Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,379 members, 7,808,346 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:40 AM

Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt (34124 Views)

We Transfered Budget For Yacht To Student Loans - Reps / FG Makes N2tn Taxes From Google, Facebook, Foreign Firms – Punch / Kyari Is A Billionaire With Posh Houses, Sells Seized Cars - Sahara Reporters (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by braveboy64(m): 7:08am On Dec 26, 2018
Hizzy:
Are they the cause of your poverty
no they aren't. but being wealthy is better than being rich. don't mingle them
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by braveboy64(m): 7:10am On Dec 26, 2018
1StopRudeness:

U sound like u are beefing the rich...the rich isn't our problem, the government and their lack of accountability is the issue

..opening more access to revenue is good...but what's the point when some few people are gonna pack it in their pockets anyways
now tell me, are the politicians poor?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by tempest69: 7:17am On Dec 26, 2018
Alert!!! Alert!!! The church is under attack..

Oledeport will not like this.

This government want to hinder The work of God from being spread..

Christians must stand against this Policies

CC: CAN
PFN
PDP
FCS
CRS
IPOB
JACK / NNAMDI KANU
BRUISED BEN
HIM'TU LIE' (OBI)
ETC...........
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by sweetilicious(f): 8:07am On Dec 26, 2018
Adeitanajoke:

Zainab Ahmed, minister of finance, says owners of yachts and private jets will begin paying luxury items from 2019.

Addressing a press conference in Abuja on Monday, the minister said excise duties would be introduced in some areas while taxes would be reduced for small and medium enterprises.

“We are exploring the way to increase taxes as well as reduce taxes in some sectors. For Small and Medium Enterprises, what will happen is to reduce taxes. But there are some special taxes that we will be looking at imposing,” she said.

“For example, luxury taxes. If you have a private jet, we will be taxing you specially for that. If you have a yacht, we will be charging you for that and also in terms of excise duties, there are also some new areas where excise duties will be introduced.

“We haven’t got all the approvals but one of the major areas might be that of carbonated drinks produced in the country.”

According to Ahmed, the Whistleblower Unit has recovered over N8.5 billion and $465 million among others from the 1,051 investigations conducted from tips received.

“Based on verification outcome by the Presidential Initiative on Continuous Audit (PICA), we have also paid over 2,000 former workers of our defunct national carrier- Nigeria Airways Limited,” she said.

Patience Oniha, director general of the Debt Management Office; Mary Uduk, acting director general of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Babatunde Fowler, executive chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) were also present at the briefing to give an account of the activities of their agencies.

https://all-gists..com/2018/12/billionaire-with-private-jet-yacht-to-pay-luxury-taxes-from-2019-zainab-ahmed.html

Yass.My research is working.High networth individuals should be taxed appropriately.
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by SingleWahala(f): 8:09am On Dec 26, 2018
toprealman:
Don't even try to sound like someone with a well coated brain! Go read about tax system you quoted but clearly know nothing about. Tax goes with measurable deliverables!
Set the institution right first then people like you should also be taxed on xex!
..... Mr. I know it all ! Oyaa go write about TAX teach our government and people ! tongue tongue tongue we dey wait for your TAX lecture day tongue tongue tongue
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by nelsonebby(m): 8:16am On Dec 26, 2018
braveboy64:
that's good,let them feel what the poor are going through
you’re poor? Damn! sad
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by elderken(m): 8:19am On Dec 26, 2018
RobinHood strategy ... I have never seen it successfully applied anywhere.
Hope they'll tax mega churches, luxury houses and apartments of political office holders.
Then they can go ahead and pay ordinary workers the minimum wage, while political office holders too, are paid the minimum wage as salaries.
Then we will have a great nation. Till then, forget all this cosmetic formulas.
Adeitanajoke:

Zainab Ahmed, minister of finance, says owners of yachts and private jets will begin paying luxury items from 2019.

Addressing a press conference in Abuja on Monday, the minister said excise duties would be introduced in some areas while taxes would be reduced for small and medium enterprises.

“We are exploring the way to increase taxes as well as reduce taxes in some sectors. For Small and Medium Enterprises, what will happen is to reduce taxes. But there are some special taxes that we will be looking at imposing,” she said.

“For example, luxury taxes. If you have a private jet, we will be taxing you specially for that. If you have a yacht, we will be charging you for that and also in terms of excise duties, there are also some new areas where excise duties will be introduced.

“We haven’t got all the approvals but one of the major areas might be that of carbonated drinks produced in the country.”

According to Ahmed, the Whistleblower Unit has recovered over N8.5 billion and $465 million among others from the 1,051 investigations conducted from tips received.

“Based on verification outcome by the Presidential Initiative on Continuous Audit (PICA), we have also paid over 2,000 former workers of our defunct national carrier- Nigeria Airways Limited,” she said.

