Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,396 members, 7,808,424 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:45 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (241) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182216 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by heggegg: 10:19pm On Nov 09, 2019
yesso. I have contacted them but the price no be here. shocked shocked shocked
DatechMan:

Which St. George? The one that runs across UofT? My brother that area no go easy o. I would advise you get in touch with an estate agent that has listings in the area. Talk with big realtor companies, they can connect you with property management in the area. But e no go easy o
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rinzeye: 12:30am On Nov 10, 2019
Seniors in the health field pls I need your advice, I'm very confused on what to do. I got my copr last month. I was sponsored by my brother as a dependent child. I graduated as a medical Laboratory scientist last month from a school here in Nigeria. As a medical laboratory science graduate, you have to go for 1 year internship. My question is that should I just to do a soft landing and then come back to do my internship and then travel back or is it possible for me to do my internship in Canada so as to qualify to do the certification exam.
Thanks as you reply[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by juicebox: 9:35am On Nov 10, 2019
Blackbuddy:

Hi, some phone products are meant for certain markets only and won't work outside that particular market eg Africa, Asia or Middle East. This applies to both Apple and Android products, some folks were not able to use their old phones in Canada and had to buy here.
One work-around you can try is to get a SIM from another carrier and maybe that might be compatible with your current phone. If this doesn't work then you'd have to consider getting a phone here. All the best.

Thanks. But I did my soft landing earlier in the year, and I got a Chatr sim which worked on the same iphone, only to return to Canada and both the Chatr sim and the new Rogers sim that I got seems not to be compatible with the iPhone, which is strange cos I had used a Canadian sim on the same phone earlier in the year.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by juicebox: 9:39am On Nov 10, 2019
bLacKGoLd3:

That device seems to be locked by the network carrier that sold the iPhone.

Did you buy that iPhone brand new? Are you using a chip with the sim? When you say "unlocked", do you mean you have an activation code from say, Tmobile or AT&T?

I bought is brand new from Nigeria. By unlocked I mean it’s not locked to any carrier because I had used a chatr sim on the same phone when I came to Canada earlier in the year for soft landing.

However, I paid for a 3rd party service to find out if the iphone was locked then I was told my phone is locked to US reseller Flex Policy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 9:42am On Nov 10, 2019
juicebox:

Thanks. But I did my soft landing earlier in the year, and I got a Chatr sim which worked on the same iphone, only to return to Canada and both the Chatr sim and the new Rogers sim that I got seems not to be compatible with the iPhone, which is strange cos I had used a Canadian sim on the same phone earlier in the year.

Sir,

Sorry I eavesdropped, I heard you say you landed earlier this year. Please, did you stay till you got your card? If not, how did you return to Canada? Did you get a PRTD did someone help you bring it to Nigeria or did you use a courier service?

I can't stay till PR comes and I need to know my options.

Warm Regards.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mimi1999: 3:22pm On Nov 10, 2019
Good day.
Please has anyone here used Qatar or Emirates to travel to Calgary before? How was it? Are there restrictions with regards food items that can be carried on and checked in different from others?
I got a very good deal and thought to let ET and Lufthansa rest for a bit.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:06pm On Nov 10, 2019
etrange:

Sir,

Sorry I eavesdropped, I heard you say you landed earlier this year. Please, did you stay till you got your card? If not, how did you return to Canada? Did you get a PRTD did someone help you bring it to Nigeria or did you use a courier service?

Warm Regards.

I also will like to read answers to this question as I'm in same situation now. Pls brothers and sister answer this question as I'm tired of waiting for the PR card and my mind and soul is not in Nigeria at all. I just see myself wasting precious time. Edakun help pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Perra: 4:30pm On Nov 10, 2019
I've done all I can for express entry but my score is still too damn low. I'm drained out . my own Canadian dream is dying before my eyes. Its well.

How does one get a job offer from home? Is it possible? Anyone done it before ? ..any help?? ... Teaching job, anything?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by btrocky09(m): 4:46pm On Nov 10, 2019
juicebox:

I bought is brand new from Nigeria. By unlocked I mean it’s not locked to any carrier because I had used a chatr sim on the same phone when I came to Canada earlier in the year for soft landing.

However, I paid for a 3rd party service to find out if the iphone was locked then I was told my phone is locked to US reseller Flex Policy
that means the phone isn't unlocked. Btw did you wipe it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:06pm On Nov 10, 2019
Perra:
I've done all I can for express entry but my score is still too damn low. I'm drained out . my own Canadian dream is dying before my eyes. Its well.

