Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,169 members, 7,807,545 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 03:07 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (153) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2181624 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by enemyofprogress: 11:01pm On Jun 04, 2019
mydeporch:
Congrats bro....happy for you...this time next year, would be sharing my story too because i see a trend of 1yr for d processing...God is involved and he will perfect everything a am following his leading. God help us excel in ielts....

[qquote author=GozyNA post=78860477]As earlier promised,

Landing Gist!!! grin

I will probably put up interesting pictures as they come and as I see fit. Also if there is a whatsapp group for Calgary, please I would like to be added to it.

Forgot to add earlier that I had to explain the Express Entry process in summary twice to different officials at the airport.

I pray this land favors us all. Amen!!!
amen o

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Winterpeg: 4:42am On Jun 05, 2019
laminaria:
Pls guys I want everyone to put mouth for this matter and I blv we’re all gonna learn from it. I understand at one point or another people (new immigrants) are more likely to go for a course or another prg to reach that top rank in Canada ....either to changing career or follow same path.
My question, Go for a diploma prg(2yrs) or another degree (4yrs)which one is a better choice n career wise.
I need practical n personal experience pls.

I believe many factors go into choosing what career path to take or what courses to do. Generally speaking some people get luckier than others and get good jobs without having to go through much trouble or taking any courses. Your career path and what you already have will determine what program to do.
From my own personal experience, I have been able to land a few interviews along my career line but I have not been lucky enough to go past the interview stage. So in order to break the barrier I decided to apply for a MSc program despite the fact I already have MSc from Nigeria and I tried but could not get Phd admission.
I also believe that if I can try to work hard and get good grades, I will definitely hit the sweet spot in my chosen career. So weigh your options, know what you want, look at what you already have, what part of Canada you are going to and make your decision.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nicoletheo: 8:00am On Jun 05, 2019
Good morning NL Family, please I would like to ask Engineers in the house what the job market in Canada is like for Drilling Engineers/those who work on Rigs?. My partner is a drilling engineer however, I am the principal applicant in this case. Any ideas if jobs abound? His BSc is in Mechanical Engineering and he has done his BOSIET. He is currently studying for his Well Control Exam .
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by foi59: 11:48am On Jun 05, 2019
Good day people.

Please i have some questions on my mind to help me settle in proper on arrival in canny. I studied French language in the university and have been teaching it ever since(over 5years) but I'm considering a career change in Canada because i want something more liberal and stuff that will give me the ability to relate more with people i.e adults. Although i wouldn't using French skill as well.
I like the media i.e radio n TV (i also have some experience in it but no certification).
Please what do you advise? What kind of careers are currently in high demand? Is media OK? What about HR? I just need general advise based on the present situation in Canada.
Thanks a lot.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ayabahipee(f): 11:56am On Jun 05, 2019
Good day e-fam, pls I need a little favor from you.
Kindly link me with whatsapp group of landed seniors in Saskatchewan as I need some answers to some vital information. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Milllz: 1:13pm On Jun 05, 2019
amdman:

Send me a PM if you are interested in joining the WhatsApp group of Nigerians in the GTA

Hello. Is there a WhatsApp group for Nigerians I Toronto? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by teechedah: 1:18pm On Jun 05, 2019
Please how is life in Canada as an Architect moving to canny from Nigeria?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mydeporch(f): 3:02pm On Jun 05, 2019
GozyNA:

It can happen much faster so I pray it all works out for you and that you have a shorter processing time than most people.
Amen. Thanks..booking ielts test against 6th july.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chuksp09(m): 4:57pm On Jun 05, 2019
Theokleia:

Wow. God bless youuuuuuu
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 7:06pm On Jun 05, 2019
foi59:
Good day people.

Please i have some questions on my mind to help me settle in proper on arrival in canny. I studied French language in the university and have been teaching it ever since(over 5years) but I'm considering a career change in Canada because i want something more liberal and stuff that will give me the ability to relate more with people i.e adults. Although i wouldn't using French skill as well.
I like the media i.e radio n TV (i also have some experience in it but no certification).
Please what do you advise? What kind of careers are currently in high demand? Is media OK? What about HR? I just need general advise based on the present situation in Canada.
Thanks a lot.

Teaching French with the school board is a good profession. I'd carry on with that. If you don't want too I'd try working with the federal government doing something like communications. But continuing teaching would be very lucrative. Specifically with the school board.

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 7:49pm On Jun 05, 2019
I recommend you go here if you’re new in Calgary. They’re very helpful.

