Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,905 members, 7,802,935 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 04:15 AM

From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle - Travel (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle (67766 Views)

Road Trip To Toronto, Ontario, Canada From Pennsylvania / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program- Connect Here Part 4 / Canadian Express Entry/Federal Skilled Workers Program-Connect Here Part 3 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by adebee16: 3:56pm On Jan 08, 2019
https://www.nairaland.com/4843199/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled read and digest everything on the first page.

Mekanus:
I'm interested in traveling to Canada, could you point me to where and what to read?

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Toseenlove: 2:36pm On Jan 12, 2019
JennyKadry2:

Shallow minds.

You all think people leave Nigeria for financial reasons.

I pray all you team #500k do not fall seriously sick in Nigeria and require dialysis, radiotherapy or chemo. We will see how far 500k will go towards your treatment plus your other bills

Ndi iberibe

Thank u for educating them. They really lack exposure and Poverty has eaten deep a vast amount of their Medulla.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Toseenlove: 2:37pm On Jan 12, 2019
AngelicBeing:
Spot on, l have friends who left oil company jobs in Nigeria earning between 500,000 naira to 1.5 million Naira per month , they relocated from the headquarters of poverty due to the uncertainty in the country, health, security etc were part of the reasons they vammoosed out of Nigeria, life is not about money, salary etc but some people just want a decent lifestyle for themselves and kids which the headquarters of poverty cannot guarantee shocked

You couldn't have said It any better.

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by mslilybeth(f): 4:16pm On Jan 12, 2019
@bomasek

All they are trying to explain to you is the 500k job can't gurantee a great future for you in this country of consistent recession,one can be sacked any time, I lost my job too in 2017, my Opportunist colleagues got out earlier, remember inflation too, you spend more so how long Will this 500k last?

4 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Mizwisdom(f): 4:52pm On Jan 12, 2019
mslilybeth:
@bomasek

All they are trying to explain to you is the 500k job can't gurantee a great future for you in this country of consistent recession,one can be sacked any time, I lost my job too in 2017, my Opportunist colleagues got out earlier, remember inflation too, you spend more so how long Will this 500k last?

Justwise, off topic should be deleted both for and against, let the OP continue his diary without all these distraction's
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Icon2007: 7:10pm On Jan 12, 2019
Guitarlife:

I will make this quick, I have seen people resign a millolion naira per month job and relocate to canada.

I know not less than 5 people earning more than 500k resign and relocate to Canada, you need to understand that its when you are broke money looks like the answer to all problems.

When you have money it dawns on you that money is not the answer to all problems.

I am not in anyway against people leaving their 500k or 1million naira job to relocate. The truth is that some resign due to pressure in their place of work. Especially Bankers that are marketers, once there is no more prospects and the pressure is mounting in some cases some of them will be sacked if they refused to resign and relocate. know the actual reason behind it.

2 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by bomasek(m): 9:26pm On Jan 12, 2019
mslilybeth:
@bomasek

We all can't jet due to unforseen circumstance,sorry for your plight though. I pray u bounce back in no time
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by bomasek(m): 9:29pm On Jan 12, 2019
Mizwisdom:

Justwise, off topic should be deleted both for and against, let the OP continue his diary without all these distraction's
How was your day?
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by shege45: 10:24pm On Jan 12, 2019
Mekanus:
I'm interested in traveling to Canada, could you point me to where and what to read?
express entry
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by mslilybeth(f): 2:06pm On Jan 13, 2019
bomasek:
We all can't jet due to unforseen circumstance,sorry for your plight though. I pray u bounce back in no time
Thanks alot smiley
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Amicable22: 4:29pm On Jan 14, 2019
@Nahinbdis
I'm totally enjoying your transition story so far...I just pray I get to this very point one day.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by cronsberg: 11:08am On Jan 19, 2019
surryade:

All ds will make you miss home
Yeah, but am sure if i was the one in that winter setting, reclyning comfortably on a comfy couch, wearing a fluffy snuggy, a hot cup of chocola in hand, and watching awesome movies on netflix on a 50 inch plasma, will definitely make me completely forget nigeria forever. And that lifestyle is very easily attainable in canada but almost impossible in nigeria from lack of netflix itself to dismal electric power to zero true unlimited broadband internet etc

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by SolutionsGuy: 11:16am On Jan 19, 2019
No sign of OP yet?
Be like say that guy don go take leg cross railway, police arrest am o.

5 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by TissuePaper: 11:57am On Feb 19, 2019
austino677:
why don't you wait for OP to start his/her story moreover read the thread title, this is not Canada vs Nigeria comparison thread.... abeg justwise sanitise the thread biko
Austin pls how much did you get your s8+....and did you buy online or in shop ...I'm about to get one now.

