Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,807 members, 7,802,580 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 04:42 PM

From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle (67764 Views)

Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by nahinbdis: 3:41am On Dec 29, 2018
This is typical of the orderliness observed everywhere. Space for the physically challenged... live and let live

28 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by nahinbdis: 3:43am On Dec 29, 2018
People wey don belleful

31 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by nahinbdis: 3:46am On Dec 29, 2018
Signs like these are fairly common for unskilled labour. You will also find signs for help wanted at various outlets.

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by nahinbdis: 3:51am On Dec 29, 2018
Banks in Nigeria still have a long way to go in terms of customer service. The way a Scotia Bank staff focused on serving me, you would think I was carrying wads of dollars. Plenty freebies and credit card offers.

So end of day one... bank account, phone number and other petty stuff settled. Job hustle starts from Monday.

49 Likes 3 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Olalekank(m): 3:54am On Dec 29, 2018
nahinbdis:
Banks in Nigeria still have a long way to go in terms of customer service. The way a Scotia Bank staff focused on serving me, you would think I was carrying wads of dollars. Plenty freebies and credit card offers.

So end of day one... bank account, phone number and other petty stuff settled. Job hustle starts from Monday.
May you be favoured with a good job!
Good luck!

BTW, are you into the tech related field?

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by surryade(m): 5:23am On Dec 29, 2018

So end of day one... bank account, phone number and other petty stuff settled. Job hustle starts from Monday

Tell us how you got started and successful

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Mapleking: 8:05am On Dec 29, 2018
nahinbdis:

For Canadian winter gear, Yaba is the place to go. Budget 3k for the jacket (depending on the quality and your bargaining power) and anything from 6k for good shoes.

Thanks baba. God's favour be with you in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Mapleking: 8:10am On Dec 29, 2018
Very well articulated. Can I PM you, I need to have you in my network.

nahinbdis:
So why am I relocating? Here are a few thoughts.

1. If you want to be a global citizen, making impact on a global scale and contributing to global conversations, you cannot afford to stick with only your Nigerian passport for now. For example, I was billed to speak at a global conference earlier this year. I couldn't get a visa interview slot one month to the conference... and guess what... I missed the conference. Holding a Canadian PR would have made a world of difference! Again, apply for an American non-immigrant visa from Nigeria and you will be given maximum of 2yrs. Apply from Canada as a Nigerian holding Canadian PR, you get 10yrs. Go figure! Besides, applying today, the earliest US visa appointment date you will get is most likely sometime in May 2019.

2. There is an absolute lack of security and value for human life in Nigeria. People die/are killed as if its a normal phenomenon. From accidents and Danfo without brakes, to robbers, kidnappers, Police & Army shootings, cultists, etc. We end up dissipating so much personal time and resources to combat these issues that we have little to invest in development issues. I would rather live in an environment where my driving a 2018 Lexus SUV does not bother anyone and will not attract undue attention, than do the same in Lagos and live under constant threat of robbers and kidnappers.

3. Business! Am a business-driven person and a stakeholder in the tech scene. If I put a quarter of the effort I put into my businesses in Nigeria into a business in Canada...the net worth by now would be in millions of $$$ at least. Again, the support structure for start-ups is fantastic in Canada. Aside mentoring and other perks, a start-up by a new PR can access up to $50k in credit at discounted interest rates. What support structure do we have in Nigeria?

4. A system that works will always attract the best people, and a system that does not work will chase away experts and desirable capital. Nigeria's system is not only flailing, but is also designed to frustrate innovation and hardwork. Thus, businesses fail, banks crash and millions of people become jobless, yet the Govt carries on like its business as usual. Nigeria is now the poverty capital of the world and the Government is still in denial.

5. The forecast for 2019 and the following years is too bleak. For example, the Federal Govt is barely managing to hold exchange rates, but once the elections are done, and whether Buhari wins or lose, the Naira and the economy will take a beating, leading to another round of woes for the populace.

6. Life expectancy - the 2017 life expectancy for Nigeria is 53.6, while it is 82.6 for Canada. This implies that on the average, a child born in Canada will live almost 30yrs longer than one born in Nigeria... and the reasons are obvious; better healthcare, standard of living, etc.

7. I did 5hrs in Lagos traffic 5 days a week. I don't need a doctor to tell me that I was damaging my health. Is there a comprehensive roadmap to address the challenge of Lagos traffic within the next 5-10yrs?

