Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,741 members, 7,806,023 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:24 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2180602 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sistaj: 4:09pm On Jan 10, 2019
Saintp:
Please guys, what is the easiest way to send money to naija from Canada? I need to send some money to someone in naija urgently.
Sometimes,people living in Canada might need CAD and then you exchange with them for the equivalent in Naira which is sent to your designated account.People in the whatsapp group I belong to do that all the time and I am sure that happens in other groups too.
Pm me if you wish.Thx
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmartt(m): 4:11pm On Jan 10, 2019
sunvick:
The two bold are a red flag for me. How come the embassy is talking about an application whereas its only an invitation you received from the wayo company!!

Just google the clearance certificate "Canada", you will realise you have no business with that as you have never lived in Canada before. That is the caveat to exploiting you.

Why not share the email address of the embassy that sent you this email so we verify the domain of the embassy.

The person behind this is not smart to have sent such to me. I knew they were going to capitalise on the lawyer clearance stuff to milk me dry. Trust me, they are in for a long thing.
Anyway, find the cheap mail below
canimmigration@live.com

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmartt(m): 4:14pm On Jan 10, 2019
behati:

It has "scam" written all over it. I would be careful to part with money if i were you.

Thanks a lot! I really value ur observations!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wholesomegrace: 4:26pm On Jan 10, 2019
Tojued:

Learner grin grin grin when your mates were doing 'bend down select' during university days you were buying from boutique, abi?

I think an ordinary wash usually gets the smell out. Those days you wash as usual, then spray perfume.
In these days of softener you could do a quick wash, and then extra rinse with softener.

grin grin grin grin we actually did some bend down things ooo but we go wash die until the smell wears off before that clothe can make its debut. Perfume to the rescue. I'm planning to wash just once

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Luce: 4:30pm On Jan 10, 2019
Landing Gist closely mirrors amdman’s (same flight, same day,etc...) except there was a little boy sitting beside me on the trip from Addis to Toronto and his father had no control of him. To top it all, they were French speaking, his monitor wasn’t working properly and he was looking all set to frustrate me on a 16 hour journey, nobody told me before I called the hostess to come and hook him up; he thus proceeded to tap me every time he needed to change his cartoon, but at least he was occupied for the most part. The turbulence and altitude loss were scary no lie, but we made it so thank God.
Opened an account with RBC the next day and got a 2k credit limit, got a prepaid freedom line with unlimited Canada wide calling and global texting plus 10gb, it was expensive af though but will get cheaper from next month and once I switch to postpaid. Moved my money using my friend’s PayPal account (charges were very annoying but I felt safer with the process)
Went to the Catholic Church close to me the next Sunday and on New Year’s Day and the Sunday after that; staying with a friend for the next month while I figure out what to do permanently and also started applying for customer care jobs (because all these sales at the mall need to be funded from somewhere other than my POF, lol)
Had a medical Surveillance condition attached to my COPR so I was to call and report to a particular number within 30 days of landing, which I did; spoke with the nurse and she said she would mail over some documents but I don’t have to go see a doctor until my health insurance kicks in in 3 months so I don’t have to pay for the tests (but the phone call had satisfied the reporting requirement).
Weather’s been absolutely tolerable, I keep hearing that this is a good winter though, but I’m sha grateful it’s good while I adjust. Snow comes from nowhere and disappears just as suddenly, it’s almost comical. The sunset time has been affecting my circadian rhythm though, it’s dark as early as 5pm so my body just wants to sleep but I’m getting used to it now.

68 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Luce: 4:38pm On Jan 10, 2019
Some pictures

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 4:59pm On Jan 10, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Inception12: 6:58pm On Jan 10, 2019
Hello people.. Is there anyone here who is a truck driver... I've been thinking about it for some time now but what I've read online is a bit discouraging
Apparently the hours are insane and getting into it is a bit expensive. Anyone to throw more light on it please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Walexwal: 11:28pm On Jan 10, 2019
Hi guys, what is the best way for a student in UK to obtain Canada Visa through coming for conference ? Is there anything one that add to the app to be successful with it
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by evanehman: 1:02am On Jan 11, 2019
Please i need your advice my good people,l notice the PR CARD will be ready only within 2 month processing time after arriving canada ..is it possible to come into canada apply at the airport for PR card then go out after like after 3 weeks to my home country to my job and when the PR card is posted to mailing address in canada by ircc it received by a third party (my friend) and then forward aboard to me by my Friend via courier and i can use to return to canada later when i quit my job and ready to travel back to canada and also is it possible to start applying job wHEN THE PR card is still in processing by ircc
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 1:58am On Jan 11, 2019
evanehman:
Please i need your advice my good people,l notice the PR CARD will be ready only within 2 month processing time after arriving canada ..is it possible to come into canada apply at the airport for PR card then go out after like after 3 weeks to my home country to my job and when the PR card is posted to mailing address in canada by ircc it received by a third party (my friend) and then forward aboard to me by my Friend via courier and i can use to return to canada later when i quit my job and ready to travel back to canada and also is it possible to start applying job wHEN THE PR card is still in processing by ircc

