Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,902 members, 7,802,921 topics. Date: Saturday, 20 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (253) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2178329 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 3:44pm On Nov 22, 2019
bily:

We are not saying all schools are like that... We are taking in terms of the average reality of what is on ground.

If you are talking of the best of the best school in Nigeria, those schools are patterned to replicate what you have in developed countries, so what's the extra they want to teach your children

Let's say the truth, we want to send our children to school in Nigeria not because of the quality of education when compared to Canada, but to instill values and make them 'street smart'

I went to a military boarding school and I had the same sentiments to send my kids to boarding school.
Till I did some deep thinking and realised it wasn't really the school that made me turn out this way, but the values instilled on a subconscious level by my parents.

The funny thing is now my parents are not really strict with their grand children nowadays. Things they will never let slide with us when growing up, they now overlook with the grandchildren. This also, you have to take into consideration especially when you will be in Canada while the kids are schooling in Nigeria.

Honestly sending your kids to a Catholic school in Canada if possible, may be far better than sending your kids to school in Nigeria.

I agree with you on a lot you said but I would like to point out that catholic schools in Canada is not what we know catholic schools to be though. I attended a catholic school at some point in Naija, and have had interactions with a friend who attended one here in Canada. Catholic schools here are similar to attending a very liberal posh private school in naija. Inshort what we call liberalism in Naija, is conservatism here. Then another thing is, most people who jump on the catholic school train do it with the hope that they wouldn't have pro LGBTQ type of classes/clubs. This is often not the case, as catholic schools have their hands tied since they are public funded and have to be seen following the govt's bidding.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Collintos: 3:45pm On Nov 22, 2019
By Jimmy

It may not be self-evident there is a lot of articles but only few can help foreign seekers to make informed decisions. Most people are giving incomplete information, bits and pieces. It’s of no tangible help. It’s like leading the reader into the jungle of unreliable information (lot of bushes), who is then hopelessly confused and lost. Of course, someone can’t rely upon an amateur on a particular subject matter to supply a professional recommendation.

Hold up! Please do not hastily sell or dispose your mansion, land, machinery, equipment, tools, sentimental items and other assets. Do not relinquish your secured, decent job (even though it may be less than perfect- there is no absolutely perfect job!), cherished long term friendships and other relationships. Before doing that, please ensure you read this piece of writing along with the other pieces. It’s totally free life-saving gems of info.

Now, I’ll give only three (3) salient reasons that are more than enough to convince someone not even to contemplate moving to Canada, unless these don’t matter to you:

(1) Lack of decent paying jobs: If one should decide on only one reason, this is it! How would one survive on low income to pay ever increasing rent or high mortgage (expensive house/condo price), along with other subsistence expenses. Cost of living is rapidly going up and up and up. No wonder there is a high number of Canadians with mountains of debts.

“Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians…”

Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians brace for a reckoning - BNN Bloomberg

Even a low paying job is a huge challenge to get, much less a high paying one. Oh no, please don’t take on a factory job. Factory labor jobs are the worst of the worst. It’s literal slavery! At one time, I decided to experiment with a side/part time factory labor job as a way to supplement my income. Big mistake! No sooner had I worked only 3 hours than I had to walk off that job! I didn’t even bother to uplift my income payment for the 3 hours of work. So, I generously gave free labor.

Even for the low income jobs one has to pass additional tests like “online aptitude, personality and skills”; basic knowledge on English and Mathematics; computer literacy; job-specific and other tests, depending on the requirements and whether one is hired directly by employer or by an employment agency (which usually required vigorous testing and is unreasonably complicated). There seems to be more employment agencies than employers! - That’s a hyperbole.

So, in order to secure a job, one has to pass a combination of these tests, apart from the job interview. The majority of job candidates share the view that online tests are garbage and an absolute waste of precious time! Many highly qualified candidates are ruled out because of these so-called screening tests!

“Most Canadians are unhappy with their salaries, survey finds”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business...

(2) Sky high expensive accommodation: The huge influx of immigrants bought up the available housing units, thereby creating a chronic shortage in housing. Hurray! For housing developers! These are very happy people. Also investors are buying up the houses and condos, so that they can benefit from the ongoing increase in prices.

The quality of many apartment buildings is shameful. These so-called residential dwellings are plagued with roaches, mice, bedbugs, unhygienic, congestion, little or no ventilation, lack of proper heating for the cold weather, lack of air conditioning for the summer hot humid temperatures and for pumping air through the living unit, lack of sound proof structure (so the sounds of neighbors and door slams wouldn’t wake one up- sleep is vitally important!). Wouldn’t one wonder if this is indeed a developed nation?

Landlords kept raising the rent often and wouldn’t take heed to your complaints. They usually demand their “fat rent” at the beginning of the month, or else failure of paying will see one being kicked out in about 30 days. This is an acid test of true Canadian hospitality, generosity and kindness! This country is run on pure greed! Spaces are limited /congested in apartment buildings and old houses. Even some new houses and condos, the developers are stingy in giving adequate spaces! This mean-spirited attitude is ingrained in Canadian culture.

“Renters in Canada face a number of hurdles. Finding a place, for one, is often a struggle in itself.”

There’s a lifestyle penalty for renting in Canada — it doesn’t have to be so

(3) Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically! However, there are exceptions, for example, Montreal is better than Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto, in this context. Canadian culture is boring to death. It’s an oppressive and depressing country! Too many rules to keep the population in psychological slavery. Canadians are living in fear.

