Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,495 members, 7,808,832 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:39 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (227) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182429 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bawss1(m): 12:15am On Oct 19, 2019
make I find small trouble

PSA to all the Canucks in the house:

Remember to take out the trash on Monday the 21st. Conservatives for the win 2019! cool

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 12:59am On Oct 19, 2019
Bawss1:

Remember to take out the trash on Monday the 21st. Conservatives for the win 2019! cool

I think most canucks want an actual Canadian in parliament hill.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 1:14am On Oct 19, 2019
egobetatoday:

U mean Costco is the place to buy cheap things?

Correct, but you have to get membership.
You can't buy there without membership.

4 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 2:57am On Oct 19, 2019
Melon wasn't grounded, ogbono was grounded. I cargoed both.

daicee:
Ok. Thanks...

Just to confirm, you didnt grind yours too? And was it by cargo?

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 3:05am On Oct 19, 2019
This one na Jamb question ooo. There is this vicks stuffs that you are actually supposed to buy and use with the humidifier. It has its own compactment in d humidifier. But I just feel it isn't effective enough. I prefer to put some aboniki in the middle of a cotton wool and insert in the compactment.

egobetatoday:

Can u tell us how u apply the balm with the humidifier? ...so we keep the info for when we need itgrin

14 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:44am On Oct 19, 2019
Bawss1:

Lol...PPC is going to take a huge bite off your bag.
Not a Liberal, BTW.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:02am On Oct 19, 2019
LANDING GIST (OVERDUE)

Not gonna bore you with too much stories, just gonna demystify some fable and probably what my experience was and how we could learn from it especially for those yet to land
My Ethiopia flight was scheduled for 1:40 pm and I was ready in my little way a day before. My wife had bought all that there is for us and our little kid. She really is a gem I must say cos she knows exactly what to buy and it really paid off even till now

(Notable mentions). Pls buy thick winter gear as much as u can afford. It cold here and I mean really cold. Those clothes are also expensive here no matter how discounted it is except u are given for free. Lastly buy moderately your naija delicacy that could sustain you for as long as you can have it. There are African stores here too at least I have seen one, though things are a bit expensive but you can go there once in a while to get stuffs.
Got to MMIA around 11:20, left home few minute past 9 with Uber taxi, I had already weighed and reweighed all my bags, thanks to my wife again and all was exact figure not even up to 23kg. Got the scale from Jumia #2500 or so. Pls do weigh ur stuff to avoid delay. Checking was smooth, just settled argic people #500 and none of my bags was opened, though I no get contraband o..lol just did to avoid time wasting. Immediately I was checked in and got boarding pass. Pls print your pass if u can, it saves time.

After, I went to snap picture with my relatives that came with me and off we go to custom abi na immigration them be and the check started, from opening my eye lid to removing my shoes, belt, wrist watch, rings, all pocket out and that of my people even my little girl was not left out till we boarded the large airbus.. very massive and at a point I thought to myself that will this stuff be able to fly at all considering the size but it did…lol
Air hostesses were very courteous and flight was smooth. Entertainment was just there as we watched repeated movies and my baby watched lots of cartoons. She no even sleep… lol, food was purging to me cos I was not used to that kinda rice and whatever the stuff was. Saw some guys brought in gala, how they achieved that feat I don’t know but I think it’s good…lol. Drank wine and slept a bit.

We landed at Addis Ababa and we saw long queue of people waiting to move in to the next connecting flight, we waited for about 4hrs and join the next flight to Toronto. Another big airbus but not as big as the first. It was done quickly and very smart, but at each point we were asked to keep removing our shoes, belt, wrist watch and even phones and laptops, that part annoyed me a lot cos I have to start removing the lace of my canvas, so
I will advise you travel in light and loose shoes.

Toronto leg was quit long and at a point I though the plane was not moving again cos it seems we are just on a spot…lol. Food and entertainment remain same but I could not eat again this time cos it already purged my ass out on the first leg. Eventually we landed at Dublin and plane was refuel, we did not move out of the plane and as soon as that was done we proceeded on the journey to Toronto and I could practically see the way we crossed International Date Line…God is indeed alive and awesome.

