Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,152 members, 7,807,507 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 02:26 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (34) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2181606 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by softandmoist(f): 1:19am On Jan 25, 2019
Hi meetchandus, I just saw your mention. I'm sorry.
I live in Uplands, in the north end too. wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifywhyteman: 1:55am On Jan 25, 2019
I dey greet una from Regina, unu dey follow me flex cold abi? Please an important question for those based in Saskatchewan, is anyone aware of any thing like Saskatchewan Family Health Benefit? I got a letter from Canada Revenue Agency informing us that we are qualified to apply based on the income we reported on our income tax return. Are PRs eligible to benefit from this or do one need to be careful. Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 2:14am On Jan 25, 2019
God bless you bros. I appreciate your time

einsteino:

I dont know much about ottawa but I strongly doubt that it has just as much construction jobs as Calgary, even with the economic downturn Alberta is passing through. Another thing is Ottawa is bilingual, so the CM job you manage to find may require you to be able to read docs in both french and english. The survival job your friend said is readily available isn't enough reason to move over there. Inshort, if even survival jobs are competitive in a canadian city I live in, then I'd rather go back to Nigeria and continue my career. If you arent picky, calgary should be able to at least avail you a survival job. If he were talking Toronto Vs Calgary, it would make sense cos at least you know you also have a good chance to find a CM job in Toronto while managing the survival job.

As for the city like lagos bit, I dont know where people get that from. It is true that Toronto is the lagos of Canada but this doesnt mean that life in Toronto is same as life in lagos, except you mean the saner parts of lagos ie the likes of V.I. If you arent living in downtown Toronto, the city can easily feel too slow and quiet for a wannabe lagosian. The socalled mad traffic here is the sanity lagos prays for. Canadian cities rarely have anything in common with lagos, except high cost of living. Of course, some canadian cities are much more calmer than some, so Toronto in comparison to other Canadian cities is Lagos but for someone straight out of naija it isnt, at worst you'd say its like Abuja.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 2:31am On Jan 25, 2019
After 36hrs of Travel, Calgary I am soooo pleased to finally meet you. I am a very nice guy with my family of a sweet wifey and lovely kids. Canada, be nice in return ok.

She (Canada) is soooooo beautiful people!

Whatever stage you are on the process, i wish you the best.

The fulfilment that comes after you've landed is that of accomplishment.

Alhamdulillah for His mercies.

Goodluck and bye for now

137 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Favoured2505: 4:20am On Jan 25, 2019
Congratulations. Can't wait to land too. Goodluck in your new home!
olajide21:
After 36hrs of Travel, Calgary I am soooo pleased to finally meet you. I am a very nice guy with my family of a sweet wifey and lovely kids. Canada, be nice in return ok.

Goodluck and bye for now

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 4:21am On Jan 25, 2019

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zeiya(f): 5:46am On Jan 25, 2019

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 5:52am On Jan 25, 2019
olajide21:

Goodluck and bye for now

As beautiful as these pictures are, they seem to be tormenting me as my flight is still 2 months away. I no even know why I go book for March sef. Dear March please come quickly ........ I can't wait no longer cry cry cry cry

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 5:54am On Jan 25, 2019
czaratwork:
https://www.nairaland.com/4981423/nigerians-canada-right-now-still

The sense of humour in Nigerians can be very crazy..... Those comments are freaking rib cracking. grin grin grin

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fresty(f): 6:07am On Jan 25, 2019
[quote author=aworldcitizen post=74367226]Landing Gist.
Family of 5.
Happy new year all. I didn’t want my landing gist to have part 1 & 2; hence I waited for it to be almost complete.

Hello Sis, please I sent you a pm. Kindly respond. Cheers.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fresty(f): 8:19am On Jan 25, 2019
Hailings o! To my landed seniors, please how does one book airbnb from Nigeria using our regular bank account?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluphilip2008(f): 10:55am On Jan 25, 2019
Fresty:
Hailings o! To my landed seniors, please how does one book airbnb from Nigeria using our regular bank account?

Hi @Fresty, I just booked an airbnb apartment just few days ago. The process is straight forward and seamless. Once you see an apartment, click on 'booking' or 'request a booking', then you will be taken to a different page where you create your profile and upload your ID and picture, that's if you don't have one yet. Once your host/landlord approves your reservation, Airbnb will send you payment instructions. Just input your normal Nigerian debit card details and the naira equivalent of the amount will be deducted from your account, your receipt sent to your e-mail.

19 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newbeecey: 11:03am On Jan 25, 2019
lol..take solace in the fact that you have been saved from the cold.
wizean:

As beautiful as these pictures are, they seem to be tormenting me as my flight is still 2 months away. I no even know why I go book for March sef. Dear March please come quickly ........ I can't wait no longer cry cry cry cry

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Obtay: 11:40am On Jan 25, 2019
Please any one?Kindly help.I just need to compiment what I have been reading online with what really obtains there from people already in the system or knows much about the system

Obtay:
Please any project manager in the house.Kindly help a soul
Please I need pointers to how having PMP certificate will help in canada(though first degree not at all related to project management) and how best to gather experience in it in canada.
I found out PPM is more required in canada than PRINCE 2

Please I need as much assistance as I can get from all

Cc @blackbuddy@Salford1@maternal@Vcole
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wholesomegrace: 11:49am On Jan 25, 2019
olajide21:

Goodluck and bye for now

May the land remain beautiful, fruitful and fertile for you. welcome to Canada

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 2:12pm On Jan 25, 2019
Obtay:
Please any project manager in the house.Kindly help a soul
Please I need pointers to how having PMP certificate will help in canada(though first degree not at all related to project management) and how best to gather experience in it in canada.
I found out PPM is more required in canada than PRINCE 2

Please I need as much assistance as I can get from all

Cc @blackbuddy @Salford1 @maternal @Vcole
Yes. Pmp is more accepted in Canada/N.America. Very few organization will list prince2 as a substitute to Pmp. We accept both in my place of work, but a candidate with a prince2 will get bumped for one with pmp when it comes down to one person getting the pm job.
Most core project management positions will not ask for a particular degree. Note "core PM positions" e.g like a PM team for an IT project or PM team for lean improvement projects; however, some construction or engineering jobs or IT jobs will still require the prerequisite engineering or computer science degree, and Pmp ceetification will just be an added bonus. These kind of roles will often encounter projects on their jobs, but their engineering skills and regulatory requirements is of more importance than PM skills.

