Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,836 members, 7,806,355 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 03:15 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (234) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2180774 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Torkwase1(f): 10:33am On Oct 25, 2019
Knock Knock!! Hello guys, permission to join the house. I will be taking off for Toronto this evening from Abuja.
It's so good to finally join this group, after peeking in at the window for over one year.
I waited so long for this day, now it's here and the dream is taking shape, finally.
Landing gist loading ��

72 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 11:53am On Oct 25, 2019
Laradee:

Congratulations, please for people in alberta, was the frsc extract letter useful to you? I heard it's not of any use in alberta don't know how true that is.

Hasn't been useful to me so far.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SuperPam: 12:11pm On Oct 25, 2019
Hello house,

Please I'm new here. I have a an NCE, B A, M.A and phD, should I verify all for WES or only my M.A and phD as my last 2 degrees?

I will appreciate answers and guidance. Thank You
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bekayy: 12:23pm On Oct 25, 2019
Yay...Congrats again. What flight r u using?

Torkwase1:
Knock Knock!! Hello guys, permission to join the house. I will be taking off for Toronto this evening from Abuja.
It's so good to finally join this group, after peeking in at the window for over one year.
I waited so long for this day, now it's here and the dream is taking shape, finally.
Landing gist loading ��
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 1:41pm On Oct 25, 2019
diiiiipo:
Please can any seniors already landed recommend a good Car Insurance company to use in Ontario. Thank you.
until the day you forget.... is it 4 Is or 3 Is?? grin grin grin grin grin grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 2:05pm On Oct 25, 2019
salford1:

I edited my original post. It was actually a shock to me as I never witnessed such in the German company I worked for in naija and the companies I worked for in the UK. I always thought nepotism was a Nigerian thing till I got to North America.

They might have not been the best interviewed or most qualified candidates for the job, but once they have the minimal qualifications, they are in. I do not blame them sha. These jobs are well paying. I would do same too if I were in their shoes aslong as it is legal.

The ones I've met don't even meet the minimum qualifications sometimes. I'm glad you said you'd do the same as long as it's legal. Claiming refugee in Canada and getting your story heard is not a crime. Even if you're suspected of making up the story. The hypocrisy towards these people is comical. What's even more funny, is that these perfect saints in Canada bashing these refugees, they act like since arriving in Canada they've never gave a friend a resume, and said "bros, abeg help me hand my resume to your hiring manager. Make sure you give a good word about me". Isn't that gaming the system ? Either way the subject tire me.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 2:13pm On Oct 25, 2019
Kaycee54321:

True talk. Most people enjoying the finer things of Life sit on their fat asses and judge other people who are fed crap everyday just to survive.

This is the same excuse that kidnappers, robbers, yahoo boys give for their actions.

I guess your justification for this will cover them too? Let’s not be hypocrites o.

There’s black and white, then there’s grey. I’m not a saint of course, but I will not publicly say grey is black or white because it’s convenient. It’s the Nigerian narrative, and it has gone on for long enough.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 2:52pm On Oct 25, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 2:53pm On Oct 25, 2019
Honestly, it wasn't useful cos they will still perform their own investigation
Laradee:

Congratulations, please for people in alberta, was the frsc extract letter useful to you? I heard it's not of any use in alberta don't know how true that is.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:56pm On Oct 25, 2019
Influential101:
The result of the election is already taking its toll on Alberta per the budget released yesterday...

Going by the link below, do you think the increase in taxes and the benefits removed will have a huge impact on personal finances? Is it enough to make one/family consider other provinces to land? @Salford1 and the rest

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/alberta-budget-2019-affect-finances-1.5334400

The next four years is going to be tough for Albertans. While the cuts are necessary, I do not believe it's an effective way to a balanced budget. This budget presented is just a tax increment by cuts/proxies and passing on the buck to the municipal government who would in turn cut services and pass on the costs to residents. In my opinion, a PST and a few spending restrictions would have resolved some of the mess, but Albertans don't want a PST despite being the highest paying province and lowest taxing province in Canada.

The UCP are trying to balance the budget off the back of cuts, infrastructure development, students, low to middle income earners, management and union workers (teachers, nurses, AUPE members etc) in government establishments, while reducing corporate taxes - trickle down economics or corporate welfare. It's ironic that despite the cut to corporate tax, Husky Energy declared profit, laid of hundreds of employees and are going to be investing more in Saskatchewan, a province with a higher corporate tax. The huge companies just get richer by banking the money. The Alberta recession has made a lot of companies realised they could do more with little and automation.

