Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,316 members, 7,808,064 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:21 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (344) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182005 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Crookesmore: 6:42pm On Jun 25, 2020
Lajiniran:

I don't speak Queen's English. But report writing won't be a problem at all.

You know how it is here, I don't have work experience in area of study. 1 year as admin officer at a University, 1 year as admin officer at an IT company and 5 Years at a paramilitary organization.

I don't get the message at the bolded part. Kindly explain

My forecasted CRS score is 470 alone, if my wife applies to doing wes,ielts etc, we will get to 650.

But we are considering studying in a college for her cos she has science background, to study practical Nursing diploma even though she has Bsc Biochemistry (Science Lab Tech option). We assume, this will help her get good job easily and ultimately have a career in Health sector.

So, the Study visa, after months of study, she will apply for open work permit for me to come over, then I can bring our 3 kids along. I don't know if that plan makes any sense, but as expert you may understand.

But my fear like I said is my field getting jobs, I don't want to be at the mercy of a working woman in a no mans land.

Thanks

650 CRS score... How did you get that? Your last paragraph, your mentality is "wack" angry

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by abiodunn: 8:11pm On Jun 25, 2020
Really wack!!! If he already feels like this, isn't it better he stays in Naija where he won't be at her mercy�
Crookesmore:

650 CRS score... How did you get that? Your last paragraph, your mentality is "wack" angry

11 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pee2Jay9: 9:25am On Jun 26, 2020
Wow.. Thanks a lot...

salford1:

To break into the Engineering or Technical industry in Canada, the most favoured certificates are any of the following: a Journeyman trade certificate, a diploma or a degree certificate (BSc, Masters or PhD). The PGC would be useful when you are already in the company and looking to move up or change departments/divisions.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by omidan21: 4:06pm On Jun 26, 2020
Hello House Please Can I raise WEBFORM to know my VO two months post AOR. I already received medical passed and and biometric instruction
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AAT2: 10:30pm On Jun 26, 2020
kraits03:
Hello everyone,

So I joined a WhatsApp group for people trying to get to Canada created by Chioma (one of the organisers of the last trip). Send me a direct message or reply me here if you are interested in details.

im interested, how can I get more info or join the group?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 12:58am On Jun 27, 2020
bencomib:
I greet you and thanks for this post. I will like to ask how can one go about finding supervisor in this regard?

You could check the department's website for a list of their professors. Go through their research areas and publications, then contact the professors and tell them why you are passionate about their research and what competency you would bring to their research team if selected.

here is a link that explains it in detail
https://www.nairaland.com/2367106/travelling-canada-part-8/28#34729512
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by osespice(f): 3:47am On Jun 27, 2020
AAT2:

im interested, how can I get more info or join the group?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB6xbuEF_SI/?igshid=lmmwtlts3384
Found this page on instagram, this travel agency has been assisting with charter flights.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 3:50am On Jun 27, 2020
Lajiniran:

I don't speak Queen's English. But report writing won't be a problem at all.

You know how it is here, I don't have work experience in area of study. 1 year as admin officer at a University, 1 year as admin officer at an IT company and 5 Years at a paramilitary organization.

I don't get the message at the bolded part. Kindly explain

My forecasted CRS score is 470 alone, if my wife applies to doing wes,ielts etc, we will get to 650.

But we are considering studying in a college for her cos she has science background, to study practical Nursing diploma even though she has Bsc Biochemistry (Science Lab Tech option). We assume, this will help her get good job easily and ultimately have a career in Health sector.

So, the Study visa, after months of study, she will apply for open work permit for me to come over, then I can bring our 3 kids along. I don't know if that plan makes any sense, but as expert you may understand.

But my fear like I said is my field getting jobs, I don't want to be at the mercy of a working woman in a no mans land.

Thanks

@bolded if you guys get along fine, then it shouldn't be a problem. I know with all the gory tales we hear these days, people are paranoid but remember the negative stories travels farther than the positive stories. I have a (Nigerian)friend whose wife was chiefly responsible for the bills for some time here, it didn't come in between their peace or joy. When he finally got a reasonably paying job, she took a backseat and focused on schooling. I also do have a couple Indian friends whose wives were the breadwinners during their bridging program, and heaven didn't come down.

The point is, marriage should be about complementing each other and not competing. However, only you knows the nature of the person you are married to and why you nurse your fears. In any case, I would think you should have kept that bit to yourself because this is a public forum. As anonymous as everyone thinks they are here, you may find someday that someone might tie you to these comments and it may reflect poorly on you.

I don't see how you managed to get the score of 650, I suspect you made some wrong entries in the form. Review it and see if you get above the most recent draw-score. I would choose PR over Study visa anyday.

47 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Naijaforeigner: 5:14am On Jun 27, 2020
I honestly don’t know why people will call someone’s mentality wack just because he thinks differently. So sad.