46 Likes 29 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by foi59: 8:25pm On Jun 05, 2019
maternal:

Teaching French with the school board is a good profession. I'd carry on with that. If you don't want too I'd try working with the federal government doing something like communications. But continuing teaching would be very lucrative. Specifically with the school board.

Thanks for replying however i didn't study French education just pure French. Also, i'm not sure i stand d chance of teaching French to the Canadian. What do u think?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by teepee4Him(m): 8:48pm On Jun 05, 2019
gogedda:
Finally landed 2 weeks ago as a single man. Passed through Immigration and customs without no problem in MMIA. Both Luggage were over 23 kg while carry on was over 7 kg. The guys at Ethiopian airline stand allowed me to add more weight to the carry on to make it 12kg while the luggages were left at 25kg each. Trip to Adisabba was long, and then Dublin and then Toronto. Couldn't eat the food served in the plane, only ate the bread and Red wine. Landed on Saturday, went through immigration and customs in Toronto without any problem and then the final leg of the journey to Calgary. I am currently staying with a friend who is married. I have done my SIN, Health Card, bought a sim, visited 2 immigration services (CCIS and Mustard seed ministry) in downtown. I was able to get a reduced bus pass for the month of June and paid $37.5 instead of $104 or so. If you are less than 30yrs, You can visit CCIS, they have a 2 weeks employment training. I met a Nigerian there and he told me about the training and also showed me his check . If you attend it without missing a class , they will pay you $900. I couldn't do it cos I am over that age. I have also learnt the bus and train route system after downloading the Calgary transit app. I am also currently studying for the Alberta driver's license exam. Both fields that I have experience in (Geoscience & Real estate )are licensed here, so I am currently looking for a job while I prepare to do a 2 yrs course in SAIT. Please kindly link me up if you have any. Thanks

@ bolded: is the training also available in Toronto? My age qualifies for this and I am highly interested. I travel this weekend and will deeply appreciate a response and info.

Thanks.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by LadyJasper: 9:19pm On Jun 05, 2019
foi59:

Thanks for replying however i didn't study French education just pure French. [b]Also, i'm not sure i stand d chance of teaching French to the Canadian. [/b]What do u think?
Are you for real?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gogedda: 12:31am On Jun 06, 2019
teepee4Him:

@ bolded: is the training also available in Toronto? My age qualifies for this and I am highly interested. I travel this weekend and will deeply appreciate a response and info.

Thanks.

Actually I can't say, you might need to google it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 3:49am On Jun 06, 2019
LadyJasper:

Are you for real?

Me sef shock.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:55am On Jun 06, 2019
Hello people.
Date: March 28th, 2019.
Further along we'll know all about it
Further along we'll understand why
Cheer up my brother
Live in the sunshine
We'll understand it,
All by and by.

Having gotten our PPR on January 25th, we went to Lagos to submit our passports. CoPR was stamped and collected after about 17 days. We began to note the things we needed to buy and those not going with us to Canada.
The last two weeks we spent in Nigeria was hectic, as we were rigorously moving things here and there, we thank God for the help we got from people.
We booked flight with Ethiopian airlines in February for a March 14th flight. I called their customer Care for information for preggy wife, and was told she needed a fit to fly certificate from a clinic in VI. I was also informed that I could check our bags in 48 hours before our flight, which turned out to be a big misinformation later in the morning movie.
We moved to Lagos on Tuesday March 12th, completed fit to fly process on 13th, got to MMIA on 14th, only to be told that the fit to fly certificate cannot fly, and we had to do it at the airports clinic. ET apparently gives conflicting information at times. Amidst the sweat and stress, my wife got the certificate at the airport. It is noteworthy here that, you could do your fit to fly at the airport's clinic.
It's funny how our parents and relatives kept mum on the March 10th ET crash, I assumed they didn't hear, and my wife and I agreed not to scare them with the news. It was later we discovered they too have been careful not to mention such.
We boarded our flight, our first time ever in a plane/jet/aircraft, and we didn't know 8 8 hours had passed until we touched down at Addis Ababa. The second leg of the journey was equally uneventful. However, I made a friend on the journey when we both heard ourselves speak Yoruba language - myself and my spouse were communicating in Yoruba. Chatted with my new found friend, strolled up and down, lokked at different faces, marvelled a little ...and we finally touched down at Toronto.
We passed immigration easily, got our SINs and was booked for another flight to Calgary for free. Family came to pick us up, as we took in the Fact that we have landed.