In my opinion, it would have a big impact on personal finance. Utility bills, insurance, school busing, municipal taxes, tuition, job loss etc. A federal imposed carbon tax is also coming. You should read the comment section in that link. You would have a feel of what is to come.

8 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 2:58pm On Oct 25, 2019
Congratulations! Thanks for the tip! Ours is for Dec 18, still checking for an earlier date. Was yours advanced or basic? Where they two instructors with you in the car? Did you use your personal car or was it a car hire? Can you recommend a coach for brushing and route understanding? cheesy
Thanks again
ugoguchy:
Finally passed my Class 5 road test today,i was so fustrated after two failures,been that to get a date in alberta could take a month or more,i had to stay awake at mid night and kept on refreshing to see if any one would cancel,luckily i got a date just after i took the 2nd on Monday,i stay in the Calgary SE and two of the road test was in the NE and one in the SW,so you can imagine the distance one has to go
For those preparing to take their road test,get an instructor to brush up,shoulder check anytime you are making a turn,look out for speed limits,school zones,stop signs,yield sign,pedestrians very important,i failed my the 2nd time because I didn’t slow down in an uncontrolled intersection(automatic Failure),had only 20 deductions from not shoulder checking twice while making a right turn
I can finally say i have settled in

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 3:02pm On Oct 25, 2019
grin grin that's another thing. My friends have been receiving mails; overspeeding tickets especially on these two roads. It's not easy when a road is smooth and free from bumps and traffic.
salford1:

Congrats. Now that you have your license, take it easy on Deerfoot and Stoney cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:05pm On Oct 25, 2019
Claire18:
grin grin that's another thing. My friends have been receiving mails; overspeeding tickets especially on these two roads. It's not easy when a road is smooth and free from bumps and traffic.
There used to be lots of cops hiding behind pillars of overhead bridges on Stoney. I wonder if they still do that. cheesy.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 3:09pm On Oct 25, 2019
Safe trip!!!
I hope you are not bringing kilishi o!
It's a no no!
Torkwase1:
Landing gist loading ��
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Claire18: 3:10pm On Oct 25, 2019
They still do. Watch out for the Black Ford Explorar grin
Some folks have their google map beep when they are approaching a camera traffic spot, so they adjust.
salford1:

There used to be lots of cops hiding behind pillars of overhead bridges on Stoney. I wonder if they still do that. cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:15pm On Oct 25, 2019
Claire18:
They still do. Watch out for the Black Ford Explorar grin
Some folks have their google map beep when they are approaching a camera traffic spot, so they adjust.

It's kind of easy to to know when cops are around. Drivers ahead of you will suddenly start slamming on the brakes when they spot cameras or cops. grin

Tickets in the mail are still okay, but the ones handed out by cops are not. They go on record - demerits. Alot of technical jobs would ask for driver's abstract and that is where it comes back to hunt some people.

Google can be inneffective at times, because the city would often move the cameras around. Some cops also hide behind street light post or signboards with their laser guns.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by safex(m): 4:12pm On Oct 25, 2019
Wow! Congrats bro. We will join you soon
Torkwase1:
Landing gist loading ��

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 4:13pm On Oct 25, 2019
salford1:

It's kind of easy to to know when cops are around. Drivers ahead of you will suddenly start slamming on the brakes when they spot cameras or cops. grin

Tickets in the mail are still okay, but the ones handed out by cops are not. They go on record - demerits. Alot of technical jobs would ask for driver's abstract and that is where it comes back to hunt some people.

Google can be inneffective at times, because the city would often move the cameras around. Some cops also hide behind street light post or signboards with their laser guns.

Re : cops hiding . Those guys are experts in the art of being invisible cheesy While driving I've seen them parked in the most obscure locations that by time you see them its far too late to slow down if you were speeding . I also shared a while back how in Ontario and some other provinces they hide in yellow school buses looking for unsuspecting drivers distracted behind the wheel

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 4:54pm On Oct 25, 2019
canadaman18:

Re : cops hiding . Those guys are experts in the art of being invisible cheesy While driving I've seen them parked in the most obscure locations that by time you see them its far too late to slow down if you were speeding . I also shared a while back how in Ontario and some other provinces they hide in yellow school buses looking for unsuspecting drivers distracted behind the wheel
Seems they sometimes give them end of the month targets. To hit your targets, you have to be innovative or creative with the way you do your job grin

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kaycee54321(m): 5:06pm On Oct 25, 2019
CanadianNaija:

This is the same excuse that kidnappers, robbers, yahoo boys give for their actions.