Hi, your friend can receive and send your PR card to you through another person coming to Nigeria. That is how most people move it because though some people are able to courier it, customs agents sometimes remove PR cards from courier packages during screening. It's actually the property of the Canadian government and they don't want to hear 'stories that touch' should it fall into wrong hands smiley So to avoid this, just arrange for someone to bring it.

And sure, you can start applying for jobs while you await delivery of the PR card. Hope this helps, all the best.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ebi12: 1:59am On Jan 11, 2019
Please can anyone share their experience as regards a career in supply chain management

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 3:21am On Jan 11, 2019
Absolutely! smiley
jmnsimone:
I know that this isn't directed at me but thank you so much for sharing. Can I also PM you for the study material?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by evanehman: 5:54am On Jan 11, 2019
Blackbuddy:

Hi, your friend can receive and send your PR card to you through another person coming to Nigeria. That is how most people move it because though some people are able to courier it, customs agents sometimes remove PR cards from courier packages during screening. It's actually the property of the Canadian government and they don't want to hear 'stories that touch' should it fall into wrong hands smiley So to avoid this, just arrange for someone to bring it.

And sure, you can start applying for jobs while you await delivery of the PR card. Hope this helps, all the best.

Sir thanks for the info but ,are you very sure that people do this because somebody was telling l need apply PRTD (permanent resident travel document ) inside canada before going out canada and or outside canada before coming back please Clarify the exact information ..am confuse!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 6:00am On Jan 11, 2019
Luce:

To the best of my knowledge, if you purchase the monthly 150 dollars plan using this option on the presto site instead of selecting a specific transit pass, then you can use your presto card anywhere in the GTA but once you cross over to a new city from Toronto e.g. Brampton, etc, you have to pay a new 3 dollar value.(also valid for 2 hours as in Toronto, I believe)

What you are doing is loading your presto with funds, not same as purchasing a pass. In this case, the fund is debited as you use and each transit agency would charge their own fee when you transfer on a trip, in the end it is way more expensive than a pass if you move around at least once every day. I had actually written a tutorial covering the use of google map for public transit and all one needs to know about transit system & fares(plus few tips), I even had picture aids from actual trips I took. unfortunately, just when I was done, I lost a friend and was disoriented for days so was in no state of mind to post. The next day Dec 29, the phone the whole stuff is in suffered an RPM Crash and I havent gained access to it since then.

Maybe I'd start afresh and write the much I can manage to, it may make people's integration quite easier.

23 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 6:13am On Jan 11, 2019
Luce:
Landing Gist closely mirrors amdman’s (same flight, same day,etc...)
Opened an account with RBC the next day and got a 2k credit limit, got a prepaid freedom line with unlimited Canada wide calling and global texting plus 10gb, it was expensive af though but will get cheaper from next month and once I switch to postpaid. Moved my money using my friend’s PayPal account (charges were very annoying but I felt safer with the process)

Welcome boss. a lil money saving tip, go for a plan with less data if you have wifi at home, it would be cheaper by a lot. I am on freedom too, my plan is 5gb, monthly bill + tax is $45(I'm assuming yours cost more). I mainly use phone data for whatsapp, browsing and google maps(I do everyother thing only when I am connected to wifi), my max data usage has never crossed 2gb in a month. To cut cost on google map, download offline map of canada using wifi, that way all google map would use your data for is to get your gps co-ordinates and transit info.

Lastly, you really get mind o! your POF really large for fear to gree you to wage paypal bills. Everyone else I know did it the other way round.

