Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,147,985 members, 7,799,362 topics. Date: Tuesday, 16 April 2024 at 07:42 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (334) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2175691 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drail400(m): 9:12pm On May 25, 2020
drhammed:

Hi, you may ask questions and I'll answer as best as I can. I've been living in Montreal for close to 2yrs, so perhaps I can answer your questions.

Hello
I'd like to know the prospects of settling in Montreal as a non french speaking immigrant with PR

Your response will be very much appreciated

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ndawe(f): 12:08am On May 26, 2020
bezimo:

Offcourse you can secure a University Job in medical sciences..but first things first did you get your PhD from USA..or which part of Europe or Africa..if Africa..You don't stand a chance..you have to start again..if from Europe you stand a slight chance as you have to compete with Canadian trained PhDs

Hello, I'm ABD in the US now and my degree is in Environmental Science/Chemistry, with some Nigerian experience in HSE. I'm currently looking at job prospects, ways to improve myself (maybe certifications) and searching for best province to live based on job prospects. Everything seems to be pointing to Alberta but with this oil depression now, everything has changed. Any advice please? Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 7:05am On May 26, 2020
I took this photo at about 5am(canadian time). I kind of love how the sun contoured the clouds and thought it was worth sharing. Hopefully it gives awaiting PRs something of their future home to hold on to.

Photo was taken at Etobicoke (Toronto)

64 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 7:06am On May 26, 2020
I took this one from the rooftop of a 32 storey building. At least it gives a good view of the "over crowded and chaotic" Toronto lol grin. This area is Weston at Lawrence.

38 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 7:06am On May 26, 2020
and finally this

36 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 11:05pm On May 26, 2020
Beautiful pictures einsteino cool cool

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by UXC007: 12:02am On May 27, 2020
Please I sent you an email, kindly add me to the Whatsapp group

Kiitan195344:
Hi, you can share your number with me so I can add you to the WhatsApp group created for this.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 1:04am On May 27, 2020
einsteino:
I took this one from the rooftop of a 32 storey building. At least it gives a good view of the "over crowded and chaotic" Toronto lol grin. This area is Weston at Lawrence.
You are forgetting the city/province is still under lockdown. We can't make anything of the "overcrowding or chaos" at this time.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 1:26am On May 27, 2020
Ndawe:

Hello, I'm ABD in the US now and my degree is in Environmental Science/Chemistry, with some Nigerian experience in HSE. I'm currently looking at job prospects, ways to improve myself (maybe certifications) and searching for best province to live based on job prospects. Everything seems to be pointing to Alberta but with this oil depression now, everything has changed. Any advice please? Thanks

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 1:27am On May 27, 2020
SlowlybtSurely:
Beautiful pictures einsteino cool cool

Thanks baba
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 1:34am On May 27, 2020
Ndawe:

How many years of HSE work experience did you garner in Nigeria before leaving? If you intend exploring the HSE field as an option when you get to Canada, I'd advise you better start with writing the CSP exam (Board of Certified Safety Professionals-BCSP) right now in the US. That would ultimately you a good leverage towards obtaining the Canadian equivalent (CRSP).

As for the best province to live based on job prospects, its common knowledge that Alberta's economy is heavily tied to the prosperity of the Oil and Gas sector which has been dealt copious blows over the years especially in recent times. At this time, I'd generally advise newcomers to look elsewhere (other provinces) if there's no particular edge/advantage (e.g family ties or concrete job offers) coming to Alberta offers them.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 2:03am On May 27, 2020
cochtrane:

You are forgetting the city/province is still under lockdown. We can't make anything of the "overcrowding or chaos" at this time.

Oh you have a point but in the last week or so, the streets have gotten much busier due to the summer. Over here, not many people are adhering to the sit at home anymore. Hopefully, after the lockdown I would retake the pic so we could compare.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 2:11am On May 27, 2020
cochtrane:

You have a very good point but in the last week or so, the streets have been busy due to summer. Not many people are adhering to the sit at home order anymore.Hopefully, after the lockdown I would retake the pic so we could compare.

In any case, one can see from the picture that some effort was dedicated to urban planning, unlike Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 3:14am On May 27, 2020
einsteino:

You have a very good point but in the last week or so, the streets have been busy due to summer. Not many people are adhering to the sit at home order anymore.Hopefully, after the lockdown I would retake the pic so we could compare.

