Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,559 members, 7,809,033 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (146) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182544 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Headnotthetail: 9:40pm On May 23, 2019
iaatmguy:
Alberta. But yet to land

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ekpekus(m): 10:34pm On May 23, 2019
Tone23:
Hello Alberta folks!

Shaw Promo for Internet is still available as follows:

Internet 300 (300 Mbps speed and unlimited data}

$38/month - 1st year
$53/month - 2nd year
Plus a $250 credit

Anyone interested can contact me.
Cheers!
What of old customers

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 10:38pm On May 23, 2019
[quote author=Headnotthetail post=78659949][/quote] OK thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:30am On May 24, 2019
Ekpekus:

What of old customers

@Ekpekus, we might be able to work something out depending on the kind of contract you're on currently. Send me a PM though so we can discuss!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyJaygirls: 5:43am On May 24, 2019
If you are coming to Edmonton and plan to cargo food, u may need to put a pause on it, or cargo food of about 20kg max. Eyes don dey shook here o.

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by OYASALOF(f): 8:37am On May 24, 2019
Please can you explain further

MummyJaygirls:
If you are coming to Edmonton and plan to cargo food, u may need to put a pause on it, or cargo food of about 20kg max. Eyes don dey shook here o.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Temas: 6:29pm On May 24, 2019
MummyJaygirls:

Madam we are still waiting for you to give further info on this.... thank you

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by threadstone(m): 8:35pm On May 24, 2019
Eddy4400:
Morning fam. Pls for those of us that added our spouse post PPR or COPR, was your spouse required to complete biometrics? This wasn't stated on the request letter I got. We're wondering if to pay for biometrics now, while paying for RPRF/application fee, hence the question.

Pls note that some people I asked on the Canada visa thread, confirmed their added spouse didn't complete biometrics, even though they had never done one before. Need to confirm with naija peeps. Thanks.

@threadstone @amakyzuu

I’m not sure if they have to. My spouse didn’t but again, My application was during the pre-biometrics era.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by threadstone(m): 8:57pm On May 24, 2019
voguemum:
Iftar Kareem to my Muslim brothers and sisters, the curious me wants to ask this question since we're in the month of Ramadan grin
1. How many hours do you guys fast for over there....what time you normally take sahur and also iftar?
2. Are there islamcschools for the kids?
3. Are there nearby mosques (in residential areas) for tahajjud, taraweeh and tafsir?

Hehehee.

1. Find below
2. Slightly depends on no 3. Yes im sure of one (naija ppls) but it holds on Sunday. Something like a nasfat setting.
3. It depends on where you live. There will be regular mosque activities as usual during the period.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 9:24pm On May 24, 2019
Tone23:
Hello Alberta folks!

$38/month - 1st year
$53/month - 2nd year
Plus a $250 credit

Cheers!

PM sent
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:21am On May 25, 2019
Godisincontrol:

PM sent

I've responded!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 2:37am On May 25, 2019
Tone23:

I've responded!

Seen
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 2:37am On May 25, 2019
hayor2014:
. You want to sell may transit, when month don reach half.... And is it not supposed to be assigned to your alone ?....

Who nor go nor understand.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyJaygirls: 2:46am On May 25, 2019
OYASALOF:
Please can you explain further

In the past couple of weeks in Edmonton, CBSA have been seizing cargo (mostly foods) weighing over 20kg, claiming thats the total amount of weight to bring in for food. So if u want to cargo food, it should be 20kg in total or less. Any cargo that has bugs will be thrashed, be it food or clothes in the food bag, as long as kokoro don enter the cloth, it aint going anywhere with u

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Alliance01: 2:47am On May 25, 2019
Hello guys I am planning on coming to Canada for studying. So I decided to had a conversation with a friend of mine who is in Canada, she gained entry with her husband through express entry. I asked her how is life like for Nigerians who gained entry into Canada through studying. But the picture she painted was very scary with regards to leave condition of Nigerians who are on study visa. Please I would like to get you views with regards to this and probably shed more light to it... Because am currently working on my application
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 6:14am On May 25, 2019
Alliance01:
Hello guys I am planning on coming to Canada for studying. So I decided to had a conversation with a friend of mine who is in Canada, she gained entry with her husband through express entry. I asked her how is life like for Nigerians who gained entry into Canada through studying. But the picture she painted was very scary with regards to leave condition of Nigerians who are on study visa. Please I would like to get you views with regards to this and probably shed more light to it... Because am currently working on my application

Not sure what you mean by leave condition?

