Stats: 3,148,866 members, 7,802,785 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (255) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2178135 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbhs139(m): 2:49am On Nov 25, 2019
Mizwisdom:

This right here is very low. The man is obviously not a poor fellow who can't afford good medical care for his kids even in Nigeria so why raise the issue of death? if his kids have terminal illness (God forbid) it's pretty certain he won't leave them in Nigeria while he stays abroad, he will want them to be close to him. I don't know why you thought of that scenero but his reaction is predictable if that's the case. You don't need to argue on everything

Medical treatment in Nigeria is not about ONLY money sir. Yes, I can tell you that for free, that it isn't about JUST whether or not you have the money but the right treatment.

Is it not in Nigeria they use malaria drugs to treat cancer? If you can't get the best of treatment at LUTH or St. Nicolas, pray, tell me, where else does one turn toif not celestial church of Christi grin

Yes, you heard me right, I said St Nicolas. And I said that with all sense of responsibility.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ennybright: 4:24am On Nov 25, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ekpekus(m): 6:37am On Nov 25, 2019
mbhs139:

Medical treatment in Nigeria is not about ONLY money sir. Yes, I can tell you that for free, that it isn't about JUST whether or not you have the money but the right treatment.

Is it not in Nigeria they use malaria drugs to treat cancer? If you can't get the best of treatment at LUTH or St. Nicolas, pray, tell me, where else does one turn toif not celestial church of Christi grin

Yes, you heard me right, I said St Nicolas. And I said that with all sense of responsibility.

There are many places outside Lagos.. So you think only LUTH and St. Nicholas gives right diagnosis and treatment abi?
Even here in Canada people die; Nigerian trained doctors practice here and Waiting time nor be for joke..
In essence, try and put things in perspective before going off on medical treatment in Nigeria vis-a-vis hospitals

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mbhs139(m): 7:32am On Nov 25, 2019
Ekpekus:

There are many places outside Lagos.. So you think only LUTH and St. Nicholas gives right diagnosis and treatment abi?
Even here in Canada people die; Nigerian trained doctors practice here and Waiting time nor be for joke..
In essence, try and put things in perspective before going off on medical treatment in Nigeria vis-a-vis hospitals

Is there anywhere in the world where people don't die? We just like to deceive ourselves as Nigerians. If our Nigeria was so that good in the first place why are we going through all the stress of living in another man's land, with even some taking the risk of travelling through the desert. We just like to glorify what is not. We are crying that we don't have a system talkless of it working.

Oya, tell me, where in Nigeria do you have the best of medic care? Yes, Nigerians doctors are practising in Canada, the kind of facilities and environment they have in Canada, do they have it in Nigeria?

After we have struggled to attain the PR status finish we now make it look as if it doesn't worth it afterall. How dare anyone compare? Abeg

33 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 8:54am On Nov 25, 2019
You guys should stop comparing Nigeria with Canada.......
Canada has more more opportunities for common man than Nigeria.
People's died everywhere.
Shit happens everywhere.

Nigeria is a third world country for God's sake

25 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Transformium: 10:37am On Nov 25, 2019
Hi Guys, For those that moved funds from UK to Canada. How did you do it? Cc smslive2
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Suspectzero(m): 12:05pm On Nov 25, 2019
swaga007:
Can I send you a pm , am interested pls

Please Swaga007, could you tell me the duration between your passport submission at vfs and your receipt of your copr from vfs? Thank you.
Submitted mine last Tuesday so i would like a good idea of how much time i've got.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Phocusjosh(m): 1:01pm On Nov 25, 2019
Thanks, bro

Naijaforeigner:

Hello bro, I just responded.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cutiep: 2:44pm On Nov 25, 2019
Dear House,

Please do we need a medical report for our kids. Also for the immunization records can we take what was done at a private hospital or is there a special document that has to be completed.