In any case, one can see from the picture that some effort was dedicated to urban planning, unlike Lagos.
Of course! More effort is dedicated to urban planning.
I like the pic from the roof top.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 11:33am On May 27, 2020
Ndawe:

Ah Ndawe I remember you. Get Dare to give you my number. I'm in Canada now.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ndawe(f): 7:38pm On May 27, 2020
Thank you so much! My HSE work experience is 2years 7months. I share your sentiments about Alberta and the crude oil depression. No family ties or concrete job offers though but other factors we're considering are health care and cost of living, so Alberta seemed to check all those boxes for us, but now, we're trying to explore other provinces; Ontario and British Columbia. Another thing is that I've got some experience in chemical analyses as well, so I'm trying to tie all that in and look for places that may offer job opportunities in these areas. What do you advise? in
esterella:

How many years of HSE work experience did you garner in Nigeria before leaving? If you intend exploring the HSE field as an option when you get to Canada, I'd advise you better start with writing the CSP exam (Board of Certified Safety Professionals-BCSP) right now in the US. That would ultimately you a good leverage towards obtaining the Canadian equivalent (CRSP).

As for the best province to live based on job prospects, its common knowledge that Alberta's economy is heavily tied to the prosperity of the Oil and Gas sector which has been dealt copious blows over the years especially in recent times. At this time, I'd generally advise newcomers to look elsewhere (other provinces) if there's no particular edge/advantage (e.g family ties or concrete job offers) coming to Alberta offers them.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ndawe(f): 7:39pm On May 27, 2020
Ahhhh!!!!!! I will do so and get in touch ASAP. Thank you!!
Fortissimo502:

Ah Ndawe I remember you. Get Dare to give you my number. I'm in Canada now.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lastborn111(m): 10:18pm On May 27, 2020
Hello Great People,

Please I do have a question, kindly help with an answer.

Background

My family got nominated by Saskatchewan province through Job Offer Category. Though spouse and I have gotten our Work permit approved ( Spouse’s Work Permit is Employee specific while mine is an open work permit).
before March 18th but unable to travel due to restriction on International flight in Nigeria.

We have also submitted the PR application( paper route)

We intend traveling as soon as flight operations resumes.

However my question is about all this essential or not essential traveling.

Obvious spouse’s work falls under essential but with Open work permit, Hope there won’t be issues at this particular time (essential or not essential). Kindly help with relevant information to ease this mental burden. (smiles)

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by manjiggy(m): 11:42pm On May 27, 2020
Hi, I'm Olufola and I presently live in Winnipeg. I hope you arrived safe. If you think I can help with anything you may contact me via email through igefola@gmail.com with Nairaland as reference. I wish you the best.
ehnny:
Good morning Seniors..

Please is there a Post PPR Whatsapp group or Nigerians in Winnipeg group( whatsapp,telegram,NL)? I'm landing in Winnipeg next month-March and I'm looking for as much help and info as I can get.

Looking forward....
Thank you.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by u3fine(m): 12:36am On May 28, 2020
Congratulations on your permit . How did you get the job? was it through the Child care provider route?
lastborn111:
Hello Great People,

Please I do have a question, kindly help with an answer.

Background

My family got nominated by Saskatchewan province through Job Offer Category. Though spouse and I have gotten our Work permit approved ( Spouse’s Work Permit is Employee specific while mine is an open work permit).
before March 18th but unable to travel due to restriction on International flight in Nigeria.

We have also submitted the PR application( paper route)

We intend traveling as soon as flight operations resumes.

However my question is about all this essential or not essential traveling.

Obvious spouse’s work falls under essential but with Open work permit, Hope there won’t be issues at this particular time (essential or not essential). Kindly help with relevant information to ease this mental burden. (smiles)
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Villagegirl: 1:00am On May 28, 2020
einsteino:

Nice. Thinking of moving to Weston by next winter. Closer to my work place at North York (Steeles Ave).

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by esterella: 8:11am On May 28, 2020
Ndawe:
Thank you so much! My HSE work experience is 2years 7months. I share your sentiments about Alberta and the crude oil depression. No family ties or concrete job offers though but other factors we're considering are health care and cost of living, so Alberta seemed to check all those boxes for us, but now, we're trying to explore other provinces; Ontario and British Columbia. Another thing is that I've got some experience in chemical analyses as well, so I'm trying to tie all that in and look for places that may offer job opportunities in these areas. What do you advise? in

Well, the more options you are qualified for, the better (HSE or Chemistry) but you actually will find opportunities in both fields in almost all provinces, You can randomly search for the positions of both professions on platforms like indeed.ca for different cities or provinces just to have an idea of the number and frequency of job availability in the discipline. Generally speaking though, Ontario has the largest manufacturing sector in my estimate.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by peaceful22: 9:46am On May 28, 2020
Please my Canny people if any one wanna send Naira in Nigeria kindly pm me. We could exchange, you transfer into my Canadian account while I pay into your Nigerian account at an agreed exchange rate. Thank you.