Patience Oniha, director general of the Debt Management Office; Mary Uduk, acting director general of the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Babatunde Fowler, executive chairman of the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) were also present at the briefing to give an account of the activities of their agencies.

https://all-gists..com/2018/12/billionaire-with-private-jet-yacht-to-pay-luxury-taxes-from-2019-zainab-ahmed.html

1 Like

Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by juniorstar(m): 9:02am On Dec 26, 2018
Very good! This is how its done in advanced climes. The fact is dat such initiative isnt new in Nigeria lateef jakande one time lagos state governor did something similar for him to be able to build low cost housing estates for middle and low income earners.The point is not generating revenue, its making sure the masses feel the impact and not wasting it on white elephant projects.

1 Like

Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Asour: 9:04am On Dec 26, 2018
braveboy64:

do you know how Agbero exploit petty trader

Yes I know. There are bad rich people just like there are bad poor people. My point is the 'General' demonization of the good with the bad. And since you cannot identify all the bad from the good, Isn't is unfair to view all the rich as bad?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Legacypower(m): 9:05am On Dec 26, 2018
Whether the government tax the rich based on luxury tax, the rich would always have a way to manipulate their taxes, the taxes levied on the rich would soon get back to the poor masses in one way or the other.. Let's not rejoice that the government is taxing the rich and leaving the poor.... It must get back to the poor in one way or the other..
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by SarkinYarki: 9:06am On Dec 26, 2018
ImperialYoruba:
Add to the list luxury vehicles...

Rolls Royce
Bentley
Maybach
Bugatti

na jealousy go finish you ..All Buharist are bad belle people
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Nobody: 9:30am On Dec 26, 2018
NinjaMetahuman:
you think politicians are making money from their salary?

dino has a buggati worth 3billion naira. a career politician.

you think 13million per month is enough to buy that?

which Bugatti is worth 3 billion? the Bugatti veyron which I very much doubt that dino owns is about $1.2m and maxes out at $3m, about 360million for standard versions to 1 billion for exclusive versions. Yes politicians steal, but don't exaggerate figures, its not cool at all.

Besides if the heavy oil wealth that Nigeria has earned could not be equitably distributed to where it can generate maximum value and create socio-economic impact by means of a functional financial system , do you think it is the relatively much smaller proceeds from luxury tax that would make a difference?
Think again!

that is how peter obi is earning their sentiment by saying he stays in medium scale hotels to save government bills, like a few millions in a year can offset the impact of gross mismanagement of billions.
Think again!

No matter how much a country earns, if there is no rock solid financial system in place to make sure the monies earned generate maximum value, it will all go to waste. Denmark, Sweden, Netherlands, Finland, Singapore, none of them have any major cash spinning natural resources, but they have some of the best financial systems in the world and they rank at the very top of the HDI(Human development Index), some of the best countries to live in.

Nigeria would have been so much better if Nigerians placed objective value on persons who have the capacity and heart willingness to do what needs to be done, rather than silly sentiments when it comes to electing leaders.
some of the campaign promises put forth by our candidates would be an insult to the intelligence of an Japanese high school kid

1 Like

Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by NinjaMetahuman: 10:03am On Dec 26, 2018
soul95:

which Bugatti is worth 3 billion? the Bugatti veyron which I very much doubt that dino owns is about $1.2m and maxes out at $3m, about 360million for standard versions to 1 billion for exclusive versions. Yes politicians steal, but don't exaggerate figures, its not cool at all.

melayo has over 10 classic and exotic cars running to billions in purchase and maintenance.

living in mansion
spending on his children abroad
spending on lawyers and political career

(note this guy is a career politician) and never known to be from rich family..

now explain to me how a person earning 160 million a year in salary is able to do all these?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Nobody: 10:39am On Dec 26, 2018
tiredoflife:

You sounded as if u know but ended up showing the world you know nothing about taxation

The govt sees a trend
They know the spending pattern of the poor
They know the wanna be rich middle class loves luxury goods
Statics are pouring in on how imported luxury goods are in high demand
So who is the law targeting
You feel the subsidy thieves
The truly rich
The dangote
Or the EMoney of today
Hehehehehe

I laugh at you
You tried to school someone but you too need schooling

The rich may have those things
But they don't own it technically
It was bought in the name of their companies
Which will go to company spending under some funny names they will create
While u the poor earn salary and its taxed before u spend
The rich earn through their companies
Spend all they like under different company spending clauses
And the balance they still are taxed so low or nothing at all if they declare losses for the year

So the law is for the poor
The rich don't own private jets or luxury goods
They only use what is owned by their companies which they allocated to themselves

So you see why I said you sounded smart but you ain't smart

I have no words for someone that sounds as willfully ignorant as you do. There is a reason why scandinavian countries have some of the highest standards of living in the world. If you were a knowledgeable person, you'd see familiarities between the policies this government is trying to exert and those in countries like Denmark, Sweden, Finland and Iceland.

Enjoy your delusion if you don't know what luxury tax is and how important they are for a functioning society. Unregulated capatalism has blinded you completely.

