Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,540 members, 7,808,991 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 08:41 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (457) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182515 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) (460) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekcheek: 11:31am On May 12, 2021
Ladies in the house please how easy and convenient is it to get a stylist in Canada that is good with natural hair? Especially in Newfoundland

I am considering cutting my hair before traveling as I wouldn’t want to be spending so much money on my hair as a student

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Oreoluwa97: 12:47pm On May 12, 2021
Itzlinda:

Even if I liquidate everything, I won't be able to raise 10 million naira now.
I just clicked 28 this month, considering I have just 2 years now to reach 30, what's the best way you think I can increase my score to 470 within a year or so.
Thanks

Why don’t you go for an Msc in National Open University (NOUN)?You can resume against next semester(August) and You can complete the msc programme in two semesters or at most three semesters by next year!!!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tracy0803409: 2:13pm On May 12, 2021
Goodday House,please am a newbie here,was directed to ask this question on this platform,Please which of these two cities is best,in terms of getting a good job and cost of living as an international student with a family,BRANTFORD or KITCHNER both in ontario province

Will be very grateful for your responses pls

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 4:25pm On May 12, 2021
sleekcheek:
Ladies in the house please how easy and convenient is it to get a stylist in Canada that is good with natural hair? Especially in Newfoundland

I am considering cutting my hair before traveling as I wouldn’t want to be spending so much money on my hair as a student

Join the club grin. It's not just the money, it's the associated inconvenience and stress. You can use wigs if you end up not feeling the short hair.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekcheek: 5:46pm On May 12, 2021
Wow, lemme charter plenty wigs before I leave. Thanks for the heads up

SlowlybtSurely:

Join the club grin. It's not just the money, it's the associated inconvenience and stress. You can use wigs if you end up not feeling the short hair.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 8:35pm On May 12, 2021
sleekcheek:

If you have natural luscious hair, you might want to consider putting it in locks instead of cutting it. You can always cut it later if you change your mind.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Virnee(f): 9:44pm On May 12, 2021
sleekcheek:

Knowing how expensive that would be, during the lockdown and while currently waiting for the travel restrictions to be eased, I went YouTube to learn how to DIY jumbo braids, etc..

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GraciousWords: 10:12pm On May 12, 2021
sleekcheek:

SlowlybtSurely:

If you have natural luscious hair, you might want to consider putting it in locks instead of cutting it. You can always cut it later if you change your mind.
Virnee:

Knowing how expensive that would be, during the lockdown and while currently waiting for the travel restrictions to be eased, I went YouTube to learn how to DIY jumbo braids, etc..

Another option apart from low cut, wigs and dreads is crochet.

If you can at least weave/cornrow your own hair all back into 8 or 10 lines, just get a crochet pin and take already braided crochet braids or spring twists along and you're good to go in under 1 hour. You can buy the crochet braids ready made packs or just get the extensions and have your regular salon make them into crochet for you.

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sleekcheek: 2:20am On May 13, 2021
Thanks a lot ladies, so very helpful. Locks are a no no for me tho but the crotchet and jumbo braids is definitely on the list. Will add them to the shopping list

Virnee:

Knowing how expensive that would be, during the lockdown and while currently waiting for the travel restrictions to be eased, I went YouTube to learn how to DIY jumbo braids, etc.. [quote author=SlowlybtSurely post=101630447]

[quote author=GraciousWords post=101633283]

If you can at least weave/cornrow your own hair all back into 8 or 10 lines, just get a crochet pin and take already braided crochet braids or spring twists along and you're good to go in under 1 hour. You can buy the crochet braids ready made packs or just get the extensions and have your regular salon make them into crochet for you.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Transformium: 4:24am On May 13, 2021
MrTeeo:

I school in SAIT Alberta. My fees per semester is 3700. Loan I got was 6000 grant 4,600. They just also approved for my next semester a loan of 7k and grant of 6300...

Hi, Could you please tell me the process for applying for a student loan/grant?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mikelarteta(m): 5:43am On May 13, 2021
Virnee:
Hello all, please is there hope of IRCC/Canada easing the travel restriction soon? CoPR will expire in May and we have been waiting to land... ny hope?

Yeah I think it will be eased in July

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mikelarteta(m): 5:45am On May 13, 2021
[quote author=OyiBeeBee post=101396784]Good morning. Please does anyone have CAD for sale?[/quot

Like how much you looking to buy?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mikelarteta(m): 5:56am On May 13, 2021
AbbyFasol:
Hello, is there any Nigeria whatsapp group for those in Canada? Preferably Calgary. My brother wants to join.

