Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,328 members, 7,780,822 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 11:19 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (286) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2158202 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ginomel(m): 3:53pm On Jan 24, 2020
Scandinavian02:

It is not worth it.

Nigeria and Buhari are the best things that ever happened to humanity after toast bread.

Enjoy.

Not all that glitters is gold. No where is heaven except heaven.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PreciousRuby(f): 5:01pm On Jan 24, 2020
Kindly reach out to me if this is still stuck

oge966:
Any luck with this sister?

I am currently stock on Unilag email verification to WES. They keep telling me that they have not received any email from WES.

I am really confused.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by LolaJames101: 5:42pm On Jan 24, 2020
hello,

Can anyone please share a forum or link or any information on selling clothing items, shoes, etc for those relocating to Canada?

I'd like to list some great items for sale.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by epdcan: 6:41pm On Jan 24, 2020
Search for the thread titled "House clearance sales.. come in here!!!"
Dunno how to drop links sorry.

LolaJames101:
hello,

Can anyone please share a forum or link or any information on selling clothing items, shoes, etc for those relocating to Canada?

I'd like to list some great items for sale.

Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Iambowcreek: 8:29pm On Jan 24, 2020
SunshineD1:

Trickled in on Monday, 5 PPRs
Tuesday 1 PPR
Today 1 PPR

Info from AVO WhatsApp group

Pls who re the ones that got?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Scandinavian02: 8:29pm On Jan 24, 2020
klexycole:

Congratulations, I wish you all the best.

By the way, where's your landing gist? shocked grin

Let me exhume it from the whatsapp group.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 8:32pm On Jan 24, 2020
ademolait:

September last year, we recently moved there and previously staying at Legacy close to Walden SE. It is a new and beautiful community in Calgary. Has cinemas, drug stores, the biggest YMCA and the New hospital, my wife gave birth in there last year. It has been great.

Why do I feel that I know you with all this vivid description. it seems your wife had a baby girl, wears glasses all the time and I met you guys upon Landing at the airport.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Scandinavian02: 8:34pm On Jan 24, 2020
Landing Gist!
Lagos-Cassabalanca- Montreal - Ottawa 18-01-2019

We decided to use this route because the Royal Air Maroc to Cassablanca was relatively cheap and we can also get to Ottawa in 2 hours by bus. The flight itinerary was:
Lagos to Cassablanca - 6:30 to 11am
Cassablanca to Montreal - 5pm to 7pm (Montreal time )

Since my wife was doing soft landing we decided to take the children to my parent’s house after school on Friday and also show one of my boys where to bring the car after dropping us at the Airport on Saturday 18/01 but my mum would not hear anything like she not coming to the airport since we are going to leave by 2.am. I tried to prevail to her that I have already made arrangements for who would drop us off and come back to drop the car and all that. She insisted she would follow us and that’s her tradition for all her children. We left to complete our packing at home, do our scaling and worship and at past 1am mum drove into our home so we can all leave by 2am.

We arrived MMIA at about 3am with 4 Nos 23kg Musibau’s bags, 2 hand luggage and one laptop bag which was fully stuffed. We had a total of 7 bags, my wife bought a big travelling bag she called hand luggage and they refused to accept it cos it won’t go into the upper compartment, so we had to buy a small GMG for #700 and moved her things there.

Once the Agric guys sighted us at MMIA, they requested we moved our bags to their section and since I was travelling with a lot of foodstuff, I paid #2000 and got receipt.

We proceeded to weigh our bags and noticed some even weighing as much as 26kg sef Mogbeee. This woman has killed me with load! Na so we start permutations and combinations and finally arrived at:
First Musibau’s bag: 23.8kg
Second: 23.6kg
Third: 23.8kg
Last: 23.4kg
Hand luggage 1: 10.2kg
Hand luggage 2: 10.4kg
Backpack that had our laptops wasn’t weighed. We sha checked them in and squared the woman 1k. When I turned to leave, one of them asked why I had hand luggage and backpack and called the woman I already squared 1k, she just told me in case of next time, don’t do it ooooo.

Gave customs #200 and immigration #400. Wifey already changed plenty #200 for them sef.