28 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 6:22am On Jan 11, 2019
Glowingx:

Pele, jumping Bus can be so frustrating especially when a 5mins trip by car takes 40 mins, or one misses ones bus ,thankfully the weather has been at peace ✌️. So pain of waiting in the cold hasn’t become excruciating.
Car na big necessity shaaa, makes hustling / movement easier

The bolded is so true. emphasis on hustle.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 8:10am On Jan 11, 2019
Sorry about the phone crash. Pls work on the tutorial afresh. May you always remain blessed!

einsteino:

What you are doing is loading your presto with funds, not same as purchasing a pass. In this case, the fund is debited as you use and each transit agency would charge their own fee when you transfer on a trip, in the end it is way more expensive than a pass if you move around at least once every day. I had actually written a tutorial covering the use of google map for public transit and all one needs to know about transit system & fares(plus few tips), I even had picture aids from actual trips I took. unfortunately, just when I was done, I lost a friend and was disoriented for days so was in no state of mind to post. The next day Dec 29, the phone the whole stuff is in suffered an RPM Crash and I havent gained access to it since then.

Maybe I'd start afresh and write the much I can manage to, it may make people's integration quite easier.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sylokobi: 8:38am On Jan 11, 2019
WoodcrestMayor:
I did CSI's IFC(Investment Funds in Canada)

Thank you

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 10:57am On Jan 11, 2019
From what has been posted earlier in part 1, it is tough but doable.

The kind of government support depends on your target province. Read the case of a single mother (student) from here to page 404. Ignore the fights and the parts discussing other issues.

Amandacanny:
Good day guys, plz I need clarification as am planning to land with my 2 kids without hubby. Reason being that him accompanying brought down our score so we decided to apply without him for now. Plz any chance of me coping with them (3 yrs and 1 year old) pending when hubby comes through family sponsorship. Am really worried about taking care of them and working. You guys that have landed already should kindly tell me if is possible. Thank you

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Amandacanny: 11:14am On Jan 11, 2019
God bless you
joo2018:
From what has been posted earlier in part 1, it is tough but doable.

The kind of government support depends on your target province. Read the case of a single mother (student) from here to page 404. Ignore the fights and the parts discussing other issues.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wholesomegrace: 11:58am On Jan 11, 2019
Amandacanny:
Good day guys, plz I need clarification as am planning to land with my 2 kids without hubby. Reason being that him accompanying brought down our score so we decided to apply without him for now. Plz any chance of me coping with them (3 yrs and 1 year old) pending when hubby comes through family sponsorship. Am really worried about taking care of them and working. You guys that have landed already should kindly tell me if is possible. Thank you

I haven't landed yet, but will soon be with my two angels. I hear its tough by doable. Start making plans early ...accommodation, job, school, transportation etc. Get mentally, emotionally and spiritually prepared. Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Emmyirab(m): 1:29pm On Jan 11, 2019
Hello E-family!
So I will be coming to the University of Regina, Saskatchewan by April for the spring semester.
Please, is they anyone here who can help me settle down when I get there?
I would really appreciate.
Thanks in anticipation.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Amandacanny: 1:38pm On Jan 11, 2019
Thanks darling. I will make sure I ask you sometime later to see how you are coping. I wish you success.
wholesomegrace:

I haven't landed yet, but will soon be with my two angels. I hear its tough by doable. Start making plans early ...accommodation, job, school, transportation etc. Get mentally, emotionally and spiritually prepared. Cheers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wholesomegrace: 2:21pm On Jan 11, 2019
Amandacanny:
Thanks darling. I will make sure I ask you sometime later to see how you are coping. I wish you success.

Amen. Thanks too
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 2:42pm On Jan 11, 2019
einsteino:

Please do.

We would be waiting Gracias
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sunbbo(m): 3:35pm On Jan 11, 2019
WoodcrestMayor:
It's about having a plan and sticking to it. The exam will set you back a few dollars and you can only write in Canada. I can send you the soft copy I used(main study material though. When you come in and register,
you will be given the same material and you can add study packs at a few extra dollars. I heard of someone who started with CIBC as an advisor and now works for the government of Alberta as a BA earning 6 figures. If you want to go the BA route, you have to put in the required shift. I bought a udemy course and will start as soon as I get comfortable at work.

Thanks for this, I have been considering the BA too, I wouldn't mind getting softcopy of the study materials. talk2sunbo@gmail.com thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Shokoloko(f): 3:48pm On Jan 11, 2019
Amandacanny:
Also check wwdotsinglemomprosperitydotcom
There is lots of information.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ibnhasan: 4:43pm On Jan 11, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dkizzy01: 6:10pm On Jan 11, 2019
please are you a student of NOUN

WoodcrestMayor:
I honestly don't know anything about this line but it sure sounds like a degree that can land you juicy government positions grin

Hopefully, someone who's in this line would see your post and respond appropriately smiley
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Caveman2: 6:25pm On Jan 11, 2019
Hello house, Is Cfa certification recognized by Canadian recruiters? Does one have to do the CSI courses after obtaining the Cfa?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: sisit

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.