Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,486 members, 7,808,771 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 04:39 PM

What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? (21031 Views)

RCCG Cancels Cross-Over Service Nationwide / List Of States That Banned Cross-Over Service / Cross-over Service At Glory Dome, World’s Largest Church Auditorium, Abuja (PIX) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 11:32am On Dec 30, 2018
IMASTEX:
Just doctrine. Nothing Christlike about it
I can't remember the whole story but the practice of going to church on New year's eve was initiated by black slaves in America.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by hundredrivas(m): 11:39am On Dec 30, 2018
Happy sunday every body may we all live to cross over to 2019 with swag, joy, and happiness.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by orunto27: 11:54am On Dec 30, 2018
Cross/Servica = Cross/Crisis = Jesus Christ D. Righteous
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by PussyRiot(m): 12:00pm On Dec 30, 2018
It's a service conducted to usher in a new year I. e porting from 2018 to 2019 with praise, worship, prayers e. t. c for a better new year.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by PussyRiot(m): 12:09pm On Dec 30, 2018
Uploadme:
Na now you they reason the foolishness wey una dey do? grin grin grin
From this your questions one can easily deduct that you know the truth but seems to be afraid to confront it because of the years of indoctrination and mental programming you've gone through in church, its quite a pity though but with in dept reasoning and meditation you can gradually reprogram your brain to think right.
There's nothing like crossover, walkover, move over, flyover or whatever night, the calendar is use to calculate and determine days of the year and nothing more. Today is the same as tomorrow and next tomorrow there is nothing special about December 31 night, its just another night of the year.
nice comment...hope you don't celebrate your birthday?

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by doggedfighter(f): 12:20pm On Dec 30, 2018
HarkymTheOracle:
Yes..and you see people making new year resolutions like just one night will change them..

As for me, I live life one day at a time,and not one year at a time like most people.
Hakeem,you nailed it, one day at a time and not one year at a time. Food for thought.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by kollinskollins(m): 12:24pm On Dec 30, 2018
Whatever You Believe Works For You. Wether You Go To Church Or Not, Your Strategies Define Your New Year.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by doggedfighter(f): 12:26pm On Dec 30, 2018
Rozaytee:
ode d major reason for crossover...i all about being grateful and alive to see another year.... Mumu okponu

Self deceit, see you full of curses. Cross over ko flyover ni

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Maxi3k(m): 12:29pm On Dec 30, 2018
January 1st is like every other day
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Chukazu: 12:32pm On Dec 30, 2018
Me na to relax for house sure pass!
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Funkybabee(f): 12:35pm On Dec 30, 2018
ladies here should see those comments abt crossover night.. it ain't advisable to choose on nairaland atall cuz mostly are not well deep in the word!! A night to speak to ur destiny in begins of another 365 days journey... I pray God open their heart and eyes to see the truth
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Angelfrost(m): 12:36pm On Dec 30, 2018
Significance? Absolutely NONE!!!... Just stemmed in superstition, and further deepened by the church.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Geesaintagape: 12:37pm On Dec 30, 2018
Nothing special but to me it's just a means of getting the youth away from the miscreant of so called watchnight.
I can't remember when I attended such a get- together called cross over night .
So if you are reading my post n u wish to go, just attend but don't attach any spiritual meaning to the fellowship
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Nobody: 12:41pm On Dec 30, 2018
In geography the earth takes 365¼ days to complete one revolution round the sun... meaning that new year doesn't actually come until 6am on January 1st. So technically 12am - 6am still belongs to 2018.
What the useless crossover nights do is usher you into another into another perfectly normal day in 2018 ..nothing more and zero significance

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by BluntBoy(m): 12:54pm On Dec 30, 2018
Funkybabee:
ladies here should see those comments abt crossover night.. it ain't advisable to choose on nairaland atall cuz mostly are not well deep in the word!! A night to speak to ur destiny in begins of another 365 days journey... I pray God open their heart and eyes to see the truth

What truth?

Crossing over from December 31 to January 1 is no different from crossing over from today to tomorrow.

Life is simply continuing. You people make it seem like life always stops every 31st and becomes new on the 1st of January.

For one thing, every day should be a moment to reflect. Because with the pass of every day, you move nearer to your grave.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by vivaAfrica: 1:01pm On Dec 30, 2018
Nairalanders speak for yourself dont condemn another person's lifestyle simply because you dont understand it or you think it doesn't favour you. For me I want to end the year with my mouth full of thanks giving and start a new one in the presence of God & tell Him to take control of the new year in my favour.

Peace and one love
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by doggedfighter(f): 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2018
oladele239:
If you live in a face me I slap you and your neighbors go for crossover nd you no go.....

Your own don pass devil o grin grin grin

If u know u know
The kind eye wey dem go dey take look you ee
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by HARDDON: 1:14pm On Dec 30, 2018
Some posts could just be as senseless as the Q in queue.
Usually, I hate attacking thoughts but to bear with thoughts with clear wrong motives is not one of my many blessings.

Where would you rather people break into the new year from? Some shrine?
God kept one through some 365 days. Protected, provided, guided and was there for one through the year. You would rather we thank and acknowledge him not?