It’s a mediocre society. It’s cold-hearted. There’s no zest. No liveliness. It lacks inspiration. It’s demotivating. It kills one’s dream/ambition. It’s a country of complications and contradictions. One has to live here to experience it. As the saying goes, “Who feels it, knows it.”

Culture is a very important concept that peeps have to learn but sadly overlook, particularly when migrating to a new country. It’s like neck to neck with the economic factor. It’s a very powerful force, like a monster with good and bad features. Even with loads of money, would one be happy living in a cold, grossly boring culture like this one?

Unfortunately, for the Canadian culture, I can hardly think of any pros, and even if there are, they will be outweighed by the cons. Cons include, antisocial, unfriendly (do not talk with strangers), rude, unkind, stingy, uncaring, unloving, unhelpful, unforgiving, unmerciful, intolerant, racial, discriminatory, backstabbing, pretentious, selfish, narcissistic, proud, snobbish, rip-off, materialistic, etc. Huff! What a boring, depressing list. It’s a highly toxic and contagious culture!

A few pros that stand out are welcoming new immigrants into “slavery” to work in extremely hard low paying jobs; silence, where peeps do not talk much with each other, everywhere is full of it, from coast to coast; polite when it has to be selling, customer service or public service. However, even the so-called politeness of Canadian culture is fake. If someone can’t hold a friendly conversation with another, then that is proof that the politeness is not really “polite” at all in the first place. It doesn’t come genuinely from the heart. Even some foreigners are now realizing that Canadian smiles are fake! It’s like “fake it until you make it” kind of thing.

Sometimes one has to run or fly in order to win, if one can’t beat a monster! Like many other born Canadians who settled in other countries, I also have been living outside of Canada. Of course, I’m so ecstatic that I’ve made one of the most vital life-changing decisions ever!

There are a lot of other deficiencies, some of which can be found on my Quora profile. However, if lack of decent paying jobs, chronic shortage of housing, which is super expensive (renting and buying) along with the fact that Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically, there is no incentive to live in Canada at all. Period! Full stop!

Well, if you still can’t accept or believe this piece of information, I challenge any foreigner to live in the largest city by population in Canada, Toronto, which is widely said to be culturally diverse and which is supposed to be a “most developed” city, according to United Nations reports and other similar reports, or alternatively any other English Canadian city, for only six (6) months or as long as you please, before bringing your entire family!

Beware! You have been warned! Ignore this info at your own risk!

Jimmy

Post Script:

Some possible reasons for foreigners habitually and continuously thinking that Canada is a perfect country:

Perhaps because of pride, shame and other reasons, immigrants do not tell their relatives, friends and associates in their original country, "I’m failing in Canada! I need help!" …Human nature.
Because the freedom of the Canadian news media is highly regulated and suppressed, “certain information” on Canadian society and life would seldom make world headline news…Oppressive, secretive society.
The internet is replete with sarcastic lists of reasons like, “12 reasons NOT to go to Canada,” on websites which are actually promoting Canada for tourism and other reasons. Also, this is a way of promoting that Canadians do have a sense of humor by being sarcastic, but living in Canada will easily prove otherwise. Nice try! Don’t fall for it. Of course, Canadian nature is most definitely beautiful. There are literally a great number of sites and immigration consultants advertising reasons to visit, to study in and to live in Canada…Half-truths peddlers for commercial benefits.
Employers who want cheap labor.
Getting carried away by sugar-coated, politically correct articles and comments on the internet. They get foreigners confused as to what is true and what's not…People with their “own agenda.”
Humans can be logically confusing creatures, with everyone sharing various viewpoints on a particular topic but not everyone would score a “10” on a scale of 1-10, with also only a small percentage who tells the full truth.

Whose information do you prefer to trust? –

A) A professional who studied social science for many years, studied human behavior, lived in the country, presenting logical info for whatever topic is in focus, or

B) Residents/non-residents/immigration consultants who in most cases nonchalantly wrote up things as they came to their mind?

Oh Mehn this guy is too raw. easy bro shocked shocked shocked

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Yemsot: 4:09pm On Nov 22, 2019
Having read postes about whether to bring up children un Canada or not, here's my take:
First thé moral upbringing of Evert child ils thé duty of thé parents ans not that of thé Scholl or any other person. Thé morals we have are as a résult of what our parents instilled in us. If you do not plant the right values in your children right from their formative stage, they will be easily influenced by their peers. When you send your child to the top notch schools, are they going to be taught the moral values?
Mind you Nigerians are not the only immigrants out there, we still have the Asians too, but they don't usually send their kids back home for training. It still amazes me how they do a good job in raising their kids, instilling their cultural values in their children.
If you say that you put your children in day care centres so as to be able to work different shifts, it's not different from Nigeria where you enroll your children in school as early as three months so that you can work, because there's no benefit for you; and then your child is there from 7:00 am till about 6:00 pm. So what's the difference?
We just have to weigh our options and we must have in mind that Nigeria of today is completely different.
Our parents passed down the values to us, let us pass them down to our children, that is our duty.

That's my take

23 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 4:24pm On Nov 22, 2019
iPopAlomo:

Let's all of us stop tricking ourselves...

One... Nobody is suffering... If you've read my story... I don't blame my parents at all for anything...

But raising a child in Canada is very difficult...

1. This is a country where you don't stop working at least Mon - Fri... And in the early years... Children are sent off to daycare... So being in ones children's life is a complete fallacy... Except one of the parent don't work... And if you import your parent to come and babysit... It is completely not the same...

2. Everyone left Nigeria because of a reason, doesn't mean they hate Nigeria... And I said, moral values is what I want to instill... My children can't be completely Canadian and definitely cannot be completely Nigerian... I don't want my children to refer to Nigeria as Africa...

