Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,370 members, 7,781,037 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 07:51 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (472) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2158364 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) ... (708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Alchemist01: 9:10pm On Jun 15, 2021
@Phabulous88 @Zodiacwarrior

Any ideas the documents that I will need to show them at the bank asides my study visa ?

So that I will not have to go twice.
Zodiacwarrior:

Good day @alchemist01

@Phabulous88 is very much right it is called PTA and you are entitled to 4000usd quartly limit at cbn rate just walk into any bank and you tell them you travelling and they ask for some documents and sell to you.

Hope this helps.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 9:10pm On Jun 15, 2021
YesLadyN:

Update!
Accra returned my passport on Friday without the stamp undecided

Now, Ircc has given me instructions to send my passport again. Question is, can I send it to Abuja VAC instead? I learnt the passport will go to Nairobi VO. Reason why I’m considering Abuja is that I have not been able to get hold of who’d help me pay in Ghana cedis to Accra VAC.

Pls I’d like to know if the VO I send my passport to matters since I’ve already used Accra before

Wow!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 9:25pm On Jun 15, 2021
SlowlybtSurely:

Nice. Innisfil? Essa?
Cookstown, next to Innisfil
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmaker: 11:00pm On Jun 15, 2021
Hi guys!
Please who has used fidelity and GTBank for POF? I was told at fidelity that the reference letter would not indicate all the items listed by ircc, but simply a letter that I have maintained the account for a duration. The letter of indebtedness would be issued separately.
Please how do I manoeuvre this? No 6months average to be stated.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by alteco007(m): 11:02pm On Jun 15, 2021
Queenmaker:
Hi guys!
Please who has used fidelity and GTBank for POF? I was told at fidelity that the reference letter would not indicate all the items listed by ircc, but simply a letter that I have maintained the account for a duration. The letter of indebtedness would be issued separately.

Hi, I used GTBank and the average balance was on the letter. No idea on fidelity
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluayebenz: 11:02pm On Jun 15, 2021
Alchemist01:

Any ideas the documents that I will need to show them at the bank asides my study visa ?

Bank will request for your Visa and a confirmed air ticket

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 11:04pm On Jun 15, 2021
ednut1:
Cookstown, next to Innisfil

Ah! Cute small town.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Deepsea14: 1:00am On Jun 16, 2021
Are you in AB?? @Blurpy
Where are AB prospective Pharmacists moving to?
(in the light of the recent ACP policy)

Blurpy:
I . I would have been done with internship by then
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by OnyiJust: 2:59am On Jun 16, 2021
Alchemist01:

- Your International passport with your valid visa within
- Copy of your return ticket (It MUST be a return ticket. PTA is not given for one-way ticket).
- Your trip should be within fourteen days of your request for PTA. I suggest you apply for it on the 14th day to the date of your trip so that if there is any delay, it won't be so close to the date of your trip.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by adesbaba: 6:58am On Jun 16, 2021
Hello family

Please what advice do you have for someone that will like to continue his banking career in Canada...Presently on the second grade after Executive trainee,branch staff,Msc Accounting,CFA Investment Foundations and CIBN in view ....less than 29 yrs.

Are there courses I can register for in Nigeria?...Do I need to go back to school to study particular courses??.... and so on

Many Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by phabulous88(m): 10:47am On Jun 16, 2021
Queenmaker:
Hi guys!

Banks and stupidd policies.
How difficult is it to issue you a letter stating your average balance for 6 months?! Your own account o! Information that can be extracted in less then 30 seconds.
And after they will be blaming Buhari
Nigeria will just frustrate you left, right, center, up and down.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by YesLadyN: 11:49am On Jun 16, 2021
Amakaoyekachi1:
We were very good, all up till this year, if something had transpired between us would I come to Nairaland to be seeking for advice? I waited for 4months before I came here when a friend advised me to seek opinions on Nairaland, he gave me his supervisor number by himself and some other details which I could use this trying period. When I say family members are not saying anything, the last time I spoke to them which was yesterday they told me to move down to their house( family house), that I should not be worried or overthink anything that my husband is fine, I should just relax. Same thing they told my family but I do relax without been agitated. I won’t do anything bad to him, I just want to see the limit I can push him to make him talk and know what’s in dark, even if it’s a divorce. How do you file a divorce with someone that in incommunicado? Family members will now say I am not a virtuous wife( African mentality) they might even say I have someone I want to runaway with. The only thing his family have been screaming in my ears is to be patient and yesterday they told me to move my load and come and live with them.

I’m so sorry you have to go through this. Even though some here weren’t so receptive of your story, I believe you did get some solid advice from those who empathised with you. Sorry you have complicit in-laws. If you accept to move in with them, you’d accept so much more that you wouldn’t like. I hope your family can stand firm to protect you. Like someone here said, it’s not in your power alone to make your marriage work. Don’t let anyone bully you into accepting what you won’t stand for. Hopefully when your husband sees this thread, he can come here to justify how he couldn’t communicate with you - because he’s being held in captivity in Canada, abi?! But until then, your side of the story is what counts.

