Stats: 3,150,369 members, 7,808,292 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:56 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (202) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182151 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 5:14am On Aug 23, 2019
lennyk:
Good morning my landed seniors, Please I have an urgent question to ask. Please if you arrive Calgary on a weekend (Saturday or Sunday) will you be able to get the SIN formalities done? As someone told me that the people in charge of this would not be around on the weekend and then I would need to come back to the airport again for this. Please can anyone confirm for this from their own experience?
if you land on a weekend, you don't need to go back to the airport for SIN, you would do it at a service Canada center close to you on a week day

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damzy88: 9:52am On Aug 23, 2019
bekayy:
You don reach here. Congrats again. Love from Part 8. Hahaha.

Abi naa. The hustle is real grin

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lennyk: 8:27pm On Aug 23, 2019
iaatmguy:
if you land on a weekend, you don't need to go back to the airport for SIN, you would do it at a service Canada center close to you on a week day
Thanks a lot and noted. Please do you know if if I can carry groundnuts in a bottle to Calgary?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JESUnifemi4eva: 8:51pm On Aug 23, 2019
lennyk:

Thanks a lot and noted. Please do you know if if I can carry groundnuts in a bottle to Calgary?

Yes, just make sure that it is in a plastic bottle e.g. Eva water bottle and not a glass bottle e.g. Old wine bottle.

You can even put it in your carry-on luggage to eat during your transit stop.

6 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 5:13am On Aug 24, 2019
lennyk:

yes you can, but it's best you use a plastic container aka Eva bottle water
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Scandinavian02: 6:01am On Aug 24, 2019
iaatmguy:
yes you can, but it's best you use a plastic container aka Eva bottle water

Bros, abeg groundnut no dey this Cannyland wey we dey hustle like this? Wetin boys go use sip garri?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 7:33am On Aug 24, 2019
19CannyMum:

How e be for the road test? Please pass and come and share tips with us.

This may help.

Always have your hands at the 9 & 3 or 10 & 2 position when driving and when making turns either shuffle the steering wheel or do the hand over maneuver.

*ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR EVERY SIGN* on the road side and *marking on the street*

when switching lanes, always follow the *SIGNAL, MIRROR AND SHOULDER CHECK ROUTINE*
make sure you switch lanes only after completing the shoulder check and have turned your face back to the road.

*ALWAYS USE SIGNAL LIGHTS* whenever you are making a turn and when reversing.

when reversing, *ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR THREE MIRRORS* (left, right and inner) and also look through the rear glass before moving an inch

*NEVER SLOW DOWN UNECESSARILY* while driving or *switching lanes* Own the road especially when you have the right of way

At 3 or 4 way stop signs remember the first to get there proceeds first so if you are the first there, do not be hesitant to move afterwards

Treat yield signs appropriately and never stop unnecessarily, rather slow down do a quick scan for oncoming vehicles and pedestrians and continue when safe.

*ALWAYS STOP FOR 3 SECONDS* at every stop sign before proceeding. NEVER do a rolling stop

when making a left turn at a solid green light, always move forward pass the line and come to a stop. Only proceed when there are no pedestrians and oncoming traffic

*ALWAYS USE THE LANE CLOSEST TO YOU AFTER COMPLETING A TURN*

*NEVER GO FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT* and never go slower than 9km/hr of the speed limit, always maintain the 2 SECONDS following distance when behind a vehicle. Don't be too slow for the road conditions as well.

Master your uphill and downhill parking with and without curbs as well as your parallel parking.

In addition, get an instructor to take you around areas in the vicinity of the registry where you will be taking the road test to familiarize yourself with it. If possible use the same vehicle you used for practising to do the road test.

All the best

88 Likes 102 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 8:33am On Aug 24, 2019
Scandinavian02:

Bros, abeg groundnut no dey this Cannyland wey we dey hustle like this? Wetin boys go use sip garri?
my sister, na 9ja me sef i dey o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pleasant19: 11:16am On Aug 24, 2019
teechedah:
Hi guys,
Please like how many %tage tax do Canada govt deduct from someone's monthly salary? Am asking for a friend?
https://neuvoo.ca/tax-calculator/
I found this to be closest give or take a few dollars.

