Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,501 members, 7,808,851 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 05:56 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (265) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182439 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by safex(m): 9:03pm On Dec 12, 2019
Ligxy:

Lol, I do once in a while, na only brekete family I dey hear dem dey do. The program sef don tire me. grin
So you were actually expecting to hear Christmas songs on brekete program? My sister fear God nah grin cheesy
BTW remember to invite me to your sent forth party as I dey the next street cool

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 12:09am On Dec 13, 2019
Hello dear Landed Seniors,
Anyone in Brandon, Manitoba? I'm yet to see/read any relevant information on Brandon from a Nigerian immigrant living there. It'll be great to read about jobs, housing, transportation, schools, childcare/daycare, where to get Naija food stuff and any other relevant information the responder is willing to put out.
Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ymin: 12:28am On Dec 13, 2019
Hello ,
Please any one here that wants to rent out or sublet a one bedroom apartment or two rooms in Winnipeg,Manitoba could reach out to me.
Moving in date is Jan 2020.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Freeopod(m): 1:41am On Dec 13, 2019
ladystone:
Hello everyone,

Hung and ai plan to land in Alberta in April. Is there a whatsapp group I can join please ? It would be very helpful.
Also, does anyone know the number of the persons that check jackets in yaba for the cold .

Thanks alot .

Which city in Alberta?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ladystone(f): 6:49am On Dec 13, 2019
Calgary please
Freeopod:

Which city in Alberta?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ladystone(f): 8:20am On Dec 13, 2019
I am also interested in the WhatsApp group please. I land in April
Nozzle:

Hi esterella
I am interested in joining calgary whatsapp group.
Just sent you a pm

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by samsonedos: 9:19am On Dec 13, 2019
ladystone:
I am also interested in the WhatsApp group please. I land in April
Please, am landing in Calgary in February, any info will be appreciated
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 10:09am On Dec 13, 2019
Loneliness wan kill person here o. People no just send, every body just dey face front and this snow self no help matter. This place no just be like naija, everybody just dey mind their business. Abeg how una dey cope with loneliness for una side of Canada?

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 10:13am On Dec 13, 2019
Ligxy:
Talking about boring Xmas, I think it's more boring here in Abuja than anywhere else, I'm not even feeling any Xmas in the air, I've not even heard a single Xmas song on radio or anywhere.
My next Xmas will be in Canada by God's grace.
I will be the one to come and pick you from the airport. Just holla me kiss

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 10:14am On Dec 13, 2019
lynniebabes:
Hello everyone does anyone live around Downtown Toronto?
naija people plenty there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 10:21am On Dec 13, 2019
Richness1104:
i have an urgent question to ask and i'll need you guys to help out. the driving extract should be addressed to who?
I only know that of Ontario and I guess they should be the same except you'll need to change the province. This is how I addressed mine

Ministry of Transportation Ontario (MTO),
c/o Drive Test,
Ontario, Canada

6 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by micluv111: 10:39am On Dec 13, 2019
Enemyofpeace:
Loneliness wan kill person here o. People no just send, every body just dey face front and this snow self no help matter. This place no just be like naija, everybody just dey mind their business. Abeg how una dey cope with loneliness for una side of Canada?

Naso e be for canny land grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 11:01am On Dec 13, 2019
micluv111:

Naso e be for canny land grin
omo e no easy for here o. To talk to woman for here dey even fear me because of the laws. I no wan make any woman accuse me of sexual harassment. I don warn my prick to mind himself and not to expect anything soon as the fear of women for here is the beginning of wisdom

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 11:10am On Dec 13, 2019
19CannyMum:

My dear people earn 6 figure in this Canada o. Annual sha.
how? Pls tell me
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 13, 2019
Anyone here living in BC? Are the bills as expensive as people say
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by primeson1(m): 2:03pm On Dec 13, 2019
I had one year free banking with rbc and after that I was paying $4/month and recently got that waived because I have tfsa with them.

For phone, I’m with freedom and I pay $48 for 8gb

For internet in Calgary I paid $65 for unlimited with Shaw

salford:
My values are average using Alberta and Sask as examples. Cost will vary for provinces and within cities in a province too. e.g rental may be cheaper in Red Deer compared to Calgary. Car Insurance will be cheaper in Winnipeg compared to Toronto.