Boarded at about 5am and you can’t be in Naija without any sort of drama at all, we noticed that the upper compartment was full to the brim and this man was seated at 13C had his luggage in the compartment of a woman on 16B, she say she no go gree oo and kassala bursted cos there was no where for her hand luggage. The man and woman begin fight and abuse each other till crew enter come separate them. The flight to Cassablanca was uneventful as plane was an old one and the food was crappy. Thank God we had our snacks although I enjoyed their yogurt sha. We landed Cassablanca at about 11am and the weather was so nice at 18degrees+sunshine.
We stayed at the lounge with WIFI till 4pm when we boarded our 8-hour flight to Montreal.

We took off at about 5.45pm and touched down Montreal at 7.45pm (Montreal Time). The plane was newer bigger and more comfortable. It was a boing 747 or so with a screen for each person, I watched BODYGUARD, SALT then blasted jams from my village sister Celina Odiong (Celine Dion) and slept off. The food was just there but I enjoyed the snacks and drinks. In Montreal, I loved the English and French interplay, almost every official could speak both, once they speak French and you respond in English, they switch to English. We joined the queue and uses the self service point to scan our passports and complete the declaration, got our printout and moved to Immigration. They officer then beckoned us to Border service but we missed that and rather went to the carousel for our luggage, after getting our luggage, we went through other checks and saw ourselves facing exit from airport, na so I shout madam, dem never sign our COPR and see us going out of the airport, village people cannot win me when I don reach Canada, We made a U-turn and guys, these people are very helpful, everyone wants to assist you. We explained to an officer who was so shocked to see us get to that point without our passport stamped in or our COpr signed. She took us back to the Immigration, customs and border services and did the explanation, they searched us and took us back to where we missed it but kept out luggage at their office.

Immigration and Border service asked if we have ever been convicted or refused entry into Canada. Asked when our children are coming. Talked on when and how to apply for child benefit for my children. Advised me not to courier the PR card but should send it through a trusted person so it doesn’t get missing. Requested for an estimate of what we brought into Canada. Asked if we have GTF and would bring other items. Cancelled our immigrants visa and explained that henceforth, it is PR Card or PR visa. We signed our COPR and uttered those nice and scintillating words “ Congratulations, you are now permanent residents of Canada. Welcome to Canada and have fun.” She didn’t take my sister’s address for the PR card but advised that I fill it online, I asked why and she said some people don’t have addresses when they land so they decided PRs should go to the cic site and do it themselves. They Customs/Agric asked again if we had foodstuff and I said No, but herbs and spices. He asked specifically if I had fish? I said yes, dried fish but nothing was searched.

By the time we were done, it was 10pm and our Grey hound bus to Ottawa for 9pm has already left, thank God say we never pay. The next was to be by 12midnight so we waited. We made our first friend, Paschal who just arrived from Gabon with a study visa for an undergraduate programme in UOttawa but speaks French and a smattering English. He was almost refused entry and was delayed but was later cleared and missed his bus to Ottawa too, so we all chilled together in the Airport. We got talking and realized we were on the same flight from Cassablanca. Our 12 midnight bus was cancelled due to weather and have to wait till 4am for the next bus to Ottawa. We were later to understand that that bus won’t show up till 11am cos the weather is really bad. So this same black guy who gave us this info asked if we are willing to go downtown with his truck and just give him something for gas. Three of us jumped at the offer and moved our luggage to the truck. He gisted us how he’s been here for 21 years and still not used to the weather. Asked us our country and when he heard Nigeria and Gabon switched the Jams to Davido, Olamide etc. We got to Downtown and gave him CAD30 for his troubles. At 7.30 we got a greyhound bust to Ottawa and my sister was at the bus station to pick us while pascal waited for his friend to pick him to Gatineau.

Canada at last! This country will favour us.

76 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 8:44pm On Jan 24, 2020
Scandinavian02:
Landing Gist!

