Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,590 members, 7,809,136 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:55 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (289) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182648 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lifeevents: 10:37pm On Jan 27, 2020
canadaman18:

First and foremost set aside your emergency fund(this should be enough for 3-6months if you had no other source of income).. around 10K is good for this. Put this in a High Interest Savings Account

Check how much contribution you have in your TFSA and RRSP via CRA website , fill that up and then purchase index funds that appeal to you OR if you don’t want to stress yourself at all get a Roboadvisor that will invest for you . Any interest through this means is tax free or tax deferred

Do the same with whatever is left except this time you’re not tax sheltered..

Once the money grows a bit start looking into real estate, buy somewhere you can renovate and start renting out

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lifeevents: 10:38pm On Jan 27, 2020
iaatmguy:
07034652303 musibau
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by A14: 11:01pm On Jan 27, 2020
Echinedu1:

Both long and short terms then l can decide what best
For short term you can look at GICs.

For long term investments you can look at buying ETFs. If you want to be a DIY investor, you can start by reading The Value of Simple (2nd Ed) by John Robertson. It’s not difficult handle your investments yourself.
There are other options like robo advisors (e.g Wealthsimple and Nest Wealth) which make things easier but note that you pay more.
Please don’t walk into a bank and tell them you want to invest, they’ll most likely sell their product to you (high fees).

Do you plan on making any major purchases in the near future e.g down payment for a house. If you are, you can also save that money in a HISA like EQ bank, their interest rate is 2.45% currently or buy GICs. There’s no harm in investing the money you plan to use as a down payment in ETFs but there’s also no guarantee that the market won’t be down when you’re ready to pull your cash.

I hope this makes sense a little.

P.S. Millionaire Teacher 2nd Ed by Andrew Hallam is also a great read.

19 Likes 33 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by A14: 11:14pm On Jan 27, 2020
inafix2019:
Good day!
Please for a family of 4 with no family or "close" friends in Canada, whose initial main focus is "settling down" (basically to start working in entry level positions and not deplete POF, then later face regulated professions licensing), kindly assist to offer advise on the best landing city.
Presently considering Manitoba, Edmonton and Calgary, based on my online research on the cost of living.
Please kindly advise and help us make a final informed decision.
Thanks.

I don’t know much about Manitoba.
Cost of living in Edmonton is lower than Calgary. I also think you’re likely to get a job in Edmonton faster than in Calgary. This is based on family and friends that have landed in both cities.

10 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by inafix2019: 11:21pm On Jan 27, 2020
Thanks for your response!

safex:
You may need to consider level of coldness too grin cheesy

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by inafix2019: 11:23pm On Jan 27, 2020
Thanks a lot for your response!

I really appreciate.

A14:

I don’t know much about Manitoba.
Cost of living in Edmonton is lower than Calgary. I also think you’re likely to get a job in Edmonton faster than in Calgary. This is based on family and friends that have landed in both cities.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Selzsky(f): 6:56am On Jan 28, 2020
As someone who has flown both in recent times, If you can cough out the difference of 100k please do. Ethiopian Airline is better.

bekayy:
I am with you o. Stuck btw Ethiopian and Egypt. The diff is about N100,000, that's enough to help me prepare. I have heard abt bad reviews for Egypt. I really don't know. A day's journey shouldn't be spent in an eventful airline. I have used Ethiopian before and loved it, like any intl airline but last March dey make me fear.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lifeevents: 8:10am On Jan 28, 2020
Please what is ETF, GICs etc
A14:

For short term you can look at GICs.

For long term investments you can look at buying ETFs. If you want to be a DIY investor, you can start buy reading The Value of Simple (2nd Ed) by John Robertson. It’s not difficult handle your investments yourself.
I hope this makes sense a little.

P.S. Millionaire Teacher 2nd Ed by Andrew Hallam is also a great read.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kpnick: 10:10am On Jan 28, 2020
bekayy:
I am with you o. Stuck btw Ethiopian and Egypt. The diff is about N100,000, that's enough to help me prepare. I have heard abt bad reviews for Egypt. I really don't know. A day's journey shouldn't be spent in an eventful airline. I have used Ethiopian before and loved it, like any intl airline but last March dey make me fear.

I am travelling in a few weeks, I have already booked Egypt air. What bad reviews did u hear?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 10:30am On Jan 28, 2020
Good morning fellow Canadians, I hope I can get info here.

My crs is currently 467, while I'm expecting my spouse ECA from Wes by next month to move us up to 475, I'm overly optimistic that I will be in Canny by yearend.