Minimum Rent: Condo ($1000 and up), House ($1300 and up), sharing rooms - if you are single ($500 and up)
I aded "and up" because cheap housing will come with issues such as pests.

Car finance: $300 (Assuming the car is $18,000 and financed for 5 to 6 years). For starters, better to buy a small car outright.

Car Insurance: $150 (could be more or a little less depending on several factors. e.g premium or 3rd party, your postal code, parked in a garage or street, distance driven, used for Uber, age of driver, winter tires etc

Phone. (around 5 to 7gb): $80

Home Internet (no cable tv): $70

Water (if house): $80

Gas - Home heating (if house): $80

Electricity: $80 (if you love cooking, and also frequently use your oven and electric heaters in winter, then it will be higher)

Petrol: $200 (assuming you drive 20 to 30 min per day and you don't drive an SUV. if you do not have a car, Bus pass: $110)

Tenant Insurance: $20 (some landlords and housing agemcies will ask for it).

Bank fees: $10 and up

11 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Naijaforeigner: 2:44pm On Dec 13, 2019
Enemyofpeace:

Na so the matter be almost everywhere.

Well, on how to meet people, church, schools, Tim Horton, pubs or restaurants, dating apps. The society here seems to favor meeting people virtually than physically.

Forget all that sexual harassment fear... mostly exaggerated. Once you don’t over step boundaries and not rolling with underage girls or those junkies, you cannot be accused of sexually harassing anyone.

Go to pubs, yes white pubs, speak to random people start up conversations with people and don’t be scared of hearing ladies tell you NO. Trust me, most of them are bored as well but you have to be bold to know where, how and the right moment to approach them.

Also, another mistake people make here is trying to meet only Nigerians. We spent over 20 years of our lives with Nigerians why come to Canada and meet only Nigerians again? Meet Indians, Canadians, Jamaicans and this is only possible by going to where these people hang out.

20 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 3:13pm On Dec 13, 2019
primeson1:
I had one year free banking with rbc and after that I was paying $4/month and recently got that waived because I have tfsa with them.

Freedom mobile Sha, I hardly recommend that network. They can affect or change people's destiny cheesy.
I used the rate for Virgin, Koodo and Fido - Quality networks and best bang for your buck.

A $4 account will probably mean you get very few debit transactions a month, maybe 12 at the most. A fee will be charged once you go above the number of transactions allowed. $10 would get an average maybe 25 debit transaction which will be adequate for most people.
(Some banks would waive fees on their Unlimited transaction accounts if you can keep a fixed amount of money in accounts e.g. My bank - Scotia will waive the $15 fee if you always have a minimum monthly balance of $3000 in your current account or $30,000 in one of your savings account).
Another option would be to transact using a CC, but one must be disciplined on CC usage.

That is why I mentioned in one of later comments that you really get what you pay for here. There are great deals but one has to watch out. e.g. I used condo as $1000 but you can also get a condo for as low $650, but one may have to share the apartment with cockroaches or bedbugs.

For the shaw, that could be a contract they lock you in or a 1 year promo - I do not know. Internet plans and packages can be very flexible as they often run promos every now and then.

My post and yours are guides since everyone operates on different budget and have different needs. It is left for people to conduct their own due diligence/research on what might work best for them.

18 Likes 22 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 4:39pm On Dec 13, 2019
Naijaforeigner:

Na so the matter be almost everywhere.

Well, on how to meet people, church, schools, Tim Horton, pubs or restaurants, dating apps. The society here seems to favor meeting people virtually than physically.

Forget all that sexual harassment fear... mostly exaggerated. Once you don’t over step boundaries and not rolling with underage girls or those junkies, you cannot be accused of sexually harassing anyone.

Go to pubs, yes white pubs, speak to random people start up conversations with people and don’t be scared of hearing ladies tell you NO. Trust me, most of them are bored as well but you have to be bold to know where, how and the right moment to approach them.