We landed in Toronto and we proceeded to immigration, you will see the line different from people living in Canada already who only left the country for few days or week, even the security will guide the line saying if you are PR, go this way… we got to the first desk and was asked few questions like why are you here, do u have foods in your luggage, goods to follow, do u have some items like milk, dairy, meat and the likes, I just said NO and YES where necessary and we proceeded to the immigration proper where I saw people queue up like its judgement day with a kinda stern serious look on everybody’s face. It got to our turn and a young, short and beautiful lady with neat tattoo came calling on me and my family, meanwhile before then we say a guy almost getting returned back to naija as I was praying in my mind not to get attend to by that woman attending to the guy cos she looks scary and asked too many questions that confused the guy at a point and he started saying rubbish.

We were attended to quickly with catchy smile and my daughter made the process a funny one as she all of a sudden engage the lady and she was like hello, my name is Michelle what is yours and the lady replied and there they started for a long while, while my baby recited some nursery rhymes for her and she did her own too, before we know she just asked the normal question like how much do I have with me, have I been convicted of any crime , blah blah blah and answered it herself and stamped us in and with a smile she said welcome to Canada and pls take good care of Michelle while my daughter bade here farewell , I felt so relieved and thanked God saying at last I made it…lol. We landed on a Saturday and we could not do our SIN and other services…we were told to do it in town on Tuesdays as Monday is a holiday (Thanksgiving Day). We went to clear our luggage and let me quickly clear this point that virtually all our bags were forcefully opened and tore at some place. pls avoid locking your bags immediately u check them in at MMIA, cos the have some stupid dog that sniff and once they notice that they will start tearing the bag but if it’s not locked they just open normally. So I lost 3 bags to this instance. I left that part dejected but we got a warm ride from the airport to Ontario as we were welcomed with so freezing cold outside the airport, that was when it dawned on me that I don reach Canada..Lol. My sister made us solid pounded yam with fo ririo and some fat ponmo with chicken and cold juice, at last I could eat beta food after two day flying in the air and we had our bath. My layover was for 12hours so I rested well in Ontario, later joined the flight to Regina and by then we were already used to the airline style. We were checked and double checked at YYZ. We landed in Regina to 12pm and we got Uber already waiting outside the airport, thanks to my sis in Ontario who made this happened and this time the cold don double in chilling chai I pity my palm and finger as they were numb from the cold impact, hardly could push tha cart, but the India driver helped me. Got to our Airbnb and had a sweet rest. It was actually very eventful and I thank God for making it a drama free landing. Thanks to all who have answered me each time I asked question especially sometimes when the question seems stupid but una still ansa. May God bless you all.

It’s been so nice here in Regina. Done SIN, got sim done, opened account and got bus pass and driving too, registered at open door and did some shopping… it’s been fun for my daughter who immediately understood that there is a kinda right for her and she has been exercising it in all ways especially In public place. I allow her to own the public while I own the private in necessary correction and if need be some spanking…lol. Canada sweet o. pls come in all if you can.. job hunting now and I pray I get one soon.
Shalom!!!!!

109 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Stencil: 5:06am On Oct 19, 2019
Michelle sounds adorable! I wish you all the best as you look for a job.
Enjoy your new home.
I can't wait to get there.
Folafikemi:
LANDING GIST (OVERDUE)

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ligxy(f): 6:25am On Oct 19, 2019
etrange:

Lol... Ok. I was thinking they'd be tested to know if they can bark in American accent. You know like "wau wau wau" grin
Lol, you're such a clown, see how I bursted out laughing, hubby just dey wonder wetin dey worry this wan this early morning... grin

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 10:07am On Oct 19, 2019
But seriously, how do they know that you can't do anything to them? Maybe there's a chemical in the air that triggers a part of their brains.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by diiiiipo: 11:40am On Oct 19, 2019
Please can any seniors already landed recommend a good Car Insurance company to use in Ontario. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bawss1(m): 12:00pm On Oct 19, 2019
bLacKGoLd3:

Lol...PPC is going to take a huge bite off your bag.
Not a Liberal, BTW.