We decided to use this route because the Royal Air Maroc to Cassablanca was relatively cheap and we can also get to Ottawa in 2 hours by bus. The flight itinerary was:

Since my wife was doing soft landing we decided to take the children to my parent’s house after school on Friday and also show one of my boys where to bring the car after dropping us at the Airport on Saturday 18/01 but my mum would not hear anything like she not coming to the airport since we are going to leave by 2.am. I tried to prevail to her that I have already made arrangements for who would drop us off and come back to drop the car and all that. She insisted she would follow us and that’s her tradition for all her children. We left to complete our packing at home, do our scaling and worship and at past 1am mum drove into our home so we can all leave by 2am.

We arrived MMIA at about 3am with 4 Nos 23kg Musibau’s bags, 2 hand luggage and one laptop bag which was fully stuffed. We had a total of 7 bags, my wife bought a big travelling bag she called hand luggage and they refused to accept it cos it won’t go into the upper compartment, so we had to buy a small GMG for #700 and moved her things there.

Once the Agric guys sighted us at MMIA, they requested we moved our bags to their section and since I was travelling with a lot of foodstuff, I paid #2000 and got receipt.

We proceeded to weigh our bags and noticed some even weighing as much as 26kg sef Mogbeee. This woman has killed me with load! Na so we start permutations and combinations and finally arrived at:
First Musibau’s bag: 23.8kg
Second: 23.6kg
Third: 23.8kg
Last: 23.4kg
Hand luggage 1: 10.2kg
Hand luggage 2: 10.4kg
Backpack that had our laptops wasn’t weighed. We sha checked them in and squared the woman 1k. When I turned to leave, one of them asked why I had hand luggage and backpack and called the woman I already squared 1k, she just told me in case of next time, don’t do it ooooo.

Gave customs #200 and immigration #400. Wifey already changed plenty #200 for them sef.

Boarded at about 5am and you can’t be in Naija without any sort of drama at all, we noticed that the upper compartment was full to the brim and this man was seated at 13C had his luggage in the compartment of a woman on 16B, she say she no go gree oo and kassala bursted cos there was no where for her hand luggage. The man and woman begin fight and abuse each other till crew enter come separate them. The flight to Cassablanca was uneventful as plane was an old one and the food was crappy. Thank God we had our snacks although I enjoyed their yogurt sha. We landed Cassablanca at about 11am and the weather was so nice at 18degrees+sunshine.
We stayed at the lounge with WIFI till 4pm when we boarded our 8-hour flight to Montreal.

We took off at about 5.45pm and touched down Montreal at 7.45pm (Montreal Time). The plane was newer bigger and more comfortable. It was a boing 747 or so with a screen for each person, I watched BODYGUARD, SALT then blasted jams from my village sister Celina Odiong (Celine Dion) and slept off. The food was just there but I enjoyed the snacks and drinks. In Montreal, I loved the English and French interplay, almost every official could speak both, once they speak French and you respond in English, they switch to English. We joined the queue and uses the self service point to scan our passports and complete the declaration, got our printout and moved to Immigration. They officer then beckoned us to Border service but we missed that and rather went to the carousel for our luggage, after getting our luggage, we went through other checks and saw ourselves facing exit from airport, na so I shout madam, dem never sign our COPR and see us going out of the airport, village people cannot win me when I don reach Canada, We made a U-turn and guys, these people are very helpful, everyone wants to assist you. We explained to an officer who was so shocked to see us get to that point without our passport stamped in or our COpr signed. She took us back to the Immigration, customs and border services and did the explanation, they searched us and took us back to where we missed it but kept out luggage at their office.

Immigration and Border service asked if we have ever been convicted or refused entry into Canada. Asked when our children are coming. Talked on when and how to apply for child benefit for my children. Advised me not to courier the PR card but should send it through a trusted person so it doesn’t get missing. Requested for an estimate of what we brought into Canada. Asked if we have GTF and would bring other items. Cancelled our immigrants visa and explained that henceforth, it is PR Card or PR visa. We signed our COPR and uttered those nice and scintillating words “ Congratulations, you are now permanent residents of Canada. Welcome to Canada and have fun.” She didn’t take my sister’s address for the PR card but advised that I fill it online, I asked why and she said some people don’t have addresses when they land so they decided PRs should go to the cic site and do it themselves. They Customs/Agric asked again if we had foodstuff and I said No, but herbs and spices. He asked specifically if I had fish? I said yes, dried fish but nothing was searched.

