Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,908 members, 7,802,952 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 05:01 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (195) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2178364 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mamaaryastark: 4:56am On Aug 06, 2019
Hi, please I am also interested in the link. Landing September. Thanks
Jaygirl20:

In my opinion, the Southside is ideal for families. There's a Telegram group, you can join and get more answers to your questions there. Send me a PM so I can send you the link.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ttmacoy: 7:37am On Aug 06, 2019
When you say he got an employment offer, you mean from Nigeria? If yes he should be careful of scams as if he is going on a work visa as you claim they cannot force a commitment to remain after he gets his permanent residence.

Also have they confirmed how they will get him a work permit?

keleto:
Hello seniors, a friend of mine just got Employment Contract from a canadian Employer through an agency. He would be going on a 2 yr visa(work permit)
But there is a statement included in the contract, .....................Can someone help to explain this.......

Please consider this job offer as a commitment
that you will be employed with us on a permanent full-time basis upon receiving your Permanent Resident Status

Does it mean he MUST still be with the employer even affter getting permanent residency?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Orange1234: 9:37am On Aug 06, 2019
Hello Claire18, please can you paste the amazon link of the adaptor. Thanks.

Claire18:
grin ...So, Our online stores have a lot to learn o. I decided to use amazon to buy the adapters @ 3 for $10 which was a very good deal. I ordered it last night. It arrived this morning with other items. I was dumbfound. They sent me a mail as evidence of delivery.....as I didn't sign on delivery grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by EHAO: 9:50am On Aug 06, 2019
einsteino:

There is a chemical Engineer I know that recently landed a process engineer job, you might want to hook up with him for pointers. We have a very small whatsapp group of Nigerian Engineers in Canada, it might help to join the group to get a diverse opinion as I can only know so little outside my discipline(Civil Engrng).

Pls can you add me to the whatsapp group? I have a background in petroleum engineering and hope to be landing in Alberta in the later part of the year. Can I pm you my details? Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by keleto(m): 10:31am On Aug 06, 2019
ttmacoy:
When you say he got an employment offer, you mean from Nigeria? If yes he should be careful of scams as if he is going on a work visa as you claim they cannot force a commitment to remain after he gets his permanent residence.

Also have they confirmed how they will get him a work permit?

not really a scam, i have seen the offer letter myself. The employer has processed the required LMIA. Next stage for him is to process the work permit------Through a canadian immigration consultant anyway

The main issue now is the committment
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SmallerB: 10:35am On Aug 06, 2019
Hi, please is anyone here living in saskatoon? Please signify

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 1:04pm On Aug 06, 2019
EHAO:

Pls can you add me to the whatsapp group? I have a background in petroleum engineering and hope to be landing in Alberta in the later part of the year. Can I pm you my details? Thank you

Yes, you may send a pm. Just to keep your expectations in check, pls note that it is a very small group and it is often quiet unless there is really something to talk about or answer.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 1:09pm On Aug 06, 2019
Narkoya:

Thanks a lot. Hamilton it is then. Pls do you have any pointers for me with respect to settling down?

I think all you may have read on settling down in Toronto or any part of Canada should suffice, as Hamilton can only have a few peculiarities in that regard. What would help is to find someone who is living/have lived in hamilton to maybe give you pointers on the best area for newcomers and the no-go areas. Also, such network could make finding your way around town and job hunting easier than it usually is.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Narkoya: 1:11pm On Aug 06, 2019
einsteino:

I think all you may have read on settling down in Toronto or any part of Canada should suffice, as Hamilton can only have a few peculiarities in that regard. What would help is to find someone who is living/have lived in hamilton to maybe give you pointers on the best area for newcomers and the no-go areas. Also, such network could make finding your way around town and job hunting easier than it usually is.

This makes sense. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oakville19: 1:56pm On Aug 06, 2019
keleto:
Hello seniors, a friend of mine just got Employment Contract from a canadian Employer through an agency. He would be going on a 2 yr visa(work permit)
But there is a statement included in the contract, .....................Can someone help to explain this.......

Please consider this job offer as a commitment
that you will be employed with us on a permanent full-time basis upon receiving your Permanent Resident Status

Does it mean he MUST still be with the employer even affter getting permanent residency?

I personally think it means the employment will only become valid when he receives his permanent resident status. That is they are making a commitment that he will get the job once he becomes a permanent resident.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by emmatrack(m): 2:07pm On Aug 06, 2019
In that case, your friend should exercise great caution. There are lots of question mark surrounding that situation

keleto:

Period not stated; That is my friend"s concern now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MissEmmy: 4:19pm On Aug 06, 2019
Hey there, I live in Saskatoon and I’m currently working in USASK as a Research Assistant, pending commencing PhD by Sept. I saw your mail but don’t know how to go about replying you. Maybe if you leave a comment for me on here I can be of assistance. Cheers

SmallerB:
Hi, please is anyone here living in saskatoon? Please signify
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by swizy: 4:42pm On Aug 06, 2019
So this news has been flying around in a WhatsApp group and people involved seem not to want to speak up or take proper actions. This is me doing the little I can to alert y'all.

