Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,587 members, 7,809,125 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:18 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (369) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182628 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SamDD: 10:08pm On Aug 17, 2020
einsteino:

I am sorry @SamDD but I haven't received any PM. I think it maybe a recent issue with NL because I also didn't receive @Ominitayo pm. The last pm I received was on the 9th of August which I have since attended to. So, anything between now and thn didn't reach me.

Ooh Okay!

I have sent it again, probably you should send to me.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maverick22: 12:05am On Aug 18, 2020
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Maverick22: 12:09am On Aug 18, 2020
Why??
100% gift deed is allowed

sweetrie:

Option 3: Your sister transfers to you and you transfer to your husband as your contribution. Present your husband's acc as POF. He should also try build his account over time.
Even if you get the full funds from your sister, spend from it while your husband builds his account, then you can send like 50% as your contribution.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oohunt: 12:37am On Aug 18, 2020
Silversurfer1:

Forgive me for prying but I thought one needed to be in Canada for 2 out of 5 years in order to renew their PR? Where you and your husband travelling back and forth in the intervening years?

You are right. We have 2 years + left.
Travelling back and forth, no.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by daks02: 1:00am On Aug 18, 2020
Please anyone apply for visit visa for their parents in February and gotten response? We applied for my MIL since February and no response yet. Anyone heard anything yet?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ligxy(f): 4:15am On Aug 18, 2020
AyabaS:

Really! Ladies aren’t allowed to create threads or what exactly is surprising you? I’m genuinely curious.

Mummy calm down, don't go all feminist on me. We ladies have a way of nursing our stuffs and I expected more involvement from her in the thread. The way you pipu lap up this "what a man can do.... " thingy is actually making things difficult for open minded people.
I'm female and I've created more than one thread on this platform.

16 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ligxy(f): 4:19am On Aug 18, 2020
oohunt:

Funny. I get that a lot. People always think I am a man, guess it’s in the way I write.
Thank you ma. It's the way you write and also the way you're not all over the thread forming ownership. grin grin grin

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ligxy(f): 4:28am On Aug 18, 2020
Mamaroon:
So just curious...I've heard it said that we can't be spraying our "parfum" anyhow because of collegues' allergies, please is there any other workplace "etiquette" we should prepare ourselves for? Firm handshake, eye contact...tick.....but are there any other nuances a typical Nigerian should pay attention to?

Weather for small talk...ok.....but do you talk hobbies, holidays etc with your colleagues....

Also when you move houses, do you go say hello to your new neighbour or is that nosey?
grin grin
Make we know if we can fry Puffpuff garnished with sugar to do new neighbor greetings.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sweetrie(f): 5:44am On Aug 18, 2020
Maverick22:
Why??
100% gift deed is allowed

Yes. She can transfer 100% to her husband

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by achievep: 6:11am On Aug 18, 2020
There is a course you can take with SOPA Online. You can check out their website and register as long as you have your COPR already.

Mamaroon:
So just curious...I've heard it said that we can't be spraying our "parfum" anyhow because of collegues' allergies, please is there any other workplace "etiquette" we should prepare ourselves for? Firm handshake, eye contact...tick.....but are there any other nuances a typical Nigerian should pay attention to?

Weather for small talk...ok.....but do you talk hobbies, holidays etc with your colleagues....or are these consided personal?

And ladies...do you make our hair however you like to work: braids (moderate length, not the 30inches kind), crochet, locs, kinky, twists, thread (kiko) grin? Makeup, nails, jewellery? Just seems Canadian employers are very easy going, mellow and I wonder what's considered "ok" versus "too much".

Also when you move houses, do you go say hello to your new neighbour or is that nosey?

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oludolao: 11:42am On Aug 18, 2020
Thank you very much gir this information. I am looking at Signal hill, Springbank hill, Strathcona Park, Bridlewood and Westsprings area. Thanks

rosepetraaa:

Calgary is quite spreadout, you know. If you let us know the school you're interested in, then one can give you suggestions. Saying SW is quite broad! You will need to be more specific.

Anyways, one community I like in SW is WestSpring. A lot of shopping in the area, St. Joan of Arc (K-9) in the area and the closest train station is 69th street... a good bus network from there to West Spring. Other communities close by are Cougar Ridge and Aspen Woods..I think there's an elementary school K-6 in Aspen Woods.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 11:43am On Aug 18, 2020
daks02:
Please anyone apply for visit visa for their parents in February and gotten response? We applied for my MIL since February and no response yet. Anyone heard anything yet?

