Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,898 members, 7,802,897 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 02:24 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (131) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2178310 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by waynetemi: 2:23pm On May 02, 2019
How interesting!

Have the same profile as you. grin grin Got my COPR and Landing in June too. How do we get in touch?

SekSek:
Hello People,

Just stumbled on this thread. So please redirect me if am on a wrong thread for this.

Just got my COPR and set to leave mid june.

With no relatives nor close friends in canada. I need a settling buddie. Please buzz me if you are also in need of a companion, got your COPR and leaving this period.

My details: Single, Female, in her 30s, Heading to toronto/missisauga/its environs.

Hope to hear from a perfect match soon.

Thank you.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 7:37pm On May 02, 2019
Thanks so much for all your kind compliments and wishes, I truly appreciate them. I choose to selectively reply the mentions to save space.

jjohndoe83:
einsteino,
I pray for you from my heart that God almighty will bless you and cause his face to shine on you and show you mercy in all that you do. Amen.

I have been so enlightened by your posts and its time to brace up for the next few years of my life! I would love to be your friend (they say friendships don't start this way, but who cares?).

@bolded Who said so? some of us on this thread have long reached out to each other and are good friends behind the scenes, so much so that by the time we landed it felt like we already had a small network in Canada already. Yes the much talked about Networking should start here and on your whatsapp groups. Certainly, not every pm would lead to a serious friendship, as there might be a huge difference between how you conceptualized a person from their post and who they eventually turn out to be or you may just not bond, but hey hafa hafa no dey wound pesin and you can always choose to be just an acquaintance if e tire you. That said, I am just a normal guy and I still need friends too, esp if we can grab a beer.

vululadilolo:

But a guy who seems to have a plan and a good understanding of how the society in which he migrated to works, can't stay "broke" forever lol...

Really good job you are doing here!

Good luck in your future endeavors.

Thanks so much, una dey sabi burst pesin head here.

waynetemi:

Hi. I noticed you mentioned you are a Project co-ordinator. I am looking for oportunities in this role.I have 3 years experience as a project coordinator, was pmp certified at some point and would mind some pointers on getting a job. Do you mind helping? i haven't landed yet but need to get ready so i hit the ground running.

Indeed is the right place to start. I can say there are jobs for Project co-ordinator here but the canadian experience thing might be the issue. All the same go on indeed, search for jobs and study the requirements to see what they care for and if you need to upskill. PMP is a nice have here, what's your academic background if you dont mind my asking?

Eddy4400:
@einsteino I replied your message late, pls kindly check your mail. Thanks

oh sorry I would check again for the email.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 8:08pm On May 02, 2019
RAMBLING PART 3:
So now we have touched on how to handle the transition, but what about our goal? how do we land our dream job? Fact is I have no definite answer, as there are no guarantees and there is not a single mold that fits all. Matter of fact, this thread has done justice on this topic: you all know about the option of short courses, full fledged diplomas/degrees(better if it has co-op), internships to gain Canadian experience, getting licensed etc. I am certain if you have spent time to reading up previous post of the many nice people on this thread, you would get the info you need. However, I do have a few small tips to share, maybe it might bring a new perspective. Forgive my typos in advance and bear with me if it is incoherent, I would proof read it later.

I think you increase the acceptability ratio when you target small - medium size firms, they are not as selective nor do they have as much protocols as large firms. You also should scout for firms that have immigrants as their heads/decent percentage of their staff, these firms may better appreciate your foreign education and experience, I noticed this. With small firms you can even try to do a walk-in. For walk-ins, a functional resume rather than a chronological resume would be much more reasonable. With a functional resume, the focus would be on your skill sets and competencies rather than merely listing specifics of your previous job duties. This gives you the opportunity to be applied to any position that they have needs in and your skills aligns with, rather than the position you assume maybe vacant (esp if they didn't publish any opening).

