Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,844 members, 7,806,385 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:37 PM

What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? - Religion (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? (8909 Views)

Ever Heard Of Atheistic Evolution? / Atheistic Nuisance, Barcelona And Chelsea / Atheistic Reply To Emusmithy Thread (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Hermes019: 9:08am On Jan 04, 2019
gensteejay:

This sort of discussion about God does not usually lead to any tangible conclusion. Even though I'm more of a knowledge seeker and rational thinker than a believer, I would still hold on to my belief that this universe, including our world, was designed by a Maker, but not the gods of religions who themselves are parts of this Maker.

I have not seen any logical reason to believe otherwise.
You haven't answered these questions,I wish to get a reply
Define God ?
What are God's features
How did you ascertain them ?
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 9:20am On Jan 04, 2019
Hermes019:

You haven't answered these questions,I wish to get a reply
Define God ?
What are God's features
How did you ascertain them ?
I would do that in my spare time. Answering your question may lead to another lengthy argument, which I won't be able to spare any time for at the moment. Will post my comment later.
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 9:30am On Jan 04, 2019
budaatum:

Believe me, the book referenced is a much better masterpiece and is very much worth the read. And the fact that gensteejay mentioned Hermeticism commands respect, though I very much doubt he read Mead's detailed study on the topic, considering his understanding of it.

When Christ said "Know ye not that ye are gods?" I would claim this book is close to giving an answer that is closer than many if properly understood. Unfortunately, its more likely to just be believed, as opposed to wringing out the lessons in it and what it implies.
I know the Book. I read it a few years ago, when I contemplated studying hermetica. I still have it here.

I must confess, I found it too hermetic ( grin) for me at the time. I will give it another try, perhaps I have evolved enough to make sense out of it.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Hermes019: 12:00pm On Jan 04, 2019
gensteejay:

I would do that in my spare time. Answering your question may lead to another lengthy argument, which I won't be able to spare any time for at the moment. Will post my comment later.
Okay,I'll be waiting
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jan 04, 2019
Hermes019:

Okay,I'll be waiting
Actually,he can't answer your questions because he doesn't really have the answers.
You can't really answer any question using words like First Cause/Intelligent Designer/God/The All/Deity.
'Love,God,Good,Bad' are just words.
And 'WORDS' are 'declarifications'.
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2019
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2019
HellVictorinho:

Actually,he can't answer your questions because he doesn't really have the answers.
You can't really answer any question using words like First Cause/Intelligent Designer/God/The All/Deity.

'Love,God,Good,Bad' are just words.
And 'WORDS' are 'declarifications'.
But you said all this is meaningless now. Why bother about meaningless things
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 3:23am On Jan 05, 2019
gensteejay:

But you said all this is meaningless now. Why bother about meaningless things
I said you shouldn't have taken that statement literally!!!!!!
'"Everything"' in that statement actually referred to the 'Totality of Possibilities' which doesn't imply LOGIC.
There are possibilities that are 'declarifications' while some are in conflict with one another as regards their functional consequences.
But this doesn't really mean there is a finite number of possibilities.
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jan 05, 2019
HellVictorinho:

I said you shouldn't have taken that statement literally!!!!!!
'"Everything"' in that statement actually referred to the 'Totality of Possibilities' which doesn't imply LOGIC.
There are possibilities that are 'declarifications' while some are in conflict with one another as regards their functional consequences.
But this doesn't really mean there is a finite number of possibilities.
I still fail to see the significance, whether philosophically or logically, of all these things you say here. How does the totality of possibilities flies in the face of logic?

People find the sum total of everything: material things, variables, celestial objects, etc. The Greek letter, sigma (capital letter), is typically used in the sciences for this.

So, what are you actually saying here?
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jan 05, 2019
gensteejay:

I still fail to see the significance, whether philosophically or logically, of all these things you say here. How does the totality of possibilities flies in the face of logic?

People find the sum total of everything: material things, variables, celestial objects, etc. The Greek letter, sigma (capital letter), is typically used in the sciences for this.

So, what are you actually saying here?
Mathematics can't determine certain things.
I hope you know that.
And the 'Totality' here represents the actuality of their co-existence.
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nwaikuku2(m): 3:21pm On Jan 12, 2019
[quoe author=Martinez19 post=74329260] Nobody knows who or what created everything that exists. [/quote] But the bible gave a concrete prove on how God created everything on earth with the power of words
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Hermes019: 3:41pm On Jan 12, 2019
Nwaikuku2:
[quoe author=Martinez19 post=74329260] Nobody knows who or what created everything that exists. But the bible gave a concrete prove on how God created everything on earth with the power of words
Everything u say ?,very well,on what day did Yahweh create bacteria ?

1 Like

Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by johnydon22(m): 8:04pm On Jan 12, 2019
Nwaikuku2:
But the bible gave a concrete prove on how God created everything on earth with the power of words
This is just nonsense
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by Nobody: 8:07pm On Jan 12, 2019
johnydon22:
This is just nonsense
It's comedy.
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by HEFAIROHLUWA(m): 8:07pm On Feb 03, 2019
Seun:
I guess the main problem with the atheist position is its unpopularity.

We can fix that by engaging religious people in constructive conversations more often. Helping them to see that not only is there no good reason to believe that any God or gods exist, but that we can have better morals, success, happiness, health, family lives, etc in our societies without believing in any God or gods.
Regarding the bolded...I engaged in this debate on fb months ago so I think that will be impossible.. Wont it? Because I think some people are just evil so they need to be controlled unfortunately with fear..Fear of the unknown, Fear of the future, Fear does the job, Fear of eternity.
Re: What Are The Problems Of An Atheistic Position? by theoriginalgood: 4:24pm On Feb 05, 2019
What an Atheist needs is hardcore evidence right? Some undeniable truth that will drop jaws:

https://www.nairaland.com/4998253/death-proof-higher-power-god

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Happy Mothering Sunday To All Catholic Mother / Fastest Way To Receive The Gift Of Sound Prophecy, Dreaming, Vision, Healing Etc / Recent Pentecostal Scandals

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.