So whether your degree matters or not will depend on the kind of job you are looking for. There are project management consultancies that send contractors to work term projects in companies all over Canada, for this types of jobs, your degree title would hardly matter.

8 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Obtay: 2:36pm On Jan 25, 2019
Thank you for the insight
salford1:

Yes. Pmp is more accepted in Canada/N.America. Very few organization will list prince2 as a substitute to Pmp. We accept both in my place of work, but a candidate with a prince2 will get bumped for one with pmp when it comes down to one person getting the pm job.
Most core project management positions will not ask for a particular degree. Note "core PM positions" e.g like a PM team for an IT project or PM team for lean improvement projects; however, some construction or engineering jobs or IT jobs will still require the prerequisite engineering or computer science degree, and Pmp ceetification will just be an added bonus. These kind of roles will often encounter projects on their jobs, but their engineering skills and regulatory requirements is of more importance than PM skills.

So whether your degree matters or not will depend on the kind of job you are looking for. There are project management consultancies that send contractors to work term projects in companies all over Canada, for this types of jobs, your degree title would hardly matter.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 2:44pm On Jan 25, 2019
Boss13:

How do you know they are FX trader. Did they show you a license to provide such services. Are you certain the source of money is clean?

Please whoever is considering converting naira or dollars to CAD, please use the Banks. Dem no dey talk this thing twice.
Chief, stop hounding me please. You can make your points cleanly without resorting to alarms.

There are no laws in Canada against peer-to-peer currency exchanging; neither are there laws that mandate anyone to have a licence before exchanging foreign currency with friends or neighbors. In fact, these forms of p2p or Airbnb-like exchanging/lending are now taking sizable business away from banks because they are faster and the fees are lower.

As regards whether the source of the money is clean or not, that's not a point I discussed. That's why you deal with someone who's trustworthy. Maybe you need to read my initial post to see that I mentioned that. Not every Nigerian is a terrorist or money launderer. There are those who want to simply exchange their hard earned foreign currency with a more convenient form of currency.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fresty(f): 2:59pm On Jan 25, 2019
oluphilip2008:

Hi @Fresty, I just booked an airbnb apartment just few days ago. The process is straight forward and seamless. Once you see an apartment, click on 'booking' or 'request a booking', then you will be taken to a different page where you create your profile and upload your ID and picture, that's if you don't have one yet. Once your host/landlord approves your reservation, Airbnb will send you payment instructions. Just input your normal Nigerian debit card details and the naira equivalent of the amount will be deducted from your account, your receipt sent to your e-mail.
Thank you very much. I was worried I'll need a dollar account. I'm relieved. Will try it and report back here.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bracha: 5:40pm On Jan 25, 2019
olajide21:
All 10 Ten bags came with us.
Talk about bringing the whole of Abuja to Canada.

Hi, please what is that film-like material for wrapping the ghana-must-go called?

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sthill5: 5:59pm On Jan 25, 2019
Bracha:

Hi, please what is that film-like material for wrapping the ghana-must-go called?

Thank you.

Cling film

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 6:31pm On Jan 25, 2019
softandmoist:
Hi meetchandus, I just saw your mention. I'm sorry.
I live in Uplands, in the north end too. wink

This your username sha...does not leave much to the imagination.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by vascey(m): 6:36pm On Jan 25, 2019
lobell:

Washing foam?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by softandmoist(f): 6:48pm On Jan 25, 2019
lobell:

Is that how you like your doughnuts? wink

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 7:04pm On Jan 25, 2019
softandmoist:

Loving your diary
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 7:09pm On Jan 25, 2019
vascey:

Washing foam?

No sir! Try again.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 7:10pm On Jan 25, 2019
softandmoist:

'Dog nut'/'do not' is not moist na, haba!

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 8:18pm On Jan 25, 2019
salford1:

Hi Salford could you please explain a bit more on the bold sentence and please state some companies that are project management consultancies. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bracha: 8:22pm On Jan 25, 2019
Thank you.

Sthill5:

Cling film
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 8:35pm On Jan 25, 2019
Don't know if this is the right thread for it, but the federal government is trying a new immigration pilot project to help gets immigrants into rural communities. Perhaps this may be good for people who can't get or afford the skilled worker route ? A nice read.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/hussen-immigration-rural-pilot-1.4990875

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newmum0615: 9:11pm On Jan 25, 2019
Lol. No wahala.
Newbeecey:
Yes!!!! I think Olajide21 is finally giving us the landing gist as it should be (ie from boarding to hopefully landing and settling in). This should be the new marking scheme biko. Olajide21 thank you very much; your pictorial representation has us feeling like we are taking this trip with you.

Enjoy yourself, land safe, settle easy.

Newmum0615 , hello from this side. Please o!!!! This one is not pride. In advance, I am asking that you make it very relatable in words and pictures. Merci tres beaucoup

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ebicon(f): 10:24pm On Jan 25, 2019
Bracha:

Thank you.
Shrink wrap

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (31) (32) (33) (34) (35) (36) (37) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.