I mean these are his concerns. He alone knows why he said such.

Yes maybe he shouldn’t have posted it on a public forum but these are concerns most married people have before moving to the western world.

Big ups to you Einsteino. A very matured response.

30 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AAT2: 6:37am On Jun 27, 2020
thanks
osespice:

https://www.instagram.com/p/CB6xbuEF_SI/?igshid=lmmwtlts3384
Found this page on instagram, this travel agency has been assisting with charter flights.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 6:40am On Jun 27, 2020
eolutosin:
I believe it depends on the type of work you are looking to get. I know people who are in Canada and have engineering degree but end up using their technical training certificate. So, check out the requirements for the industry / sector that is of interest to you and go for it. If your profession is regulated, you can check https://africaextended.com/things-that-matter/career/licensing-bodies-for-regulated-professions-in-canada/. thanks

That's why I mentioned "most favoured". wink

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by crespo67: 6:44am On Jun 27, 2020
Hello guys, is there anyone here working as an energy manager?

Also, what salary should I aim for if I live in Toronto, and my wife schools full time?

And we live in a 2 bed apartment.

I would really like to have a realistic expectation.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lajiniran: 3:20pm On Jun 27, 2020
einsteino:

@bolded if you guys get along fine, then it shouldn't be a problem. I know with all the gory tales we hear these days, people are paranoid but remember the negative stories travels farther than the positive stories. I have a (Nigerian)friend whose wife was chiefly responsible for the bills for some time here, it didn't come in between their peace or joy. When he finally got a reasonably paying job, she took a backseat and focused on schooling. I also do have a couple Indian friends whose wives were the breadwinners during their bridging program, and heaven didn't come down.

The point is, marriage should be about complementing each other and not competing. However, only you knows the nature of the person you are married to and why you nurse your fears. In any case, I would think you should have kept that bit to yourself because this is a public forum. As anonymous as everyone thinks they are here, you may find someday that someone might tie you to these comments and it may reflect poorly on you.

I don't see how you managed to get the score of 650, I suspect you made some wrong entries in the form. Review it and see if you get above the most recent draw-score. I would choose PR over Study visa anyday.

@Einsteino, thanks for this contribution. Actually my fear is based on the several stories of Nigerian women who are behaving very good only to be taken abroad by their husband and stories changed. But you know, if that happens and the is not under the support as you highlighted above, you won't be stranded.

But you did not comment on the career aspect.

On score, I agree there may be some wrong entries. I will do it again.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lajiniran: 3:23pm On Jun 27, 2020
19CannyMum:

There are admin jobs in Canada.

Thanks boss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lajiniran: 3:27pm On Jun 27, 2020
19CannyMum:

1. There is nothing wrong with blue collar jobs. They can even pay higher than the so called white collar jobs. It is all about skills and what you have to offer. There is dignity of labor in Canada so life will be easier if you stop thinking of white collar as superior to blue collar.

2. Interesting score

3. Okay

4. Another mindset you should beware of. Canada is a country where men can take paternity leave while their wives return to work. If the idea of women being independent worries you, think very very carefully before relocating your marriage to Canada.

Anyway here's the answer to your original question as gotten from a simple Google search.

Everywhere in the world, courses like history and strategic studies are very difficult to work with. In a class of 200 only like 9 will end up working in the core field. 20-50 will work in kinds of related jobs. More than 100 will end up doing all sorts of other administrative jobs. I would say these courses do create excellent generalists though.

Generalist jobs are available, but this is what I would advice if you are intent on working in your over specialized field

1. Consider getting an additional degree, the whole Canadian education ish that will help you slide easier into the job market. Maybe you'll be among the 9 in your class that get to work in the core field. And a good chance of being among the 20-50 getting a job in a related field e.g NGO, post secondary. Also analyst positions often require masters degree even in Nigeria

2. Choose your potential location wisely. Provincial capitals of non bilingual provinces could be favorable because there are more government jobs. Ottawa is an excellent choice if you are French bilingual.

3. The most important thing is to get your foot in the door even if it's a clerk position. Then based on your education and previous experience, you can start trying to get analyst roles.

Alternate career routes for admin people who are willing to go back to school are Social Works, med office assistant/unit clerk etc. These are high demand fields.

Hmmm very detail. Thanks I will look into this. Thanks a lot.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lajiniran: 3:44pm On Jun 27, 2020
abiodunn:
Really wack!!! If he already feels like this, isn't it better he stays in Naija where he won't be at her mercy�

Crookesmore:

I am not wack in any way. I don't know if you guys are married or not, but I am and for some years now.

My fear is based on other married men's experiences that I have seen, heard and read about. So, I am just being careful.

Sorry, if that info is too up there for you. But einsteino got my message and has replied. I am sure his reply will tell you such situation can happen.

Lastly, stop abusing or calling people names to make a point. Its not cool and that is what's "wack" mentality in my own opinion.

