Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,709 members, 7,802,144 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:47 AM

My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old - Agriculture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old (94265 Views)

Starting Kuroiler Farm. Journey With Us. / My Sasso Chicken Farming From Day Old / Cost Of Feed From 1,000 Birds To 10,000 Birds From The 1st Wk To 8th Or 18th Wk (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by MizCharlotte(f): 2:46pm On Mar 23, 2020
LordAzubuike:

I salute you people that rear turkeys. Those things most especially the female ones are highly destructive (they eat plants) and are terrible noise makers, making noise up and down like they are looking for something they lost . They will climb fence or be wandering up and down making some irritating noise like they are looking for a lost treasure.
I bought those things early last year and vowed never to try raring such again. To make matters worse, 5 out of 7 were females. The rest were males. The males also make noise but theirs is not as high pitch, weird and irritating and the female noise. All the males do is spread their feather and gobble . The females on the other sound makes some kind of noise I can't call gobbling. It's like a noise of an outcry , a bit similar to that of a peacocks noise. They eat growing plants ( it was because of them I started using roofing sheets to protect my seedlings) . They climb fence just as you said or any high surface to make those irritating noise, sometimes you think food is their problem and you pour them food but no, tey continue the noise making. It was hell on Earth. The day I finally sold them, my Sunday afternoon sleeps became more peaceful.

31 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Walexz02(m): 11:44pm On Mar 23, 2020
MizCharlotte:

I bought those things early last year and vowed never to try raring such again. To make matters worse, 5 out of 7 were females. The rest were males. The males also make noise but theirs is not as high pitch, weird and irritating and the female noise. All the males do is spread their feather and gobble . The females on the other sound makes some kind of noise I can't call gobbling. It's like a noise of an outcry , a bit similar to that of a peacocks noise. They eat growing plants ( it was because of them I started using roofing sheets to protect my seedlings) . They climb fence just as you said or any high surface to make those irritating noise, sometimes you think food is their problem and you pour them food but no, tey continue the noise making. It was hell on Earth. The day I finally sold them, my Sunday afternoon sleeps became more peaceful.
grin grin grin grin turkey are weird animals indeed. If you can't deal with noise you can't rear them .
They won't allow any seedling to grow. I remember planting potato and my turkeys are all the seedling. When I came back that evening I near killed them all. Anyways , I love turkeys

3 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by jidestroud(m): 5:20pm On Apr 18, 2020
The Unfortunate Incident

A snake came visiting over the week. Lost 5 female kuroilers (4 missing and the last one stretched out on the ground, covered in saliva), and my two cats (Jumia & Rubbie). Such a terrible loss, especially my beloved cats. Words alone can't describe the pain I feel. cry cry cry

Help Please
Any suggestions on the right type of trap I could use to capture this predator. For it to have been able to swallow 4 big birds, it must indeed be a very large snake and I intend to cash it alive)

1 Like

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by excanny: 7:29pm On Apr 18, 2020
jidestroud:
The Unfortunate Incident

A snake came visiting over the week. Lost 5 female kuroilers (4 missing and the last one stretched out on the ground, covered in saliva), and my two cats (Jumia & Rubbie). Such a terrible loss, especially my beloved cats. Words alone can't describe the pain I feel. cry cry cry

Help Please
Any suggestions on the right type of trap I could use to capture this predator. For it to have been able to swallow 4 big birds, it must indeed be a very large snake and I intend to cash it alive)

Looks like a python. Is your farm fenced?

Its a bit elusive to trap a python cos they can be very big to fit into a cage trap.

So your first line of defence may be to build a snake-proof fence that is plastered and slippery around your poultry farm and see if it makes it difficult for the snake to attack.

And if you are brave enough, you could give this DIY snake trap i. the video below a try. Be careful not to get bitten tho. And have people around to help you kill it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4Pjc3mNG8

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by jidestroud(m): 8:33pm On Apr 18, 2020
excanny:

Looks like a python. Is your farm fenced?

Its a bit elusive to trap a python cos they can be very big to fit into a cage trap.

So your first line of defence may be to build a snake-proof fence that is plastered and slippery around your poultry farm and see if it makes it difficult for the snake to attack.

And if you are brave enough, you could give this DIY snake trap i. the video below a try. Be careful not to get bitten tho. And have people around to help you kill it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3l4Pjc3mNG8

It didn't happen on the farm. Brought home 7 birds to be sold off to a buyer when the incident occurred. Yes, home is close to a swamp with lots of monkeys and ofcos reptiles. But, this is the first time I am directly affected and to make matters worse, my cats got missing same night.

