Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,295 members, 7,808,003 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 02:20 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (316) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2181912 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maryjude: 6:17am On Apr 02, 2020
Unlimited22:
That thread don full now now?

Please, i need guidelines on how to succeed in the express entry application. What are the most important to boost my points?
OmoyePOB:
Hello, I have a fully furnished room and bath for anyone coming to Calgary. It is on month to month basis. Please contact me if interested. Regards.
Please, can u guide me on my express entry application? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:17am On Apr 02, 2020
maryjude:

Please, i need guidelines on how to succeed in the express entry application. What are the most important to boost my points?
https://www.nairaland.com/5471101/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled start from page 1

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:18am On Apr 02, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

I have a few questions i would like to ask. I just got admitted into MASc in oil and gas engineering (course based). I hold a first degree from Nigeria, Mechanical Engineering.

How is the oil and gas industry in canada? can i practice as an engineer after my masters program? Thanks as i anticipate your response.

PS: i was admitted to Memorial University of Newfoundland.
focus on getting visa first. If you must know the oil and gas industry every in the world is taking a beating
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maryjude: 6:46am On Apr 02, 2020
Please, i need help on how to migrate to Canada through EE. What are the most important things to provide to boost my points? Thanks all
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 6:49am On Apr 02, 2020
maryjude:
Please, i need help on how to migrate to Canada through EE. What are the most important things to provide to boost my points? Thanks all
visit the express entry thread

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 7:12am On Apr 02, 2020
salford1:

If you are no longer interested in the education route, and do not want to spend a long time in school, your options would be to go for a diploma or masters in a technical (e.g Civil) or IT field. Trades are good because you only attend college for maybe 2 to 3 months in a year for 3 to 4 years while still getting paid. Most trades pay a decent wage and there is demand. Go for whichever one sparks your interest.

However, do not waive your education qualifications aside. It might still be useful in the future. I am now thinking of getting a certificate in Education via online studies even though I am on an Engineering career path..

Good day. I have a question to ask.

Someone said it is impossible to practice as an engineer in canada if your first degree is not from canada, france, texas, etc. How true is it?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 7:28am On Apr 02, 2020
salford1:
The west still loves oil.. Producers (majorly non big oil) operating in the Bakken Shale oil field (Bakken formation - Sask, Montana, N.Dakota and Manitoba) are still breaking even.

N. Dakota is in USA right?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by XX01(f): 7:53am On Apr 02, 2020
Kekereekun123:
focus on getting visa first. If you must know the oil and gas industry every in the world is taking a beating

And Canadian oil is taking a worse beating. Price of Canadian crude is about $7 per barrel.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 9:23am On Apr 02, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:
Good morning,

I have a few questions i would like to ask. I just got admitted into MASc in oil and gas engineering (course based). I hold a first degree from Nigeria, Mechanical Engineering.

How is the oil and gas industry in canada? can i practice as an engineer after my masters program? Thanks as i anticipate your response.

PS: i was admitted to Memorial University of Newfoundland.
Why msc in Oil and Gas though? Msc in Mechanical would have been a better option in my opinion - more diversified discipline. However, you maybe able to switch after you start your program in O&G.

NwanyiOkpa:

N. Dakota is in USA right?
Yes. Just south of Manitoba and Saskatchewan

NwanyiOkpa:

Someone said it is impossible to practice as an engineer in canada if your first degree is not from canada, france, texas, etc. How true is it?
False.

XX01:

And Canadian oil is taking a worse beating. Price of Canadian crude is about $7 per barrel.
It hit $4 a barrel lastweek or so.
I am involved in lots of electrical projects for Oil companies, and a lot of those projects have been cancelled or put on hold indefinitely.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 5:25pm On Apr 02, 2020
NwanyiOkpa:

Not true. As a foreign educated/trained engineer, what you need is a license from a province to be able to practice/work in that province as an engineer. Canadian first degree is not a compulsory requirement. Once your foreign degree is accredited and found to be equivalent to a Canadian degree by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board, it will be accepted.

I'm not an engineer, I just asked practicing engineers here and researched through Google. Google the licensing requirements of any/all provinces in Canada to see what they are for your self. Nigerian, Ghanaian, Chinese, Pakistani engineers, folks from all over the world are practicing their engineering profession in Canada after they obtain their license. You can do same after you get your PR visa and land here.

https://engineerscanada.ca/become-an-engineer/overview-of-licensing-process

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:11pm On Apr 02, 2020
Blackbuddy:

Not true. As a foreign educated/trained engineer, what you need is a license from a province to be able to practice/work in that province as an engineer. Canadian first degree is not a compulsory requirement. Once your foreign degree is accredited and found to be equivalent to a Canadian degree by the Canadian Engineering Accreditation Board, it will be accepted.