POINTS OF INTEREST
1. It can't be over emphasized that you you begin to pack your things as soon as you get your PPR. It could be overwhelming if you fall to do so in time.
1. ET fit to fly is doable at the MMIA, the one we did at Charles Hammond clinic wasn't necessary.
1. If you're flying ET, be there long before your flight.
1. When you want to select seat, the front row seats give you enough leg room space.
1. If you're family with kid or kids, you should aim for front row seats when booking, of you can't get front row, you could choose the first and last seats on a row, you may be left with middle seat, if there are other vacant seats.
1. If your child or children is calm enough, get a stroller.
1. Always ask questions, even in the aircraft.

Part 2, or so I think. Date: 5th June, 2019.
I'm gonna just start typing straight, and I don't know how long or short a read this will be.
This part dwells more on my (and some our) experience since we landed.
Relatives came to pick us up from the YYC airport, and we spent 3 weeks with them, in a very quiet town named Three Hills, a place populated with 3000 people and we were then the only African family there, or so I think, we were being looked at as we see Oyinbo people in our street in Nigeria.
Our first two weeks or so in Calgary was busy, it was as if it would take long to get used to the system. While still learning, I can boldly say, things are not as difficult as they appear, the transportation system especially, being 'loco' from Naija, I wondered if I could really get a hang of some things. However, here we are.
Canada is a great country, but there are still bad people here.
Beware of 'Check Scam': Someone sent me an email that he wanted me to help him repair 800 laptops, which I agreed to. He said he'd send them 20 laptops per week. He further said, he would send me a 2000cad check, and I should deduct my 680cad, and send the rest to the 'Shipper', whose details he provided. I smelled rat, and my wife advised me to be careful. True to his messages, he sent the check, and even asked me to let him know I got the check so he could call his bank to authorize the deduction from his account. Almost true right? I guessed so too.
Well, I googled 'Check Scam' and I learnt if I had cashed the 2k, it would have been approved. If I had deducted my 680cad, it would have been possible, if I had sent the 1320cad to the address he provided, it would have been possible... But after a few days or so, when my bank institution reviews the transaction, the 2000cad would have bounced and my account debited. Hence I would have been duped of 1320 cad. Google it yourself, you'd be better enlightened and be more careful.
The laptops he wants to have repaired nko? Well, maybe he’ll send them tomorrow. cheesy
Lesson: Don't send money or check to someone you have never met or don't know.
Yesterday, someone said she received a WhatsApp video call, and the person requested for her SIN and date of birth, which she gave them. Thank God, the lady spoke up, IDENTITY THEFT is the bane of the Western World. Do NOT give people these details unless it is a CONFIRMED government or organization with a physical address.
Last month of April, I took a seasonal role as a Tire Technician with an organization, this role is physically demanding, yes, PHYSICALLY DEMANDING, read the decorated role on indeed.ca. After working for a week, I observed rashes on my skin which later aggravated to itchiness, skin dryness, skin peel and sleeplessness, and increase blood pressure; visiting my family physician, I learnt my skin was reacting to the salt used to melt ice in my province, increase blood pressure was a result of sleeplessness... Then I remembered, salt is an agent of dehydration. Well, I managed for a month, before I left.

Lesson: There are many survival jobs around, pick the one not too draining, and your health first. Cashier jobs, retail and grocery stores recruit regularly.
Canada is a great place to have your baby(ies). Amen to the Prayers of expectant mums and waiting mums.
Okay, there are white beggars too, like, you have a coin, please, kind, it was one of the shocks I had.
If you're in Calgary, make sure your movement takes you to CCIS, God bless the visioneer(s). They have settlement and employment counsellors, and the services are free.
Yes, Immigrants Services Calgary is a good place too.

I've met quite a number of people, most are helpful, there are few bad eggs though.

I met an angel in form of a man this week at CCIS. Pray to be at the right place at the right time. Ecclesiastes 9:11.
Congratulations to the new IELTS smatchers, ITA getters, PPR Landers and landed Landers.
While I am just typing this off, I hope you get some of those seemingly disjointed points.

My vote of thanks is to everyone who have been helpful on this great platform. I don't want to mention people amiss, but your Worths reside in the hearts of men and women using this platform.
God bless.

166 Likes 37 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by happyme31: 10:30am On Jun 06, 2019
foi59:

Thanks for replying however i didn't study French education just pure French. Also, i'm not sure i stand d chance of teaching French to the Canadian. What do u think?