3. Trust me when I said Canadian teens don't have a clue what is going on out there... I had the best of both worlds at home... And I went to one of the best schools... But if you ask me how I'm able to get on here... All the tools I'll ever need... I learnt it back home...

4. Let's not pretend like there are no bad children in Canada... And let's not pretend there are no bad schools as well... I'm come from a close knit family... And to the best of my knowledge... My sisters kids are doing well... None of them will be suffering... This time, I'll be taking it up a notch, they're going to the best schools back in Nigeria... Under the Eagle eyes of my whole family and adugbo (trust me when I say adugbo is family sef)

5. I know the dagborus in Surulere and as much as I relate with them... They never let me stray... As my mom is considered mother... So which of them wants to initiate my children in cult... They didn't initiate the father, it's the son they want to initiate...?

6. It's coming here I understand Black Americans don't consider themselves Africans... Story for another day...

7. Best schools in Nigeria... Under the watchful eyes of everyone... Basically... Raising them the same way I was raised in a better condition...

My children will do alright...

They can always visit Canada during their summer.. But those formative years where they're easily impressionable... Na naija...

This is my take...

Never said you blamed your parents for anything. They are Nigerians born in Nigeria and they didn't move anywhere so their case is different.

1.) Granted there is less leeway to lean on family members for Baby sitting duties. But i don't undertsand how only seeing your kids in the Mornings and Evenings is worse than not seeing them at all and shipping them to Naija.

2.) Like i mentioned in my original comment. If Nigeria's moral values were so much more Superior to Canada's why is our Nation rife with corruption. Why have we been led by morally bankrupt ruling class since the inception of our independence. It's just funny that you equate Canada with Inferior Morals.

3.) Why would Canadian teens need to know what's going on in Nigeria? Of what benefit is it for them to be so well informed of the degeneracy going on in 3rd world nations all over the world? You are getting on well (like most immigrants from all over the world do, so it's not special) but does that mean there aren't loads of Canadian (and other nationality) raised adults who aren't getting on just as well or even better than you? The tools are not in Naija, they are in the person and the people who raise them.

4.) Yes of course Canada is not a perfect Utopia. There are bad kids, bad elements, poor schools relative to others here. So, all that goes without saying. My comment about their schooling was not about Nigeria having bad schools, it was about the superior experience they can get in a good Canadian school compared to the ones in Nigeria. Unless you want to tell me that the good Nigerian schools are better equipped than the good Canadian schools.

5.) I'm not bothered about cultism (gangs) so i didn't bring it up in my original comment. It's lower social class that often fall victim to that. If kids are well provided for by their family they would not be tempted by any of the nonsense related to gang memberships.

6.) That's because Black Americans/Canadians, although being black like you and i, are not Africans, they are Americans and Canadians. They can not relate with the reality in Africa. and i have no idea why they would want to relate with Poverty, Corruption and degeneracy.

7.) Yes no doubt your kids won't be scarred for life. They won't be adversely affected but it isn't similar to your experience because your parents did not zoom off to another Country and then leave you behind in Nigeria for other family members to look after. Really, it's a different context.

All in all i didn't really write this response to fight you about how you choose to raise your kids. I just had to give counter points to your points. That's about it. Nigeria is getting worse as the months and years pass by anyway which is why lots are rushing to leave. Good luck.

21 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 5:12pm On Nov 22, 2019
To be honest, about this whole where to school your kids thing...

I believe what it really boils down to, and i'm not aiming this just at ipopalomo but people with his philosophy, is that it is not a case of giving your kids superior morals or character. Canada has superior morals and builds greater Characters too. You do not have a Nation like Nigeria if it was the bedrock of Great Morals and Character.

Anyway, the real issue i see with people with this mentality is that they go to Canada and they see how black Canadians and second Generation act, behave, think and talk and they can not relate with it at all. It is Alien to who they are and what they grew up to be. This realization then strikes a fear in them that their kids too would grow up to be this way, their beliefs, accent, behavior, exposure etc would be totally different from what they had to experience.

It is this fear of not being able to see a lot of yourself in your own kids, basically your kids being full Canadian while you still consider yourself very much Nigerian with a Canadian passport, it is this fear that drives them to get their kids as much exposure as possible to the Nigerian reality so they can relate better with their Half Nigerian/Half Canadian kids and still see a bit of themselves in the kids. This is what i believe drives this mentality.

Nothing to do with Morals, or Character building, those are just rationalizations. You want your kids to be more like you so you can see some of yourself in them and be able to relate with them better. End.

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2019
Suspectzero:

I believe what it really boils down to, and i'm not aiming this just at ipopalomo but people with his philosophy, is that it is not a case of giving your kids superior morals or character. Canada has superior morals and builds greater Characters too. You do not have a Nation like Nigeria if it was the bedrock of Great Morals and Character.

Anyway, the real issue i see with people with this mentality is that they go to Canada and they see how black Canadians and second Generation act, behave, think and talk and they can not relate with it at all. It is Alien to who they are and what they grew up to be. This realization then strikes a fear in them that their kids too would grow up to be this way, their beliefs, accent, behavior, exposure etc would be totally different from what they had to experience.

It is this fear of not being able to see a lot of yourself in your own kids, basically your kids being full Canadian while you still consider yourself very much Nigerian with a Canadian passport, it is this fear that drives them to get their kids as much exposure as possible to the Nigerian reality so they can relate better with their Half Nigerian/Half Canadian kids and still see a bit of themselves in the kids. This is what i believe drives this mentality.