Thank you for your answers
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Livy2018: 5:53pm On Nov 25, 2019
Come to Canada with their immunization cards, either the ones given to you by your private hospital or the ones collected from health centres. I came with my kids' immunization cards issued by the one of the community health centres in Lagos. When you land, if Calgary, call the closest health centre to you, you will be asked to scan and send their immunization cards to them by email. They will review the cards, call you to inform you of the ones that are outstanding and book an appointment for them to come in for the shots.

cutiep:
Dear House,

Please do we need a medical report for our kids. Also for the immunization records can we take what was done at a private hospital or is there a special document that has to be completed.

Thank you for your answers

5 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Livy2018: 5:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
Its not about been strong, you will learn to schedule your day when you get here. Having a car has really helped me though and yes, I have a family who lives less than 3 mins away, plus the benefits of having Nigerian neighbors who have become my family here, you will need each other at some point.

Influential101:
Wow.. Please give us practical ways you have been doing it shocked

You're strong o.. Do you have family or friends in Canada ?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Livy2018: 5:56pm On Nov 25, 2019
Please do. Have a great day
Newbeecey:
Hi Livy2018

Please we need to discuss how to be fine in this situation o. Permission to PM you please?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 10:05pm On Nov 25, 2019
Livy2018:
Its not about been strong, you will learn to schedule your day when you get here. Having a car has really helped me though and yes, I have a family who lives less than 3 mins away, plus the benefits of having Nigerian neighbors who have become my family here, you will need each other at some point.

Good you gave this context.

Raising 3 young children alone in Canada, without any support, is really difficult. I wouldn't advise anyone who has options to do it. But if you must, please preserve your mental health.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 10:11pm On Nov 25, 2019
mbhs139:

Is there anywhere in the world where people don't die? We just like to deceive ourselves as Nigerians. If our Nigeria was so that good in the first place why are we going through all the stress of living in another man's land, with even some taking the risk of travelling through the desert. We just like to glorify what is not. We are crying that we don't have a system talkless of it working.

Oya, tell me, where in Nigeria do you have the best of medic care? Yes, Nigerians doctors are practising in Canada, the kind of facilities and environment they have in Canada, do they have it in Nigeria?

After we have struggled to attain the PR status finish we now make it look as if it doesn't worth it afterall. How dare anyone compare? Abeg

My guy you even have time. I wanted to type all this, but why bother ? Bafoons like MizWidom and Ekpe can believe what they want. People like to put me down here because I speak the truth. Can you imagine someone comparing Nigeria's medical system, a country which system is ranked almost dead last in the world, with one of the lowest life expectancy rate; to Canada's system, which is even ranked ahead of America's ? I have seen family members die over something which would be very small here in Canada. Really a non-issue. And God forbid there's a medical emergency and your love one needs immediate surgery. Just start planning their funeral. Just because one wants their kids to be more "cultured" ?!?!?!?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Afiahomes(m): 10:16pm On Nov 25, 2019
Livy2018:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gabflex: 2:16am On Nov 26, 2019
maternal:

My guy you even have time. I wanted to type all this, but why bother ? Bafoons like MizWidom and Ekpe can believe what they want. People like to put me down here because I speak the truth. Can you imagine someone comparing Nigeria's medical system, a country which system is ranked almost dead last in the world, with one of the lowest life expectancy rate; to Canada's system, which is even ranked ahead of America's ? I have seen family members die over something which would be very small here in Canada. Really a non-issue. And God forbid there's a medical emergency and your love one needs immediate surgery. Just start planning their funeral. Just because one wants their kids to be more "cultured" ?!?!?!?
bros u no lie, imagine a young man was shot at a party, he was taken to UCH for emergency and they were requesting for police report before they will work on him. person wey don die finish and that was how this man died during the argument.
Nigerian police self is another issue.
ah don tire

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Collintos: 8:32am On Nov 26, 2019
grin grin grin grin Dude Chillax. focus and dont be insecured wink....atleast the thread is moving and no dead silence. Opinions and counter opinions to help novice settle in with objective realities and better view rather than having over blown expectations.
iPopAlomo:

Haven't you noticed he's a troll...?!!