How can you tell the size of a firm or the background of their staff? Well there are two parameters that could serve: number of employees and turn over. If you have a library card(free in most cities for residents), head to the Scotts Canadian Business Directory and Canadian Business Online website. Once you are on the website, select the industry of choice, location and set a filter with the aforementioned parameters: no of employees and turnover. You would now have a much smaller no of firms displayed, for each, you may have information such as their website, phone no and address displayed. You may visit their website or google them to learn more about them. To know the demographics of their employees, proceed to LinkedIn and search for the firm, focus on the profiles of their employees, note of their Alma Mata and work experience. Recent Immigrants would typically have non-Canadian bachelor's degree and their current work position would likely be their only Canadian experience. Once you have made out a list of firms that seem to be quite open to hiring or giving opportunity to immigrants, you could attempt a walk-in or check the company's website for an email you could submit your resume to, you may get lots of "Sorry..." but you never know, you could be lucky if you keep at it.

[b] few tips on Interviews [b] You'd have the interview to worry about if you are lucky to be given the opportunity. A lot of people only prepare to prove they meet the technical requirement, but in Canada, that's only the prerequisite, not the decider. I am not certain if interview tips has been shared here as it has been quite some time I had the opportunity to do some real reading here. Anyways I'd summarize: it is often good to have some background information about the firm, what their vision is. Lots of interviews here for major firms would have a couple STAR interview question, so learn how to answer STAR questions. Learn how to answer questions such as tell me about your weakness, it is better off to discuss about skillset that are not integral to the job or performance. Never ever say things like my weakness is that I am honest, and also never use a trait as your weakness because traits/habbits are harder to work on than skills. Learn about the firm, prepare for the various interview forms, have a couple questions that not only shows you have done your homework on them but brokers a discussion. Above all, mind your body language and composure, it is very important to loosen up, a smile is just as important as being well dressed to the interview. Always wear deodorants, but avoid perfumes if you are unsure of their policy on scents. if you choose to wear a perfume, has to be mild enough to be discovered by a seeking nose rather than it announcing your presence. Reason is that some people here have all sorts of funny allergies, and those who don't may assume you are trying to mask your body odour by wearing excess perfume(I learnt of someone that lost a job over this).

Networking As you all know, networking is crucial to job pursuit. For a recent landed unemployed immigrant, the traditional way of doing this is attending networking events, job fairs and using LinkedIn. The challenge with professional networking is that unless you meet a really nice person, in the absence of a common ground that makes him/her interested in you, you can easily pass off as a hound and a bother. Sure, you could get close enough if you are a sociable person, but you don't come into such a relationship on an equal footing. and not everyone would make out time for a total stranger. I have contacted lots of people via LinkedIn, some made out time to answer my questions while others didn't, after-all everyone is busy in Canada. Even with those who gave me an audience, I noticed I found it a bit difficult to push deep on my questions or get the privilege of them scrutinizing my plans, how much more referring me. Introverted people also may find it quite challenging building networks the traditional way. This isn't to say professional networking should be abandoned, there are many gains to it but it could be an arduous task and you shouldn't limit yourself to the traditional way.

So what other ways could you explore to network? As Mario Puzo said "Friendship is everything, it is bigger than the govt, it is almost the equivalent of family". A great and fun alternative to professional networking is good old friendship and I dare say it could be even much more effective If you make friends the way kids do: without having "ulterior motives". You may unexpectedly find that a couple of your friends may just by chance turn out to be your cornerstone. Friends are usually much more willing helps, many things you wouldn't achieve by attending networking events, you would gain from making friends with just about anybody. Believe it or not, the most significant assist you may get would be during a careless gist or outing. So wherever you are, be it a survival job, place of worship, a store or bar you frequent, try to engage in small talks that could cause a friendship to ensue and try to keep in touch to get it to the right depths. Another way to grow your network is by helping! surprised? Well sometimes in the process of helping someone you could become a fond acquaintance/friend and you never know how the table would turn, that same person could make all the difference to you someday. So rather than work yourself up searching for seemingly already established helpers, start out making friends and helping those you can... Note I have can in bold for a reason, this is because you may meet people who may be so inconsiderate to your own needs/struggles that they would emotionally blackmail you for not having the convenience to assist. Strike a balance, don't sacrifice your sanity trying to be the nicest human ever, but try to help when you can.