I want to find out career prospects and what I can start doing from here to land me a suitable job.
I have seven years experience in banking as a relationship manager, I also have first to third degrees in economics. So I have flair in banking and teaching/academics, how can break into any of these sectors, what certifications do I need? What other jobs are open to me?
In general, what should I start doing here in Nigeria?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prost80(m): 11:54am On Jan 28, 2020
Hello All,

Long time,pls I will be landing in Edmonton soon. How can I be added to the Edmonton group? Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 12:17pm On Jan 28, 2020
kpnick:

I am travelling in a few weeks, I have already booked Egypt air. What bad reviews did u hear?

Binning of fishes at Cairo Airport. They usually have a list and call the person out. I read all this on this thread. Search and read about it too
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bekayy: 12:40pm On Jan 28, 2020
Airlines aren't kept clean, sometimes there is no entertainment, staff may be rude..the reviewd are online and these have been seconded here. Hopefully, yours would be okay.

I'm sticking to Ethioipan Airlines. U didn't even waste time. Shap shap. U don go. haaaa

kpnick:

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kinglee007(m): 2:35pm On Jan 28, 2020
hayor2014:
How do people in Calgary/Edmonton send items to people back home without having to wait for someone who is travelling ?

Is there a cargo/Courier for small items ? e.g Laptops, footwears e.t.c

Who knows about Cargo/Courier business back to naija ( one need to consider this thing for side business), Consider the market and the profitability of it.

hi, i can be of help. Been working at the cargo section at the airport for more than 8 years wit vast experience in the air cargo business. Worked with Nahco Aviance for 5 years, retired and started a cargo business of my own. Would be glad 2 help. Call +2349013515050. Hope 2 hear from you soon.

13 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:54pm On Jan 28, 2020
slydog:
Good morning fellow Canadians, I hope I can get info here.

My crs is currently 467, while I'm expecting my spouse ECA from Wes by next month to move us up to 475, I'm overly optimistic that I will be in Canny by yearend.

I want to find out career prospects and what I can start doing from here to land me a suitable job.
I have seven years experience in banking as a relationship manager, I also have first to third degrees in economics. So I have flair in banking and teaching/academics, how can break into any of these sectors, what certifications do I need? What other jobs are open to me?
In general, what should I start doing here in Nigeria?

By third degree you mean PhD?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by slydog(m): 2:55pm On Jan 28, 2020
19CannyMum:

By third degree you mean PhD?

Yes mum
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prost80(m): 3:12pm On Jan 28, 2020
Hello All, please for those of us coming to Alberta( edmonton), can we use bank statement as proof of address? And can the address be an address of a friends place we will be staying? Please I want clarification

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by A14: 5:09pm On Jan 28, 2020
Seeing lots of career fair ads. Just wondering if anyone has gotten a job from one of them.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by bezimo(m): 5:52pm On Jan 28, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:

LMAO...only the contracts staff migrate to Canada to work. The full time time staff send their families to Canada, so they don't pay expensive international tuition fees. With their pension and wise investments they can retire at 50-55 and move to Canada to join their families.

My statement comparing the 3 categories of Total and Canada Immigrants was very figurative not literal like you took it..of course I know that having been in the system.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zhuhilat: 6:00pm On Jan 28, 2020
Hello guys, pls how cold is Winnipeg manitoba? Also any idea on the cost of living? Thanks guys
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by A14: 6:07pm On Jan 28, 2020
lifeevents:
Please what is ETF, GICs etc

A GIC (guaranteed investment certificate) is a safe and secure investment with very little risk. You don’t have to worry about losing your money because it is guaranteed.

A GIC works like a savings account in that you deposit money into it and earn interest on that money. The difference is that you need to leave your money in a GIC account for a specified period of time. If you take it out early, you may have to pay a penalty – depending on the type of GIC you own.

When you buy a GIC, you are agreeing to lend the bank or financial institution your money for a specified number of months or for up to 5 years. In exchange, your money will earn interest. The longer the term, the more interest you earn. At the end of the term, you get the entire amount you deposited plus the interest.

An ETF (Exchange-Traded Fund) is a type of investment product that owns and manages an underlying basket of assets (stocks, bonds, commodities, derivatives, etc.) and divides the ownership of those assets into individual shares.

VFVF.TO is an ETF that holds 500 large-cap US companies in the US. One might be better of buying this ETF than buying single stocks of Microsoft or Apple. This is because VFV holds both stocks and 498 more (Amazon, Facebook .....) which makes your portfolio more diverse.