Thank you.

22 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:49pm On Jun 27, 2020
Lajiniran:

I am not wack in any way. I don't know if you guys are married or not, but I am and for some years now.

My fear is based on other married men's experiences that I have seen, heard and read about. So, I am just being careful.

Sorry, if that info is too up there for you. But einsteino got my message and has replied. I am sure his reply will tell you such situation can happen.

Lastly, stop abusing or calling people names to make a point. Its not cool and that is what's "wack" mentality in my own opinion.

Thank you.
grin someone once said once a man begins to fear he actually believes it may happen. Fear not if you are a good person your self. grin.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 3:50pm On Jun 27, 2020
einsteino:

Congrats boss. I am glad to know that your persistence finally fetched you the much awaited goal.
i'm loyal.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Rapture07: 4:07pm On Jun 27, 2020
Hi,

This may be useful to someone who wants to travel. Ethiopian airways sent me this.

Dear Mr. Xxxx

As a global carrier, Ethiopian Airlines has been contributing its share in keeping the world connected transporting passengers and cargo during these trying times.
While flying to different places and bringing people together, Ethiopian continues enforcing the required personal safety standards and health measures so you can travel with us safely.

As of July 01, 2020, we will be resuming flights to Windhoek, Kuwait and New York (John F. Kennedy) with more flights to halted destinations in the pipeline depending on government policies and travel measures of the respective countries.

We look forward to welcoming you on board again.
Ethiopian Airlines

I believe Nigeria is yet to start flying to international routes, but from the email it was further stated that they can fly from west Africa which I believe is Ghana, Togo etc.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 5:54pm On Jun 27, 2020
Lajiniran:

Thank you.
Bro. I have typed several replies to your previous posts then deleted.

However, I would advise that you watch the video below:

My comment is pinned on this video by Marina Esiri.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDWHijyI2Ww

5 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lajiniran: 6:43pm On Jun 27, 2020
salford1:

Bro. I have typed several replies to your previous posts then deleted.

@Salford -(Marina Esiri), thanks for this video, it helps. I learnt one or two thing out of it. I won't mind if you would allow a chat on WhatsApp, I will send you my WhatsApp no. Cos I still belief I am still abit misunderstood here. But wouldn't want to discuss the topic in here anymore. Thanks

I think the couple in the video are currently living my dreams. May God grant my efforts with success. Amen wink

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford1: 7:01pm On Jun 27, 2020
Lajiniran:

@Salford -(Marina Esiri), thanks for this video, it helps. I learnt one or two thing out of it. I won't mind if you would allow a chat on WhatsApp, I will send you my WhatsApp no. Cos I still belief I am still abit misunderstood here. But wouldn't want to discuss the topic in here anymore. Thanks

I think the couple in the video are currently living my dreams. May God grant my efforts with success. Amen wink
Nice to know the video helped. It talks about the concerns if many Nigerian Immigrants. You can also follow Marina on Twitter. I have never met even though we live in the same province. Her videos are always good.
You can send me a message. I however have no idea about the immigration process. I can only answer questions related to living in Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:34pm On Jun 27, 2020
salford1:

Thanks so much for this. I just checked out her channel. Very useful stuff. And such a warm lady!!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Chenkes: 8:16pm On Jun 27, 2020
Did the other men marry "your" wife?
Lajiniran:

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lajiniran: 8:17pm On Jun 27, 2020
salford1:

Nice to know the video helped. It talks about the concerns if many Nigerian Immigrants. You can also follow Marina on Twitter. I have never met even though we live in the same province. Her videos are always good.
You can send me a message. I however have no idea about the immigration process. I can only answer questions related to living in Canada.

Mail has been sent. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 9:22pm On Jun 27, 2020
Chenkes:
Did the other men marry "your" wife?
Let it rest already please..

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by drail400(m): 10:33pm On Jun 27, 2020
salford1:

Hello Salford,

I sent you a mail, there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask you.
Kindly respond
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Exmay02: 12:09am On Jun 28, 2020
drail400:

Hello Salford,

I sent you a mail, there are a couple of questions I'd like to ask you.
Kindly respond
Thanks

Oga, pls ask your questions here, so others can learn too, except its confidential.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Fortissimo502: 12:24am On Jun 28, 2020
Exmay02:

Oga, pls ask your questions here, so others can learn too, except its confidential.
Scroll up a little and you'll see why some people prefer to send PMs.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 40manlappy: 3:42am On Jun 28, 2020
ednut1:
grin finally home. Lagos to Lome to Addis Ababa to Dublin to Canada.

Congrats. Welcome to Canada!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Exmay02: 4:26am On Jun 28, 2020
Fortissimo502:

Scroll up a little and you'll see why some people prefer to send PMs.

I believe u read my post completely, or u just want to be noticed?

(1) (2) (3) ... (341) (342) (343) (344) (345) (346) (347) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.