One more thing, learn a game or two if you may, or anything that is usually a common ice breaker. I remember wearing a Raptors shirt to work and a colleague that has never said a word to me, instantly struck a convo with me about the Raptors game that was for that night. You need to see how the light left his face when I replied "Oh I only bought the shirt because I loved how it looked, I don't know jack about basketball". I missed a chance there. Small talks like those are how you can create solid networks, and not be socially awkward at your workplace.

Lastly, no run from your people. Yeah Nigerians get scoi scoi for head but na see finish dey partly at play here and magnifies our faults...because we don't know any other people better than our own, so the other people wey we dey see as perfect na mainly because we never know enough about them. I have made friends here with people from different creed, sexual orientation, race etc but I haven't seen any reason to alienate myself from my own people. I find that the depth of friendship I have with Nigerians has been hard to replicate, maybe it is all in my head but I believe there are peculiar benefits to this both in the material and immaterial sense.

You don't want to go through all this and lose your job over a pointless thing. So let's talk how to keep your job or the nuances of Canadian workplace culture that gets people in trouble. It is well known that Canadians are some of the most polite people but people have lost their jobs off the assumption that their smile is always a sign of approval. Canadians are passively aggressive and It might not be so easy to know where you stand with them. They aren't like us who have a culture of saying what we think without mincing words(at least compared to them), here bluntness is considered being rude. So people would often mask the truth or talk in circles. I have seen colleagues report someone over some things they smiled with him about. Point is, be chill with everyone at work but don't be over comfortable and assuming. When you want to ask what someone thinks of your work, you may have to explicitly ask for your pitfalls or phrase your question very directly e.g "what areas do you think I should improve on" else polite Canadian fit just bobo you with sweet feedback and yet have a tonne of negatives to put in his report on your work. People have been sacked while getting lost with the smiles. I know you could say it's back stabbing/hypocrisy, but this one is different, they just by default say a lot of sorry and smile even when they mean something else... you too would soon learn to lol

146 Likes 101 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zutlin: 8:19pm On May 02, 2019
einsteino:
RAMBLING PART 3:
So now we have touched on how to handle the transition, but what about our goal? how do we land our dream job? Fact is I have no definitive answer, as there are no guarantees and there is not a single mold that fits all. Matter of fact, this thread has done justice on this topic: you all know about the option of short courses, full fledged diplomas/degrees(better if it has co-op), internships to gain Canadian experience, getting licensed etc. I am certain if you have spent time to reading up previous post of the many nice people on this thread, you would get the info you need. However, I do have a few small tips to share, maybe it might bring a new perspective. Forgive my typos in advance and bear with me if it is incoherent, I would proof read it later...

Thanks Einstein. I find your posts very helpful. I'll definitely be saving this for reference.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 9:25pm On May 02, 2019
Zutlin:

Thanks Einstein. I find your posts very helpful. I'll definitely be saving this for reference.

Thanks alot. I hope it helps.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ebimarian: 11:30pm On May 02, 2019
czaratwork:
Are you a black female accountant or finance profession? Have you joined our network? It is a network of black professionals helping themselves integrate into the system.

Please if you are interested, i will drop a link here to guide your joining the group.
Pls i sent u a pm.....pls reply
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:01am On May 03, 2019
Finally got around to this smiley

UNDERSTANDING PUBLIC TRANSPORT WITHIN THE GREATER TORONTO AREA (GTA)

Finding your Way Around
Google Map (or other map tool such as Triplinx) is your best friend if you want to make the best of public transit within the GTA. You get to see exactly which bus you need to take, what other options are available to you, when each bus will arrive, how long to your destination, how much your trip will cost, etc. With your google map in hand as a good user, you can never get lost. Be sure to have your phone well charged though or backup power (powerbank) in place, particularly in winter as cold is a fast battery drainer.

Alternatively, there are paper maps at most bus stops showing which buses go where, but those are a bit more complicated to use. Bus drivers are also a good option as they are usually very friendly and willing to assist you with determining the right bus to your destination.