Send me a message referencing NL on 5876441029
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mikelarteta(m): 6:36am On May 13, 2021
beckycute1:
Good day all,
Is there an Alberta/Calgary group for Nigerians?
If yea, can someone pls add me up.
Will greatly appreciate.
Thank you!

Text or call me on +1 587 644 1029 and reference NL. Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Funky123(f): 8:46am On May 13, 2021
MrTeeo:

I school in SAIT Alberta. My fees per semester is 3700. Loan I got was 6000 grant 4,600. They just also approved for my next semester a loan of 7k and grant of 6300...

hello, I want to ask some questions, can I send a PM please
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 10:26am On May 13, 2021
GraciousWords:

Good suggestions.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 10:29am On May 13, 2021
jhoci:
I'm on Alberta Student Aid but studying in Ontario. My classmates on OSAP have way more grant than I do. In fact, Alberta did not give me any grant. The little grant I get is from the federal government.

Bang on. Ontario gives more grants especially to married people with kids.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by NaijaCanadian28: 1:21pm On May 13, 2021
Transformium:

Hi, Could you please tell me the process for applying for a student loan/grant?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hazelle: 12:25am On May 14, 2021
Please is there any group for new PRs in Toronto on Telegram? Someone should please add me or PM me the link.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amzzykeks(m): 3:41am On May 14, 2021
Good day all,
If you need CAD for payment of school fees or application fees or for exchange purpose, Kindly chat me up on WhatsApp; 07013608546 or search for KylieX on Telegram
Thank you all so much.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kyrie2018: 7:05am On May 14, 2021
Yes, you can. Please ask specific questions.

Adexxplace:
Hi kyrie, I would like to get more information about this program. Can I please send u an email?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lasignor(m): 10:19pm On May 14, 2021
amzzykeks:
Good day all,
If you need CAD for payment of school fees or application fees or for exchange purpose, Kindly chat me up on WhatsApp; 07013608546 or search for KylieX on Telegram
Thank you all so much.
Rate?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oyibo4real: 11:00pm On May 14, 2021
Hello Family,

I don Jand for ontario grin, and am currently under quarantine. My final destination is still Ontario(London specifically).
Please I need to be added to the Naija group in my city and province make I no go loss for here shocked

@Maziude, @naijaforeigner, @naijacanadian28 and everyone please oo, biko nu, e ma binu.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Anndav(f): 11:01pm On May 14, 2021
amzzykeks:
Good day all,
Thank you all so much.

Egungun be careful

U can pay ur fess from Nigeria at least you will be sure of ur transaction

Open a dollar account and pay urself your account will still be useful if you eventually travel

All dis con men are not resting they are everywhere and you have just made urself vulnerable
Lagbaja88:
true. The thread should be locked people are no longer interested in sharing information as most things have been shared already
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oyibo4real: 10:35pm On May 15, 2021
oyibo4real:
Hello Family,

I don Jand for ontario grin, and am currently under quarantine. My final destination is still Ontario(London specifically).
Please I need to be added to the Naija group in my city and province make I no go loss for here shocked

@Maziude, @naijaforeigner, @naijacanadian28 and everyone please oo, biko nu, e ma binu.

Please house oo, make una add me please.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by etrange: 1:06am On May 16, 2021
Hey guys!

Trust y'all had a great day.

I have a question for the Finance guys in the house, please. But before I ask, I'd like to give a background of my understanding based on personal research so that I'd be corrected where I am wrong and so that others can learn too. Please, feel free to jump to the question right away smiley

My understanding:
I know RRSP contribution room is the current year's deduction limit minus any unused (roll-over) contribution from the previous year (i.e. any contribution that was not used to deduct tax). And the current year's deduction limit is 18% of the previous year's annual income plus any contribution room that has not been fully utilized, that is if one didn't contribute up to the maximum amount for any year in the previous years (this is called unused contribution room and must not be confused with unused (roll-over) contribution explained above).

