Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,333 members, 7,808,176 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:09 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182059 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 6:57pm On Apr 15, 2019
Please has anyone here successfully bought something on ebay?

Please how does it work?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 7:02pm On Apr 15, 2019
iaatmguy:
hello all. my wife is presently a tax consultant in Nigeria with ICAN and ACCA certifications, and also awaiting PPR. concerning the conversion from ACCA to CGA/CPA, we are kind of confused as to what to do, as regards the timing of her conversion from ACCA - CPA
judging from her limited scope of accounting as a tax consultant in Nigeria ( 7 years), which would most likely be inconsequential in Canada. she is looking at deferring her conversion till she gets to Canada (Alberta to be precise), so as to not get the "you are overqualified for this role" response from recruiters, because her experience might not count (may i also chip in that she doesn't plan to be a tax consultant and the likes). we are thinking of shelving the conversion idea till she gets a foot in the door, then apply for the conversion while she works.
However she is open to any other category of her NOC (financial auditors and accountants). though she plans to do a soft landing after COPR.
i don't know if the deferment is a good idea or not
czaratwork, blackbuddy, rainazoe, accountants, and those in the financial sector please help look into this. THANKS
guys please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DadR: 7:04pm On Apr 15, 2019
Ok, thanks.

czaratwork:

Yes and at the location. It's a job fair.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by softandmoist(f): 7:15pm On Apr 15, 2019
tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 7:46pm On Apr 15, 2019
Guitarlife:

I have gotten to learn so much on this thread and Nairaland in General. I just got a job after 2 months of Landing and I have so much to tell people. That would be my own way of giving back to the society, but I plan to deactivate this account, am lost between giving the landing gist with this account that is soon going to be defunct or using the brand new account I am just going to unveil.

To start with, nobody will give you a job on a platter, the offer I got I had 5 interviews for the position. The best way to start in my own opinion is to have an open mind and apply for survival jobs as well as professional job at the same time.

Do not allow your survival job prevent you from attending interview and dont be afraid to take risks . I forwent a decent job offer for the prospect of a better job that I did not have because even the person that interviewed me told me he knew I would get a better offer but if I decide to stay with them I would have to stick with them for a long time.

I rejected the job despite the fact that I did not have any job at that time, but today it was a smart decision. It didn't look so great at the time though.

Lesson 1 : Surround yourself with positive people and those who believe in you.
cool cool cool cool

Congrats Guitarlife.

Je m'appelle Ramj
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by guitarlife2: 8:18pm On Apr 15, 2019
Guitarlife:

I have gotten to learn so much on this thread and Nairaland in General. I just got a job after 2 months of Landing and I have so much to tell people. That would be my own way of giving back to the society, but I plan to deactivate this account, am lost between giving the landing gist with this account that is soon going to be defunct or using the brand new account I am just going to unveil.

To start with, nobody will give you a job on a platter, the offer I got I had 5 interviews for the position. The best way to start in my own opinion is to have an open mind and apply for survival jobs as well as professional job at the same time.

Do not allow your survival job prevent you from attending interview and dont be afraid to take risks . I forwent a decent job offer for the prospect of a better job that I did not have because even the person that interviewed me told me he knew I would get a better offer but if I decide to stay with them I would have to stick with them for a long time.

I rejected the job despite the fact that I did not have any job at that time, but today it was a smart decision. It didn't look so great at the time though.

Lesson 1 : Surround yourself with positive people and those who believe in you.
cool cool cool cool

Alot has been said already about carrying oil, bribing customs, beautiful landscapes, I do think the real reason most leave the comfort of their own Country is to get a decent job in Canada.
And to me this is the prayer of many including myself so I am not gonna bore you with what airlines I took or what we ate on the plane, that has been overflogged already.

I am gonna focus mostly on what I think is the best approach to getting a job as soon as possible based on my own experience. I do think IT practitioners would benefit most from this post but I believe there would be some take home for everyone regardless of which is your profession.

I was just about a year and some months into IT before I left Naija, Although I had written CCNA more than 10 years ago which eventually proved extremely pivotal in getting this wonderful role with a great company. To put things in proper perspective, my experience was very superficial and extremely disjointed. I could not claim to be a database admin, or network expert, or security professional or infrastructure guru.
So I claimed to be a service desk/helpdesk/desktop professional.

Point 1 : If you have atleast 1 year experience in IT your best route is to look towards the Servicedesk/Technical support /Enduser support role to get a lee way into the world of IT in Canada, If you have considerable experience in IT I'd advise you do a certification in that area to give you some credibility in the eye of the employers.

So how does this affect all the other professions or what can other professions too take away from this. I have a friend a physiotherapist in Naija but her profession will require some exams before she could practice. What happens is that even if she eventually passess the exam she would still be overqualified for most entry level roles and Canadians don't usually throw people without Canadian experience into managerial positions except in very rare cases. Rather than just wait for months to get into a particular role, you could plan to get into a role that is related into your targeted role even if the pay is not much. The idea is to hang around the corridor of the career you wanna do long term.