Shm at the magnanimous thrash of a question

While at it, know that your breath is but a puff of smoke in the air.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by oladele239(m): 1:23pm On Dec 30, 2018
doggedfighter:

The kind eye wey dem go dey take look you ee

Some go tell their children make dem no greet u again grin grin grin
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by TemmyT002(m): 1:31pm On Dec 30, 2018
It is the time to pray for good things in the new year. It is also the time to make resolutions and be in brotherhood.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by ofiko123(m): 1:32pm On Dec 30, 2018
I came to read comments..

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by BluntBoy(m): 1:36pm On Dec 30, 2018
HARDDON:
Some posts could just be as senseless as the Q in queue.
Usually, I hate attacking thoughts but to bear with thoughts with clear wrong motives is not one of my many blessings.

Where would you rather people break into the new year from? Some shrine?
God kept one through some 365 days. Protected, provided, guided and was there for one through the year. You would rather we thank and acknowledge him not?

Shm at the magnanimous thrash of a question

While at it, know that your breath is but a puff of smoke in the air.

Your post is rather senseless too, at least to those who will celebrate their watch night in a shrine.

The idea of doing cross over services only on December 31st is not only hypocritical but also insignificant.

You should praise God every hour, even seconds.

In short, we should have watch night services every night, since we cross over every day.

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Olufemiolaolu(m): 1:38pm On Dec 30, 2018
Oluromantic:
Me and my bae go jolly jolly for bedroom that night. Na love-making we go take crossover.
Using the last day to give thanks to ur maker is too much right? I just pray u won't make love to the younder Mr love making crossover.You have no problem man.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by gly(m): 2:15pm On Dec 30, 2018
Earthbound:

I can't remember the whole story but the practice of going to church on New year's eve was initiated by black slaves in America.

BROS please can you give us the source?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by femi4: 2:19pm On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:
There's no significance. I actually believe it is more of a party. They feel it is better to go to a church to start a new year than a club. Cross-over is so unnecessary.
Must you always sound stupid? Do they go there to drink and eat?
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by femi4: 2:22pm On Dec 30, 2018
IMASTEX:
Just doctrine. Nothing Christlike about it
Its a service just like any other services. Not a doctrine, I guess you don't know the definition of doctrine
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by femi4: 2:27pm On Dec 30, 2018
internationalman:
they are all bunch of lazy people declaring what ordinarily they cannot work for to get.

Like someone said, nothing changes in the new year. It's just a calendar flipping over to the next page.
Poverty mentality, there are other form of prayers e.g Thanksgiving

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by sexiestharam(f): 2:28pm On Dec 30, 2018
femi4:
Must you always sound stupid? Do they go there to drink and eat?
Be sincere with yourself. Between my comment and yours, which one sounds really stupid. Take your silly self out of my comments and find another person to fight. I don't trade words with people online. Particularly those who want to give others names that they already bear.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by femi4: 2:32pm On Dec 30, 2018
sexiestharam:

Be sincere with yourself. Between my comment and yours, which one sounds really stupid. Take your silly self out of my comments and find another person to fight. I don't trade words with people online. Particularly those who want to give others names that they already bear.
illiterate
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Timfreds(m): 2:51pm On Dec 30, 2018
OP thank you for this, I've just been thinking about it. It's just one of our religious machinations.
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by Janosky: 3:26pm On Dec 30, 2018
Gullah:
It's that time of the year again, that time of the year when almost everyone begins to reflect on their actions and achievements or failures in the year that is about to end. Many people are already compiling their new year resolutions and plans already no doubt. It's also the time for one of the most interesting and unusual church service that has become an annual end of year ritual among churches all over the world; THE CROSSOVER SERVICE.

The crossover service is perhaps the most attended church service across the country. On the 31st of December every year, millions of people gather in churches so that they can cross over into the new year in the presence of God, They wait expectantly for the clock to strike 12 midnight, for the Man or Woman of God to declare the word of God for the new year and they scream and jump in excitement when the minister says in a solemn voice, "Thus says the Lord, the year 2019 shall be the year of.......". Then the prayers begin, members of the congregation tap into the declaration and present their own personal plans for the new year before God, The minister then proclaims God's blessings for the new year on the people. A usually very elaborate and euphoric service for Christians like me I must say but it's usually just few hours after the service that the questions start ringing in my head,

What exactly is the significance of this service? Are there really special blessings for those who attend that those who don't attend won't receive? How about the curious observation that many people who didn't even bother about God or attend a church service throughout the year suddenly pop into the church on that night to claim God's promises and blessings for the new year? Does God's presence really go into the new year with people as they attend and leave those services? How about the Olive oils, bottled water, handkerchiefs or aprons, stickers with the word for the year printed on them and other " holy items" attendees usually come home with? Are they really effective in helping those who possess them in any way in the new year?

I have my thoughts about all that but since I am not hundred percent sure I am right about it, I'd rather prefer to put it out here and know your opinions on this topic. Does this service have any special or unique importance for Christians?

Una eyes done dey open.
It's one of the lucrative brands of. pastorpreneurs. them no dey joke with this feeding bottle. Nothing scriptural about it
Re: What Is The Significance Of Cross-over Service For Christians? by ChiefAzubuike(f): 3:52pm On Dec 30, 2018
Na our foolish religious mindset cause am. We believe starting a new year anywhere else outside the church might bring bad luck throughout the year.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Are You Finding It Hard Forgive? Read This. / Sallah Ram: Man Hangs Self Over Lack Of Money To Buy Ram / Fire Breaks Out At Notre-dame Cathedral In Paris (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.