Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,041 members, 7,807,124 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 09:54 AM

Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. (9017 Views)

Help Please My corolla Car Smokes / Toyota Corolla 2000 Short Oil, Help / Why Nigerian Mechanic Can't Fix Engine That Smoke And Short Oil (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 7:35am On Dec 29, 2018
Please house, my mother's Toyota Camry do short oil without smoking please advice on what to do.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mayor2013: 8:37am On Dec 29, 2018
Grilovictor5:
Please house, my mother's Toyota Camry do short oil without smoking please advice on what to do.

No year of vehicle
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by bravolad(m): 3:23pm On Dec 29, 2018
Grilovictor5:

Incomplete question. What model of camry? It's difficult for anyone to assist here except a magician & I'm not sure we have got any here.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by homeboy205: 11:23pm On Dec 29, 2018
It’s smoking you just don’t know

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by IghoCentric(m): 11:58pm On Dec 29, 2018
If it doesnt smoke at all and u are sure then u ve a leak.. where e fit dey drip from... check all around the engine (under too)for oil stains.. wash all u find with fuel and painters brush.. let it dry then drive the car for like 30mins.. check for oil stains again.. places to suspect.. the sump, the drain bolt, where cylinder head joins engine cover(where d camshaft dey), oil seal behind crank pulley... just wash the oily engine and be driving it the idiot will expose itself wen it leaks on the now clean engine
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 5:25pm On Dec 30, 2018
Some oil seals could have gone bad.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Arenaauto: 4:01pm On Dec 31, 2018
Grilovictor5:

The oil shortage without smoking simply implies that you will need to ring the engine soon, provided there is no oil leakage.
It is advisable to ring the engine now before it start giving out white smoke. The white smoke will lead to loss in engine compression which lead to engine overheating & high fuel consumption rate.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 8:46pm On Dec 31, 2018
Buy New Engine
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by carbon1224(m): 9:41pm On Dec 31, 2018
It’s a problem with Camry from 02-11 I think but you should try and change the piston and rings and you are good to go.look for a mechanic that knows the job or ask @gazzuzz

2 Likes

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by homeboy205: 4:42pm On Jan 01, 2019
Grilovictor5:

I can bet your car is smoking, you just don’t know yet. Have someone drive your car and tailgate it and you will know
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jan 01, 2019
Thanks for the advises. The Camry is 2008 model, is not smoking I have checked that when I ask someone to drive behind me and there is no leakage of such. I was told to change from Mobil oil to total oil.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mayor2013: 6:07pm On Jan 01, 2019
If you have a 2az engine with a high mileage. get ready for a replacement or rebuild of engine
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 9:35pm On Jan 01, 2019
Arenaauto:

The oil shortage without smoking simply implies that you will need to ring the engine soon, provided there is no oil leakage.
It is advisable to ring the engine now before it start giving out white smoke. The white smoke will lead to loss in engine compression which lead to engine overheating & high fuel consumption rate.

Diportivo come & see why your xterra was overheating & consuming fuel, its because you did not ring the engine before it started giving out white smoke grin grin

1 Like

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 9:37pm On Jan 01, 2019
Grilovictor5:
Thanks for the advises. The Camry is 2008 model, is not smoking I have checked that when I ask someone to drive behind me and there is no leakage of such. I was told to change from Mobil oil to total oil.

Can your quantify what you mean by "short oil"

Oil gets to the low mark every week? Months?
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by thebigkendo(m): 9:41pm On Jan 01, 2019
homeboy205:

I can bet your car is smoking, you just don’t know yet. Have someone drive your car and tailgate it and you will know

He can stay behind while a friend throttle hard to about 4000 - 5000rpm & hold it steady with transmission in P or N.. Am sure he will see smoke from exhaust

1 Like

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by jjohndoe83: 4:39am On Jan 02, 2019
mayor2013:
If you have a 2az engine with a high mileage. get ready for a replacement or rebuild of engine
Is a rebuild advised?
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 6:17am On Jan 02, 2019
Within two weeks there will be a reduction, but not total dry off.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 6:21am On Jan 02, 2019
Like every three weeks, oil gets to low mark and very clean
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mayor2013: 6:24am On Jan 02, 2019
jjohndoe83:

Is a rebuild advised?

Yes if genuine parts are used
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by jjohndoe83: 7:24am On Jan 02, 2019
mayor2013:

Yes if genuine parts are used
What's the estimate for rebuilding a 2003 camry?
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mayor2013: 7:36am On Jan 02, 2019
jjohndoe83:

What's the estimate for rebuilding a 2003 camry?

Upon inspection and tear down of engine. Estimate can be given
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by CityNGR: 8:23am On Jan 02, 2019
thebigkendo:

He can stay behind while a friend throttle hard to about 4000 - 5000rpm & hold it steady with transmission in P or N.. Am sure he will see smoke from exhaust
Not advisable to revv a stationary car that much
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by HeavenlyBang(m): 8:34am On Jan 02, 2019
CityNGR:

Not advisable to revv a stationary car that much

I'm pretty sure that's a myth....as long as the car is up to temperature it should be fine.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by CityNGR: 8:37am On Jan 02, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

I'm pretty sure that's a myth....as long as the car is up to temperature it should be fine.
Not all cars!! It's no myth.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by MotorGuru: 9:11am On Jan 02, 2019
Grilovictor5:

The 2nd generation 2AZ-FE engine installed in the 2007-09 camry and 2006-08 Rav4, were revised with new pistons and rings , which unfortunately defective with respect to oil control. they carboned up easily and then ultimately lead to increase oil consumption in as early as 70,000 miles. this led to class action suits in the US forcing Toyota to perform oil consumption test and ultimately replacing the Pistons and rings for free.