For health professionals, I'd advise you do a First aid / Aed course first week of landing and start looking out for Personal Support Worker jobs or something related to that. For people in Engineering, you could do a 3 month plc programming course in Naija and edit your resume as a technician instead of an Engineer to give you an edge. This brings me to my next point..

Point 2 : Most jobs in Canada do not require an MSC so please loose the MSC and put ur BSC

This point has already generated enough debate, but I stand on my premise. You will miss out on many job opportunities by putting MSC on your resume. I have experienced it. This is because Canadians do not accumulate degrees. Majority are content with a college degree and diploma.
HOw do you want an organisation to hire you if you have an MSC when your prospective supervisor only has a college diploma. It will be better if you put certifications on your resume.
More than 90% of jobs advertised in Canada require no more than a BSC, that should tell you how superfluous a MSC will be.
This is pretty straight forward, you put a MSC on your resume you already overqualified yourself. Except for roles like Senior Business Analysts and Data Scientists .
But if you are targeting entry level roles/intermediate level roles, please a BSC is just enough. They will not tell you they are not hiring you because of your MSC, except the job is requesting for a MSC please leave it at BSC.

Point 3: Your resume is the key to your happiness

Point 4 : Whatever you plan to do long term and regardless of how much money you carried try get into any kind of job at most 3 months but make sure your survival job will give you chance for interviews and job fairs.

Point 5 : Job fairs are critical

Point 6 : Connect with a NIgerian in your intended profession and if only to have them share their Resume with you

I was in Calgary for about 3 weeks and I did not get any interviews, I was lucky to reach out to a Nairalander who shared his resume with me. I modified my resume after his own resume and interviews started flying in.

Point 7 : Understand that your technical skills are less than 50% of the reasons you will be hired. Employers here want to see how conversational, relatable and confident you are . So look them in the eye, present a firm handshake and smile always. When you are answering any questions, be confident about it, even if you are saying rubbish smile with confidence and dont be shy to let the interviewer know you do not have answer to a question . They will appreciate your candour.

Point 8 : If you have multiple resumes which is pretty likely in the early days of hunting for jobs, please delete all information from your LINKEDIN account.

I remember applying for some business analysis positions with a very strong resume and I wondered why I did not get any feedback. Shortly after that I checked my linkedin account and realised most of those I applied to had checked my linkedin profile . Unfortunately my linkedin profile was designed at the time to highlight my Application Support experience and not business analysis.
Please do not make this mistake. If you are applying to different jobs with very different resumes, please delete information from your linkedin profile because the recruiters will look you up on linkedin.

Point 9 : If you are in Calgary and have banking experience please consider the BOW Valley college CRTP programme. I have heard good testimonies about that programme.

to be continued............

54 Likes 41 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayoakins(m): 9:34pm On Apr 15, 2019
hayor2014:

not sure about this... Just send CPA a mail, they would respond

Thank you for the feedback, I greatly appreciate.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:42pm On Apr 15, 2019
guitarlife2:

I am gonna focus mostly on what I think is the best approach to getting a job as soon as possible based on my own experience. I do think IT practitioners would benefit most from this post but I believe there would be some take home for everyone regardless of which is your profession.

Hi guitarlife2,

i'm also in Calgary. i don't know how your schedule is, but if you don't mind, would love to meet up.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 10:58pm On Apr 15, 2019
From downtown Winnipeg after I missed my bus twice

White out party coming soon! Go jets!

32 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbhs139(m): 3:51am On Apr 16, 2019
Good morning everyone. Please I need to find out something.

What's the difference between salary paid job and hourly paid job and which one is better?

Thank you all in advance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Christian22aa(m): 6:28am On Apr 16, 2019
Good morning everybody
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:57am On Apr 16, 2019
dustydee:

Oga you made a general statement. While I cannot speak on the University you went to, I can speak for the one I went to. Nobody here will claim we have a good educational system but having schooled in Nigeria and outside, I can confirm that my University education in Nigeria was not USELESS. Some other people have also backed up my submission so do not generalise. Yes it leaves a lot to be desired but Useless? NO.
It's good you have changed tune to include "mostly useless", you aregradually coming around.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by titiclassy: 8:15am On Apr 16, 2019
Iyamefa:

Are you already in Canada and settled? If yes,it’s not compulsory to notarize the letter of invitation. It’s not stated anywhere on the application that this letter should be notarized. I applied for my parents including this letter which I simply typed and attached and their applications have since been approved.

@Iyamefa, thanks for all the tips and advice you give here. God bless you.
I just got to Canada 2 months ago and I want to invite my MIL to stay with my 10 months old baby for 6 months after which he will start day care. I will be resuming work soon.
How much details do I put in my invitation letter as per reason for coming and duration of stay?
How much money do I show in my Canada account?
How do I justify MIL family ties back in Nigeria as she doesn't work or trade?
We are a family of 4.. Myself, hubby and 2 kids
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 8:37am On Apr 16, 2019
Christian22aa:
Pictures pls my canada dream loading by gods grace ..please post pictures .do love toronto

Welcome you got PPR already yeah?

Je m'appelle Ramj
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 10:02am On Apr 16, 2019
iaatmguy:
guys please

What experience does she intend to use to get a job? Which designation does she intend to flaunt in the job market.