Nothing to do with Morals, or Character building, those are just rationalizations. You want your kids to be more like you so you can see some of yourself in them and be able to relate with them better. End.

To be honest, it's not wanting my kids to be like me...

The Canadian culture is very very ALOOF... Younger me wanted to be British... Damn the rest of world... Older me, I now understand culture better...

Everyone is saying they want Canadian kids... Yet... Get invited to a prayer meeting in this same Canada and see parents praying the Nigerian way and the children are looking completely lost...

This are things the environment teaches... It takes more than parents to raise a child... The environment also contributes...

My reason for leaving Nigeria is very different from every other person...

The same people saying let's leave our children here at some point will go back home... And now whether I like it or not... For better or worse... Nigeria is home

I also belonged in the school of thought... If I die here (Canada)... I'll just get buried here... It took me a long while... But Nigeria is home...

And the way I'll raise my kids is to be able to switch being Nigerian and International seamlessly without the culture shock...

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 6:09pm On Nov 22, 2019
iPopAlomo:

The Canadian culture is very very ALOOF... Younger me wanted to be British... Damn the rest of world... Older me, I now understand culture better...

Everyone is saying they want Canadian kids... Yet... Get invited to a prayer meeting in this same Canada and see parents praying the Nigerian way and the children are looking completely lost...

This are things the environment teaches... It takes more than parents to raise a child... The environment also contributes...

The same people saying let's leave our children here at some point will go back home... And now whether I like it or not... For better or worse... Nigeria is home

I also belonged in the school of thought... If I die here (Canada)... I'll just get buried here... It took me a long while... But Nigeria is home...

And the way I'll raise my kids is to be able to switch being Nigerian and International seamlessly without the culture shock...

It's all good. Wish you and yours the very best.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 6:20pm On Nov 22, 2019
Suspectzero:

To start with, one trailer of whatever you drink or eat grin... I like this discussion because I always see something I agree with in every comment, both opposing and supporting ones. First, I call it a discussion and not a debate because the onus lies on us to decide for ourselves. No one here can dictate or trash another for where they choose to raise their own kids, especially when that place is their own country as well. If we were talking about sending them to the U.S or europe for the same purpose, no one would view it as a "mentality". I believe we have to understand that these things are a matter of preference and not a matter of intellectual superiority or civility.

Now, where do I agree with you? The being able to see a part of you in your kids is a very valid reason. If one wants kids that are completely ailien to them, we would have just been sperm and egg donors. In short Quebecois went separatist nuts simply because parents found their kids and grandkids becoming anglicized. Till this day, there are offsprings of immigrants who refer to themselves as irish-canadian, scandinavian-canadian and some do return home. So, it isn't wrong to want a part of your identity to reflect in your kid, even if you are from shithole Nigeria. Besides, shouldn't it be great if they can get the best of both worlds? or there is absolutely nothing good about Nigeria?

Of course even if you raise them in naija, they would be still a bit different from you but to what extent and what areas is the deciding factor. Some people saying this is a non-issue would be the same ones in years to come, finding out they are only accepting it and not necessarily what they wish.
Sure it is left for parents to raise their kids but we seem to forget that society to a large extent dictates if that way is a norm or not and it would ultimately influence the kid. Immigrants wake up everyday realising this at the last hour. To my knowledge this is most common with nigerian parents in the U.S, the same ones who were once excited about raising american kids. it happens so fast that all they can do is make peace with their new found reality.

Also, I am not so big about morals. To me, nigeria has no morals, not even respect. Afterall the same ones who champion respect, would deride an old man who has no money and worship a wealthy young boy. However, if you lived in Nigeria, you should know when Nigerians speak of morals, it connotes religion and family. Like kids being submissive to their parent's will, without negotiations, even if it means pretending. And the state not handicapping you on how to raise your kids. Generally, nigerian morals is on not being sexually pervasive or lewd in public(whatever you do in secret is fine by Nigerian rules lol) and family culture.

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abbey4christ(m): 6:33pm On Nov 22, 2019
There is common denominator in this discussion, everyone is saying "to be honest" who is now dishonest grin
Just kidding cheesy

21 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 6:40pm On Nov 22, 2019
Suspectzero:

It's not compulsory to suffer in order to become a good person. If that were the case, Nigeria would be full of good people but look at the state of the Country and you know that is not the case.

I don't know how you'll convince them that their Mom and Dad are over in Canada enjoying life in a developed country but want them to go through the trials and tribulations of living in a failed State just because that's what their parents went through. I hope your thinking evolves as time goes on.

I wouldn't want this for my offspring sending them back to were i escaped from. There are so many things and opportunities that happen in those formative years of teenage-hood that you would miss out on and that Nigeria would not help your kids develop. Could be sports or musical talents or IT programming. Even memories they'll create about High school. They would not be able to relate to other Canadian adults they would inevitably mingle with when they graduate and come back. It's just not right in my view.

Take them back on summer vacations for 3 months at a time, that's enough to appreciate the reality in Nigeria. But not sentencing them to 6 straight years. Anyway, that's my 2 cents.

Well said. A parent shouldn't need society to help shape/raise their kids. That should be on the parent. Besides, what will ones child learn in a country filled with criminals and con-artists ? Most of these parents just want their kids to say they had a "hard life" at one point in their lives. So when they're older and gisting with their friends, they can say "I remember when I had no light or running water. Bros I dey suffa" Meanwhile they'll look down on their Canadian born naija mates and say "You neva grow for naija. You wouldn't understand" Literally that's all these parents want. Of course how can one suffer while holding a Canadian passport ? I'm not even trying to be funny. These young naija kids brag over who suffered more than the other growing up. The ones who "suffered more" get the stripes. And like you said. I've seen young kids come over here and struggle to adapt for years. I've seen many parents try this. Their children comeback even more messed up. Except they've mastered how to be a criminal very well while living in naija for those few years.