30 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:04am On May 03, 2019
Paying for Public Transport
Cash
You can pay your fare in coins only. Drivers do not give change, so no notes. This is however not advisable as it usually costs a bit more to pay in cash compared with paying via your Presto Card. For example, TTC charges a fare of $3.10 when you pay with Presto Card and $3.25 when you pay cash. Ensure you collect a transfer slip each time you pay cash or by token as this enables you to change to another bus going in same direction within a 2-hour period starting from the time of payment. The expiry time of the ticket is usually printed on the transfer slip.

PrestoCard
This is a card-based payment management system for bus operators within the GTA, as well as some other cities in Canada. The Presto card costs $6 and is available at most Shoppers Drug Mart and select bus/train stations, including the airport. You can then load the card with your preferred amount or load a bus pass. There are two options to pay your fare with your Presto Card; pay-as-you-go or bus pass. For the pay-as-you-go, the bus fare is deducted from the card when you tap as you enter the bus. A 2-hour time period is automatically set on your card and you will be able to transfer to another bus (usually by same bus operator) within that time frame for free. For the bus pass, you pay a fixed amount weekly/monthly and you can use that bus operator without paying any additional fee throughout that week/month. Bus Passes will be discussed later when we discuss the different bus operators. Ensure you register your Prestocard online as soon as you get it in order to protect your balance when the card is lost or stolen.

The GTA Weekly Pass ($64.95) gives you unlimited access to all TTC, Mississauga, Brampton and York Region Transit routes, including service for persons with disabilities. This is a good option for those that live in Mississauga/Brampton and work in Toronto or vice versa.

A weekly/monthly pass is your best bet if you live and work in the same city. For those that live in Brampton and work in Mississauga or vice versa, using the pass of either city can also be a good choice, as they allow a limited use of the pass of one operator on the other operator.

37 Likes 44 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:09am On May 03, 2019
Bus Operators

Toronto Transport Commission (TTC)

This is the transport system for Toronto (which includes North York and Scarborough) and includes buses, trains and trams. It also extends into some areas in Vaughn, Markham, Mississauga, etc. It’s the cheapest way to get from the airport to Toronto if you don’t have serious luggage and have a Presto Card (you can buy one at the airport) or coins. This is however not advisable for those landing for the first time, due to the luggage you will be carrying and the fact that you don’t really know your way around and which bus you need (Bus 52 leaves the airport for various areas of Toronto).

Fare payment on the TTC can either be via cash, tokens or passes. Cash payment are done via coins dropped into the coin box beside the driver. Driver will not handle or count the coins; except you drop coins that are noticeably too few… then the driver can call your attention to it. Tokens can be purchased at convenience stores so that instead of carrying several coins around, you can pay your fare with a single token.

The TTC Monthly Pass gives unlimited use of all TTC transit modes (buses, trains, trams) to the holder from the 1st to the last day of every month. It cannot be carried from one month into the other, even if you got it at the middle of the month. If you live and work in Toronto, the bus pass is your best bet, compared to the pay-as-you-go.

33 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:12am On May 03, 2019
Mississauga Transitway (MiWay)
This is the transport system for Mississauga and extends into some areas of Brampton and Toronto. Bus 7 and a couple of others gets you from the airport into Mississauga. Payment method is similar to TTC, except that MiWay does not accept tokens/tickets. You either pay cash or use your Presto card. MiWay operates express buses such as 103, 104, etc, Express buses do not stop at every bus stop.

The monthly pass for MiWay gives you unlimited transit on all MiWay buses. This pass also extends to Brampton buses as long as you tapped your card on a MiWay bus within the last 2 hours prior to getting on a Brampton bus. No fare is charged for children 5yrs and under.

30 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:17am On May 03, 2019
Brampton Transit
This is the transport system for Brampton and extends into some areas of Mississauga, the airport and outskirts of Toronto. Express Bus 115 gets you from the airport into Brampton. Payment method is similar to MiWay. You either pay cash or use your Presto card. Brampton’s operates express buses such as 115, 501, 502, etc.

The monthly pass for Brampton gives you unlimited transit on all Brampton buses. This pass also extends to Mississauga buses as long as you tapped your card on a Brampton bus within the last 2 hours prior to the getting on a Mississauga bus.