Like I said, enjoy your ignorance
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by TheEconomist: 12:54pm On Dec 26, 2018
RealTrump:

I quoted you among others because of your moniker. You need to take a walk down history lane to understand how the tax came about.

In the beginning, the government told the masses that tax is only for the rich n everyone out of spite voted for it. The government loved the money and extended it to the poor too.

However, what truly makes a rich man is by virtue of the business he has. I have never seen a billionaire professor, for instance. In essence, the rich will find a way to include those travel cost in the expense section of their balance sheet and then, invite the tax man to remove their share. In a short, no rich man with half a brain will pay that tax.

Well, I have a pretty good grip of tax history. Although, I am still trying to verify at what point in history the bolded occurred.
However, if I understand you correctly, what you are implying is that the rich will devise ways to avoid paying these taxes and possibly with the collusion of corrupt tax officials. It is left for the appropriate authority to address the issue.
But if what you are inferring to is the shifting of the tax burden to the final consumer, then it is a different issue altogether.
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by TheEconomist: 1:00pm On Dec 26, 2018
ithink7:
You guys are not smart.

Rich people will move to another country with their money. What happen next? Economy will collapse. Then the blame game continue.

You think America, Canada, Europe are stupid for making it easy for rich and successful people to come to their country.

Try this, if you have at least 10m naira cash, maybe 20m. Go to Canadian embassy and see how fast they'll grant you visa.

braveboy64 ImperialYoruba amaechi1 ayomilore TheEconomist omoteacher

But for the impolite way you began your argument I would have educated you a little .
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Ayed44: 1:20pm On Dec 26, 2018
tempest69:
Alert!!! Alert!!! The church is under attack..

Oledeport will not like this.

This government want to hinder The work of God from being spread..

Christians must stand against this Policies

CC: CAN
PFN
PDP
FCS
CRS
IPOB
JACK / NNAMDI KANU
BRUISED BEN
HIM'TU LIE' (OBI)
ETC...........
Is there any need for this?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by toprealman: 1:29pm On Dec 26, 2018
SingleWahala:
..... Mr. I know it all ! Oyaa go write about TAX teach our government and people ! tongue tongue tongue we dey wait for your TAX lecture day tongue tongue tongue
No be so my dear...this is what they want, for us to keep fighting ourselves. Let's be guided sweetheart.
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Nuel042: 1:35pm On Dec 26, 2018
amaechi1:
Should Atiku wins (God forbid) do you think he will continue with the policy being a private jet owner?

Go and sit down.
Why your grandpa no start the policy since 2015 or is it because election is near and he want to use it and deceive Nigeria again.

SAY NO TO BUHARI PROMISE.
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Khristiantus(m): 3:02pm On Dec 26, 2018
Lankybaby:
davido and likes who owns private jet
He doesn’t have one please..
His on rentage with Execujets Nigeria
Don’t be talking what you don’t know
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by 77up(m): 3:05pm On Dec 26, 2018
So they don't pay before what a country, try that in UK
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by braveboy64(m): 5:08pm On Dec 26, 2018
Asour:

Yes I know. There are bad rich people just like there are bad poor people. My point is the 'General' demonization of the good with the bad. And since you cannot identify all the bad from the good, Isn't is unfair to view all the rich as bad?
or do you know how much drivers pay
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by braveboy64(m): 5:11pm On Dec 26, 2018
nelsonebby:
you’re poor? Damn! sad
and you are damn rich. isn't it?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by braveboy64(m): 5:26pm On Dec 26, 2018
nelsonebby:
you’re poor? Damn! sad
And you are damn rich. isn't it?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Nobody: 8:00pm On Dec 26, 2018
braveboy64:

no they aren't.
but being wealthy is better than being rich. don't mingle them
Okay but we shouldn't condemn the rich because we also wants to be Rich too
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Nobody: 8:01pm On Dec 26, 2018
Mace0lane:
. In Nigeria some rich are, in fact a lot n an example of that things include monopoly Dangote n many rich enjoyed, Saraki not paying duties on butter cars while I pray tru my nose to pay clearing fees on accidented vehicles. Advantageous govt policies favoring the rich n many more such outrageous nonsense. Pls don’t ask silly questions after this.
Okay sir but I wasn't talking about politicians
But Business men
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by Asour: 1:51pm On Dec 27, 2018
braveboy64:

or do you know how much drivers pay

I think you should slow down and consider the topic at hand here. We are not just talking about any rich here, we are talking Private jet rich. How many Agberos do you know that own a private jet for starters?
Re: Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt by KingWarri: 10:41pm On Feb 14, 2019
Things like this na we expect Buhari to do since....
this go make people they careful of thier spendings...
Awon private jet owners una never shi somefin... �

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Kazeem Ololade, Ogun Councillor Commissions Windows Newly Installed (photo) / APC Thugs Ambush Peoples Gazette’s Reporter At Lagos Polling Unit, Delete Files / The Construction Of The Abuja World Trade Center (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.