13 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Abiodunnn(f): 6:49pm On Nov 22, 2019
You definitely deserve a trailer-load of whatever you eat!!! grin

einsteino:

To start with, one trailer of whatever you drink or eat grin...

Also, I am not so big about morals. To me, nigeria has no morals, not even respect. Afterall the same ones who champion respect, would deride an old man who has no money and worship a wealthy young boy. However, if you lived in Nigeria, you should know when Nigerians speak of morals, it connotes religion and family. Like kids being submissive to their parent's will, without negotiations, even if it means pretending. And the state not handicapping you on how to raise your kids. Generally, nigerian morals is on not being sexually pervasive or lewd in public(whatever you do in secret is fine by Nigerian rules lol) and family culture.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 6:50pm On Nov 22, 2019
einsteino:

To start with, one trailer of whatever you drink or eat grin... I like this discussion because I always see something I agree with in every comment, both opposing and supporting ones. First, I call it a discussion and not a debate because the onus lies on us to decide for ourselves. No one here can dictate or trash another for where they choose to raise their own kids, especially when that place is their own country as well. If we were talking about sending them to the U.S or europe for the same purpose, no one would view it as a "mentality". I believe we have to understand that these things are a matter of preference and not a matter of intellectual superiority or civility.

Now, where do I agree with you? The being able to see a part of you in your kids is a very valid reason. If one wants kids that are completely ailien to them, we would have just been sperm and egg donors. In short Quebecois went separatist nuts simply because parents found their kids and grandkids becoming anglicized. Till this day, there are offsprings of immigrants who refer to themselves as irish-canadian, scandinavian-canadian and some do return home. So, it isn't wrong to want a part of your identity to reflect in your kid, even if you are from shithole Nigeria. Besides, shouldn't it be great if they can get the best of both worlds? or there is absolutely nothing good about Nigeria?

Of course even if you raise them in naija, they would be still a bit different from you but to what extent and what areas is the deciding factor. Some people saying this is a non-issue would be the same ones in years to come, finding out they are only accepting it and not necessarily what they wish.
Sure it is left for parents to raise their kids but we seem to forget that society to a large extent dictates if that way is a norm or not and it would ultimately influence the kid. Immigrants wake up everyday realising this at the last hour. To my knowledge this is most common with nigerian parents in the U.S, the same ones who were once excited about raising american kids. it happens so fast that all they can do is make peace with their new found reality.

Very insightful comment. I especially enjoyed the last paragraph.

I tried to refrain from calling it a mentality (because i didn't want to seem accusatory or derogatory). At the end of the day, it is still a bit of preference as you pointed out.

You are also right about the québécois and even Italian Americans whom till this day boast about their Frenchness and Italianess. Maybe I'm just a bit biased about Nigeria because it is not a Country i can boast about. Italy, Scandinavia, Ireland, all first world nations so it's easy to feel proud of that heritage. You find Nigerians reminiscing about "Up Nepa" and their suffer suffer boarding housing days lol.

Anyway, happiness and contentment is subjective to an extent. We can all make our decisions as best we see fit for ourselves and our loved ones.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DexterousOne(m): 6:50pm On Nov 22, 2019
bily:

We are not saying all schools are like that... We are taking in terms of the average reality of what is on ground.

If you are talking of the best of the best school in Nigeria, those schools are patterned to replicate what you have in developed countries, so what's the extra they want to teach your children

Let's say the truth, we want to send our children to school in Nigeria not because of the quality of education when compared to Canada, but to instill values and make them 'street smart'

I went to a military boarding school and I had the same sentiments to send my kids to boarding school.
Till I did some deep thinking and realised it wasn't really the school that made me turn out this way, but the values instilled on a subconscious level by my parents.

The funny thing is now my parents are not really strict with their grand children nowadays. Things they will never let slide with us when growing up, they now overlook with the grandchildren. This also, you have to take into consideration especially when you will be in Canada while the kids are schooling in Nigeria.

Honestly sending your kids to a Catholic school in Canada if possible, may be far better than sending your kids to school in Nigeria.

I will NEVER send my kids to svhool in Nigeria

When I am not mad

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 6:54pm On Nov 22, 2019
maternal:

Well said. A parent shouldn't need society to help shape/raise their kids. That should be on the parent. Besides, what will ones child learn in a country filled with criminals and con-artists ? Most of these parents just want their kids to say they had a "hard life" at one point in their lives. So when they're older and gisting with their friends, they can say "I remember when I had no light or running water. Bros I dey suffa" Meanwhile they'll look down on their Canadian born naija mates and say "You neva grow for naija. You wouldn't understand" Literally that's all these parents want. Of course how can one suffer while holding a Canadian passport ? I'm not even trying to be funny. These young naija kids brag over who suffered more than the other growing up. The ones who "suffered more" get the stripes. And like you said. I've seen young kids come over here and struggle to adapt for years. I've seen many parents try this. Their children comeback even more messed up. Except they've mastered how to be a criminal very well while living in naija for those few years.