As someone that used to be in the Naija for life brigade, I only needed to travel internationally a few times to realise that what we have in Nigeria is not normal. I will not use my head to break coconut.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Mapleking: 8:15am On Dec 29, 2018
nahinbdis:
This is typical of the orderliness observed everywhere. Space for the physically challenged... live and let live

I was ashamed when I saw car parked at such spaces designated for physically challenged at an event center in Lagos even with the big sign on the space.

8 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by bomasek(m): 8:25am On Dec 29, 2018
nahinbdis:

Many people relocate in other to give their children a better life...for them, its a sacrifice that they have to make. For me, though the move is beneficial to my children, it is first about me, before it is about them, afterall I still have a life to live.

Canada, or any other country for that matter is not necessarily the greener pasture. If you know who you are, the investment you have made in yourself, and the value of what you have, you will know that the greener pasture is first inside you. You can make anywhere green for yourself if you have invested the right stuff in yourself overtime.
Na now u land, more blessings
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by speedyconnect3: 8:48am On Dec 29, 2018
nahinbdis:

Yes Sir... actually, a bit more than N500k Naira monthly. You get to a point in your life where you find out that money is not a good motivator, particularly because you will always want more of it. So you don't make life-impacting decisions on the basis of money alone.

Besides, N500k monthly is not so much money. It is less than $2k CAD... a dishwasher on minimum wage makes more than that in Toronto.

Does the dishwasher spend it in Nigeria ?

All these dollar to naira comparison is sickening.

14 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by lordally(m): 9:01am On Dec 29, 2018
nahinbdis:
So why am I relocating? Here are a few thoughts.

1. If you want to be a global citizen, making impact on a global scale and contributing to global conversations, you cannot afford to stick with only your Nigerian passport for now. For example, I was billed to speak at a global conference earlier this year. I couldn't get a visa interview slot one month to the conference... and guess what... I missed the conference. Holding a Canadian PR would have made a world of difference! Again, apply for an American non-immigrant visa from Nigeria and you will be given maximum of 2yrs. Apply from Canada as a Nigerian holding Canadian PR, you get 10yrs. Go figure! Besides, applying today, the earliest US visa appointment date you will get is most likely sometime in May 2019.

2. There is an absolute lack of security and value for human life in Nigeria. People die/are killed as if its a normal phenomenon. From accidents and Danfo without brakes, to robbers, kidnappers, Police & Army shootings, cultists, etc. We end up dissipating so much personal time and resources to combat these issues that we have little to invest in development issues. I would rather live in an environment where my driving a 2018 Lexus SUV does not bother anyone and will not attract undue attention, than do the same in Lagos and live under constant threat of robbers and kidnappers.

3. Business! Am a business-driven person and a stakeholder in the tech scene. If I put a quarter of the effort I put into my businesses in Nigeria into a business in Canada...the net worth by now would be in millions of $$$ at least. Again, the support structure for start-ups is fantastic in Canada. Aside mentoring and other perks, a start-up by a new PR can access up to $50k in credit at discounted interest rates. What support structure do we have in Nigeria?

4. A system that works will always attract the best people, and a system that does not work will chase away experts and desirable capital. Nigeria's system is not only flailing, but is also designed to frustrate innovation and hardwork. Thus, businesses fail, banks crash and millions of people become jobless, yet the Govt carries on like its business as usual. Nigeria is now the poverty capital of the world and the Government is still in denial.

5. The forecast for 2019 and the following years is too bleak. For example, the Federal Govt is barely managing to hold exchange rates, but once the elections are done, and whether Buhari wins or lose, the Naira and the economy will take a beating, leading to another round of woes for the populace.

6. Life expectancy - the 2017 life expectancy for Nigeria is 53.6, while it is 82.6 for Canada. This implies that on the average, a child born in Canada will live almost 30yrs longer than one born in Nigeria... and the reasons are obvious; better healthcare, standard of living, etc.

7. I did 5hrs in Lagos traffic 5 days a week. I don't need a doctor to tell me that I was damaging my health. Is there a comprehensive roadmap to address the challenge of Lagos traffic within the next 5-10yrs?

As someone that used to be in the Naija for life brigade, I only needed to travel internationally a few times to realise that what we have in Nigeria is not normal. I will not use my head to break coconut.

Bro please are you into Software or Network security
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by maternal: 9:17am On Dec 29, 2018
speedyconnect3:

Does the dishwasher spend it in Nigeria ?

All these dollar to naira comparison is sickening.

At the same time taxes abroad covers more, leaving room for one to have more disposable income. I understand your point though.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (19) (Reply)

Just Collected My International Passport / See The ₦155m Lamborghini That Every Plane Must Follow At Italy's Airport / A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.