Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,532 members, 7,808,957 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:03 PM

Health: Touching Stories On How Fruits Ripened With Carbide Kill Nigerians - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Health: Touching Stories On How Fruits Ripened With Carbide Kill Nigerians (281 Views)

The Selfishness Of FG And The Unreasonableness Of Doctors Will Kill Nigerians / Beware: How Fruits Ripened With Carbide Kill Nigerians. / Fruits Ripened With Carbide Can Cause Heart, Kidney And Liver Failure - NAFDAC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Health: Touching Stories On How Fruits Ripened With Carbide Kill Nigerians by Princehenry11: 9:14pm On Dec 28, 2018
Touching stories On How Fruits Ripened With Carbide Kill Nigerians: For the family of the late Emmanuel Okwuke, banana and plantain have become forbidden fruits. No member of the household dares bring them home. This was after Emmanuel’s life was short-lived after he consumed a bunch of his favourite fruit, banana, which he bought on the way home.

The former Information and Communications Technology Editor of Daily Independent Newspapers first battled a damaged liver before giving up the ghost on December 24, 2016.

Two years after the incident, his widow, Juli, said their life had been changed forever by the incident.

Recalling how it all started, she said, “In March 2016, he went for an event on Victoria Island and on his way back, he bought the banana at the Ketu market. My husband did not like late hour food and he always told me not to prepare food for him when it was late. So, even the food they gave him at the event, he did not taste it. He brought everything home.

“He started eating the banana inside the BRT bus en route to the house. On getting home around 12am, I was inside the room when my mother, who had come to stay with us, woke me up to say my husband had been going to the bathroom since he returned from work.

“I rushed there and he told me since he ate the banana he bought at the market, his stomach had been troubling him. He said he was in the office all day without feeling anything, until he took the fruit. He was also vomiting blood.”

She said he was admitted to a general hospital for four days and later transferred to the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital, Ikeja, for tests.

The widow said it was there the fruit he took last was examined and it was discovered calcium carbide was used in the ripening.

She noted that after some treatment, her husband was fine until he relapsed in July of the same year and was in and out of hospitals until he died on the eve of Christmas.

His liver was said to have been damaged.

Emmanuel was survived by his wife and three girls; Treasure (12), Sharon (9) and Delightsome (3).

Our correspondent, during a visit to the family house on Unity Estate, Igbogbo, Ikorodu, a community in the outskirts of Lagos, sighted the late journalist’s unmarked grave.

Delightsome, the couple’s last child together, was all over this correspondent, as she fondly called him ‘Daddy.’

The mother said the three-year-old...

Click to read more

https://dfactual.com/touching-stories-on-how-fruits-ripened-with-carbide-kill-nigerians-must-read/

(1) (Reply)

BRECAN Donates Equipment To FMC / 6 Signs You're Low In Iron, This Explains Why You're Feeling Tired All The Time / You Can Boost Alkaline With Nutrishield Herbal Extract

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.