5 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by irocalot042: 3:24pm On Aug 24, 2019
Hello House, Pls are there any HSE professionals here who have landed and have been able to get the CRSP designation or have gotten a job with Nigerian work experience/certificate? I really need some help on how to go about being certified in Canada. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by padix: 4:59pm On Aug 24, 2019
Hello guys, Got my ppr 2 days ago.
Timeline
March 1 Aor
RFV (ppr) 22nd August
VO Ottawa.
And i raised a cse 7 days ago to correct my hours worked as stated on my ref letter, just got a response now that it has been forwarded to the VO.

I hope that will not delay my copr.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Eddygourdo(m): 7:40pm On Aug 24, 2019
Question for people with experience.

Those who are in Canada. What are the life prospects for someone with these profiles.

1. Primary applicant has the following degrees, PhD, M. Eng, B. Eng, cumulative of 10years post graduation experience with 4 as a practising engineer and the recent 6 as a lecturer (senior lecturer). Primary applicant is married, one child, wife is a graduate (b. SC), with brief work experience. Husband is 33, wife is 27.

2. Primary applicant is a banker (microfinance), MBA, Bsc. Single , male and never married, thus will have to leave alone. This person is 30.

3. Primary applicant is a female, 37, single and never married, has 12 years experience as an accountant (principal accountant), she is ACCA chartered, has the following degrees, MBA, B.sc.

Anyone with experience of the Canadian life and experience in terms of job prospects and ability to settle down, possibility for success in the immigration to Canada endeavour etc.

I will like honest submissions from people on the three profiles. Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lennyk: 10:41pm On Aug 24, 2019
Hello my landed seniors,

Please permit me to ask a silly question. Is everyone always asked for POF at the POE? Also is it the bank statement i used in my application that i provide. I have the print out of my domiciliary account where i kept all the money i changed to dollars. I'm not sure of the one to carry.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by universe26(m): 10:59pm On Aug 24, 2019
I'm just booking a space for my success story (smile).
I heartfuly love the testimonies here, it's giving me the feelings of when i'll have my PR.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by universe26(m): 11:04pm On Aug 24, 2019
padix:
Hello guys, Got my ppr 2 days ago.
Timeline
March 1 Aor
RFV (ppr) 22nd August
VO Ottawa.
And i raised a cse 7 days ago to correct my hours worked as stated on my ref letter, just got a response now that it has been forwarded to the VO.

I hope that will not delay my copr.

Congratulation, i believe your copr will not be delayed.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chydoo: 12:46am On Aug 25, 2019
Landing gist.
We are a family of three (now four smiley )and we started our journey to Canada on the 6th of June via Ethiopia airline.

I didn't find the Journey funny, thanks to my one year old son. He is used to having a lot of space to play (we play alot) and could not understand why he had to be pinned to a small area in our over twenty hour flight . My wife being heavy, I had to bear the burden of managing him alone through out the journey in order not add stress to her

We landed in Edmonton on the 7th, rested that night in my wonderful Friend and colleagues's house before we continued our journey to Kamloops in British Colombia. I got a job there between PPR and landing. I had previously booked the flight to Edmonton after PP but before the job came.

Thank God for RCCG Kamloops.
We got their contact online and contacted them for help.
They assisted us by picking us from the airport, taking us around to get a temporary accommodation and feeding us on landing as well as buying some grocery.

We paid for the temporary accommodation we chose for a one month duration, while still assisting us find a permanent one. God bless them richly.

I was a able to get a permanent accommodation through my friend and colleague at my place of work.

Next challenge was birth.
Just to clarify to PRs who are planning to land in BC and are to give birth before 3 months, you will pay for the birth.
Birth cost hers is minimum of 7k to 8k CAD . I was getting varying information from landed PRs, that is why I am making this clear.

The good side is that you can spread the payment monthly for up to at least 48 months if not more. And you also get to receive monthly child benefit payments for your child. Also, you get to receive some percentage of the bill back on tax filing

Wish you all the best.