I initially used boiled egg with hook drilled into it which was then tied to a twine attached to a block. The whatever came, ate the other 8 eggs placed alongside the cooked one without touching it. angry angry angry

3 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by excanny: 8:41pm On Apr 18, 2020
jidestroud:

It didn't happen on the farm. Brought home 7 birds to be sold off to a buyer when the incident occurred. Yes, home is close to a swamp with lots of monkeys and ofcos reptiles. But, this is the first time I am directly affected and to make matters worse, my cats got missing same night.

I initially used boiled egg with hook drilled into it which was then tied to a twine attached to a block. The whatever came, eat the other 8 eggs placed alongside the cooked one without touching it. angry angry angry

Place your hooks in all the eggs.

Hope you don't have little kids around? Be careful around that your house close to the swamp. I will advice you fence it and place electric barbed wires around.

3 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Victornezzar: 8:42pm On Apr 18, 2020
jidestroud:

I initially used boiled egg with hook drilled into it which was then tied to a twine attached to a block. The whatever came, eat the other 8 eggs placed alongside the cooked one without touching it. angry angry angry
Sorry about this bro

2 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Walexz02(m): 9:47am On Apr 19, 2020
jidestroud:
The Unfortunate Incident

Help Please
You need to do something very fast . It will continue to come may be once in a week until you catch and destroy it .
Check YouTube you will find simple DIY trap for big and small snakes.
With patient I was able to catch and kill one stupid cat that have killing my birds lately

2 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by noeloge82(m): 10:44am On Apr 19, 2020
jidestroud:
The Unfortunate Incident

Help Please
Sorry about this but I will advice u to just boil eggs and keep at strategic locations no need to dril it cos it might be a turn off for whatever attacked, seen tired rope will easily give it up as a trap but just boil and keep , if a snake swallows just search around u will see it very uncomfortable and then u can do d needful

5 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Ade3131: 6:55pm On May 03, 2020
Wonderful thread you have here.... I raised boilers and layers chicks from day old some time last year January with the intention of selling the boilers by Easter that year. It was all gloomy until I got to the market and realized that buyers preference was centered around affordability. They instead prefer to buy old layers for N1,500 instead of buying almost 4 months old boilers for N3,000. I learnt the very hard lesson to always consider affordability first before venturing into any business. I got some Noilers birds too and o must confess they were allot easier to rare compared to boilers. And I also must state that my female Noiler is a champion in laying eggs compared to the layers. She lays twice a day back then and despite being a free ranger. Although I always have layers marsh ready for her but she trouts the compound to scavenge for other food too. I made losses from the venture bcuz I was forced to sell the birds off for way lesser than my investment.

1 Like

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Ade3131: 7:00pm On May 03, 2020
jidestroud:

Hope you've been able to get rid of those predators... I will advise you always reserve some boiled eggs for the snakes at all times. Keep the boiled eggs in an easily accessible place for the snakes and don't attach any hook to it. Hopefully they will stop coming.

3 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by jidestroud(m): 7:19pm On May 03, 2020
Ade3131:

Hope you've been able to get rid of those predators... I will advise you always reserve some boiled eggs for the snakes at all times. Keep the boiled eggs in an easily accessible place for the snakes and don't attach any hook to it. Hopefully they will stop coming.

Not exactly. I haven't had any visition since the last time and boil eggs I place at strategic places are still there and complete.

Ade3131:
And I also must state that my female Noiler is a champion in laying eggs compared to the layers. She lays twice a day back then and despite being a free ranger.
2 eggs per day? Wow that's a very rare one if I must say. The only abnormality I experienced with mine was almost all the were double yolked. This was a major challenge for, as many of them got bad in the incubator.

1 Like

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Walexz02(m): 8:16pm On May 03, 2020
jidestroud:

Not exactly. I haven't had any visition since the last time and boil eggs I place at strategic places are still there and complete.

2 eggs per day? Wow that's a very rare one if I must say. The only abnormality I experienced with mine was almost all the were double yolked. This was a major challenge for, as many of them got bad in the incubator.
So doubled York egg can not be hatch

Don't relent with steering traps for that predator, it may strike again at anytime since it escaped the first time
Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by jidestroud(m): 8:42pm On May 03, 2020
Walexz02:

So doubled York egg can not be hatch

Don't relent with steering traps for that predator, it may strike again at anytime since it escaped the first time

I haven't had any luck hatching any. The closest success I have had is the two chicks already formed but both dead in the egg when cracked opened. So, whenever I see the jumbo sized eggs, I simply eat them.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Ade3131: 10:15pm On May 03, 2020
jidestroud:

I wanna learn vegetable farming from you Sir and I hope you won't mind teaching me. With the cloud surrounding paid employment amidst this pandemic, I'm already bracing myself up for the worst and I wanna learn Veg farming. From your post, I see you're around Agbara and my family home is at MTN after Pipeline (Badagry side), although I stay around Mushin due to proximity to my office. But I wouldn't mind coming around for practical knowledge on Veg.
Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Redman44(m): 12:09am On May 05, 2020
Ade3131:
Wonderful thread you have here.... I raised boilers and layers chicks from day old some time last year January with the intention of selling the boilers by Easter that year. It was all gloomy until I got to the market and realized that buyers preference was centered around affordability. They instead prefer to buy old layers for N1,500 instead of buying almost 4 months old boilers for N3,000. I learnt the very hard lesson to always consider affordability first before venturing into any business. I got some Noilers birds too and o must confess they were allot easier to rare compared to boilers. And I also must state that my female Noiler is a champion in laying eggs compared to the layers. She lays twice a day back then and despite being a free ranger. Although I always have layers marsh ready for her but she trouts the compound to scavenge for other food too. I made losses from the venture bcuz I was forced to sell the birds off for way lesser than my investment.

@Ade3131, Hmn. The truth is old layers are no longer very nutritious when they stop laying eggs. They are like spent bullets. However, those that buy them for their meat do so because of the cheap price old layers are sold for. The meat of old layers chicken is not that nutritious again. I think you should go into Cockerels- raising of Cockerels and selling them all year round. The meat of Cockerels is very nutritious and you can get good prices for them. Cheers.

1 Like

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Yampotatocarrot(m): 8:13pm On May 12, 2020
Redman44:

@Ade3131, Hmn. The truth is old layers are no longer very nutritious and you can get good prices for them. Cheers.

Please, At how many weeks will one get to sell the cockerel? What are the likely prices one can sell at that age?
Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by jidestroud(m): 8:11am On May 16, 2020
Great News Guys

I did it at last. The predator has been killed around 3am this morning. Summoned all courage to go out after I heard noise coming from the cages. Unfortunately, there was no way for it to get inside and I simply pointed the torch directly into its eyes and gbaaaam!!! That was it.

After all I have been through and the losses incurred, I will be eating snake to compensate for the emotional trauma it has caused me, my birds, and my two cats (Jumia & Rubbie, of blessed memories).

73 Likes 5 Shares

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Victornezzar: 8:21am On May 16, 2020
Lalasticlala dinner don set oooo

Mhen this looks big
Thank God you finally got rid of it
jidestroud:
Great News Guys

I did it at last. The predator has been killed around 3am this morning. Summoned all courage to go out after I heard noise coming from the cages. Unfortunately, there was no way for it to get inside and I simply pointed the torch directly into its eyes and gbaaaam!!! That was it.

After all I have been through and the losses incurred, I will be eating snake to compensate for the emotional trauma it has caused me, my birds, and my two cats (Jumia & Rubbie, of blessed memories).

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by excanny: 10:57am On May 16, 2020
jidestroud:
Great News Guys

I told u it was a python from what you described about the attack. Only a python does that.

But don't lose guard. There could still be others lurking around.

Can I see the pics of your snake-proof cage?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by apexc7098: 11:35am On May 16, 2020
[color=#] 3335515[/color]
Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by money121(m): 11:36am On May 16, 2020
2yrs ago and thread hit front page Today Never giveup on ur hustling
Am sure one day my roofing thread will hit front page on nairaland

19 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by phr0nesis(m): 11:38am On May 16, 2020
Something of 2018 and you just brought it to frontpage now because snake eventually became part of it. Lala Weldon o

36 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Ayoslimzy(m): 11:45am On May 16, 2020
phr0nesis:
Something of 2018 and you just brought it to frontpage now because snake eventually became part of it. Lala Weldon o
lol na the snake blow the thread

27 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by psychologist(m): 11:48am On May 16, 2020
grin

What is really germinating on nl

A thread of 2018 just heard snake in 2020 and boom it's on the promise land

20 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by sammchuck1: 11:48am On May 16, 2020
how did this enter FP undecided

2 Likes

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by Trueigbo: 11:54am On May 16, 2020
sammchuck1:
how did this enter FP undecided

Cos of the snake he killed....

Thread was opened since 2018

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by irichy100(m): 11:54am On May 16, 2020
babyboy4every1:
Using 2 200watts bulb in dat box is too much. At least one should be ok.

Maybe for up and down.
Re: My Kuroiler Birds From Day Old by VickyRotex(f): 11:54am On May 16, 2020
jidestroud:
Great News Guys

Victornezzar:
Lalasticlala dinner don set oooo

Mhen this looks big
Thank God you finally got rid of it

This is what made this thread to hit FP after 2 years. shocked shocked

Lala too like snake cheesy cheesy

Btw op, I commend your consistency.

Sorry for your loss.

8 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

A-z Of Catfish Smoking Business and types of fish smoking kiln / See The Grasscutter I Caught This Morning As I Went To Inspect My Traps / Preserve Fresh Tomato Paste For A Year (no Refrigeration Or Preservatives)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.