How does one get a job offer from home? Is it possible? Anyone done it before ? ..any help?? ... Teaching job, anything?
some with pr are still hustling for jobs. Its hard for employers to consider someone from nigeria unless you have a special skill.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 7:28pm On Nov 10, 2019
Perra:

Hi, Canada has 10 provinces and 3 territories. Between them, there are over 20 Provincial nomination programs you can key into to move you closer to PR. Don't be fixated only on Federal ITA, PNP has been the savior for many like you to immigrate as Skilled workers. So research the various provinces and nomination programs that don't require a job offer and channel your energy in that direction. Find the one(s) you can meet their requirements and focus on those. There will be light at the end of the tunnel, all the best.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/provincial-nominees/eligibility.html

28 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:57pm On Nov 10, 2019
Toronto peeps please follow me on instagram at @diketron. I will follow back.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 8:30pm On Nov 10, 2019
Rinzeye:
Seniors in the health field pls I need your advice, I'm very confused on what to do. I got my copr last month. I was sponsored by my brother as a dependent child. I graduated as a medical Laboratory scientist last month from a school here in Nigeria. As a medical laboratory science graduate, you have to go for 1 year internship. My question is that should I just to do a soft landing and then come back to do my internship and then travel back or is it possible for me to do my internship in Canada so as to qualify to do the certification exam.
Thanks as you reply[color=#990000][/color]

I don't have your answers but I'm a little curious about how your brother was able to do this?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 10:14pm On Nov 10, 2019
Perra:

Have you tried learning French?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rinzeye: 10:43pm On Nov 10, 2019
jjohndoe83:

I don't have your answers but I'm a little curious about how your brother was able to do this?

There's a family sponsorship program whereby a permanent resident or a citizen can sponsor his parents and grandparents and such person has to sponsor the dependent children i.e children under 21 years

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:00pm On Nov 10, 2019
juicebox:

As I guessed, that iPhone is locked to a US carrier. It is not much different from using a blacklisted device/iPhone. In Nigeria and lots of countries, your device will work on local networks, but in North America, forget it!

So, here's what I think happened with your device;

Whoever sold that device to you bought it from the US, and though you may be able to buy an unlocked iPhone from the US, they are technically all locked to a US carrier the minute you pop in a US sim card. Now, because Canada and the US have an existing policy on information sharing across their network carriers (particularly for devices to enable a global IMEI blacklist), you may have been able to use that iPhone on Chatr when you arrived, but as soon as Rogers (Chatr is owned by Rogers) shares device information with the likes of Tmobile or AT&T in the US, your IMEI must have been flagged as a device that belongs to their network. You return, but these guys want nothing to do with your device anymore - it has been blacklisted (the same way you can't keep dating a girl after you find out she's your guys' girl grin).

What should you do? Call Apple and find out what carrier your device is locked to and harass the life of that network carrier on social media (I recommend Twitter for this exercise) till they let you go. I advised social media because, if you stick to just phone calls, they will keep tossing you around.

Cheers mate!

20 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by swaga007: 12:39am On Nov 11, 2019
my good people , I am considering to register for food safety management training which is going to cost me 400 cad . Pls has anyone involved in this certification in the past and what's the benefit of the program for job prospects in canada food industry.

Has anyone secure a job via the training ?

I need your advice sir/ma.

@salford.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Stencil: 3:34am On Nov 11, 2019
You hit the nail on the head. This is a pretty common occurrence unfortunately.
People buy phones (most times with a payment plan) in the US and send it to Nigeria to sell as they don't operate on the same frequency.
Unfortunately for the OP, Canada and the US do. So an iPhone blacklisted in the US wouldn't/shouldn't work in Canada.

@Juicebox enter your IMEI number on Swappa or IMEIpro to see if it is indeed blacklisted.
If it is, you could just sell it to someone in Nigeria, then use the money to get another in Canada.
How to find your IMEI. Or just type *#06# on your keypad, it should show up.

@bLackGold3, nagging them on social media might not be the best idea. They won't budge. The iPhone is blacklisted probably because of non-payment. OP could try though.

bLacKGoLd3:
What should you do? Call Apple and find out what carrier your device is locked to and harass the life of that network carrier on social media (I recommend Twitter for this exercise) till they let you go. I advised social media because, if you stick to just phone calls, they will keep tossing you around.

11 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:37am On Nov 11, 2019
swaga007:
my good people , I am considering to register for food safety management training which is going to cost me 400 cad . Pls has anyone involved in this certification in the past and what's the benefit of the program for job prospects in canada food industry.