Lessons learnt in my opinion

1. Follow the Job not the city or province.
My friend in Edmonton drummed this to my ear after PPR. As non landed PRs we have the flexibility of choosing to settle in any province or city before landing as there are no attachments (like house rent contract) yet. One can always move back to desired location in the future if necessary. So while applying online before landing, do not limit yourself to particular city or province. This may not apply to PNP.

2. The less you buy and cargo, the better for you. Everything is here and the stress of carrying those stuffs may not be worth it

3. Professional certifications that are internationally recognized are more valuable in job search than conventional school certificate. This should be obvious

4. Everyone's story and journey is different. You can learn from other people's story but that does not mean yours will be same.

5. Have faith and be positive

Thank you

125 Likes 32 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by billezzen(m): 4:53am On Aug 25, 2019
orobs93:

Me dey find I never see
what you looking for
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 5:36am On Aug 25, 2019
A roommate or a partner to rent with around Toronto axis
billezzen:
what you looking for
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bracha: 8:41am On Aug 25, 2019
Good morning Claire18, I have some questions for you. Please pardon my forward essay ☺.
1. About the nylon you used to package your foodstuffs, what is it called? Where can it be gotten?
2. Also, can i use ziplock bags for the foodstuff? What do you think?
3. Did you put your toiletries and creams in a ziplock bag or in any nylon at all?

Thank you.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemocheee(m): 9:34am On Aug 25, 2019
Good morning folks. Please I have a good problem and I'm losing sleep over it already.

I'm currently in Calgary, staying with my cousin for about 2 months now. Just recently, I got a job here in Calgary and I'm expected to resume tomorrow. Let me also say that the pay is quite good too. However, last week thursday, I got another job at Ottawa and the difference in salary is about 18k (gross)

Both jobs are of the same category, Senior IT Security role.

Now to the main point: I'm seriously contemplating relocating my wife and son to Ottawa but my cousin feels the increase in salary is not material enough to offset the cost of living @ Ottawa in short and long term. He's of the opinion that staying close to family and friends in Calgary will be beneficial to me in the long run.

Please for folks living in both cities,which do you think is the best choice at this point in time? Should I stay in Calgary or move to Ottawa?

P.S My wife is also into IT Security but she's yet to get a job in Calgary yet.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 1:07pm On Aug 25, 2019
Scandinavian02:

There is NO NAME groundnut in superstore and wholesale club, but it's salted...so i first rinse the salt off the groundnut with water before putting the garri and drinking...it's exactly the same taste in my opinion

7 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 1:14pm On Aug 25, 2019
phemocheee:
Good morning folks. Please I have a good problem and I'm losing sleep over it already.

I'm currently in Calgary, staying with my cousin for about 2 months now. Just recently, I got a job here in Calgary and I'm expected to resume tomorrow. Let me also say that the pay is quite good too. However, last week thursday, I got another job at Ottawa and the difference in salary is about 18k (gross)

Now to the main point: I'm seriously contemplating relocating my wife and son to Ottawa but my cousin feels the increase in salary is not material enough to offset the cost of living @ Ottawa in short and long term. He's of the opinion that staying close to family and friends in Calgary will be beneficial to me in the long run.

Please for folks living in both cities,which do you think is the best choice at this point in time? Should I stay in Calgary or move to Ottawa?

Your cousin is correct, 18k is not worth the move, cost of living there is way higher than the 18k ....once ur wife has all the needed certifications ...she will land her own job.....

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 3:35pm On Aug 25, 2019
Scandinavian02:

That's one thing I've not really found here. Groundnut. Closest so far is the superstore roasted peanuts that you crack before eating.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 3:36pm On Aug 25, 2019
Godisincontrol:

This may help.

Always have your hands at the 9 & 3 or 10 & 2 position when driving and when making turns either shuffle the steering wheel or do the hand over maneuver.

*ALWAYS LOOK OUT FOR EVERY SIGN* on the road side and *marking on the street*

when switching lanes, always follow the *SIGNAL, MIRROR AND SHOULDER CHECK ROUTINE*
make sure you switch lanes only after completing the shoulder check and have turned your face back to the road.