I guess your justification for this will cover them too? Let’s not be hypocrites o.

There’s black and white, then there’s grey. I’m not a saint of course, but I will not publicly say grey is black or white because it’s convenient. It’s the Nigerian narrative, and it has gone on for long enough.

Of course. Black is Black and White is White...but I won't judge those on the 'black' side simply because I'm privileged to be on the 'white' side. I'm not justifying evil in any way but I'm also not the one to judge the action of others except I happen to take a career in Law.

No child ever says 'I want to be a Kidnapper when I grow.' We all had good and lofty dreams but then Life happens and people just stumble into paths they never dreamt to be in.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 5:46pm On Oct 25, 2019
The question we should be asking really is how did someone like "maternal" get into Canada...

Very uncultured individual...

23 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Torkwase1(f): 5:55pm On Oct 25, 2019
bekayy:
Yay...Congrats again. What flight r u using?

I'm flying Emirates. There's a one day layover in Dubai, will arrive Sunday morning

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 1:25am On Oct 26, 2019
I heard that another Nigerian-Canadian was stabbed in Calgary today. May God grant her family the fortitude to bear the loss.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 1:27am On Oct 26, 2019
Kaycee54321:

Of course. Black is Black and White is White...but I won't judge those on the 'black' side simply because I'm privileged to be on the 'white' side. I'm not justifying evil in any way but I'm also not the one to judge the action of others except I happen to take a career in Law.

No child ever says 'I want to be a Kidnapper when I grow.' We all had good and lofty dreams but then Life happens and people just stumble into paths they never dreamt to be in.

Ok. According to you, somethings are justifiable as long as it’s done in line with self preservation.

I hope you don’t criticize the current state of our country of origin sha? Yahoo boys, politicians, kidnappers, corrupt officials, etc...from their perspective all na self preservation.

I’m a sinner o, but I will not come out in public and justify sin because I know that a sin is a sin. We are all adults that know right from wrong, let’s not pretend that we don’t.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 1:28am On Oct 26, 2019
salford1:
I heard that another Nigerian-Canadian was stabbed in Calgary today. May God grant her family the fortitude to bear the loss.

Wow...I thought calgary was a safe place. This is just sad.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 1:48am On Oct 26, 2019
CanadianNaija:

It is generally safe, but there are always pockets of violence in every big city.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 2:03am On Oct 26, 2019
salford1:

It is generally safe, but there are always pockets of violence in every big city.

It’s well.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:19am On Oct 26, 2019
salford1:

Some cops also hide behind street light post or signboards with their laser guns.

Saw a cop pointing radar at me a couple of days back in a 30 zone. Village people, their fada. They can't get me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:22am On Oct 26, 2019
CanadianNaija:

She was a case worker at a mental health assistance home. Killed while on duty. May she rest in peace.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/victim-of-fatal-stabbing-was-a-caseworker-at-assisted-living-residence-police-1.4655077?cache=yes%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D89750%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D89750%3Fot%3DAjaxLayout%3FclipId%3D263414%3FclipId%3D89563%3FclipId%3D89531

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:22am On Oct 26, 2019
19CannyMum:

Saw a cop pointing radar at me a couple of days back in a 30 zone. Village people, their fada. They can't get me.
Like catch me if you can grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:27am On Oct 26, 2019
grin grin grin
salford1:

Like catch me if you can grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 4:21am On Oct 26, 2019
19CannyMum:

She was a case worker at a mental health assistance home. Killed while on duty. May she rest in peace.

https://calgary.ctvnews.ca/mobile/victim-of-fatal-stabbing-was-a-caseworker-at-assisted-living-residence-police-1.4655077?cache=yes%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D89750%3FautoPlay%3Dtrue%3FclipId%3D89750%3Fot%3DAjaxLayout%3FclipId%3D263414%3FclipId%3D89563%3FclipId%3D89531

Really sad. Hopefully the family can bear the loss.

(1) (2) (3) ... (231) (232) (233) (234) (235) (236) (237) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Feignlies(f), chinchum(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.