By the time we were done, it was 10pm and our Grey hound bus to Ottawa for 9pm has already left, thank God say we never pay. The next was to be by 12midnight so we waited. We made our first friend, Paschal who just arrived from Gabon with a study visa for an undergraduate programme in UOttawa but speaks French and a smattering English. He was almost refused entry and was delayed but was later cleared and missed his bus to Ottawa too, so we all chilled together in the Airport. We got talking and realized we were on the same flight from Cassablanca. Our 12 midnight bus was cancelled due to weather and have to wait till 4am for the next bus to Ottawa. We were later to understand that that bus won’t show up till 11am cos the weather is really bad. So this same black guy who gave us this info asked if we are willing to go downtown with his truck and just give him something for gas. Three of us jumped at the offer and moved our luggage to the truck. He gisted us how he’s been here for 21 years and still not used to the weather. Asked us our country and when he heard Nigeria and Gabon switched the Jams to Davido, Olamide etc. We got to Downtown and gave him CAD30 for his troubles. At 7.30 we got a greyhound bust to Ottawa and my sister was at the bus station to pick us while pascal waited for his friend to pick him to Gatineau.

Canada at last! This country will favour us.

Congrats mehn, hope you have started learning the Canadian Anthem.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 9:32pm On Jan 24, 2020
Iambowcreek:

Pls who re the ones that got?

I don't know them except that they're in AVO WhatsApp group and their AOR is a far back as late 2018 and early 2019.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by chilinkenergy: 10:15pm On Jan 24, 2020
Hi guys,

Anyone staying in Calgary,Edmonton, Fort Mc Murray, anywhere in Alberta, we're running promo on gas and electricity bills at guaranteed prices for 5 years. No contract, no exit fees

Our prices go as low as $50-90 per month. You can reach us (Chika/Blessing) on 403 812 2162 ext 129 or send me your number via inbox and I'll sign your place up. Abeg, make una reach out make dem no pursue una sister from work.

https://linkenergy.com/info

Thank you

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by emmatrack(m): 10:19pm On Jan 24, 2020
Good day seniors. Kudos for the vital information being continually shared here.
My friend (post ppr but not landed) just realised he made a mistake of not including some of his family members while submitting the EE application due to network problems (he said). I understand the major implication of such error is the inability to sponsor the omitted siblings/parents in future but he also fear it could be deemed as misrepresentation. How true is this, please?
Notwithstanding, how can this be rectified, if possible at all, and how can he go about it?
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 12:35am On Jan 25, 2020
Scandinavian02:
Landing Gist!

Welcome to Canada.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Cosdam1: 1:53am On Jan 25, 2020
Hi people, there is a beautiful bright basement suite available. It’s a 1 Bedroom with dining & living area. It has a separate (side) entrance and parking for 1 car. The living area has a Sofa & coffee table. There is a dining table with chairs. The bedroom has a queen-sized mattress. The bathroom is head over shower. The suite is semi furnished- Fridge, Kitchenette with two burner stove (no Oven), microwave, basic dishes, pots/pan and access to laundry.
This basement suite is situated in South West Calgary. There are 2 CT train stations nearby (5 and 10 minutes’ walk), with a couple of bus stops littered around. The Westbrook Mall (housing Walmart, Dollarama, Family Doctor among other Stores and food outlets) and Nicholls (Public) Library are also nearby. There are also a couple of Banks (RBC, Scotia & TD) in the vicinity. Calgary Police Service, Fire Department and a Registry are less than 5 mins away.
This is available for a monthly contribution of CAD 900 inclusive of the following amenities (Internet, water, heating, electricity).
Please note that smoking (of any kind) and pets are not allowed.
The place is available now. If interested, kindly contact me directly

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Echinedu1: 2:23am On Jan 25, 2020
Echinedu1:
PLEASE I NEED ADVICE From financial expert and experienced people please how can i invest 50,000cad in Toronto to make profit or what business or best i can do with the money in canada ..it just on my account over a year now

i need advice my people
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bily(m): 3:36am On Jan 25, 2020
Echinedu1:

i need advice my people
Why not discuss with your bank and weigh the options provided to you.