I'm not an engineer, I just asked practicing engineers here and researched through Google. Google the licensing requirements of any/all provinces in Canada to see what they are for your self. Nigerian, Ghanaian, Chinese, Pakistani engineers, folks from all over the world are practicing their engineering profession in Canada after they obtain their license. You can do same after you get your PR visa and land here.

https://engineerscanada.ca/become-an-engineer/overview-of-licensing-process

Thanks so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NwanyiOkpa(f): 6:11pm On Apr 02, 2020
salford1:

Why msc in Oil and Gas though? Msc in Mechanical would have been a better option in my opinion - more diversified discipline. However, you maybe able to switch after you start your program in O&G.

Yes. Just south of Manitoba and Saskatchewan

False.

It hit $4 a barrel lastweek or so.
I am involved in lots of electrical projects for Oil companies, and a lot of those projects have been cancelled or put on hold indefinitely.

Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by megastu(m): 8:30pm On Apr 02, 2020
For PR and Canadian Citizens there is special flight from Lagos/Abuja to Toronto on April 6th, 2020

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MrsEM: 9:16pm On Apr 02, 2020
megastu:
For PR and Canadian Citizens there is special flight from Lagos/Abuja to Toronto on April 6th, 2020

Hello,
Which airline please?
Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:23pm On Apr 02, 2020
MrsEM:

Hello,
Which airline please?
Thank you
Dear Canadians,  

You are receiving this message because you have registered with the Government of Canada Registration of Canadians Abroad system (ROCA).   

It contains action you must take by no later than 5 p.m. on April 3. Read this message in its entirety before replying.

Following our message of 31 Mar 2020, the purpose of this message is to provide information regarding a flight to Canada for Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada and their immediate family.

Ethiopian Airlines will operate a special flight on April 6 that will serve both Lagos and Abuja and then proceed to Addis Ababa. The flight will land in Lagos and then in Abuja on the morning of April 6. Passengers will then connect to another Ethiopian Airlines flight from Addis Ababa to Toronto (YYZ). If you are travelling to an onward destination beyond Toronto in Canada, you must book your connecting flights on a separate reservation. You are responsible to book and pay for your own onward travel and living arrangements. The precise time of departure from Abuja and Lagos and the time of arrival in Toronto will be communicated to you only after we have confirmed your booking for the flight.

The cost of flight LOS/ABV – ADD –YYZ will be CAD $5,000 per person. Children up to 2 years old (24 months), can fly free if they sit in the lap of their parent/guardian. Once you have indicated your interest in taking this flight, have provided the required forms, and have received confirmation that your request has been successful, we reserve the right to charge you for the cost of the flight, even if you do not show up at the airport.

ELIGIBILITY FOR THIS FLIGHT 

Canadian citizens with valid Canadian passports 

Permanent Residents of Canada with a valid Permanent Resident card 

Immediate family members of Canadian citizens or Permanent Residents who already hold a valid Canadian visa, eTA or who are from a visa-exempt country (see the definition of immediate family here https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html) 

Persons who have been approved for Permanent Residence (who have received a Confirmation of Permanent Residence) AND who already hold an IM-1 visa in their passports. 

Foreign nationals who held or were approved a valid Work Permit or Study Permit on or before 18 March. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/coronavirus-covid19/travel-restrictions-exemptions.html    

NOTE: 

Health screening will be done for all departures to Canada. All travelers arriving in Canada must self-isolate for a period of 14 days and must have a confirmed place in Canada for that self-isolation prior to travel. 

Seats may be allocated in order of priority and that preference may be given to vulnerable persons, such as those older than 65 years of age, minors, and those with underlying health problems. 

For children who are travelling with only of their parents or another guardian, it is recommended that they carry a consent letter from the non-travelling parent(s).  see https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/children/consent-letter

MANDATORY STEPS TO TAKE WITHIN 24 HOURS – if you do not follow these instructions, you WILL NOT be confirmed for this flight.

Send an email containing ALL of the elements below to ABUJA@international.gc.ca (if you plan to depart from the Abuja airport) or LAGOS@international.gc.ca (if you plan to depart from the Lagos airport). Please also bring the originals of these documents with you to the airport.