Brampton Transit will accept transfers from the following Transit Agencies at any location, only if there is time remaining on the transfer:
• MiWay
• YRT/VIVA
• Oakville Transit
• Burlington Transit
• Hamilton Street Railway
• Durham Region Transit

24 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:20am On May 03, 2019
GO Transit
GO Transit operates a system of buses and trains, and are the fastest and most comfortable ways of travelling between cities in the GTA and Hamilton Area by public transit. They are also the most expensive. It is the only operator I know that operates double decker buses and trains in the GTA.

Fare payment can either be via tickets or Presto Card. If Presto Card, ensure you tap out when you exit the bus or train, otherwise you will be charged a fare equal to that of the person that stopped at the last stop. Fares are calculated based on distance. The excess payment can however be reversed if you return to the station and make a complaint.

20 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:23am On May 03, 2019
York Region Transit (YRT)
This is the transport system for York and covers areas such as Vaughn, Markham, Richmondhill, Aurora, Newmarket, the outskirts of Toronto, etc. Payment method is similar to MiWay. You either pay cash or use your Presto card. YRT also operates the Bike ‘n’ Bus program, allowing customers to use bicycle racks on the front of their buses. Each rack holds up to two bikes and is designed for easy loading and unloading. The Bike 'n' Bus program lets you pay your regular fare but your bike rides for free. This program is also run by TTC and MiWay.

The monthly pass for YRT gives you unlimited transit on all YRT buses. This pass also extends to Brampton buses as long as you tapped your card on a YRT bus within the last 2 hours prior to the getting on a Brampton bus.

13 Likes 23 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:26am On May 03, 2019
UBER
Upon landing at Toronto Pearson Int’l Airport and if you are not being picked up by family, this is the most efficient and cost effective method of getting from the airport to your accommodation. Note however that your Uber account must have a Paypal account or debit/credit card linked to it as Uber does not accept cash here. Uber can also be a cost effective way of getting around the GTA if you don’t have a bus pass. If you are not in a rush, you can select the Uber Express Pool option. That means you may share the ride with 2 other people (you are entitled to a maximum of 2 seats).The cost of the ride is cheaper, but Uber determines who gets dropped off first, so that may affect your arrival time a bit. It is not mandatory that someone will be added to the trip. I did a trip from Toronto to Brampton recently for $22 and no one was added… saved $20 as the cost of the usual UberX was $42.

I have never tried Lyft, so can’t share that experience.

35 Likes 34 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:39am On May 03, 2019
TIPS
Take note of alphabets appearing after the bus number. 52A & 52B goes to different locations. The direction the bus is going is shown by the alphabets E (East), W (West), N (North) S (South). Express buses in Toronto usually have a 9 before the bus number (952) and if the express bus is not going to get to its normal destination, you will see 952S (S here means short-turn). An express bus does not stop at every bus stop. E.g 952 bus will skip some bus-stops, while 52 will stop at every stop on that route.

Getting on/off the Bus
Bus doors open automatically and are operated by the driver. If you have a Presto card, tap on the Presto device to pay, otherwise drop your coins/token into the box. To get the driver to stop the bus just before you get to your bus stop, you can either pull the yellow rope on the side of the bus or press the stop button on the pole in the middle of the bus. Nothing like Owa! Owa! please. To get out, note the sign on the exit door on how to open it as the method of opening the doors differ from bus to bus. Generally, you either hold the bars on the door for them to open, wave your hand before the door, or touch the door.

45 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 4:48am On May 03, 2019
Bus Etiquettes
Avoid sitting in the reserved seats for pregnant women or people with babies, the elderly or physically challenged people. It is better to stand when other seats are occupied than to sit in those reserved seats, as you show your consideration for those the seats are reserved for. It is not acceptable to sit there with the intention of standing up when the appropriate person gets in… it can lead to an embarrassing moment. The fact that many people flout this rule doesn’t make it right. I attended a TTC training and this was a major part of it.