Better the money sits in your account than to lose it.

Number 1 rule of investment is to never invest money you can't afford to lose
Number 2 rule is to always remember rule 1

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by deTimo: 9:08am On Jan 25, 2020
salford:

Nigeria's case is complex, and I sometimes find it hard to wrap my head around it.
Government scams the people and do not spend money on maintenance of aged infrastructure, and when they manage to supply the power sef, you have lots of people who also steal electricity.

Nigeria's budget for power in 2020 is circa $453m for a country with population of close to 200m. This is around the same amount the senators allocate to themselves per year.

A province in Canada with a population of around 1m people would budget and use up around $830m per year on power.

I still keep raking my head to even comprehend when we will start to use appropriate benchmark in Nigeria.

Mr Salford, longest time. How is winter treating you. Trust you are doing great.

Knock, knock, just checking on you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by emmatrack(m): 9:13am On Jan 25, 2020
Scandinavian02:
Landing Gist!

Congratulations on landing in your new home. Can a PR (pnp nominee) also land in Montreal and then take bus or train to their final destination? Hope it wouldn't raise any issue?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lade3313: 9:21am On Jan 25, 2020
Oyeleye can we have a private chat please.. I just sent a mail request

snoop4dem:
well as much as I agree with everything you have written, people dont think BC is expensive. It actually is expensive to live in. I used to live in Victoria before moving to Vancouver and I can tell you that the cost and standard of living is very high compared to my friends in other cities. From housing to Insurance, to gas prices, etc... trust me it is on the high side compared to other places and the assumption is that the weather is fantastic and which is what has been driving the prices of things up in this places. e.g a person could be paing 400- 600 CAd for a room in any other province but might have to cough out at least 800 or more in BC for the same room and with stiff competition. People in Calgary can afford to buy houses for like 350-500k in the long term. In BC you wont get a house on the average for less than a million. I live here and I still live here and it is a super nice city if you have a stable job et all but the standard of living is high. But look on the bright side, it is very beautiful and you will know that you are in canada in BC
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Scandinavian02: 11:33am On Jan 25, 2020
emmatrack:

Congratulations on landing in your new home. Can a PR (pnp nominee) also land in Montreal and then take bus or train to their final destination? Hope it wouldn't raise any issue?

A PNP nominee cannot land anywhere except the Province that nominated him.

I am a FSW and can land anywhere in Canada.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:43am On Jan 25, 2020
Scandinavian02:

A PNP nominee cannot land anywhere except the Province that nominated him.

I am a FSW and can land anywhere in Canada.
not true. A pnp can land anywhere and use bus or rail

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Scandinavian02: 11:56am On Jan 25, 2020
Kekereekun123:

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 12:21pm On Jan 25, 2020
Kekereekun123:
Landing in Quebec can be a little tricky actually.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by epdcan: 12:49pm On Jan 25, 2020
Yes you can.
Let them know Quebec is NOT your final destination.
You are good to go.

emmatrack:

Can a PR (pnp nominee) also land in Montreal and then take bus or train to their final destination? Hope it wouldn't raise any issue?

It has been established earlier in the thread that this is permitted.

Fortissimo502:

Landing in Quebec can be a little tricky actually.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:56pm On Jan 25, 2020
Blackbuddy:

I've been informed by those who went for passport renewal recently in Ottawa that they are not strict with the dates. Just show up with your print out, proof of payment and you should be done in about 3 to 4 hours. Have a safe trip.
True

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:09pm On Jan 25, 2020
bezimo:

I know a few Total managers wey their family dey Canada.Lol .Another of my former boss in Total was asking me how far on the matter. Lol Why would dey leave their high paying job to come and start again in Canada..nah.
If you work in Shell,Total,Chevron or Exxonmobil it is not worth leaving Nigeria to Canada to start again.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:10pm On Jan 25, 2020
DexterousOne:

It's common sense

$135k when you are above 40 years
It's BETTER you remain in our beloved Shithole.