There is a fraudulent travel agent by name MR AFUNKU YUSUF ADENIYI going about duping people in the name of getting a cheap flight ticket for them. He appears to be registered with NANTA (National Association of Nigeria Travel Agencies) and his ID shows he is a valid member on their website. A recent victim got his number from the group and asked for confirmation from those who booked with him. From series of comments, he is in the habit of giving fictitious booking ref numbers even though he managed to conclude bookings for some people but they went through alot of stress to get him to do that which took like couple of weeks to months. One of the members in the group went to confirm from Lufthansa and was told he was blacklisted a while back. And the Lufthansa staff said a number of people have come to make same confirmations of non existent bookings.

Back to the recent victim. Apparently he sent a booking ref no to this person who confirmed it on the airlines site or so. After a couple of days, going back to check again, the booking has be voided. All efforts to reach this agent became futile as he went incommunicado. We were alerted in the group today about this happening and we were trying to find out who recommended him to the group. Now the part paining me is that someone else in this whatsapp group was sending the screenshot of the conversation going on to him. He has an accomplice in the group!. They managed to get across to mr fraud and he had the guts to say that he is aware he's been called out in the group and gave more long stories and epistles.

More stories are coming up of people he duped and still haven't refunded till date. He is still acting innocent and full of stories according to those that managed to get across to him on phone. I don't even know what to make out of this anymore.

Anyway... if you happen to come across this name, Afunku Yusuf Adeniyi, face or number +234 803 497 0977 anywhere, please shout it and perhaps warn whoever it is to flee from Mr Afunku cos he is a confirmed fraud.

P.s I don't know what the people he duped have done or are doing. They aren't saying anything else in the group. It seems they want to pardon the fraud and the accomplice still in the group.

11 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 4:53pm On Aug 06, 2019
AZeD1:

It's why I said 7 /10 do not make it.

For those who get though this route, there's a hidden trap which is you cannot visit Nigeria until you get a Canadian passport.

Also worth noting with elections this year, immigration is a big topic hence the crack down.
even with that, if misrepresentation is found in ones application, CITIZENSHIP WOULD BE REVOKED

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 5:26pm On Aug 06, 2019
iaatmguy:
even with that, if misrepresentation was found in ones application, CITIZENSHIP WOULD BE REVOKED
That's true.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by EHAO: 5:38pm On Aug 06, 2019
einsteino:

Yes, you may send a pm. Just to keep your expectations in check, pls note that it is a very small group and it is often quiet unless there is really something to talk about or answer.

I totally understand. I have some engineering questions that I want to ask in the group. Sending the pm now
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by donrabii: 5:57pm On Aug 06, 2019
swizy:
So this news has been flying around in a WhatsApp group and people involved seem not to want to speak up or take proper actions. This is me doing the little I can to alert y'all.

There is a fraudulent travel agent by name MR AFUNKU YUSUF ADENIYI going about duping people in the name of getting a cheap flight ticket for them. He appears to be registered with NANTA (National Association of Nigeria Travel Agencies) and his ID shows he is a valid member on their website. A recent victim got his number from the group and asked for confirmation from those who booked with him. From series of comments, he is in the habit of giving fictitious booking ref numbers even though he managed to conclude bookings for some people but they went through alot of stress to get him to do that which took like couple of weeks to months. One of the members in the group went to confirm from Lufthansa and was told he was blacklisted a while back. And the Lufthansa staff said a number of people have come to make same confirmations of non existent bookings.

Back to the recent victim. Apparently he sent a booking ref no to this person who confirmed it on the airlines site or so. After a couple of days, going back to check again, the booking has be voided. All efforts to reach this agent became futile as he went incommunicado. We were alerted in the group today about this happening and we were trying to find out who recommended him to the group. Now the part paining me is that someone else in this whatsapp group was sending the screenshot of the conversation going on to him. He has an accomplice in the group!. They managed to get across to mr fraud and he had the guts to say that he is aware he's been called out in the group and gave more long stories and epistles.

More stories are coming up of people he duped and still haven't refunded till date. He is still acting innocent and full of stories according to those that managed to get across to him on phone. I don't even know what to make out of this anymore.

Anyway... if you happen to come across this name, Afunku Yusuf Adeniyi, face or number +234 803 497 0977 anywhere, please shout it and perhaps warn whoever it is to flee from Mr Afunku cos he is a confirmed fraud.