*ALWAYS USE SIGNAL LIGHTS* whenever you are making a turn and when reversing.

when reversing, *ALWAYS LOOK AT YOUR THREE MIRRORS* (left, right and inner) and also look through the rear glass before moving an inch

*NEVER SLOW DOWN UNECESSARILY* while driving or *switching lanes* Own the road especially when you have the right of way

At 3 or 4 way stop signs remember the first to get there proceeds first so if you are the first there, do not be hesitant to move afterwards

Treat yield signs appropriately and never stop unnecessarily, rather slow down do a quick scan for oncoming vehicles and pedestrians and continue when safe.

*ALWAYS STOP FOR 3 SECONDS* at every stop sign before proceeding. NEVER do a rolling stop

when making a left turn at a solid green light, always move forward pass the line and come to a stop. Only proceed when there are no pedestrians and oncoming traffic

*ALWAYS USE THE LANE CLOSEST TO YOU AFTER COMPLETING A TURN*

*NEVER GO FASTER THAN THE SPEED LIMIT* and never go slower than 9km/hr of the speed limit, always maintain the 2 SECONDS following distance when behind a vehicle. Don't be too slow for the road conditions as well.

Master your uphill and downhill parking with and without curbs as well as your parallel parking.

In addition, get an instructor to take you around areas in the vicinity of the registry where you will be taking the road test to familiarize yourself with it. If possible use the same vehicle you used for practising to do the road test.

All the best

Nice tips, Thanks.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 3:41pm On Aug 25, 2019
hayor2014:

Your cousin is correct, 18k is not worth the move, cost of living there is way higher than the 18k

@phemocheee : I strongly second this.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 3:46pm On Aug 25, 2019
Vermilion Lake, close to banff, Alberta

38 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire40: 4:06pm On Aug 25, 2019
19CannyMum:
Vermilion Lake, close to banff, Alberta
oh my!!!!! Beautiful kiss kiss kiss

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 4:39pm On Aug 25, 2019
phemocheee:

Bros jump on the next plane with your family. To begin with Ottawa is a cheap city to live in. It's a small city (a bit over a million) with big city amenities. Taxes in Ontario is a bit more, but that extra 18k gross will more than offset it. An extra 18k gross a year will net you at least an extra 9k in your pocket easily. You'd be crazy to turn down an extra 9k in your pocket yearly. This narrative that Ottawa is way more expensive than Calgary is a lie. I've lived in both cities. Lastly with Ottawa being the capital, a lot of government agencies are looking for someone in your field. I feel there's more opportunities in Ottawa for you. Not to mention you already got a job that pays 18k more. People should be careful of people who are enemies of progress. Canada is yours to explore. If things don't work out trying to explore X then you can always return to Calgary. I can live with making a mistake, but not regrets.

51 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemocheee(m): 4:44pm On Aug 25, 2019
Thanks bro, I appreciate your contribution
hayor2014:

Your cousin is correct, 18k is not worth the move, cost of living there is way higher than the 18k ....once ur wife has all the needed certifications ...she will land her own job.....
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemocheee(m): 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2019
Thank you my brother, I appreciate this
maternal:

Bros jump on the next plane with your family. To begin with Ottawa is a cheap city to live in. It's a small city (a bit over a million) with big city amenities. Taxes in Ontario is a bit more, but that extra 18k gross will more than offset it. An extra 18k gross a year will net you at least an extra 9k in your pocket easily. You'd be crazy to turn down an extra 9k in your pocket yearly. This narrative that Ottawa is way more expensive than Calgary is a lie. I've lived in both cities. Lastly with Ottawa being the capital, a lot of government agencies are looking for someone in your field. I feel there's more opportunities in Ottawa for you. Not to mention you already got a job that pays 18k more. People should be careful of people who are enemies of progress. Canada is yours to explore. If things don't work out trying to explore X then you can always return to Calgary. I can live with making a mistake, but not regrets.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phemocheee(m): 4:45pm On Aug 25, 2019
Thanks bro, I appreciate
19CannyMum:

@phemocheee : I strongly second this.

(1) (2) (3) ... (199) (200) (201) (202) (203) (204) (205) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: mbukun

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68