Complete the 3 forms regarding payment. These forms will follow immediately in separate emails.  All adult travelers must complete all three forms (regardless of your financial status).  The costs of children travelling with that adult must be reflected.  If you do not have a printer you can use an app of your choice (such as Adobe Fill & Sign) 

- Payment Declaration   

- Credit Card Authorization – Payment at a Canadian Office Abroad 

- COVID-19 Emergency Loan Request Form 

If your credit card payment is successfully applied, no further action will be taken and the remaining forms will be destroyed.  

If you do not have a credit card or are unable to pay for the flight, you will apply for a loan from the government of Canada (COVID-19 Emergency Loan Program for Canadians Abroad (https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/financial-assistance/covid-19-financial-help).   

Please note that signing the loan form DOES NOT mean you are approved for the loan.

An adult Canadian citizen/Permanent Resident travelling with an immediate family member who is not a citizen or permanent resident should include them on their own loan form.

2.Send a clear/legible scan of the travel documentation for EACH TRAVELLER (Canadian passport biodata page, Permanent Resident card, international passport, Canadian visa, or documentation showing the relationship between a foreign national and a Canadian citizen/Permanent Resident (e.g. birth certificate, marriage certificate etc.) 

Your current location and which airport (Abuja or Lagos) you plan to fly from 

Indicate any special circumstances – e.g. age 65+, health issue, mobility issue, pregnancy, unaccompanied minors, children/toddlers less than 2 years old, etc. 

UPON ARRIVAL IN CANADA 

Mandatory self-isolation: All travelers arriving in Canada will be subject to mandatory self-isolation for a period of 14 days and must have a confirmed and safe place in Canada for that self-isolation, whether or not they have symptoms of COVID-19. See: https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/latest-travel-health-advice.html?topic=tilelink. Failure to comply is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could result in fines and imprisonment.  COVID-19 Emergency Loans may not be used to cover costs related to mandatory self-isolation in Canada. 

Health insurance requirements in Canada:  Ensure that you and your dependents have adequate health insurance in Canada.  In some provinces you must wait, sometimes up to three months, before you can get government health insurance. Contact the ministry of health in your province or territory to know how long you’ll need to wait. If you are not eligible immediately for government health insurance, make sure you have private health insurance to cover your healthcare needs during this waiting period.  

FAQ 

Q. Why is the flight cost so much higher than a regular ticket.  Can it be reduced? 

A.  The cost is set by the airline and is indicative of its extraordinary nature (e.g. the flight will have to arrive empty to Nigeria and return empty from Canada to Ethiopia). 

Q: Will I have to pay for the flight?  

A: Yes.  More details on payment methods are above. Canadian citizens and Permanent Residents are eligible for a COVID-19 Emergency Loan. More details can be found here: https://travel.gc.ca/assistance/emergency-info/financial-assistance/covid-19-financial-help.

Q. Is the flight confirmed 

A. At this time, yes 

Q: Will this flight serve other airports beyond Lagos and Abuja? 

A: No.  If you are outside one of these areas, you will have to make your own travel arrangements to get to these airports. 

Q: Abuja and Lagos, and other areas are locked down, how will I travel to the airport? 

A: After confirmation of your booking, you will be provided a document from the Canadian High Commission showing your purpose of travel.  You must make your own arrangements to travel to those airports.  

Q: I’m outside of Lagos or FCT and inter-state travel is restricted.   

A: After confirmation of your booking, you will be provided a document from the Canadian High Commission showing your purpose of travel.  You must make your own arrangements to travel to those airports.  

Q. Will there be other flights arranged?

A: Unknown. The Canadian Government will continue to work with airlines and other governments, but if you need to get back to Canada, we strongly encourage you to seriously consider this opportunity.

Q: What about the flight to the U.S. that was previously noted? 

A: It is unlikely those flights will have space for non-US citizens. 

Q. Can I bring my pets? 

A. Unfortunately, no pets are permitted 

Q: I would like to request business class. 

A: We are not accepting requests for business class seats.   

CONSENT TO DISCLOSE PERSONAL INFORMATION 

Be informed that your personal information may be disclosed to other departments within the Government of Canada, subject to the provisions of Canada’s Privacy Act. By expressing to the Government of Canada your interest in taking a special flight, you will be authorizing Global Affairs Canada to disclose your relevant personal information to foreign airlines to assist in preparations for such flights.    

Global Affairs Canada is committed to protectin

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:24pm On Apr 02, 2020
5000 cad. Jokers

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 10:46pm On Apr 02, 2020
Kekereekun123:
5000 cad. Jokers

That's what i saw too. 5k for ET flight. Na wa o.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 11:32pm On Apr 02, 2020
19CannyMum:

That's what i saw too. 5k for ET flight. Na wa o.