P.s I don't know what the people he duped have done or are doing. They aren't saying anything else in the group. It seems they want to pardon the fraud and the accomplice still in the group.

This is really sad. Why would someone be duped and still keep quiet? Tue group admins should weed out the accomplice in the group. Thanks for sharing this

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 7:17pm On Aug 06, 2019
Claire18:
grin ...So, Our online stores have a lot to learn o. I decided to use amazon to buy the adapters @ 3 for $10 which was a very good deal. I ordered it last night. It arrived this morning with other items. I was dumbfound. They sent me a mail as evidence of delivery.....as I didn't sign on delivery grin

Don't forget to unsubscribe from prime before the one month free trial runs out.

Except you actually want to subscribe for prime.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Winterpeg: 8:41pm On Aug 06, 2019
swizy:

Thanks for this information. It might be bad to judge a book by its cover but this one physically looks like someone with a questionable character.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 9:32pm On Aug 06, 2019
Winterpeg:

Thanks for this information. It might be bad to judge a book by its cover but this one physically looks like someone with a questionable character.
grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MsJu: 9:50pm On Aug 06, 2019
grin grin
Winterpeg:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sweetrie(f): 12:13am On Aug 07, 2019
Please can someone on a visit visa to UK, apply for a Canadian visit visa from the UK Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Toluwa55: 7:43am On Aug 07, 2019
Good morning here, please do anyone know about Royal Roads University in Canada?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mmanwanyi: 11:28am On Aug 07, 2019
Please for folks in Mississauga and environs, the Catholic school in this area is telling me that I cannot enrol my kids in the school except they bring their Catholic Baptism certificate or my own catholic baptism certificate. Please do I have any other option apart from baptising these kids in a Catholic church or myself in order to get this certificate as I am not Catholic and I really want them to attend this school?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by daks02: 11:38am On Aug 07, 2019
Please my people always endeavor to use a travel agent that you're familiar with, or even if someone recommended him to you, still try and ensure he is someone the person has been using for a long time. Better still book directly from the airline or through them wakanow, travelstart etc. It is worth the peace of mind o.

Abeg anyone landing in edmonton in September? Lets link up o! Two heads are better than one

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 1:43pm On Aug 07, 2019
Red deer people una weldone o! Rainy day @Discovery Canyon

24 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4evaco: 3:27pm On Aug 07, 2019
Hello all. Please is there anyone living in Hamilton who will be available to help me view a house this Thursday or Saturday? Thank you in advance for your kind assistance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:11pm On Aug 07, 2019
mmanwanyi:
Please for folks in Mississauga and environs, the Catholic school in this area is telling me that I cannot enrol my kids in the school except they bring their Catholic Baptism certificate or my own catholic baptism certificate. Please do I have any other option apart from baptising these kids in a Catholic church or myself in order to get this certificate as I am not Catholic and I really want them to attend this school?
It's the correct requirement. Catholic schools are for Catholic families.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hotstepper(f): 4:41pm On Aug 07, 2019
u have to baptize them before they can enrol

mmanwanyi:

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hephgirl: 6:51pm On Aug 07, 2019
SO I HAVE LANDED

PART 1
Part 1
Portharcourt to Lagos
Flight : fly aero
Time 3:30 pm
Remark

Logistics:
Called Pam Drive that we needed two siennas. And they should be in my house by 12noon.
Gave them date

Remarks: drivers were at my place 11:30 and 11:45 respectively
They both called a night before and in the morning to reconfirm.
Both cars carried our stuffs comfortably... Ride was smooth

PACKING
Packed our stuffs as though we were travelling internationally.
So weighed and re weighed
Had one box for Lagos Waka and all
Left the house around 12:30 pm
Sent our stuffs to be cargoed to Lagos a week before.
I packed and left two boxes empty for last minute stuffs... Best decision I made.
My husband brought more clothes around 10:30 pm... Pretended as if there was no space .... I slept Abeg..
He brought out a box I kept for him and he quietly arranged his stuffs in it... Me I already told my self I will rest well a day to travel.. And I did just that.
Watched SHAFT, and some episodes of MONEY HEIST.