I am actually in support of the PPC in some areas and would be more than pleased for them to take a 'bite off my bag' as you put it. Anything to stop the incumbents who appear to be more interested in virtue signaling, creating an atmosphere that is hostile to small business and entrepreneurship and their other policies that are divorced from economic and cultural realities in my opinion.

We'll see what happens comes Monday.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bawss1(m): 12:10pm On Oct 19, 2019
maternal:

The dual citizenship thingy of Scheer is a non-issue.

People will, or should be in my opinion, more concerned about things that have real-world effects, such as taxes, jobs etc.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Uglyaddy: 1:53pm On Oct 19, 2019
diiiiipo:
Please can any seniors already landed recommend a good Car Insurance company to use in Ontario. Thank you.

You can try out COSECO INSURANCE COMPANY.
Their office is in Mississauga.
Call them on 800 387 1963 to get a quote.
I dont work there,just happen to know about them.

4 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:42pm On Oct 19, 2019
Picked up yesterday. Must have arrived between Wednesday and Friday. Time to cast our votes, and I am still undecided on who to vote. I am more inclined towards Red (Lib) even though everyone I relate with at work or in our city is voting Blue (Con), which is not surprising - It's Saskatchewan.

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 40manlappy: 4:25pm On Oct 19, 2019
diiiiipo:

Try “Cooperators” and compare their quote with others.

3 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 4:59pm On Oct 19, 2019
maternal:

I don't know why he did not begin the process of renouncing his American citizenship immediately he became the leader of the Con back in May, 2017. Did he not think people/press will find out and blow it out of proportion? He started the process to renounce last August. I believe he still wants to keep his American citizenship and would likely cancel his application to renounce after the election. He is a rich kid, and has no problem paying taxes to the US on his Canadian earnings.

If Rona Ambrose did not retire from politics, and if she was the leader of the Con, maybe I would be more inclined towards the Con. At the moment, I just don't really see how Sheer would make a better leader than Trudeau. I might be wrong.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:54pm On Oct 19, 2019
lobell:
But seriously, how do they know that you can't do anything to them? Maybe there's a chemical in the air that triggers a part of their brains.

LOL. I guess the kinda people the see with a welcoming embrace and bright faces here and there.. Canadians can fake smile o... Lol
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TITILOLA88: 7:09pm On Oct 19, 2019
Hello, how do you get a membership?
TheCongo2:

Correct, but you have to get membership.
You can't buy there without membership.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mosbiod(m): 7:13pm On Oct 19, 2019
ChiefDaddy1:

So Insighful, thank you for the info.
Please what is ATS and no prior experience in the field yet apart from Internship

Please the course by course is still same thing like getting ECA done or it has a different process if am using WES? Thank you very much

ATS: Applicant Tracking System. A computer code that uses keywords to filter applicants before your application would even get to be seen by humans in the HR. You have to know how to get your CV to get past this stage before you can have a hope of getting interviews if not hundreds of application will keep leading to no single interview.

If you already have your ECA done with WES in the course of your PR process just go back to your account on WES website and upgrade your evaluation to a course by course. You will pay some fee but not as expensive as starting from scratch and you don’t need to send further documents unless WES specifically asked for it. But be sure of what your Engineering Body is requesting. APEGA for example requests course by course evaluations from WES.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TITILOLA88: 7:19pm On Oct 19, 2019
Hello, does anyone know how to preserve Maggi in the winter so that it doesn't turn as hard as stone? Any ideas anybody?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 8:34pm On Oct 19, 2019
Bawss1:

I am actually in support of the PPC in some areas and would be more than pleased for them to take a 'bite off my bag' as you put it. Anything to stop the incumbents who appear to be more interested in virtue signaling, creating an atmosphere that is hostile to small business and entrepreneurship and their other policies that are divorced from economic and cultural realities in my opinion.