Hope this post is appropriate in this forum.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Deltayankeeboi: 10:03am On May 28, 2020
esterella:

Hallo, please is there any prospect for a zoology graduate with first class, hoping to do my Master's degree in Canada. What career can I start with in Canada, Nigeria is terrible and I studied a terrible course. I'm so angry with myself. Can I do my Master's in a course not related to zoology

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richdee1(m): 11:56am On May 28, 2020
Why have I not seen any Social Worker or Sociology that has gone out for studies(PhD or BSc.) in Canada or Gotten Job abroad from Nigeria..
is there something we're missing??
Please if you have seen or have link drop here

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 2:01pm On May 28, 2020
lastborn111:
Hello Great People,

I doubt you will have any problems coming in. However, be sure to inform the airline of your visa category. If they can fly you, I doubt border officials will send you back.

What fields are you guys in?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 2:12pm On May 28, 2020
Deltayankeeboi:
Hallo, please is there any prospect for a zoology graduate with first class, hoping to do my Master's degree in Canada. What career can I start with in Canada, Nigeria is terrible and I studied a terrible course. I'm so angry with myself. Can I do my Master's in a course not related to zoology

Please don't be.

I haven't met any Zoologist here but I know someone who studied Forestry and is gainfully employed in one of the reserves up North. She actually loves what she does.

If you don't see a future with zoology, you totally can come do your Masters or Post Graduate Diploma in a different discipline and kickstart a new career.

Do you have any work experience that can make you eligible for Express entry? What are your interests? You should do some research into what you really want.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 2:21pm On May 28, 2020
Richdee1:
Why have I not seen any Social Worker or Sociology that has gone out for studies(PhD or BSc.) in Canada or Gotten Job abroad from Nigeria..
is there something we're missing??
Please if you have seen or have link drop here

Social Work is a popular program here so I'm certain there will be Nigerians in it; be that BSc, MSc or PhD.

Getting a job in Canada from Nigeria is pretty difficult, especially in regulated professions. That might explain why you haven't come across someone who did it successfully.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richdee1(m): 3:14pm On May 28, 2020
SlowlybtSurely:

Social Work is a popular program here so I'm certain there will be Nigerians in it; be that BSc, MSc or PhD.

Getting a job in Canada from Nigeria is pretty difficult, especially in regulated professions. That might explain why you haven't come across someone who did it successfully.

Social work is one of the short changed jobs in Canada and USA! why would it be that hard to get Job from here in Canada?
What would you suggest?.
Which Par should one go through?
Express Entry or Student Visa??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Villagegirl: 3:40pm On May 28, 2020
Richdee1:

Social work is one of the short changed jobs in Canada and USA! why would it be that hard to get Job from here in Canada?
What would you suggest?.
Which Par should one go through?
Express Entry or Student Visa??

There are several short changed jobs in Canada including medicine...yet many immigrant doctors never even get the chance to practice.

Getting a Canadian job from Nigeria would involve an LMIA on the employers side and many of them aren't willing to go through that hassle.

Moreover, they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the job can't be done by the people already in Canada.

Your best bet would be student visa or express entry.

However, there's always that 0.01 chance of getting lucky. I'd say explore all avenues.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 4:28pm On May 28, 2020
Villagegirl:

There are several short changed jobs in Canada including medicine...yet many immigrant doctors never even get the chance to practice.

Getting a Canadian job from Nigeria would involve an LMIA on the employers side and many of them aren't willing to go through that hassle.

Moreover, they have to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the job can't be done by the people already in Canada.

Your best bet would be student visa or express entry.

However, there's always that 0.01 chance of getting lucky. I'd say explore all avenues.

Couldn't have put it any better.

To add to this, Social Works is a regulated profession which means that internationally educated workers will require credential evaluation and maybe some extra training.

Richdee1, my advice will be to take the Express Entry path. Come here and do the one year bridging program (there's one in Ontario). This will significantly increase your job prospects.

Goodluck.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richdee1(m): 5:32pm On May 28, 2020
SlowlybtSurely:

Couldn't have put it any better.

To add to this, Social Works is a regulated profession which means that internationally educated workers will require credential evaluation and maybe some extra training.

Richdee1, my advice will be to take the Express Entry path. Come here and do the one year bridging program (there's one in Ontario). This will significantly increase your job prospects.

Goodluck.

To be clear, Please what is the one year bridging Program? Do you mean masters or ??

From what you said Express entry is better
Thanks

(1) (2) (3) ... (331) (332) (333) (334) (335) (336) (337) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.