33 Likes 27 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 5:09am On May 03, 2019
Please pay your fares when you ride in public transit. It is not acceptable behavior to dodge fares, and a lot of people do this. TTC has a worse record with fare dodgers as the drivers are not as strict with fares compared to others (the TTC lost over $64m to fare evasion and faulty equipment in 2018) so they are implementing more measures to tackle the issue. That $3 you are dodging can become $200 or more in fines when you are caught, and it can go into your record as a conviction for a dishonesty related office

34 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbakweich: 5:10am On May 03, 2019
Hey my people, it's almost time and am getting more scared oo. Will be landing in Edmonton, Alberta on the 16th May and am not yet sure of even a shared room oo �. This Airbnb, do I pay on landing or before departing Nigeria? I don't mind any cheaper suggestions from elders in the building wink

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 6:37am On May 03, 2019
My people in Calgary, una well done o.

Abeg where/how dem dey take circumcise boy pikin for this city?

Please I'll appreciate advise and recommendations, thanks in advance.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadagang: 8:17am On May 03, 2019
Thank you for the information... So detailed and enlightening. God bless
amdman:
Bus Etiquettes
Avoid sitting in the reserved seats for pregnant women or people with babies, the elderly or physically challenged people. It is better to stand when other seats are occupied than to sit in those reserved seats, as you show your consideration for those the seats are reserved for. It is not acceptable to sit there with the intention of standing up when the appropriate person gets in… it can lead to an embarrassing moment. The fact that many people flout this rule doesn’t make it right. I attended a TTC training and this was a major part of it.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zutlin: 8:26am On May 03, 2019
amdman:
UBER
Upon landing at Toronto Pearson Int’l Airport and if you are not being picked up by family, this is the most efficient and cost effective method of getting from the airport to your accommodation. Note however that your Uber account must have a Paypal account or debit/credit card linked to it as Uber does not accept cash here. Uber can also be a cost effective way of getting around the GTA if you don’t have a bus pass. If you are not in a rush, you can select the Uber Express Pool option. That means you may share the ride with 2 other people (you are entitled to a maximum of 2 seats).The cost of the ride is cheaper, but Uber determines who gets dropped off first, so that may affect your arrival time a bit. It is not mandatory that someone will be added to the trip. I did a trip from Toronto to Brampton recently for $22 and no one was added… saved $20 as the cost of the usual UberX was $42.

I have never tried Lyft, so can’t share that experience.

Thank you! Now I have a much better understanding of things. Please what's the difference between the pool and express pool options?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mcstan18(m): 11:13am On May 03, 2019
Thanks a lot amdman and einsteino. Great deal of information you guys shared up there.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:18am On May 03, 2019
amdman:
Please pay your fares when you ride in public transit. It is not acceptable behavior to dodge fares, and a lot of people do this. TTC has a worse record with fare dodgers as the drivers are not as strict with fares compared to others (the TTC lost over $64m to fare evasion and faulty equipment in 2018) so they are implementing more measures to tackle the issue. That $3 you are dodging can become $200 or more in fines when you are caught, and it can go into your record as a conviction for a dishonesty related office

Wow. I read every information u shared up there and it's so insightful. Thanks a lot these are the kind of information necessary for the landed peeps. Hope to land soon
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jaygirl20: 12:50pm On May 03, 2019
Hii I'm also leaving mid June but to Edmonton
SekSek:
Hello People,

Just stumbled on this thread. So please redirect me if am on a wrong thread for this.

Just got my COPR and set to leave mid june.

With no relatives nor close friends in canada. I need a settling buddie. Please buzz me if you are also in need of a companion, got your COPR and leaving this period.

My details: Single, Female, in her 30s, Heading to toronto/missisauga/its environs.

Hope to hear from a perfect match soon.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jaygirl20: 1:27pm On May 03, 2019
I'm also landing in Edmonton but in mid June. For Airbnb it's advisable you book it before leaving Nigeria so you can have a place to stay once you land. Most of them have free cancellation too within a specific period and your money will be refunded.
mbakweich:
Hey my people, it's almost time and am getting more scared oo. Will be landing in Edmonton, Alberta on the 16th May and am not yet sure of even a shared room oo �. This Airbnb, do I pay on landing or before departing Nigeria? I don't mind any cheaper suggestions from elders in the building wink

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SixSigma1(m): 6:16pm On May 03, 2019
19CannyMum:
My people in Calgary, una well done o.