We'll see what happens comes Monday.

Interesting! I somewhat agree with you, save for the fact that Bernier and his crowd are highly against the mass immigration which has given tons of my brothers/sisters a shot at a better life.

I'm keenly following this election.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:39pm On Oct 19, 2019
wizean:
This one na Jamb question ooo. There is this vicks stuffs that you are actually supposed to buy and use with the humidifier. It has its own compactment in d humidifier. But I just feel it isn't effective enough. I prefer to put some aboniki in the middle of a cotton wool and insert in the compactment.

This is a case of science pass science lol

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:44pm On Oct 19, 2019
lobell:

Yeah cos they usually start the new behavior right from the airport on arrival.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:45pm On Oct 19, 2019
diiiiipo:

PM. I don't have his permission to splash his contact here.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:47pm On Oct 19, 2019
Bawss1:

The dual citizenship thingy of Scheer is a non-issue.

People will, or should be in my opinion, more concerned about things that have real-world effects, such as taxes, jobs etc.

USA. Trump. Conservatives.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:48pm On Oct 19, 2019
salford1:
Picked up yesterday. Must have arrived between Wednesday and Friday. Time to cast our votes, and I am still undecided on who to vote. I am more inclined towards Red (Lib) even though everyone I relate with at work or in our city is voting Blue (Con), which is not surprising - It's Saskatchewan.

Reason why they take Alberta for granted. Sure conservative vote.

I don't envy those of you who can vote, cos all I'm seeing is devil or deep blue sea.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:58pm On Oct 19, 2019
TITILOLA88:
Hello, does anyone know how to preserve Maggi in the winter so that it doesn't turn as hard as stone? Any ideas anybody?

Let it turn as hard as it likes but put it on top of your pot cover some minutes before you're to use it and it will get soft again. By pot cover i mean the hot one covering the food you're cooking.

17 Likes 11 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:25pm On Oct 19, 2019
19CannyMum:

Reason why they take Alberta for granted. Sure conservative vote.

I don't envy those of you who can vote, cos all I'm seeing is devil or deep blue sea.
Devil or deep blue sea.lol.
I had to overlook some of Trudeau's scandals, but I still give him credit for creating lots of jobs. He tried gaan but also tainted his records with scandals. That's why it's not so easy for some like me to decide on who to vote for. This election would have been a slam dunk for the Cons if they had a likeable/popular candidate to lead them. There is a good chance of a minority government as it stands.

Conservatives have Alberta and Sask in their pocket just like APC dominates Lagos.

Just about an hour ago, the PPC were busy tearing the Cons apart in a press conference. This reminds me of how the NDP won the election in Alberta as a result of the Wildrose and PC having a go at each other; hence, splitting the Cons vote. They eventually merged to form the UPC to defeat Norley's NDP in the last election. I can't wait for the election to be over, so that everyone can move on.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChiefDaddy1: 9:27pm On Oct 19, 2019
mosbiod:

ATS: Applicant Tracking System. A computer code that uses keywords to filter applicants before your application would even get to be seen by humans in the HR. You have to know how to get your CV to get past this stage before you can have a hope of getting interviews if not hundreds of application will keep leading to no single interview.

If you already have your ECA done with WES in the course of your PR process just go back to your account on WES website and upgrade your evaluation to a course by course. You will pay some fee but not as expensive as starting from scratch and you don’t need to send further documents unless WES specifically asked for it. But be sure of what your Engineering Body is requesting. APEGA for example requests course by course evaluations from WES.

Thanks for the info

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChiefDaddy1: 9:28pm On Oct 19, 2019
safex:

@bolded Applicant Tracking System - a software that helps sort and select resumes based on set criteria

Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (224) (225) (226) (227) (228) (229) (230) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.