Lol i didn't even read this comment before referring to exactly what you talking about here in an even more recent comment. Thanks for your 2 cents.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:02pm On Nov 22, 2019
I am not married and dont have kids but my advise to the married ones with kids is please dont send your kids to Nigeria to study. The quality of education in Nigeria is close to zero.
I intend to train my future kids in sports and not necessarily education because I feel there are better sports academies here and I mean they can be very happy in the future being successful athletes. Thats one area people are not tapping into.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 7:23pm On Nov 22, 2019
Suspectzero:

Very insightful comment. I especially enjoyed the last paragraph.

I tried to refrain from calling it a mentality (because i didn't want to seem accusatory or derogatory). At the end of the day, it is still a bit of preference as you pointed out.

You are also right about the québécois and even Italian Americans whom till this day boast about their Frenchness and Italianess. Maybe I'm just a bit biased about Nigeria because it is not a Country i can boast about. Italy, Scandinavia, Ireland, all first world nations so it's easy to feel proud of that heritage. You find Nigerians reminiscing about "Up Nepa" and their suffer suffer boarding housing days lol.

Anyway, happiness and contentment is subjective to an extent. We can all make our decisions as best we see fit for ourselves and our loved ones.

grin grin I no follow for that one o. I never saw hardship as a positive process . Though I guess that experience has helped me recognise and make the best use of the priveleges and stability here. Many born canadians here do not even notice they are privileged and usually end up not maximising the opportunities they have.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 7:46pm On Nov 22, 2019
iPopAlomo:

By praying the nigerian way , you mean “somersault and die” ? cheesy

At the end of the day the simple truth is you can’t have the best of both worlds .. Sending your kids to nigeria in teenage years would completely affect how they reintegrate back into Canadian culture .

At the end of the day Nigerian parents need to learn to take decisions with their kids interests and not theirs

Even if I end up living in nigeria and having kids there I cannot raise my kids the way so many nigerians do i.e with fear and intimidation. All that does is breed fantastic liars who tell you what you wanna hear to your face

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChiefVal: 8:00pm On Nov 22, 2019
Collintos:
By Jimmy

shocked

Dude or Sis, Please stop.

26 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dollywood(m): 8:05pm On Nov 22, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dollywood(m): 8:07pm On Nov 22, 2019
19CannyMum:

Winter can be six months in a year. It's a big mistake to sit home all winter. There are activities in winter just like there are activities in summer.

Car with proper heating
Remote starter or even garage or underground parking
Good quality winter tires
Good quality apparel
Roadside assistance
Snow removal services

That's what I mean that winter is for the poor. Because when you have all these you barely notice the weather. Plus for family people being able to pay nanny or baby sitter so you can go catch fun without the children.

I don't have that complete list yet, but winter doesn't deter me. I do my fun waka regardless of weather. Have taken my son swimming in -20 weather (real feel), 20cm snow storm. Gone for mini-kparakpor in -27 (still real feel). You only experience the weather when walking to and from your car.

Right now I consider anything higher than 0 to be normal weather. Layer up and take a stroll to soak up some sun!

Join a meetup to learn something new, volunteer to hangout with a fresh set of people, or even just go to the nearest library or community centre, there must be one or two activities. There's no good reason to sit at home unless you enjoy sitting at home.

Lol and u said it only affects the poor? Do u know what it means to be poor in canada? Lol, Those aforementioned requirements can be afford by an average immigrants there's nothing special in it.
I love canada and it's my dream country but it has disadvantages, Nothing changes the fact that Canada is boring ask people around you, The winter is deadly and restricts freedom of movements cos most people are always indoor, U said u carry your son go swimming? I'm sure that happens once in a while, if u can ride car with heater in it, that's good... But when most people are indoor u won't have people to have fun with, Moreover Canadians are introverts they do thing on their own and hardly makes friends. Let's face reality Canada can be very boring for people who live alone without their family.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 8:15pm On Nov 22, 2019
ChiefVal:

Dude or Sis, Please stop.

Haven't you noticed he's a troll...?!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MumofTwins2017: 8:32pm On Nov 22, 2019
On a lighter note... i remember back in the days, if you write JAMB once you wouldn’t have ‘bragging’ rights compared to one who wrote so many times before getting admission into the University grin I remember how happy I would be when I wasn’t called out for being an ajebo who wrote once.. ‘how ignorant we were’

It was recently i began to understand that having a ‘gap’ in one’s personal history is nothing to brag about. Your supposed to be moving to another level at every stage.

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Abiodunnn(f): 8:48pm On Nov 22, 2019
What exactly are Collintos and Dollywood about?
This thread is for people living in Canada or planning to live there....I'm certain there are 'Pro-Nigeria' threads on this same Nairaland. We get it, Canada is not all rosy, but some people still want to live there anyways.....

You talked about 2-faced people, difficulties in getting good jobs and boredom; Newsflash, all these are in Nigeria too. So please, enough!!!

Note: I'm not living in Canada, i may or may not live in Canada...... but live and let live

25 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by safex(m): 9:35pm On Nov 22, 2019
I really don't know where to start putting mouth for the matter on ground but one thing I know for sure is, no matter how bad Nigeria may be I will miss her already for at least twenty reasons cool grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 10:23pm On Nov 22, 2019
Dollywood:

Lol and u said it only affects the poor? Do u know what it means to be poor in canada? Lol, Those aforementioned requirements can be afford by an average immigrants there's nothing special in it.
I love canada and it's my dream country but it has disadvantages, Nothing changes the fact that Canada is boring ask people around you, The winter is deadly and restricts freedom of movements cos most people are always indoor, U said u carry your son go swimming? I'm sure that happens once in a while, if u can ride car with heater in it, that's good... But when most people are indoor u won't have people to have fun with, Moreover Canadians are introverts they do thing on their own and hardly makes friends. Let's face reality Canada can be very boring for people who live alone without their family.