Also hope the phone is nice?
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by GambaOsaka: 4:05pm On Feb 19, 2019
nahinbdis:
So why am I relocating? Here are a few thoughts.

1. If you want to be a global citizen, making impact on a global scale and contributing to global conversations, you cannot afford to stick with only your Nigerian passport for now. For example, I was billed to speak at a global conference earlier this year. I couldn't get a visa interview slot one month to the conference... and guess what... I missed the conference. Holding a Canadian PR would have made a world of difference! Again, apply for an American non-immigrant visa from Nigeria and you will be given maximum of 2yrs. Apply from Canada as a Nigerian holding Canadian PR, you get 10yrs. Go figure! Besides, applying today, the earliest US visa appointment date you will get is most likely sometime in May 2019.

2. There is an absolute lack of security and value for human life in Nigeria. People die/are killed as if its a normal phenomenon. From accidents and Danfo without brakes, to robbers, kidnappers, Police & Army shootings, cultists, etc. We end up dissipating so much personal time and resources to combat these issues that we have little to invest in development issues. I would rather live in an environment where my driving a 2018 Lexus SUV does not bother anyone and will not attract undue attention, than do the same in Lagos and live under constant threat of robbers and kidnappers.

3. Business! Am a business-driven person and a stakeholder in the tech scene. If I put a quarter of the effort I put into my businesses in Nigeria into a business in Canada...the net worth by now would be in millions of $$$ at least. Again, the support structure for start-ups is fantastic in Canada. Aside mentoring and other perks, a start-up by a new PR can access up to $50k in credit at discounted interest rates. What support structure do we have in Nigeria?

4. A system that works will always attract the best people, and a system that does not work will chase away experts and desirable capital. Nigeria's system is not only flailing, but is also designed to frustrate innovation and hardwork. Thus, businesses fail, banks crash and millions of people become jobless, yet the Govt carries on like its business as usual. Nigeria is now the poverty capital of the world and the Government is still in denial.

5. The forecast for 2019 and the following years is too bleak. For example, the Federal Govt is barely managing to hold exchange rates, but once the elections are done, and whether Buhari wins or lose, the Naira and the economy will take a beating, leading to another round of woes for the populace.

6. Life expectancy - the 2017 life expectancy for Nigeria is 53.6, while it is 82.6 for Canada. This implies that on the average, a child born in Canada will live almost 30yrs longer than one born in Nigeria... and the reasons are obvious; better healthcare, standard of living, etc.

7. I did 5hrs in Lagos traffic 5 days a week. I don't need a doctor to tell me that I was damaging my health. Is there a comprehensive roadmap to address the challenge of Lagos traffic within the next 5-10yrs?

As someone that used to be in the Naija for life brigade, I only needed to travel internationally a few times to realise that what we have in Nigeria is not normal. I will not use my head to break coconut.

I don't know if you are married with kids, but in the future, your children will bless you for this decision.
I attended the open day event of a private school last sunday with my 4 year old. My brother, i kid you not, tears were almost dropping from my eyes. Death cannot be compared with sleep. I can close my eyes with 100% assurance that my daughter is getting adequate knowledge that spans a wide range of disciplines which will help craft her future path. Its unlike the naija educational system where all they do is give her home work to write 1 - 200.

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by TissuePaper: 4:08pm On Feb 19, 2019
austino677:
you bought it brand new or UK used
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by NeyofeedNigEnt: 4:47pm On Feb 19, 2019
Where is d OP nah
Wetin happen........
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by slydog(m): 9:38pm On Feb 19, 2019
GambaOsaka:

I don't know if you are married with kids, but in the future, your children will bless you for this decision.
I attended the open day event of a private school last sunday with my 4 year old. My brother, i kid you not, tears were almost dropping from my eyes. Death cannot be compared with sleep. I can close my eyes with 100% assurance that my daughter is getting adequate knowledge that spans a wide range of disciplines which will help craft her future path. Its unlike the naija educational system where all they do is give her home work to write 1 - 200.

That is why I bought into the Canadian PR idea
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by johnmettys(m): 9:53pm On Feb 19, 2019
!
nahinbdis:
Earlier today from the skies... God is great

Boarding the flight for Toronto now... will answer questions when we land

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by johnmettys(m): 9:55pm On Feb 19, 2019
What a cool look!
nahinbdis:
Earlier today from the skies... God is great

Boarding the flight for Toronto now... will answer questions when we land
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by HOGFoundation: 10:47pm On Feb 19, 2019
Father!! In this year 2019 and years to come, destroy and neutralize the power of THREAD/GLORY killers. Amen shocked

3 Likes

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Nobody: 1:41pm On Feb 20, 2019
nahinbdis:
So why am I relocating? Here are a few thoughts.