@salford.
I do not know about food industry in Canada, but a good place to start would be job vacancies e.g. indeed CA.
Check out the type of jobs you desire, then check the requirements for such jobs.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dtarmon(m): 3:39am On Nov 11, 2019
Stencil:
You hit the nail on the head. This is a pretty common occurrence unfortunately.
People buy phones (most times with a payment plan) in the US and send it to Nigeria to sell as they don't operate on the same frequency.
Unfortunately for the OP, Canada and the US do. So an iPhone blacklisted in the US wouldn't/shouldn't work in Canada.

@Juicebox enter your IMEI number on Swappa or IMEIpro to see if it is indeed blacklisted.
If it is, you could just sell it to someone in Nigeria, then use the money to get another in Canada.
How to find your IMEI. Or just type *#06# on your keypad, it should show up.

@bLackGold3, nagging them on social media might not be the best idea. They won't budge. The iPhone is blacklisted probably because of non-payment. OP could try though.

Just to add

This is the correct blacklist check for Canada

https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/

You can run your IMEI checks before bringing your phones to Canada. grin

26 Likes 28 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Stencil: 4:29am On Nov 11, 2019
"The Canadian blacklist respects the blacklisted IMEIs in the US blacklist. It may take time to migrate the data. Rest assured if a device does not work in the US, it will not work in Canada"

Both links should work. wink

Dtarmon:

Just to add
This is the correct blacklist check for Canada
https://www.devicecheck.ca/check-status-device-canada/
You can run your IMEI checks before bringing your phones to Canada. grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 5:13am On Nov 11, 2019
juicebox:

I bought is brand new from Nigeria By unlocked I mean it’s not locked to any carrier because I had used a chatr sim on the same phone when I came to Canada earlier in the year for soft landing.

The seller has some explaining to do because they basically packaged and sold a used phone as new to you.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by magd: 6:47am On Nov 11, 2019
Why don't you check if your occupation is in demand for any province and go through pnp
Perra:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 7:24am On Nov 11, 2019
swaga007:

@salford.

My certificates are in a file somewhere. I don't think I'll ever use them. I just don't want to sha call them useless because I can't tell the future.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by profeddor15: 7:54am On Nov 11, 2019
Blessed morning to the elders in the house.
Please, can someone used any of these accounts salary account, current account and savings account for the proof of funds?.
Thanks for your kind response
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fyorgyn: 9:05am On Nov 11, 2019
etrange:

Sir,

Warm Regards.

Hello etrange,

We soft-landed and did not wait for our PR cards. It went to our friend's address, they waited till they found someone coming to Nigeria and sent it through him.

Someone I know got hers couriered down to Nigeria without any issues.

I personally do not know anyone who has applied for a PRTD but when I was in your shoes (wondering about my options), I did check here on NL and saw that one or two NLers had successfully applied for it

See posts by armstead here and jydexaus here

11 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by swaga007: 9:36am On Nov 11, 2019
Thank you sir
salford1:

I do not know about food industry in Canada, but a good place to start would be job vacancies e.g. indeed CA.
Check out the type of jobs you desire, then check the requirements for such jobs.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by swaga007: 9:38am On Nov 11, 2019
I appreciated cannymum
19CannyMum:

My certificates are in a file somewhere. I don't think I'll ever use them. I just don't want to sha call them useless because I can't tell the future.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by epdcan: 9:54am On Nov 11, 2019
@Etrange, I also eavesdropped.
Pr cards take an average of 12-16days now.
How long are you planning to stay?
I think you should risk it.
Cheers
etrange:

Sir,

Warm Regards.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 10:00am On Nov 11, 2019
epdcan:
@Etrange, I also eavesdropped.
Pr cards take an average of 12-16days now.
How long are you planning to stay?
I think you should risk it.
Cheers

Hello,

Thanks for eavesdropping. Lol

I'd want to stay if I could but that would be against all odds. I'm yet to resign so I can only afford my December break which is just about a week long. Besides, I'll be staying in an Airbnb as I got no one in Canada so I've got the expenses to consider too.

Thanks!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 10:08am On Nov 11, 2019
Fyorgyn:

Hello etrange,

We soft-landed and did not wait for our PR cards. It went to our friend's address, they waited till they found someone coming to Nigeria and sent it through him.

I personally do not know anyone who has applied for a PRTD but when I was in your shoes (wondering about my options), I did check here on NL and saw that one or two NLers had successfully applied for it

Thanks a million times.

I've never had any problems with courier services in the past, I don't know why I'm suddenly paranoid as regards this.

This was very helpful. My options are clearer now.

Thanks again.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:33pm On Nov 11, 2019
Fyorgyn:

Hello etrange,

Thanks for this bro. How long did you waited to get it sent to u?

(1) (2) (3) ... (238) (239) (240) (241) (242) (243) (244) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.