If average people can afford those requirements, you can understand why winter is not a problem.

If I had no family, I would be out every single day I wanted to. Jokes apart. There's so much to do. So so so much.

PS: the swimming is a regular thing. Every week.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 55emem55: 10:43pm On Nov 22, 2019
@collintos

You need to TOP posting long paragraphs. You're spamming the thread bro. Post the link to the article and save us the stress of scrolling a million times. Like can you just STOP!

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mldtemi(f): 11:11pm On Nov 22, 2019
Please where can u get Agege bread and ewa agoyin in Edmonton.

All these tales of Nigeria versus Canada is making me bored!

Let everyone do what the want to do abeg

Let us more on to something else that we benefit everybody here.

My 5 kobo!

17 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DexterousOne(m): 12:21am On Nov 23, 2019
Interesting
Collintos:
By Jimmy

It may not be self-evident there is a lot of articles but only few can help foreign seekers to make informed decisions. Most people are giving incomplete information, bits and pieces. It’s of no tangible help. It’s like leading the reader into the jungle of unreliable information (lot of bushes), who is then hopelessly confused and lost. Of course, someone can’t rely upon an amateur on a particular subject matter to supply a professional recommendation.

Hold up! Please do not hastily sell or dispose your mansion, land, machinery, equipment, tools, sentimental items and other assets. Do not relinquish your secured, decent job (even though it may be less than perfect- there is no absolutely perfect job!), cherished long term friendships and other relationships. Before doing that, please ensure you read this piece of writing along with the other pieces. It’s totally free life-saving gems of info.

Now, I’ll give only three (3) salient reasons that are more than enough to convince someone not even to contemplate moving to Canada, unless these don’t matter to you:

(1) Lack of decent paying jobs: If one should decide on only one reason, this is it! How would one survive on low income to pay ever increasing rent or high mortgage (expensive house/condo price), along with other subsistence expenses. Cost of living is rapidly going up and up and up. No wonder there is a high number of Canadians with mountains of debts.

“Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians…”

Drowning in debt, freaked out Canadians brace for a reckoning - BNN Bloomberg

Even a low paying job is a huge challenge to get, much less a high paying one. Oh no, please don’t take on a factory job. Factory labor jobs are the worst of the worst. It’s literal slavery! At one time, I decided to experiment with a side/part time factory labor job as a way to supplement my income. Big mistake! No sooner had I worked only 3 hours than I had to walk off that job! I didn’t even bother to uplift my income payment for the 3 hours of work. So, I generously gave free labor.

Even for the low income jobs one has to pass additional tests like “online aptitude, personality and skills”; basic knowledge on English and Mathematics; computer literacy; job-specific and other tests, depending on the requirements and whether one is hired directly by employer or by an employment agency (which usually required vigorous testing and is unreasonably complicated). There seems to be more employment agencies than employers! - That’s a hyperbole.

So, in order to secure a job, one has to pass a combination of these tests, apart from the job interview. The majority of job candidates share the view that online tests are garbage and an absolute waste of precious time! Many highly qualified candidates are ruled out because of these so-called screening tests!

“Most Canadians are unhappy with their salaries, survey finds”

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business...

(2) Sky high expensive accommodation: The huge influx of immigrants bought up the available housing units, thereby creating a chronic shortage in housing. Hurray! For housing developers! These are very happy people. Also investors are buying up the houses and condos, so that they can benefit from the ongoing increase in prices.

The quality of many apartment buildings is shameful. These so-called residential dwellings are plagued with roaches, mice, bedbugs, unhygienic, congestion, little or no ventilation, lack of proper heating for the cold weather, lack of air conditioning for the summer hot humid temperatures and for pumping air through the living unit, lack of sound proof structure (so the sounds of neighbors and door slams wouldn’t wake one up- sleep is vitally important!). Wouldn’t one wonder if this is indeed a developed nation?

Landlords kept raising the rent often and wouldn’t take heed to your complaints. They usually demand their “fat rent” at the beginning of the month, or else failure of paying will see one being kicked out in about 30 days. This is an acid test of true Canadian hospitality, generosity and kindness! This country is run on pure greed! Spaces are limited /congested in apartment buildings and old houses. Even some new houses and condos, the developers are stingy in giving adequate spaces! This mean-spirited attitude is ingrained in Canadian culture.

“Renters in Canada face a number of hurdles. Finding a place, for one, is often a struggle in itself.”

There’s a lifestyle penalty for renting in Canada — it doesn’t have to be so

(3) Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically! However, there are exceptions, for example, Montreal is better than Vancouver, Ottawa and Toronto, in this context. Canadian culture is boring to death. It’s an oppressive and depressing country! Too many rules to keep the population in psychological slavery. Canadians are living in fear.

It’s a mediocre society. It’s cold-hearted. There’s no zest. No liveliness. It lacks inspiration. It’s demotivating. It kills one’s dream/ambition. It’s a country of complications and contradictions. One has to live here to experience it. As the saying goes, “Who feels it, knows it.”

Culture is a very important concept that peeps have to learn but sadly overlook, particularly when migrating to a new country. It’s like neck to neck with the economic factor. It’s a very powerful force, like a monster with good and bad features. Even with loads of money, would one be happy living in a cold, grossly boring culture like this one?