1. If you want to be a global citizen, making impact on a global scale and contributing to global conversations, you cannot afford to stick with only your Nigerian passport for now. For example, I was billed to speak at a global conference earlier this year. I couldn't get a visa interview slot one month to the conference... and guess what... I missed the conference. Holding a Canadian PR would have made a world of difference! Again, apply for an American non-immigrant visa from Nigeria and you will be given maximum of 2yrs. Apply from Canada as a Nigerian holding Canadian PR, you get 10yrs. Go figure! Besides, applying today, the earliest US visa appointment date you will get is most likely sometime in May 2019.

2. There is an absolute lack of security and value for human life in Nigeria. People die/are killed as if its a normal phenomenon. From accidents and Danfo without brakes, to robbers, kidnappers, Police & Army shootings, cultists, etc. We end up dissipating so much personal time and resources to combat these issues that we have little to invest in development issues. I would rather live in an environment where my driving a 2018 Lexus SUV does not bother anyone and will not attract undue attention, than do the same in Lagos and live under constant threat of robbers and kidnappers.

3. Business! Am a business-driven person and a stakeholder in the tech scene. If I put a quarter of the effort I put into my businesses in Nigeria into a business in Canada...the net worth by now would be in millions of $$$ at least. Again, the support structure for start-ups is fantastic in Canada. Aside mentoring and other perks, a start-up by a new PR can access up to $50k in credit at discounted interest rates. What support structure do we have in Nigeria?

4. A system that works will always attract the best people, and a system that does not work will chase away experts and desirable capital. Nigeria's system is not only flailing, but is also designed to frustrate innovation and hardwork. Thus, businesses fail, banks crash and millions of people become jobless, yet the Govt carries on like its business as usual. Nigeria is now the poverty capital of the world and the Government is still in denial.

5. The forecast for 2019 and the following years is too bleak. For example, the Federal Govt is barely managing to hold exchange rates, but once the elections are done, and whether Buhari wins or lose, the Naira and the economy will take a beating, leading to another round of woes for the populace.

6. Life expectancy - the 2017 life expectancy for Nigeria is 53.6, while it is 82.6 for Canada. This implies that on the average, a child born in Canada will live almost 30yrs longer than one born in Nigeria... and the reasons are obvious; better healthcare, standard of living, etc.

7. I did 5hrs in Lagos traffic 5 days a week. I don't need a doctor to tell me that I was damaging my health. Is there a comprehensive roadmap to address the challenge of Lagos traffic within the next 5-10yrs?

As someone that used to be in the Naija for life brigade, I only needed to travel internationally a few times to realise that what we have in Nigeria is not normal. I will not use my head to break coconut.

Wow! Somebody speaking the truth about our economy for the first time. I so much appreciate ur analysis here. Am sure most myopic people will not understand. By the way am coming to Canada soon on PR before this year laps by the grace of God.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Ifeconwaba(m): 3:40pm On Feb 20, 2019
op why are you no longer replying

1 Like

Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by Josade69: 4:16pm On Feb 20, 2019
grin
Re: From Lagos To Toronto - Follow My Canadian Hustle by stagger: 9:42pm On Feb 20, 2019
Gerrard59:

While it's possible to earn #750K in Abuja, it's rare to earn same in Calabar. A place where the economy is in doldrums? Who will pay you 750K? grin

Regarding the thread and general relocation, I believe people should comment only when necessary especially in a thread like this which is private. Yes, we know Nairaland is open for all to view, comment and share. But trying to argue that Canada is better than Nigeria or telling folks willing to relocate not to is ludicrous. Till thy kingdom comes, Canada is BETTER in every ramification than Nigeria. Folks should even be happy people are resigning their well-paid jobs. Invariably, this frees up space for the next set of smart individuals who will later relocate. wink

Moreover, it's not only Nigerians that are relocating to developed countries. Citizens of China (residents of Hong Kong), South Korea and Singapore are doing same and these are well-off nations. How much more Nigerians?

Mbok, anyone who desires to relocate has the prerogative to do so as long as it's legal.

OP, ride on, I dey your back like hunchback. cool

Where in Abuja are such salaries paid, except you are a top bank executive? I sure will like to know.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (19) (Reply)

Just Collected My International Passport / See The ₦155m Lamborghini That Every Plane Must Follow At Italy's Airport / A-29 Super Tucano Aircraft For Nigeria Marks First Flight In Florida

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.