It is very likely your camry is a victim to this, and therefore your only option maybe to rebuild your engine(by replacing the pistons and rings with the EXACT REVISED PART) or replace your engine.

If you are going for a rebuild, Please note that the pistons and rings MUST be specific to the 2AZ-FE in your car. The pistons and rings of the 1st generation 2AZ-FE (found in 2002-2006 camry, 2004-2005 Toyota Rav4 and 2001-2007 Toyota highlander) WILL NOT BE COMPATIBLE.

If you go ahead with such installation without this caution, serious piston slap will occur.

3 Likes

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by Nobody: 11:26am On Jan 02, 2019
I was also advised to change from Mobil oil to total oil because Mobil do dry off from engine. I noticed that is not smoking and the oil is always clean, but short if I travel for a long distance. Specifically three weeks and some days after change of oil. But I top it immediately I noticed that.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by homeboy205: 5:13pm On Jan 02, 2019
Grilovictor5:

PLEAEE HOLD ON AND READ THIS BEFORE THINKING ABOUT RINGING

Do you know 2AZ-FE has something called PCV(Positive ventilation Valve) on the engine cover that draw out unused pressure caused by oil pump in the engine The pressure is transferred to your intake box and contribute to air and fuel mixture in other to attain optimal performance...

This is the case

It is really a cheap fix... Note: the valve will always go faulty in two ways. It might be faulty in open loop, or faulty in close loop... if faulty in open loop it will allows oil from your engine to escape through the valve to the intake box whereas it burnt off as air and fuel mixture in the combustion.. If faulty in closed loop it will throw a misfire error code but in your case let’s assume it’s faulty in open loop...

This has happened to my Toyota Camry 2002 2AZ-FE before and I fixed it myself, it was faulty in open loop and I was losing oil no leak but I was sure it was not my piston ring cos I just had it rebuilt 2 months prior. On checking it the spring in the valve has broken so oil is always sucked from there. I just went to Gate spare part and bought another for #1000... 22’ Ring spanner that needed in losing it... came home and fixed it myself.. voila it fixes no more oil shortage.

The valve is at the back of the engine on the engine cover there is a hose that go all the way to your intake on top....

Please and please give this a try before thinking about anything it’s a really cheap fix

1 Like

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mayor2013: 5:16pm On Jan 02, 2019
homeboy205:

Do you know 2AZ-FE has something called PCV(Positive ventilation Valve) on the engine cover that draw out unused pressure caused by oil pump in the engine The pressure is transferred to your intake box and contribute to air and fuel mixture in other to attain optimal performance...

This is the case

It is really a cheap fix... Note: the valve will always go faulty in two ways. It might be faulty in open loop, or faulty in close loop... if faulty in open loop it will allows oil from your engine to escape through the valve to the intake box whereas it burnt off as air and fuel mixture in the combustion.. If faulty in closed loop it will throw a misfire error code but in your case let’s assume it’s faulty in open loop...

This has happened to my Toyota Camry 2002 2AZ-FE before and I fixed it myself, it was faulty in open loop and I was losing oil no leak but I was sure it was not my piston ring cos I just had it rebuilt 2 months prior. On checking it the spring in the valve has broken so oil is always sucked from there. I just went to Gate spare part and bought another for #1000... 22’ Ring spanner that needed in losing it... came home and fixed it myself.. voila it fixes no more oil shortage.

The valve is at the back of the engine on the engine cover there is a hose that go all the way to your intake on top....

Please and please give this a try before thinking about anything it’s a really cheap fix

This is not a PCV valve case

1 Like

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by homeboy205: 5:18pm On Jan 02, 2019
mayor2013:

This is not a PCV valve case

Well it’s a cheap fix and it worth trying

Well it’s a cheap fix and it worth trying since there is no physical leaks under the hood, and the car is not smoking and the interval which oil gets to low mark, that means the oil is escaping bit by bit and burning off in the combustion... If it is piston ring, he will surely notice the smoke because it will burning off instantly in the combustion...

1 Like

Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mayor2013: 7:46pm On Jan 02, 2019
homeboy205:

Well it’s a cheap fix and it worth trying

Well it’s a cheap fix and it worth trying since there is no physical leaks under the hood, and the car is not smoking and the interval which oil gets to low mark, that means the oil is escaping bit by bit and burning off in the combustion... If it is piston ring, he will surely notice the smoke because it will burning off instantly in the combustion...

Your last paragraph doesn't apply most time. If it's a case of PCV valve he can't drive that long distance before the engine finally locks.
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by mejai(m): 9:54pm On Jan 02, 2019
OP, just manage ur car like dat. It is worrisome to see d oil consumption each tym u check dipstick.

Well, like someone said, it is a factory fault. Since it is not smoking with any of the rainbow colours, just be topping it with d oil till ur next oil change.

But, try go under ur car and check for any visible Leakages. Crankshaft seal could still be culprit and if u r in lag, consult gazzuzz to get original seal. Check my profile and u see where i requested for d seal and he helped out.

Even till now, my corolla still shorts oil and no wahala. And d manual still says u top up oil after 1000km
Re: Help Please!!!!! Toyota Camry Short Oil. by homeboy205: 8:31am On Jan 03, 2019
I’d like op to just look into this fix and give it a try since it’s cheap

homeboy205:

This is the case

(1) (2) (Reply)

All About Davido’s Father: Cars, Houses, Private Jet, Net Worth And Rare Facts / Why Don't Nigerian Drivers Pay Attention To Zebra Crossing?? / Traffic Offences In Lagos State According To Lastma

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.