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lordally(m): 9:40am On Nov 26, 2019
maternal:

A wealthy person has many ways of getting papers. They usually don't game the system. These people come in different ways. Maybe use their life-savings to try to cross into Canada from the U.S to try their luck. Some come for business, maybe they have a business conference, then cross, and so forth. It's easy to judge when you're a Nigerian-Canadian and you enjoy one of the best quality of life. If the roles were reverse, it'd be funny how many people change their perspective. Like they say, "Never mock a pain you haven't endured. Because when life hits you, you might become everything you ever criticized" I'm not a thief, but I'd never judge a poor man who has to steal to survive.

Words of a wise man!!!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lordally(m): 9:55am On Nov 26, 2019
maternal:
@SixSigma,

Your post is filled with Dog Whistle. Then when people call you out, you get defensive. It's like Trump saying MAGA. Minorities living in the U.S. or the west knows he really means make America white again. People who live in Canada know where you stand and what you really mean. This has nothing to do with political parties. You're masking your hatred for certain type of immigrants with that. You have adopted the ideology of an anti-immigration Canadian. This view point is usually expressed by white canadians who like to blame everything on immigration. Most refugees don't contribute. The FACTS say otherwise. Most Nigerian refugees have false claims. How do you know that ? Are you there during their court dates ?

While you walking around all high and mighty because you finally got citizenship. Just remember immigration comes in different forms. Not everyone is qualified or has the money to come in through the EE. Besides, a refugee from Syria for example who comes here because THE WEST is bombing their country, doesn't have time to fill out an EE form when bombs are dropping on them. Never bash or judge someone who's trying to migrate to Canada, regardless of how they get here. Because ultimately they're coming over for the SAME reason you came over here. To improve their lives.

This man you're blessed with Wisdom joor
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lordally(m): 10:09am On Nov 26, 2019
maternal:

I had this discussion with a Yoruba guy who's been in Canada going on 10 years. He came through the EE, he's now a citizen and will be voting in his 2nd election. He
lives a good life and started a family. He refuses to vote liberals because according to him they're opening the border, letting a lot of immigrants in without vetting them. I honestly wanted to slap him. Canada is actually one of the hardest countries to get into. I feel this man likes the advantage he has over his family and friends in Nigeria. Very wicked man.

Hahahahahhahahahahahaahah
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abbey4christ(m): 3:06pm On Nov 26, 2019
Oya balance it, post success stories too wink
Collintos:
grin grin grin grin Dude Chillax. focus and dont be insecured wink....atleast the thread is moving and no dead silence. Opinions and counter opinions to help novice settle in with objective realities and better view rather than having over blown expectations.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richness1104: 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2019
Hello people,

I plan to arrive in Edmonton in February. Can someone please assist with ifc material for my banking career?

Someone asked that we contact him but i have forgotten the moniker now.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Melodyy19: 5:02pm On Nov 26, 2019
Hello everyone

Please does one have to land in the place of destination written on their COPR, if they didn't get a provincial nomination?

My COPR says Alberta, Calgary but I intend on settling in Ontario instead.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 8:46pm On Nov 26, 2019
Melodyy19:
Hello everyone

Please does one have to land in the place of destination written on their COPR, if they didn't get a provincial nomination?

Your're absolutely free to land and reside anywhere in Canada (maybe with the exception of Quebec), if your PR is not province-based / sponsored.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abbey4christ(m): 9:10pm On Nov 26, 2019
Hi Melody, i have Brampton on my COPR but i settled in Regina, i don't even know the way to Brampton.
Melodyy19:
Hello everyone

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Melodyy19: 9:53pm On Nov 26, 2019
Thank you
esterella:

Your're absolutely free to land and reside anywhere in Canada (maybe with the exception of Quebec), if your PR is not province-based / sponsored.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Melodyy19: 9:54pm On Nov 26, 2019
Thank you grin
abbey4christ:
Hi Melody, i have Brampton on my COPR but i settled in Regina, i don't even know the way to Brampton.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nomad26: 10:18pm On Nov 26, 2019
Many options: worldremit, azimo, TransferWise, etc
Transformium:
Hi Guys, For those that moved funds from UK to Canada. How did you do it? Cc smslive2

1 Like 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 11:10pm On Nov 26, 2019
mldtemi:
Please where can u get Agege bread and ewa agoyin in Edmonton.

