Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,257 members, 7,807,887 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:48 PM

Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? (344 Views)

We Will Not Rest Until LP Takes Over Govt And Provide Quality Leadership - Abure / Makinde Lied! Atiku Was Among The 1st Commiserate With The Govt & People Of Oyo / Nnamdi Kanu Continues To Meet With Powerful Israeli And Jewish Agencies And NGOs (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by socialmediaman: 3:08pm On Dec 27, 2018
I’ve recently observed a rise in the rate of suicides in Nigeria, something considered abominable or even impossible over 10 years ago when Nigerians were said to be one of the happiest people globally.

One could easily take a guess that suicidal thoughts are the result of the economic situation of the country and personal finance, but research has shown that the reasons People commit suicide are beyond being financially broke

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-in-world/201004/the-six-reasons-people-attempt-suicide%3famp

My question is, what are the Government and NGOs and other organizations like Religious worship places doing about helping prevent suicide in their geographic jurisdictions? When I mention government, this is beyond FG, I mean the local and state governments

I believe This issue is very important based on its prevalence in recent times, Can we discuss what’s available, what’s being planned and what could be done?

- SocialMediaMan

lalasticlala mynd44

Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by MycroftHolmes: 3:10pm On Dec 27, 2018
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by NaijaRoyalty(m): 3:12pm On Dec 27, 2018
Buhari and his bad economy policies , responsible for the high rate of suicide cases in Nigeria .
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by booblacain(m): 3:17pm On Dec 27, 2018
Yes it has. My cousin's baby daddy just committed suicide, died yesterday. He was just 17yrs old. It's a sad situation.
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by socialmediaman: 3:21pm On Dec 27, 2018
booblacain:
Yes it has. My cousin's baby daddy just committed suicide, died yesterday. He was just 17yrs old. It's a sad situation.

This is seriously alarming, unheard of back in the days
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by madridguy(m): 3:27pm On Dec 27, 2018
Too much exposure to western culture.
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by yomi007k(m): 3:27pm On Dec 27, 2018
booblacain:

Oh my...
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by Nukilia: 3:28pm On Dec 27, 2018
What concerns government with suicide in Nigeria? Soldiers dey die government dey deny their death, how much more civilians...

1 Like

Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by booblacain(m): 3:33pm On Dec 27, 2018
socialmediaman:

This is seriously alarming, unheard of back in the days

That's because the physical, mental and psychological pressure on people, especially the young ones is on the increase.
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by newschartapp: 3:35pm On Dec 27, 2018
Yes its increasing. Check our stats below from https://newschartapp.com/suicide. Though we cannot proffer solutions but we have put together a tracker https://www.newschartapp.com/links/?q=rg&sort=year&id=21&t=618&st=2016-01-01&ed=2018-12-27&p=1 which you can use to collate suicide news stories, then read and identify causes.

Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by socialmediaman: 3:43pm On Dec 27, 2018
booblacain:

That's because the physical, mental and psychological pressure on people, especially the young ones is on the increase.

I agree with you on this. I wish someday we can actually talk about these more on air and be able to do something to really help people on the edge. Also, it seems we're yet to take depression seriously, many people see it as a weakness rather than a mental illness
Re: Has Suicide Become Rife In Nigeria? What Are The Govt And NGOs Doing To Help? by techking: 3:59pm On Dec 27, 2018
Oh God!!! we need u

(1) (Reply)

Hot News - APC Presidential Campaign Kicks Off In Akwa Ibom Friday / Apc What Is Pdp Offence?? / Benue Pdp Mourns Tragic Loss Of Party Faithful In Zone 'c', Postpones Flag-off

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.