The market does not recognize ACCA and also your last 5 years experience determines where you will get job.

Tax is a hot market here regardless of your country. They believe it is just a little brushing up that you will need. I have seen Nigerians get tax related jobs with their Nigerian experience.. Some firms are purely into tax only and recruit people with tax experience. The big 4s too have tax openings too.

My suggestion is that she gets into the market with her experience and then move to her desired role. That is not to say it will not work out the way she wants it. Nothing is cast on stone here. What you really need is networking. If you meet the right person, you can get a role that will blow your mind.

Delaying her ACCA conversion can also affect her integration because the time wasted in conversion after you have landed can make you rusty for your role. She should come all armed for any job that may come her way.

My 2 cents.

7 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mepconsultant: 10:45am On Apr 16, 2019
Worth sharing.

1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by u3fine(m): 10:52am On Apr 16, 2019
is this for real?
mepconsultant:
Worth sharing.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 11:14am On Apr 16, 2019
titiclassy:

@Iyamefa, thanks for all the tips and advice you give here. God bless you.
I just got to Canada 2 months ago and I want to invite my MIL to stay with my 10 months old baby for 6 months after which he will start day care. I will be resuming work soon.
How much details do I put in my invitation letter as per reason for coming and duration of stay?
How much money do I show in my Canada account?
How do I justify MIL family ties back in Nigeria as she doesn't work or trade?
We are a family of 4.. Myself, hubby and 2 kids
Whatever you do, avoid putting anything related to the bold part in your application because you are indirectly saying you are bringing your MIL to come and work.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 12:16pm On Apr 16, 2019
czaratwork:

What experience does she intend to use to get a job? Which designation does she intend to flaunt in the job market.

The market does not recognize ACCA and also your last 5 years experience determines where you will get job.

Tax is a hot market here regardless of your country. They believe it is just a little brushing up that you will need. I have seen Nigerians get tax related jobs with their Nigerian experience.. Some firms are purely into tax only and recruit people with tax experience. The big 4s too have tax openings too.

My suggestion is that she gets into the market with her experience and then move to her desired role. That is not to say it will not work out the way she wants it. Nothing is cast on stone here. What you really need is networking. If you meet the right person, you can get a role that will blow your mind.

Delaying her ACCA conversion can also affect her integration because the time wasted in conversion after you have landed can make you rusty for your role. She should come all armed for any job that may come her way.

My 2 cents.
thank you very much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 12:24pm On Apr 16, 2019
mbhs139:
Good morning everyone. Please I need to find out something.

What's the difference between salary paid job and hourly paid job and which one is better?

Thank you all in advance

Salary you get x amount of dollars each pay regardless of how many hours you work. Hourly you get x amount of dollars each hour, and after a certain amount of hours, then overtime pay. If working on salary they'll work you to death. Hourly is much better.

23 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2019
Ramj:

Congrats Guitarlife.

Je m'appelle Ramj

Brotherly, thanks much. Everything we dreamed and prayed for is now a reality.
Glory be to God.

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by BusinessHub1: 1:05pm On Apr 16, 2019
rosepetraa:

Please enough of this rubbish! What exactly is your problem? Everyone else has agreed to drop this argument only for you to come out of nowhere and resurrect it again. Please learn to respect yourself.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 1:09pm On Apr 16, 2019
czaratwork:
Please has anyone here successfully bought something on ebay?

Please how does it work?
contact balogunsam. i believe he is into stuffs like this
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by guitarlife2: 2:12pm On Apr 16, 2019
flyboi1:

Hi guitarlife2,

i'm also in Calgary. i don't know how your schedule is, but if you don't mind, would love to meet up.
Brotherly please mail me your phone number on ayonaira2@zoho.com.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by delenet: 2:54pm On Apr 16, 2019
It's actually NOT really worth sharing; it's Fake News.

mepconsultant:
Worth sharing.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Vincad: 3:05pm On Apr 16, 2019
delenet:

Immediately I saw it I knew it was too good to be true. I mean, "Canada has granted residency to all Nigerians who were living illegally in Canada", please.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mepconsultant: 3:21pm On Apr 16, 2019
delenet:

Oh! Really? I checked d Internet myself and saw the news on different pages before sharing.

Apologies if that was a mis-information.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mepconsultant: 3:22pm On Apr 16, 2019
u3fine:
is this for real?
I just learnt is nt true. Apologies. Kindly disregard.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 5:13pm On Apr 16, 2019
BusinessHub1:

Please enough of this rubbish! What exactly is your problem? Everyone else has agreed to drop this argument only for you to come out of nowhere and resurrect it again. Please learn to respect yourself.

In a public forum, please learn to present yourself with decorum. I am sure you've had a bad day and i will forgive your outburst as i understand that it is coming from a place of frustration.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 5:14pm On Apr 16, 2019
iaatmguy:
contact balogunsam. i believe he is into stuffs like this

Thanks for the info. Just got someone share in my network here of tax job openings in KPMG Toronto. if only your wife was around she would have benefited from it because the network gives you advantage over others.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: inagbe1, Goshen22

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.