All these tales of Nigeria versus Canada is making me bored!

Let everyone do what the want to do abeg

Let us more on to something else that we benefit everybody here.

My 5 kobo!

Go to Kasoa.. They sell one Bread called Lagos Bread.. Very similar to Agege bread. You could also go to Loriz Bakery its very close to West Edmonton Mall, They loaf and Pan de sal tastes just like our bread. As for Ewa Agonyini look for recipe online and cook grin grin grin

18 Likes 9 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Transformium: 12:53am On Nov 27, 2019
nomad26:
Many options: worldremit, azimo, TransferWise, etc
Those were the ones I was considering. I was actually wondering if there are any other options. Thanks a lot for your response.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Collintos: 8:16am On Nov 27, 2019
abbey4christ:
Oya balance it, post success stories too wink

Hi all,

I too would like to share my personal experience for the benefit of those who are thinking about immigration; I moved to Canada last year, August 2018 to be precise. I am in my early 30s, born and brought up in Mumbai (one of the biggest city in the world), India.

Back in India: I used to work at an MNC as an AVP; my daily life was like waking up at 6 a.m. getting ready and then the everyday struggle to get in the local train from the suburbs (coz even with a 7 figure salary I couldn’t afford a home in the city and though I had a car I never took it to work considering the stress of driving in the insane traffic and the condition of the road). I used to reach work at 9 a.m., continue working for 10 to 12 hrs (it’s a norm here) and then again struggle to board the train from the city back to the suburbs (the whole crowd moves in the same direction yet the authorities don’t care neither the crowd). Once back by 9–10 p.m, I used to spend some time with my friends depending on their availability and my timing, have dinner and then go to sleep.

Here in Canada: I struggled a lot initially but after 4 months of patience, hard work, a lot of research & networking and a few certifications I got a job (I moved from finance into IT industry and from being an AVP to a Manager). Also, I moved to a smaller city in the scenic Okanagan Valley (kind of Goa in India) that has an amazing weather for most part of the year; rather than settling in big cities like Toronto or Vancouver (preferred destination by many immigrants). I earn a 5 figure salary but in CADs of course and I live in a house (bungalow as we call in Mumbai). I wake up at 6 a.m. as usual but here I have time to offer my prayers in peace, prepare as well as relish the tasty breakfast before leaving for work at 7:30 and the best part, I walk to work [I don’t have a car here coz I didn’t clear the driving test (twice), and eventually when I get it, I still won’t drive to work; 1. There is a 6 month or probably a years waiting for parking space in my office building 2. I live just 20 mins walking distance from work, that’s hardly 5–10 mins on bicycle and 15–20 mins by bus]. I work from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. (it’s a norm here) and I am back home by 5:30 p.m. then I enjoy the rest of my day reading in the local library or playing badminton/ working out in the nearby club/ fitness center or take a nice stroll along the lake front that’s hardly 5 mins from my home.

It’s just been 6 months for me in Canada but I have enjoyed every bit of it, right from the struggle of getting a relevant job to appearing & reappearing for my driving tests, making new friends (from different nationalities) to shoveling snow from the walkway around my house. I do miss my family and friends a lot but then life is all about give and take, I prefer this life over the one back in India where I have my family and friends but hardly had any time to spend with them or with myself.

Hope you are happy now grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

58 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Onetwo77: 8:27am On Nov 27, 2019
XE or Monzo. I check for the best exchange rate. Sometimes, good to transfer naira to GBP then CAD. Rather than naira to CAD straight

Transformium:

4 Likes 4 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (252) (253) (254) (255) (256) (257) (258) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64