I don’t know if any of this make sense but if you want to know more you’d have to read.

P.S. VFV.TO is the stock symbol for the Vanguard S&P 500 Index ETF on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSX).

25 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 7:12pm On Jan 28, 2020
kingkhalil:
Hello Seniors. Good to be here. Got my PPR and looking to land with my family around Summer, but i have a couple of questions. First, wifey and I want to settle in Alberta. Is the Calgary Airport a Port of Entry or we do Toronto Pearson? Also, I'll need some help with flight deals and all the good stuff. Thank you!

I was like you 3yrs back, so my chosen province was Alberta with Calgary as destination, I got a ticket that was to Land in Calgary but along the line Lufthansa re-routed me via Toronto. So Toronto became my port of entry and that reflected in my PR card. which is a non issue. to answer your question, the only province you might have an issue is Quebec, but if you have an onward ticket to your final stop then you're good to go. But from Lagos.. Lufthansa, British Airways and KLM fly in directly to Calgary. a bit pricey tho
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SunshineD1: 8:24pm On Jan 28, 2020
*Latest Pearson Airport news*:

- Flights *to and fro* from China, Japan, Phillipines, North Korea or South Korea is cancelled for next 15 days.

- Flight might gets delay for passenger coming via UK to Canada due to strict health checking on all UK airports.

- After the plane is landed on toronto airport it may take almost 1- 2 hours for pasenger to come outside of gate due to health check ups.

- If you are travelling for any International flights please arrive airport before 4 hours (for your medical check ups and all scanning processes)

- 100% foods will be banned from March 1st onwards for all flights.( carry on or in luggage by bags as well.)[color=#990000][/color]

People landing around then should note o. What will we eat nah. Which kind virus come wan pour sand sand for immigrants garri cry

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jesusbaby01: 9:01pm On Jan 28, 2020
prost80:
Hello All, please for those of us coming to Alberta( edmonton), can we use bank statement as proof of address? And can the address be an address of a friends place we will be staying? Please I want clarification

You don't need proof of address at POE, except things have changed. Yes you can use a friends address, but your SIN(social insurance number) will probably have that address on as well as bank, telephone etc until you have your own permanent address. they just google the address to e sure it exists cos the plan is to send your PR card there
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by prost80(m): 9:19pm On Jan 28, 2020
jesusbaby01:

You don't need proof of address at POE, except things have changed. Yes you can use a friends address, but your SIN(social insurance number) will probably have that address on as well as bank, telephone etc until you have your own permanent address. they just google the address to e sure it exists cos the plan is to send your PR card there

Hello, I have done soft landing, I am asking about processing driving license in Alberta as I am coming fully now. Can I use my statement sent to my address as proof of address for driving license
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 11:18pm On Jan 28, 2020
canadaman18:

First and foremost set aside your emergency fund(this should be enough for 3-6months if you had no other source of income).. around 10K is good for this. Put this in a High Interest Savings Account

Check how much contribution you have in your TFSA and RRSP via CRA website , fill that up and then purchase index funds that appeal to you OR if you don’t want to stress yourself at all get a Roboadvisor that will invest for you . Any interest through this means is tax free or tax deferred

Do the same with whatever is left except this time you’re not tax sheltered..

Once the money grows a bit start looking into real estate, buy somewhere you can renovate and start renting out

Thanks for sharing. Is there a way to bookmark posts?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Outlier123: 12:09am On Jan 29, 2020
DPizzy:
Hi guys,
I'd like to ask if anyone here could kindly help with or provide a refferal for banking job. I've completed the CSC course certification and I'm based in Toronto by the way.
Thanks!

Hi dpizzy, can you pls link me with the process of writing the csc?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 1:03am On Jan 29, 2020
slydog:

Yes mum

You know book o. Kai!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 2:10am On Jan 29, 2020
Yes to both questions.
prost80:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:36am On Jan 29, 2020
Dollywood:
Why don't I see anyone landing or living in Quebec is that place not favorable for nigerians?, because I'm about to join my father there next month.
If you don't speak French in Quebec you will struggle in the workplace and settling down there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 5:06am On Jan 29, 2020
Zhuhilat:
Hello guys, pls how cold is Winnipeg manitoba? Also any idea on the cost of living? Thanks guys
Canada is a cold country, any province you go to is cold.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 5:08am On Jan 29, 2020
NaijaCanadian28:

Canada is a cold country, any province you go to is cold.
It is cold 8 months out of the year in Canada. If you are looking for warm weather move to the United States.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (286) (287) (288) (289) (290) (291) (292) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.