Are you asking if day to day living as an international student is tough ? Maybe share some more specifics of what the friend said
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 7:59am On May 25, 2019

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 11:25am On May 25, 2019
[quote author=Headnotthetail post=78659949][/quote]i think this is for landed applicants
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Headnotthetail: 12:06pm On May 25, 2019
iaatmguy:
i think this is for landed applicants

Yes. I don't think you can convert if you are not yet a PR.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dannyko: 12:40pm On May 25, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by docsaj: 12:42pm On May 25, 2019
Hello e-fam, I would appreciate if any one in Winnipeg can assist with some questions i have abt life there. Hope to arrive for studies this fall. Pls holla if you're in Winnipeg, gracias!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mimi1999: 9:11pm On May 25, 2019
Palm oil 20kg? ���
Issorai!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 10:12pm On May 25, 2019
canadaman18:

Not sure what you mean by leave condition?

Are you asking if day to day living as an international student is tough ? Maybe share some more specifics of what the friend said

I believe they mean 'living condition'
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Moravia: 10:47pm On May 25, 2019
Hello, I'm interested.

Tone23:
Hello Alberta folks!

$38/month - 1st year
$53/month - 2nd year
Plus a $250 credit

Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:30am On May 26, 2019
Moravia:
Hello, I'm interested.

Hi, I believe I responded to your PM! Check your email. Cheers!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Christian22aa(m): 4:14am On May 26, 2019
Happy Sunday all good morning ❤ � �

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ayaade1: 5:48am On May 26, 2019
Dear poster,

Follow @momentswithbren on twitter , she posts a lot about how to get cheap schools and scholarships.

Kingsley1000:
I studied animal science with second class upper grade.
which canadian university that do offer scholarship to African
students or schools with low tuition fee i can do my masters in
Agricultural science
i have 400k in my savings,i'm 24.done with nysc

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kingsley1000(m): 6:48am On May 26, 2019
ayaade1:
Dear poster,

Follow @momentswithbren on twitter , she posts a lot about how to get cheap schools and scholarships.

Boss i'm not on twitter,do you have her number,whatsapp,Facebook,email or her nairaland accounts?
Thanks for your help
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Issyman(m): 9:55am On May 26, 2019
@ kingsley1000 Download the app, open your twitter account and follow her. She tweets a lot about scholarship.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Issyman(m): 9:57am On May 26, 2019
Kingsley1000:
Boss i'm not on twitter,do you have her number,whatsapp,Facebook,email or her nairaland accounts?
Thanks for your help

Download the app, open your twitter account and follow her. She tweets a lot about scholarship.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Issyman(m): 11:58am On May 26, 2019
[b]WHAT ARE SOME SUPER PRACTICAL THINGS ONE NEEDS TO DO IN THEIR FIRST 30 DAYS IN CANADA.[/b

Here are 27 things you should do, in no particular order:

Get your OHIP (Ontario Health Insurance Plan) sorted out. Or the health plan of which ever province you are moving to. Note that it takes at least 3 months to get it so you may consider getting private insurance while you wait.
Get your driving license. Hire a private driving instructor to train you, even if you have decades of experience. Road rules are different here (sometimes weird)
Research the best schools in your city and enroll your kids. is trusted with their annual school rankings report.
Get a Presto card for commuting while you get your license sorted out. You can use it on local transit and GO trains and buses. Tap on and off you go.
Understand how price matching at groceries works and start doing it. You will experience very quickly that customer service in Canada rocks! And it’s a shame to see how some people abuse it.
Get a membership at COSTCO. Big savings on bulk grocery shopping. Helpful for big and small families. Just make sure you have cleared out some space for those massive jars and containers.
Open up a bank account. RBC have a great newcomers deal where they patiently explain the whole process and new banking terminology to you (“Fixed Deposits” are called “Guaranteed Investment Certificates” for example). TD bank have a great app called My Spend which automatically tracks and categorizes your spending. Handy for the thrifty.
When you get a credit card USE IT. Don’t use your debit card unless you have to. When you pay off your credit card on time it improves your credit score which will be important for you later when buying/renting homes and cars.
If you have kids, apply for Child tax benefits to get generous income from the government to support your kids (O Canada!)
Got big savings from your home country? Plan to save to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP). You get a great tax return when you do this.
Want to save for your kids university education? Look into opening Registered Educations Savings Plan (RESP) to also get government grants to your child’s education.
Staying at an AirBNB? Find a realtor to get you the best deals on a house to rent (for now). It doesn’t cost you anything. They will get their commission from the landlord.
Too busy unpacking to cook? Register with Uber Eats or Skip The Dishes to order in. It will help you scan restaurants in your area that suit your palette.
Planning a direct flight back to your home country on Air Canada. Don’t forget to sign up for the Aeroplan rewards program to rack up those miles.
Choose a car and find three dealerships that sell it. Bargain for the best deal. Don’t be fooled by “No interest loans”. There is no such thing as no interest. They build the interest into the price.
Once you have a car, make sure you get road side assistance. CAA is popular, although my credit card also gets me access to my banks outsourced road side assistance service.
Research on the best deals for your car insurance. Insurance depends on risk factors tied to your age but also where you stay. Brampton has the highest car insurance rates. Being a new driver in Canada will also pinch your pocket. TD bank have an app called TD My Advantage that tracks your driving habits and discounts your premiums with them, based on how you score in your driving.
Buy winter tires. Recommended over all season tires. It’s a hassle to change on and off twice a year, but it’s worth it. Else you will discover how dangerous driving on the snow is the hard way.
If possible, wait till Boxing Day (Dec 26) to buy things like furniture and appliances. Super big massive sales at this time.
Rogers, Bell and TELUS are the big telecom companies here. There are cheaper alternatives. I suggest going for quality and use them to supply your mobile, internet and TV needs if you want reliable services. You get what you pay for. It is generally known that telco is comparatively expensive in Canada.
Start learning hockey, baseball and basketball. Else you will feel clueless and left out of many Canadian conversations.
Buy a good winter jacket. Be prepared to spend a little extra here. Get the boots and gloves too. I love my Canada Goose jacket and Columbia boots.
Join a local Facebook group that is linked to your area. Great source to get advice from real people. For example I stay in Brampton, and my wife is part of a group called “Brampton Moms”. Use the group to get advice and referrals on anything you need. And contribute as well. Give and take.
Find and register with a family doctor. Use your Facebook group to ask for good doctors around.
Find a good dentist. Dental is not covered by government health care so you must take care of those pearly whites. The dentist I go to schedules and consistently reminds me about my check ups. Get dental insurance (through your company or otherwise) and fix everything wrong with you and your family’s teeth NOW before it gets worse. Else you may end up spending 1000s over your private insurance limit. I personally know people who suffered this way.
Register for an online CRA account so you can receive tax notifications digitally. Online self serve tax tools like Turbo tax can automatically pull your tax details from it, making filing your taxes a breeze.
Watch out for fake messages from the CRA warning you that you owe money. “Click here or call back to fix your problem else you will owe a lot of money”. Those messages are all fake targeting innocent newcomers.
What about your job?!?!?

That’s a massive discussion on it’s own.

Check resource on how you can take a practical approach to your job search Canada.

Can my fellow Canadians think of anything I missed out?

You won’t get this advice at settlement services wink

So fee free to share this with someone you know is stressed out about moving to Canada. They’ll love you for it.

6.4k views · ·

Copied from- Qu

147 Likes 111 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 1:59pm On May 26, 2019
Issyman:
[b]WHAT ARE SOME SUPER PRACTICAL THINGS ONE NEEDS TO DO IN THEIR FIRST 30 DAYS IN CANADA.[/b

Got big savings from your home country? Plan to save to a Registered Retirement Savings Plan (RRSP). You get a great tax return when you do this.

Copied from- Qu
There's a limit to the amount you can put in your RRSP and TFSA and if you go over the limit, you will be penalized.

You will only know your limit after filling your taxes.

2 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.