Unfortunately, for the Canadian culture, I can hardly think of any pros, and even if there are, they will be outweighed by the cons. Cons include, antisocial, unfriendly (do not talk with strangers), rude, unkind, stingy, uncaring, unloving, unhelpful, unforgiving, unmerciful, intolerant, racial, discriminatory, backstabbing, pretentious, selfish, narcissistic, proud, snobbish, rip-off, materialistic, etc. Huff! What a boring, depressing list. It’s a highly toxic and contagious culture!

A few pros that stand out are welcoming new immigrants into “slavery” to work in extremely hard low paying jobs; silence, where peeps do not talk much with each other, everywhere is full of it, from coast to coast; polite when it has to be selling, customer service or public service. However, even the so-called politeness of Canadian culture is fake. If someone can’t hold a friendly conversation with another, then that is proof that the politeness is not really “polite” at all in the first place. It doesn’t come genuinely from the heart. Even some foreigners are now realizing that Canadian smiles are fake! It’s like “fake it until you make it” kind of thing.

Sometimes one has to run or fly in order to win, if one can’t beat a monster! Like many other born Canadians who settled in other countries, I also have been living outside of Canada. Of course, I’m so ecstatic that I’ve made one of the most vital life-changing decisions ever!

There are a lot of other deficiencies, some of which can be found on my Quora profile. However, if lack of decent paying jobs, chronic shortage of housing, which is super expensive (renting and buying) along with the fact that Canada is dead, socially, emotionally and romantically, there is no incentive to live in Canada at all. Period! Full stop!

Well, if you still can’t accept or believe this piece of information, I challenge any foreigner to live in the largest city by population in Canada, Toronto, which is widely said to be culturally diverse and which is supposed to be a “most developed” city, according to United Nations reports and other similar reports, or alternatively any other English Canadian city, for only six (6) months or as long as you please, before bringing your entire family!

Beware! You have been warned! Ignore this info at your own risk!

Jimmy

Post Script:

Some possible reasons for foreigners habitually and continuously thinking that Canada is a perfect country:

Perhaps because of pride, shame and other reasons, immigrants do not tell their relatives, friends and associates in their original country, "I’m failing in Canada! I need help!" …Human nature.
Because the freedom of the Canadian news media is highly regulated and suppressed, “certain information” on Canadian society and life would seldom make world headline news…Oppressive, secretive society.
The internet is replete with sarcastic lists of reasons like, “12 reasons NOT to go to Canada,” on websites which are actually promoting Canada for tourism and other reasons. Also, this is a way of promoting that Canadians do have a sense of humor by being sarcastic, but living in Canada will easily prove otherwise. Nice try! Don’t fall for it. Of course, Canadian nature is most definitely beautiful. There are literally a great number of sites and immigration consultants advertising reasons to visit, to study in and to live in Canada…Half-truths peddlers for commercial benefits.
Employers who want cheap labor.
Getting carried away by sugar-coated, politically correct articles and comments on the internet. They get foreigners confused as to what is true and what's not…People with their “own agenda.”
Humans can be logically confusing creatures, with everyone sharing various viewpoints on a particular topic but not everyone would score a “10” on a scale of 1-10, with also only a small percentage who tells the full truth.

Whose information do you prefer to trust? –

A) A professional who studied social science for many years, studied human behavior, lived in the country, presenting logical info for whatever topic is in focus, or

B) Residents/non-residents/immigration consultants who in most cases nonchalantly wrote up things as they came to their mind?

Oh Mehn this guy is too raw. easy bro shocked shocked shocked
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dollywood(m): 12:45am On Nov 23, 2019
19CannyMum:

If average people can afford those requirements, you can understand why winter is not a problem.

If I had no family, I would be out every single day I wanted to. Jokes apart. There's so much to do. So so so much.

PS: the swimming is a regular thing. Every week.

Okay angry
I don't wanna argue any further, u win wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dollywood(m): 12:48am On Nov 23, 2019
Abiodunnn:
What exactly are Collintos and Dollywood about?
This thread is for people living in Canada or planning to live there....I'm certain there are 'Pro-Nigeria' threads on this same Nairaland. We get it, Canada is not all rosy, but some people still want to live there anyways.....

You talked about 2-faced people, difficulties in getting good jobs and boredom; Newsflash, all these are in Nigeria too. So please, enough!!!

Note: I'm not living in Canada, i may or may not live in Canada...... but live and let live

Have some respect, u don't talk to elderly people like that. cheesy

Just kidding wink

You have a point and i like it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ChiefVal: 1:12am On Nov 23, 2019
iPopAlomo:

Haven't you noticed he's a troll...?!!
Yup! So annoying.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 1:42am On Nov 23, 2019
einsteino:
I can't argue with points 6, 7, 11 and 12. My God she perfectly summarised Canada in the bolded, especially that point 7! People here are two faced and eye service is a huge part of their workplace culture. I cant count how many times people have spoken very ill of someone to me, but go on leading the person to think they are best of friends. They even find it odd when you choose to be neutral. You really can't tell where you stand with a canadian, esp at work. It is very common for seeming good friends at work to forget your existence the moment you or they change jobs. People socialize on a need-to-basis here. This is why most immigrants default to mostly associating with people of their own culture, just to preserve their social sanity. It is the second generation of immigrants/kids that often get used to the flow.

Then the healthcare thing... that one beats my comprehension. There is an acute shortage of specialist doctors, Canadians even travel abroad to get healthcare, yet doctors have to go through an abysmally long winding path to licensure. It seems like there is a deliberate plan to maintain the shortage.

@ the bolded!!!...you nailed it with precision..

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (250) (251) (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 186
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.