I applied for an extension in Jan and got a response in June. You might want to call IRCC for an update.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 11:57am On Aug 18, 2020
I am good ooo... We thank God. How about you??

iaatmguy:

boss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LONGEST TIME
How is every every?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AyabaS: 5:06pm On Aug 18, 2020
Ligxy:

Mummy calm down, don't go all feminist on me. We ladies have a way of nursing our stuffs and I expected more involvement from her in the thread. The way you pipu lap up this "what a man can do.... " thingy is actually making things difficult for open minded people.
I'm female and I've created more than one thread on this platform.

Perhaps go back to your comment, you’re the one who alluded to the OP’s gender in disbelief. I did mention my curiosity as to why

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by koonleh: 10:12pm On Aug 18, 2020
Pls I just got admission for a graduate certificate course at Niagara college (1 yr), am a mother of 2 4 and 6. I want to knw Aw easy is it going to be with the children, and Aw easy for me to work and pay my rent and welfare. Thank u

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oohunt: 10:46pm On Aug 18, 2020
Just found these articles online. This is what would have happened to us if we went for a refund. They have a whole lot of reconciliation to do. Wamos Air abandoned the passengers they were supposed to take to Lagos from Newark, so 7 Star is in a mess.

http://worldtopnewsng.com/super-exclusive-wamos-air-7-star-global-olofin-mfb-drag-ooni-ogunwusis-name-in-the-mud-over-travelers-fund-for-chartered-flight-to-canada/

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2020/08/the-md-of-oloofin-microfinance-bank-debunks-words-against-7star-global-hangar/

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 12:15am On Aug 19, 2020
snowlordng:
Please is their anyone from obosi here who's already in Canada

Obosi apu oruk...../ Adi amama O gwa O. ������
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:20am On Aug 19, 2020
koonleh:
Pls I just got admission for a graduate certificate course at Niagara college (1 yr), am a mother of 2 4 and 6. I want to knw Aw easy is it going to be with the children, and Aw easy for me to work and pay my rent and welfare. Thank u
if you do not have money for living expenses already abort mission. You are to work 20 hours a weeks. That cannot pay your bills with 2 kids.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ligxy(f): 2:53am On Aug 19, 2020
AyabaS:

Perhaps go back to your comment, you’re the one who alluded to the OP’s gender in disbelief. I did mention my curiosity as to why
And I just explained why.. Take a deep breath dear, it's not that deep. grin

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 5:21am On Aug 19, 2020
Ominitayo:

Funny I got a notification on nairaland but there is nothing in my mail. I guess it's a bug or something.

Yes, I suspect it is a bug. Attached is a screenshot of what comes up when I attempt to send you a pm. You would notice that the subject and body field of the pm is blank. I had to manually type in a subject and body, which is unusual.

I have received the pm from @SamDD and @snoop4dem. However, I still encounter the bug when I try to send you a pm.

I wouldn't want you or me to post our email here because of web crawlers and scrapers. So, I have generated a temporary email. You may email me at kekaya2387@acceptmail.net. I would only keep the email address live for a few days. Once I receive your email I would kill the temporary email address and reply with my primary email address.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by einsteino(m): 5:54am On Aug 19, 2020
koonleh:

Congrats on the admission. To be honest it isn't easy to do, if not almost impossible. However, I have learnt that everything depends on how you plan out things and what you are willing to trade off. I am studying for a fulltime Masters degree and I have managed to swing a fulltime job along with it. TBH, it is torture, the kind that makes me realise that something has to give sooner than later. It's a life of high bp and wondering if you would make it through. However in the words of Friedrich Nietzsche,"He who has a why can bear almost any how". So, you have to really look inwards and ask yourself "what is your why?". Would it be concrete enough to propel you through such a demanding life? I hate to sound like a blind optimist or a delusional motivational speaker, but sometimes life is such a hell that a dab of optimism is the only way you can get out of bed. There are many people here with a story that should not have been possible, I know a few like that. However, you would also have to ask yourself if you have the resilience that their story demands.

If you don't mind my asking, are you coming as a permanent resident or you intend to apply for a student visa? Do you have a spouse? if yes, is he willing and able to take hold of the kids? Do you have relatives here that are willing and ready to accommodate you? How much do you have set aside for living expenses(I guess you have tuition sorted out already). I am sorry if my questions are intrusive but without these answers, it is difficult to help with a realistic answer to your question.