Nice
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 10:58am On Jun 06, 2019
gogedda:
Finally landed 2 weeks ago as a single man. Passed through Immigration and customs without no problem in MMIA. Both Luggage were over 23 kg while carry on was over 7 kg. The guys at Ethiopian airline stand allowed me to add more weight to the carry on to make it 12kg while the luggages were left at 25kg each. Trip to Adisabba was long, and then Dublin and then Toronto. Couldn't eat the food served in the plane, only ate the bread and Red wine. Landed on Saturday, went through immigration and customs in Toronto without any problem and then the final leg of the journey to Calgary. I am currently staying with a friend who is married. I have done my SIN, Health Card, bought a sim, visited 2 immigration services (CCIS and Mustard seed ministry) in downtown. I was able to get a reduced bus pass for the month of June and paid $37.5 instead of $104 or so. If you are less than 30yrs, You can visit CCIS, they have a 2 weeks employment training. I met a Nigerian there and he told me about the training and also showed me his check . If you attend it without missing a class , they will pay you $900. I couldn't do it cos I am over that age. I have also learnt the bus and train route system after downloading the Calgary transit app. I am also currently studying for the Alberta driver's license exam. Both fields that I have experience in (Geoscience & Real estate )are licensed here, so I am currently looking for a job while I prepare to do a 2 yrs course in SAIT. Please kindly link me up if you have any. Thanks

Congratulations on your landing. Please is there anything like or similar to CCIS in Ontario?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sinie: 10:59am On Jun 06, 2019
Shyee:
Hello people.
Date: March 28th, 2019.

Congratulations. May you prosper in your new home....

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 234ng44uk(m): 12:04pm On Jun 06, 2019
foi59:

Why do you think so? Any particular reason or just a confidence issue?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hebun(f): 12:27pm On Jun 06, 2019
Hello People,

Just my two cents;
I know @ifeoma77 mentioned it earlier in the thread (or maybe it was the sister thread) but I will just like to buttress the need to take advantage of pre-arrival services available to us. The ones for Nigeria are online but trust me they are worth it.
Let's not restrict ourselves to people's landing gist etc.
There will be one or two things you can pick up from the sessions.
I just finished a MAP session and I was "blessed"

*goes back to silent reader mode�

19 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChinenyeT: 1:24pm On Jun 06, 2019
Brothers and sisters we are in dire need of accommodation in the GTA, we are a family of 4, 2 beds/3beds will do. We are temporarily in Etobicoke. Anywhere in the GTA is fine. Our budget is between 1400 & 1700. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GozyNA: 3:15pm On Jun 06, 2019
You can ride the C Train in Calgary for free either way between City Hall and West/Kerby Stations along 7 Avenue. If you’re leaving downtown better pay your fare ‘cause if officers catch you, your name na sorry grin

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by foi59: 4:12pm On Jun 06, 2019
234ng44uk:

Why do you think so? Any particular reason or just a confidence issue?

Confidence? Absolutely not! I'm only trying to make a good decision based on recommendations from those who might know better in this field. Plus it goes without saying that in a country where French is their second official language,they'd have so many natives at their service. It's just the reality.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rence22(f): 4:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
Have you tried the tricks exposed on this website " zero2hired" I have gradually started putting his advice into practice. Please check it out. If you haven't been able to get pass the interview stage, then there is something you are missing.
Winterpeg:

I believe many factors go into choosing what career path to take or what courses to do. Generally speaking some people get luckier than others and get good jobs without having to go through much trouble or taking any courses. Your career path and what you already have will determine what program to do.
From my own personal experience, I have been able to land a few interviews along my career line but I have not been lucky enough to go past the interview stage. So in order to break the barrier I decided to apply for a MSc program despite the fact I already have MSc from Nigeria and I tried but could not get Phd admission.
I also believe that if I can try to work hard and get good grades, I will definitely hit the sweet spot in my chosen career. So weigh your options, know what you want, look at what you already have, what part of Canada you are going to and make your decision.

13 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rence22(f): 4:48pm On Jun 06, 2019
Good anytime. I studied communication and media and I have been lecturing in Nigeria and about to journey to canny and without French background. Since you are interested in moving into my field, the French they speak there has its own comma so you have to familiarize yourself with it. If you have good writing skills and reading as well, With those two, go into editing and content writing.
foi59:
Good day people.

Thanks a lot.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 7:11pm On Jun 06, 2019
Make sure of an agent or kijiji

ChinenyeT:
Brothers and sisters we are in dire need of accommodation in the GTA, we are a family of 4, 2 beds/3beds will do. We are temporarily in Etobicoke. Anywhere in the GTA is fine. Our budget is between 1400 & 1700. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChinenyeT: 9:37pm On Jun 06, 2019
Hotstepper:

Make sure of an agent or kijiji

Can you pls give me the contact of any agent. Pls

(1) (2) (3) ... (150) (151) (152) (153) (154) (155) (156) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 3 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.