But send your kids over there

But if you are like us that are still relatively young and unmarried, and haven't gone that far career wise
Running away from Naija is a sure bet
grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:14pm On Jan 25, 2020
salford:

Apparently this may be one of the many reasons why the federal skills program was revamped to favour younger applicants early in their careers. In previous programs, the application favoured older applicants with many years of experience, and it was often difficult for them to start all over again after arriving in the country. Few were lucky and get back to the same position they were back home.

As per oil workers. This has been going on for a while for foreign oil sector employees from outside Canada. I had two naija oil workers in the neighborhood some years ago. They left their familes in Canada and returned to work in naija. They visit often to check up on the family. While I have no idea how much they were making or how hard it was on the family having the breadwinner outside the country, but I can tell they were doing okay. Wives not working, kids in private schools and owned big homes in rich areas of Calgary (they would have paid at least a 30% down payment on like 800k and above houses, since their jobs were outside Canada - the rules then).

I believe more oil sector employees would have even left the country (Canada) since the oil downturn.
In addition, for that amount of earnings in Nigeria, tax would be around 10%. In Canada, earnings of that amount of wage would be around 30 to 38% deductions depending on province. Overall, I would pick peace of mind or other basic things in life over take home earnings.
They pay off their mortgage faster in Canada from their earning in Nigeria due to the low tax rate. And after age 45 year and 15 years of service they are eligible for pension in the oil companies. Nigerian oil workers that work for oil majors enjoy some of the best pay and pension in the world.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:23pm On Jan 25, 2020
bezimo:

I always humorously thought

Those imigrating to Canada as permanent residents are like full time staff at Total E&P

Those in Canada on work permit either through direct application or after study are like contract staff with Total E&P

Those on study permit and visas are like interns at Total E&P

grin grin
LMAO...only the contracts staff migrate to Canada to work. The full time time staff send their families to Canada, so they don't pay expensive international tuition fees. With their pension and wise investments they can retire at 50-55 and move to Canada to join their families.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jan 25, 2020
Ginomel:
Sorry for my question please.

I am processing my entry into Canada. But from my reading here, it seems like even in Canada one goes through stress.

Is it a case of one stress in naija (security, power, etc) to another stress in Canada (Cold, expenses, taxes etc)

I am beginning to wonder if the relocation to Canada worth it.

Someone should tell me the truth please
It is not worth it if your earning the naira equivalent of $100k-$150k. You will have to start from scratch and do some schooling again or have to recertify your credentials which can take years.

Most immigrants start of doing blue collar jobs with low pay $25k-$50k (cashier,factory worker,admin assistant etc) only enough to pay rent,car insurance,fuel and feed yourself after tax with little savings even if your frugal. It can years to get a white collar job that pays well in the range of $60k-120k on average.

Some new Nigeria immigrants are working in Amazon with Engineering backgrounds doing manual labour, stocking the orders in factories for customers. The first few years will be a struggle because you have to start from the bottom, despite your years of experience.

One thing you are guaranteed is security. You can sleep with your two eyes closed.

Canada is still the land of opportunity, you work hard and you will reap the rewards. There a many Nigerians that are in the top percentile earning $100k-150k which is the amount every household hopes attain. Husband and wife have to work to bring food to the table and pay for good life the country has to offer.

Life is expensive in Canada, the average Condo price is $180k- $200k and the average house is $250k. This is an amount many spend 10-30 years paying off, due to the high tax rate.

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 1:33pm On Jan 25, 2020
I have a very quick and sharp question. I would be glad if someone could explain to me.

So, i was talking with an agent regarding immigrating to canada. I just finished my service last year. He said i can migrate and work there without going via school route.

Please is this possible? if yes, how?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:07pm On Jan 25, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
I have a very quick and sharp question. I would be glad if someone could explain to me.

So, i was talking with an agent regarding immigrating to canada. I just finished my service last year. He said i can migrate and work there without going via school route.

Please is this possible? if yes, how?
work for 2 more years and also get a masters you are good to go with a good ielts scores. Stay away from the so called agent

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (708) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.