17 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Canada2019: 6:28am On Aug 19, 2020
can anyone please recommend a farm/butcher shop in Calgary to buy whole goat (not frozen).. everything I have come across so far is in edmonton
thanks

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ethelia(f): 8:22am On Aug 19, 2020
oohunt:
The story of my return to Canada.

Hello all, you may know (or not know me). I started this thread 3 years ago when I wanted to understand what it was going to take to live in Canada. We had our soft landing in 2017 which I shared.

We are currently observing our 14 day isolation. I am grateful to God that we are healthy, and may it continue this way, in Jesus name!!

Wow, very interesting. I could feel the stress you went through. I'm currently preparing to return to Canada as well. I hope everything has been smooth since you landed

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by legionISproteus: 8:49am On Aug 19, 2020
Mamaroon:

Weather for small talk...ok.....but do you talk hobbies, holidays etc with your colleagues....or are these consided personal?

And ladies...do you make our hair however you like to work: braids (moderate length, not the 30inches kind), crochet, locs, kinky, twists, thread (kiko) grin? Makeup, nails, jewellery? Just seems Canadian employers are very easy going, mellow and I wonder what's considered "ok" versus "too much".

It think it's better you mind your business. If it happens to get in the way of your colleagues, they will call your attention. Little steps
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lastborn111(m): 2:56pm On Aug 19, 2020
Hello people, good morning I arrived canada yesterday. Any whatsApp group to join in Saskatoon? I will like to get in touch please

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kabuki2018(m): 3:25pm On Aug 19, 2020
oohunt:
Hello everyone!

Someone is landing in Toronto on a chartered flight. Final destination is Calgary. Will it be problem if they enter a local flight from Toronto to Calgary?

Calgary presently requires a 14 day quarantine for anyone arriving into the city by air. Wearing of masks publicly is now mandatory. He should be cautious though. The media has reported quite a few covid transmissions from local flights.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by epdcan: 10:06pm On Aug 19, 2020
Hi
No, airfrance didn't require a covid test.

Welcome home!

oohunt:

I would advice anyone who wants to travel to go for Air France. They have a flight leaving every week, Thursdays. They did not respond to my emails. Not sure why. But they will be more structured. And yes, they demand for covid-19 test.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by egbaran(m): 9:11am On Aug 20, 2020
daks02:

I applied for visitors visa in d month of May and got d visa in d month of June buh my process was way different oooooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Silversurfer1: 5:24pm On Aug 20, 2020
oohunt:

You are right. We have 2 years + left.
Travelling back and forth, no.
Okay. Thanks. I wish you and your family the best in Canada
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by koonleh: 5:35pm On Aug 20, 2020
Kekereekun123:
if you do not have money for living expenses already abort mission. You are to work 20 hours a weeks. That cannot pay your bills with 2 kids.
. Ok thank you so much. pls can i get an idea of price of one bedroom with other bills. am trying to see the financial implications to journey so i can regrets.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:12pm On Aug 20, 2020
koonleh:
. Ok thank you so much. pls can i get an idea of price of one bedroom with other bills. am trying to see the financial implications to journey so i can regrets.
google it

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by koonleh: 6:47pm On Aug 20, 2020
einsteino:

Congrats on the admission. To be honest it isn't easy to do, if not almost impossible. However, I have learnt that everything depends on how you plan out things and what you are willing to trade off. I am studying for a fulltime Masters degree and I have managed to swing a fulltime job along with it. TBH, it is torture, the kind that makes me realise that something has to give sooner than later. It's a life of high bp and wondering if you would make it through. However in the words of Friedrich Nietzsche,"He who has a why can bear almost any how". So, you have to really look inwards and ask yourself "what is your why?". Would it be concrete enough to propel you through such a demanding life? I hate to sound like a blind optimist or a delusional motivational speaker, but sometimes life is such a hell that a dab of optimism is the only way you can get out of bed. There are many people here with a story that should not have been possible, I know a few like that. However, you would also have to ask yourself if you have the resilience that their story demands.

If you don't mind my asking, are you coming as a permanent resident or you intend to apply for a student visa? Do you have a spouse? if yes, is he willing and able to take hold of the kids? Do you have relatives here that are willing and ready to accommodate you? How much do you have set aside for living expenses(I guess you have tuition sorted out already). I am sorry if my questions are intrusive but without these answers, it is difficult to help with a realistic answer to your question.

thank you,
i am coming with a student visa, no husband,no relations

pls can i get an idea of price of one bedroom with other bills. am trying to see the financial implications to journey so i plan ahead. thank you

(1) (2) (3) ... (366) (367) (368) (369) (370) (371) (372) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.