Also, another mistake people make here is trying to meet only Nigerians. We spent over 20 years of our lives with Nigerians why come to Canada and meet only Nigerians again? Meet Indians, Canadians, Jamaicans and this is only possible by going to where these people hang out.
Thanks bro, I appreciate your advice. God bless you real good.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 5:01pm On Dec 13, 2019
Toronto at night, Merry Christmas all smiley

44 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by princesschuks: 5:22pm On Dec 13, 2019
Blackbuddy:

So beautiful. Merry Christmas to you too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ligxy(f): 6:00pm On Dec 13, 2019
Enemyofpeace:
I will be the one to come and pick you from the airport. Just holla me kiss
Lol, this your offer is suspicious, this wan wey you don dey throway kiss join. I'm a married woman o. A belleful one at that if you know what I mean... Keep that offer for the single ladies. Hehehe..

27 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Everygirl: 6:07pm On Dec 13, 2019
Dear All,

After buying my ticket to Calgary for March, I have now changed my mind oh! It seems there are more jobs in my field in Toronto.

Anyway, please does anyone have an apartment to sublet, share etc from March in Toronto? Close to downtown and public transit please, not GTA please grin

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 6:59pm On Dec 13, 2019
Good evening from Nigeria,
Anyone in Brandon, Manitoba? Do share your experiences please �

SunshineD1:
Hello dear Landed Seniors,
Anyone in Brandon, Manitoba? I'm yet to see/read any relevant information on Brandon from a Nigerian immigrant living there. It'll be great to read about jobs, housing, transportation, schools, childcare/daycare, where to get Naija food stuff and any other relevant information the responder is willing to put out.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oyeleye2011(m): 7:04pm On Dec 13, 2019
Like people used to say BC is Bring Cash. But not everywhere in BC is expensive. The smaller cities are affordable compared to Vancouver, Lower Mainland cities and Island. The only challenge is the job opportunities in these smaller cities. Someone can rent 2 bedroom apartment for $1000 in Prince George which is northern part of BC but less job opportunities compared to Vancouver area.

Tina26:
Anyone here living in BC? Are the bills as expensive as people say
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sanchick: 8:05pm On Dec 13, 2019
Guys in calgary shaw internet available at $55
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Enemyofpeace: 9:16pm On Dec 13, 2019
Ligxy:

Lol, this your offer is suspicious, this wan wey you don dey throway kiss join. I'm a married woman o. A belleful one at that if you know what I mean... Keep that offer for the single ladies. Hehehe..
grin grin

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 9:53pm On Dec 13, 2019
primeson1:

What is tfsa

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by primeson1(m): 11:03pm On Dec 13, 2019
Freedom network is still manageable at least it saves me money.

The rbc account has free 12 debits in a month and $1.25 per debit after. I use credit cards most times...very few times do I use my debit card...so I scale through.

The shaw is a 2 year contract and it was very fast as in super fast unlike the shitty one (Rogers) my landlord is using now.

salford1:

Freedom mobile Sha, I hardly recommend that network. They can affect or change people's destiny cheesy.
I used the rate for Virgin, Koodo and Fido - Quality networks and best bang for your buck.

A $4 account will probably mean you get very few debit transactions a month, maybe 12 at the most. A fee will be charged once you go above the number of transactions allowed. $10 would get an average maybe 25 debit transaction which will be adequate for most people.
(Some banks would waive fees on their Unlimited transaction accounts if you can keep a fixed amount of money in accounts e.g. My bank - Scotia will waive the $15 fee if you always have a minimum monthly balance of $3000 in your current account or $30,000 in one of your savings account).
Another option would be to transact using a CC, but one must be disciplined on CC usage.

That is why I mentioned in one of later comments that you really get what you pay for here. There are great deals but one has to watch out. e.g. I used condo as $1000 but you can also get a condo for as low $650, but one may have to share the apartment with cockroaches or bedbugs.

For the shaw, that could be a contract they lock you in or a 1 year promo - I do not know. Internet plans and packages can be very flexible as they often run promos every now and then.

My post and yours are guides since everyone operates on different budget and have different needs. It is left for people to conduct their own due diligence/research on what might work best for them.

1 Like 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by primeson1(m): 11:03pm On Dec 13, 2019
Jbelieve:

What is tfsa

Tax Free Savings Account

3 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Funky123(f): 11:15pm On Dec 13, 2019
Blackbuddy:

God when����

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 11:20pm On Dec 13, 2019
primeson1:

Tax Free Savings Account

Thanks, was it just waved for you? Or you where selected for it?

(1) (2) (3) ... (262) (263) (264) (265) (266) (267) (268) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: sisit and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.