Abeg where/how dem dey take circumcise boy pikin for this city?

Please I'll appreciate advise and recommendations, thanks in advance.

Just google "male circumcision clinics Calgary" and you will get a list of clinics that carry out circumcision in Calgary. This what I got when I googled it:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enCA828CA828&ei=RXXMXJW2AeHl0gKeqJygBA&q=male+circumcision+clinics+calgary&oq=male+circumcision+clinics+calgary&gs_l=psy-ab.3...132832.132832..133852...0.0..0.74.74.1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.ebPRr3Fk8_w

Note that I have never used any of the clinics in Calgary but I have circumcised my male child while living in Ontario. So, call the clinics to find out about the cost and the procedure. You can also look for review online from anybody that have used any of the clinics before you use them.

As for the cost, I don't know if it is covered by Alberta Health Services or not but when I had my son circumcised in Ontario it was not covered by OHIP (I don't know if it is now covered or still not).

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:18pm On May 03, 2019
SixSigma1:

Just google "male circumcision clinics Calgary" and you will get a list of clinics that carry out circumcision in Calgary. This what I got when I googled it:

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1GCEU_enCA828CA828&ei=RXXMXJW2AeHl0gKeqJygBA&q=male+circumcision+clinics+calgary&oq=male+circumcision+clinics+calgary&gs_l=psy-ab.3...132832.132832..133852...0.0..0.74.74.1......0....1..gws-wiz.......0i71.ebPRr3Fk8_w

Note that I have never used any of the clinics in Calgary but I have circumcised my male child while living in Ontario. So, call the clinics to find out about the cost and the procedure. You can also look for review online from anybody that have used any of the clinics before you use them.

As for the cost, I don't know if it is covered by Alberta Health Services or not but when I had my son circumcised in Ontario it was not covered by OHIP (I don't know if it is now covered or still not).

Thank you. Its not covered by AHS. How much did you pay?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 8:35pm On May 03, 2019
amdman:

Good insight and information so far shared.

While some TTC bus drivers will overlook your incomplete payments at times, from experience, most immigrant drivers will always do this but some 'white' drivers for some reasons will pay close attention to the amount you are dropping at the sight of seeing you are a colored person. To avoid embarrassment and possible fine as earlier stated, do respect yourself and pay your money in full or if for any reason your coins are incomplete, politely confide in the driver, some will permit you to put in what you have while some drivers will refuse you entry altogether.

Also, some new buses have coin counter and sums up all the coins you deposit at the payment point, till they sum up to the required amount, you won't be allowed passage.

Furthermore, if for any reason your house or commute is closer to a subway, buses from here are usually free if you are transferring via there and may not require ticket to board, do well to request a transfer for onward itinerary as applicable. Also if you stumbled close to a subway as a result of your location, some designated routes are there that makes you go through a point of payment to access the bus terminals, don't try to play smart and never try sneaking past 'No entry' zones.

On the Richmond hill bus transit, some routine checks are made often on that route to catch defaulters that board without tickets, if you are caught as the prior poster said, you will be charged a fine and will have such integrity issues go into your record..

Summary: Our people say, no go use small shit spoil big yansh oooo

12 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SixSigma1(m): 9:18pm On May 03, 2019
19CannyMum:

Thank you. Its not covered by AHS. How much did you pay?

I really can not remember how much I paid then. It was 8 years ago and it was in Ontario. Also, back in Ontario the cost varies from clinic to clinic. So, your best bet is to call around.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iyamefa: 11:48pm On May 03, 2019
SixSigma1:

It is still not covered by OHIP because it’s not seen as a medically necessary procedure
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by seunlara(f): 4:42am On May 04, 2019
If u are in Ottawa ,beacon hill area and uyou need home daycare for kids 1-4,please contact me I am open for business .available slot is 3 thanks

20 Likes 6 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (128) (129) (130) (131) (132) (133) (134) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.