Kekereekun123:
5000 cad. Jokers

It's not Kuku by force cheesy

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by UXC007: 11:48pm On Apr 02, 2020
5000 Ni 5000 Ko

salford1:

It's not Kuku by force cheesy
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 11:50pm On Apr 02, 2020
UXC007:
5000 Ni 5000 Ko

Bad situation to be in, but It seems the airline dictates the cost. Similar emergency flight costs $2,900 per traveller from India to Canada.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/canadians-stuck-in-india-told-to-pay-2-900-for-special-flight-home-1.4876329

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PLSHELEP: 5:43am On Apr 03, 2020
Seniors, any guidance on GST/HST credit... Being a newcomer and unable to get a job or know how long this lockdown would last for, is it advised to apply as soon as possible, and from experience is there any demerits with applying so soon?

Would appreciate honest replies... Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MrsEM: 7:35am On Apr 03, 2020
Thanks a lot for the response

Kekereekun123:
Dear Canadians,  

You are receiving this message because you have registered with the Government of Canada Registration of Canadians Abroad system (ROCA).   

It contains action you must take by no later than 5 p.m. on April 3. Read this message in its entirety before replying.

Following our message of 31 Mar 2020, the purpose of this message is to provide information regarding a flight to Canada for Canadian citizens, Permanent Residents of Canada and their immediate family.

Ethiopian Airlines will operate a special flight on April 6 that will serve both Lagos and Abuja and then proceed to

Global Affairs Canada is committed to protectin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kingkhalil: 8:10am On Apr 03, 2020
megastu:

COPR too.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 9:10am On Apr 03, 2020
PLSHELEP:
Seniors, any guidance on GST/HST credit... Being a newcomer and unable to get a job or know how long this lockdown would last for, is it advised to apply as soon as possible, and from experience is there any demerits with applying so soon?

There are no demerits in applying too soon. If possible apply the same day you arrive.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Petitemommy: 4:11pm On Apr 03, 2020
PLSHELEP:

If you havent applied for benefit before now, the chances that you will be paid the one off GST/HST credit is very slim as it will be rolled out on April 9th.

If your intention was to do a soft landing but got locked in as a result of the pandemic, application for benefits should be put on hold till you are ready to take up residence . That is just my opinion.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PLSHELEP: 4:46pm On Apr 03, 2020
Petitemommy:

If you havent applied for benefit before now, the chances that you will be paid the one off GST/HST credit is very slim as it will be rolled out on April 9th.

If your intention was to do a soft landing but got locked in as a result of the pandemic, application for benefits should be put on hold till you are ready to take up residence . That is just my opinion.

Already in residence for more than a month not soft landing. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by PLSHELEP: 4:46pm On Apr 03, 2020
19CannyMum:

There are no demerits in applying too soon. If possible apply the same day you arrive.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by delpharm(m): 5:50pm On Apr 03, 2020
Doyle0309:

Hello pls message me. Also a pharmacist and thinking of going to Alberta. Jan 2020 AOR. Maybe we can run minds. Thanks

Hi,I'm also a Pharmacist looking forward to move to Canada.Feb 2020 AOR.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ovielistic: 7:56pm On Apr 03, 2020
PLSHELEP:

You are not eligible..you haven't worked nor have you payed tax..you don't have CRA account.How would you want to get GST/PST.You can't apply for EI or the new CERB package since you never settle in the system.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ovielistic: 8:03pm On Apr 03, 2020
safex:

The sad part is that many, with CoPR, have resigned (and even booked flights) already, in fact some have been selling off properties

The setback is temporal. .in 2-3 months..things should have stabilized..I guess July latest.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sweetrie(f): 9:45pm On Apr 03, 2020
ovielistic:

You are not eligible..you haven't worked nor have you payed tax..you don't have CRA account.How would you want to get GST/PST.You can't apply for EI or the new CERB package since you never settle in the system.
You can get GST. Cheques are sent to you with or without CRA account. Can't apply for EI. But he can apply for GST

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 9:58pm On Apr 03, 2020
sweetrie:
You can get GST. Cheques are sent to you with or without CRA account. Can't apply for EI. But he can apply for GST
GST is for single peeps while child benefit is for married peeps right?.. A married person can't apply for GST right ?

Thanks

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (313) (314) (315) (316) (317) (318) (319) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.