This implies that a new immigrant who has never lived in Canada before has zero contribution room for the year he landed given the fact that his previous year's annual income is zero, and such a person has to wait till the next working year to have a deduction limit (based on the previous year's income). In a case where such a person makes RRSP contributions the year he landed, the amount cannot be used to reduce tax at the end of the year (i.e. it cannot be deducted from taxable income because the individual has zero contribution room for the year). And if such contributions amount to anything above $2,000, the individual is taxed 1% per month for every month the extra cash stays in his account and a penalty of 5% if the extra cash is not withdrawn or reported 60 days after the end of the financial year (late tax filing). Such a person has the options of either withdrawing the cash or going ahead to file his tax and carrying the cash over to the next year as unused contribution (which must be deducted from the next year's deduction limit in order to get his new contribution room as explained the in the paragraph above). Whichever way, the person might still have to pay the monthly 1% tax (and a possible 5% penalty if he files his tax late) if he does not come up with any good explanation for the over-contribution. Such payments (monthly 1% or 5% penalty) are made by filling the T1-OVP 2020 Individual Tax Return for RRSP, PRPP and SPP Excess Contributions form.

My Questions:
1) Is my understanding correct?
2) What happens if the first organization the new immigrant works for the year he landed automatically deducts and contributes RRSP on behalf of the employees?
3) As new immigrants, we have very limited contribution rooms for RRSP (going from explanation above) and TFSA (anyone that landed last year only as 12k TFSA contribution room i.e. 6k for 2020 and 6k for 2021). This leaves us with the option of using unregistered accounts for investments. Anyone already doing this? What are the things to look out for when using unregistered accounts for investments?

Looking forward to your answers!

NB: Please, feel free to go technical or use Finance terms if necessary as I have a working knowledge of Finance. smiley

Thanks!

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 6:19am On May 16, 2021
@etrange

1. Correct to the best of my own limited knowledge
2. Whether you contribute, whether your employer contributes, the rules still apply. No leeway if you exceeded your contribution room because of employer contribution.
3. Popular mantra on a lot of online forums is Just buy _GRO or _EQT (whether registered or unregistered). Also this simplifies filing taxes (single ETF vs multiple trades).

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pee2Jay9: 11:05am On May 16, 2021
Hello house, happy Sunday.

I've arrived Canada and currently in my school quarantine in Regina. My next step is to get a house and open an account and get a sim card. Please I'll like answers for the following-

1. Kindly explain the credit card system to me and if it's compulsory or necessary.
2. Also advise on which bank here will favor me the most in terms of charges and taxes.
3. I always used to save with stanbic mutual funds in naija and spend after it has earned, meaning my savings account used to be empty most times, are there such options here?

I've read up on Google but I didn't really get it, so I'll really appreciate anyone to break it down in easier terms for me. Thanks alot team.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 11:11am On May 16, 2021
Pee2Jay9:
Hello house, happy Sunday.

I've arrived Canada and currently in my school quarantine in Regina. My next step is to get a house and open an account and get a sim card. Please I'll like answers for the following-

1. Kindly explain the credit card system to me and if it's compulsory or necessary.
2. Also advise on which bank here will favor me the most in terms of charges and taxes.
3. I always used to save with stanbic mutual funds in naija and spend after it has earned, meaning my savings account used to be empty most times, are there such options here?

I've read up on Google but I didn't really get it, so I'll really appreciate anyone to break it down in easier terms for me. Thanks alot team.
1. Compulsory to build your credit score, there are tons of videos on YouTube watch.
2, most banks have something for new comers. Try rbc or cibc.
3. No, most investments here have small returns like 0. 5% to 2% per annum. Which is basically a waste of time.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 2:36pm On May 16, 2021
ednut1:

1. Compulsory to build your credit score, there are tons of videos on YouTube watch.
2, most banks have something for new comers. Try rbc or cibc.
3. No, most investments here have small returns like 0. 5% to 2% per annum. Which is basically a waste of time.

Conservative investment here is about the power of compound interest. Makes it a long term game, not a waste of time. Long term game also means that periods with high rates (like just before a couple of years ago) will balance out periods with low rates (like last 2 years).

However if one is willing to take risk, they can go for crypto and individual stocks for higher returns. More risk, more gain.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mimik2: 2:43pm On May 16, 2021
Hi guys, please I need some information.
In trying to hedge against Naira inflation by putting money in a foreign account, I am thinking of opening a savings account here in Canada as I am currently visiting.
Based on your experience, which of the banks would you recommend I go for in terms of zero service charge, tax and easy access outside Canada?
Although I plan calling the top banks for enquires, just wanna be double sure.
I will really appreciate a response, thanks.
@blackbuddy @maternal
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by o2(f): 7:48pm On May 16, 2021
Hello,

I am planning to travel to London this Summer for something very important. I am a PR with a Nigerian Passport. I would like to know if I need to apply for a VISA from Canada here.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (454) (455) (456) (457) (458) (459) (460) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.