DAY OF TRAVEL
Bags were ready.. And arranged according to their height... ����
Hubby went to work �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️
He had to monitor some equipments going offshore...
Egbami.. Nitori Olohun ( I don't know where this yoruba came from) Abeg o... This man wanna use his raggae to scatter my blues... Haaaaa �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️
I reminded him the time and said boo pls be here... I don't want u taking night bus to Lagos... ( Wait were u expecting me to wait for him?���� wake up abeg) I love that man scarra... But Canada is calling and I'm not missing my flight to Lagos... If he misses his... He better enter another one or enter road.
Phew finally he got home 12 noon...���� he met all the cars loaded and we were ready... That moment he knew I was Damn serious... (Initially he suspected).
He messed out timing... I wanted a few minutes for quickie ( debauchery Yer Yer)... Eases tension jare... And makes us laugh intermittently when we remember ������� tested and trusted �������

House keeper and nanny
They didn't know... Was just packing and locking packed items in my room. I said I was decongesting... I think they felt we were going to a new house...
Anyway day of travel I told them... Was kinda emotional. Gave them alot of stuffs.... A whole lot... They were too happy. They cried.. They are definitely going to miss the kids.. Especially my nanny.

LUGGAGE
8 boxes
2 handluggages
One twin stroller
Two toddler car seats

At the airport
As soon as we got to the Omagwa comman see heavy rain...
How to get these boxes out ����was all I could think about.... Then I said "Lord take control"
Jesus babies had arrived... That's how rain reduced o... Hmmm sweet ����.

So our many many bags.... we cargoed the extra boxes at 300 naira per kg as against airlines 500 naira per kg.

It was prority check in ���� got done with that...
Sat down relaxed for my flight...
Kids were hungry... Golden morn to d rescue �‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️�‍♂️.
Oya flyaero... We r ready... Next thing @ 3:16 they announced flight has been moved till 3:50pm... Hunger en... Mscheew...
Genesis to the rescue... Coconut rice and chicken stew.
. Yum yum... I felt that food... As in en I felt it... Felt like boyz2men plugged to the ears at night and u in love and d song just reminding u of love love things ������������������
My gush I'm a foodie. I experienced foodgasm.

We finally boarded around 4:20... I kukuma know local flight... As always one hour delay �����.

So we've landed... Picked our bags.. Strolled to d cargo pick up point to pick our bags... At this point I'm thinking about food �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️ wait hope I'm not pregnant? Wareva I'm not a virgin duh....

I peep at my husbands face.. I see hunger (I laughed inside... He was too busy to eat) if we had d quickie at this point we will burst out laughing.

6:28 pm we just collected our cargoed bags ������

My mum is eager to see her grandkids she won't stop calling.. Battery is 19%

Phew I'm tired jare...

40 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Hephgirl: 6:52pm On Aug 07, 2019
PART 2
PART 2
some people's hearts are about to be broken thinking it landing Gist buhahahahhah ��������

Oya relax and read

Phew
So remember I said we sent our stuffs to Lagos...
Guess what? Some were not there yet.. Inshort one bag was missing �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️
The moment we landed Lagos... Vacation started for me.. Hubby is now on full time duty

I saw him jack one Gmg... (Abeg o... What happened to my ajebo caramel chocolate boo����... It's was sexy sha���� Chai... Was now imagining things ... Now I wanna be jacked... �����)

So 9am to cargo turned to 3:35pm

We used Deen
He had his guys call me and follow up especially when our timing had changed �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️
We sha made it there...
I feel my husband jinxed it sha... Cos he said we won't be done before 4����

Mehn
Anyway we got there when it's was almost 4 so Ndlea guys where almost closed... But "Leo" tried

I didn't tell u guys how I got home... It was With my dad's Hilux.... That Hilux performed magic... It took all our kaya....
Same thing we used to cargo... We had 9 big GMG �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️ please ask me what's inside �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️. The black and white Gmg stood d test of trial and tribulations... But u see those other type... It ripped �‍♀️�‍♀️�‍♀️

I wonder people who don't cargo how dey do it...
What happened to all ur stuffs mehn...

PROCESS
So u drive in drop ur stuffs
Then go and repark.. We parked at that Dhl place beside it... ���� was convinient.

Den came back.. Dey made us wear those reflector vest and went in.

NDLEA will now search through ur bag... As In chook hand inside o... Bringing out stuff sef
( package ur pants and bra well ��� before someone will squeeze ur bra and ur start feeling pain on ur boobs... Haaaa Egbami ����� )

After the search they'll start packaging.
One set of people will use carton to package
Another set uses one iron stuff ( see pictures) to put it in place
Another set uses a sack to wrap and meticulously sew...

While waiting we were taking selfies and being silly ������

After sealing ur luggage
Then Ndlea person will now sign and write date on the consignment �. Meaning he has to be there till it's finally wrapped incase u wanna sneak in drugs �����

Someone uses black paint to write ur name and city of pick up on it.

After u now weigh... This is the actual weight not the one u did before. Because the packaging adds to weight.

The people weighing signs on it and get dimensions... That's all.

At this point bae was hungry... Abeg lemme go and "breastfeed" allllll my babies

20 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (192) (193) (194) (195) (196) (197) (198) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.