Keep us posted. Peace.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Alchemist01: 4:19pm On Jun 16, 2021
Ohhh, my ticket is one way, no return ticket cus I am going as an international student.

That means I do not qualify for PTA right ?

OnyiJust:

- Your International passport with your valid visa within
- Copy of your return ticket (It MUST be a return ticket. PTA is not given for one-way ticket).
- Your trip should be within fourteen days of your request for PTA. I suggest you apply for it on the 14th day to the date of your trip so that if there is any delay, it won't be so close to the date of your trip.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Madcow(m): 4:38pm On Jun 16, 2021
Madcow:
We oftentimes have amnesia as it relates to Gods faithfulness and how he has helped even with things that seem so little and insignificant. I write this to hopefully encourage whoever reads to firstly trust God that although you may not be where exactly you want to be, trust God and he would comfort you and help you.
I had my soft landing with my family in December 2019, In the 4 week period, God blessed us with good people, quality accommodation fully furnished, and my full drivers license one-time. My family was settled so I went back to Nigeria to prepare, for my hard landing. I gave myself 3 months to prepare (work my notice period and liquidate assets in Nigeria).
God was so kind; a friend took over my apartment alongside everything I wanted to dispose off (saving me from the stress of selling items in piecemeal) paid the rent, bought my car and paid upfront and moved in with me. Then Covid-19 hit, and the airports were locked… confusion erupted! Nonetheless, God was still kind. My former place of work extended my notice to cover whenever I was able to leave the country and also my friend accommodated me in my former apartment at no cost to me.
Towards the end of June 2020, I got an evacuation flight at a miraculous price and returned on my hard-landing as we call it here. The first couple of days in self-isolation were very restful. I slept ate watched tv and continued sleeping. By the end of the 1st week I became bored and I decided to start applying for jobs. When I got my first rejection email, it hit me hard and all of a sudden confusion erupted again as I began to question my decision to leave Nigeria. The novelty of being close to my wife and kids soon faded. I tried to pray but nothing was coming out. Later that day, I came across an old friend’s testimony on his wife’s Instagram page #healo’clock. He was speaking about faith in the fire and how he turned to worshiped whenever he found himself in a dark place. There and then I began to worship, and the Holy Spirit brought to my remembrance Gods promises to me that He had prepared and is bringing me into a beautiful future.
Looking for a job is a job in itself, editing one’s CV and to reflect the JD of each job advert is no easy task. In my entire career, all the jobs I have held were either through referrals or headhunting, I have never really had to apply so looking for a job was new terrain. I did not want to live on our savings so I discussed with my wife, exploring the possibility to purchase a vehicle and drive on a ride-hailing service at least until I got a Job. We prayed and agreed but the Master Planner was working in the background. Later that day, my land lady called to ask if I had a driver’s license and mentioned that she knows I would need a car to move around, advising me not to purchase a car yet until things stabilized and there is a genuine need. She handed me car keys to one of her cars for my use (this is a 2018 car, and it is 8 months and counting, I am still using the car not having to pay for insurance just fuel)
On the 10th of July 2020, I got a random email from a lady I networked with during my soft landing (She is an immigrant herself from Iran and she advised on getting a survival job that may not necessarily be in line with your career path, so one is able to earn and spend without diminishing ones savings) asking if I was still searching and if I was interested in a work from home sales opportunity. I answered yes and to cut the long story short, I got a job offer on the 24th of July to start on the 1st of August.
I had not done sales in the past; it was new terrain. I remember during the orientation training after a poor presentation I was so sad/frustrated, thinking to myself “me that was an Oga in Lagos and subject matter expert in my field now selling and imploring people to buy items I don’t even believe they need”.
I started the job and was doing enough to get by and applying for other opportunities (come and see rejection email… brekete) I developed thick skin and could not even be bothered to read the rejection email or give myself totally into applying to other opportunities. In September and October, I was on Performance Improvement Plan and if no improvement by the 3rd month (November) I would be out of work. My prayer point changed, in addition to landing the international job, I began to ask God to help me do the one that my hands found to do with all my might as Ecclesiastes told us. To cut the long tori short, In Dec 2020 I was ranked #2 out of over 340 salespeople in the Company, in Jan 2021 I was #1 and now in Feb MTD I am ranked #1 and the sales commission is going a long way. I cannot say I am special or better than others but all I can say is Na Baba GOD do am!
Today, I got a rejection email from an application I made to an international company, it pained me because I had 2 panel interviews, a full-day assessment center and final interview with the CEO. Initially, I was sad, but I refuse to have amnesia. I remember Gods promises and how He has helped and blessed me in the past and I have hope in the truth that He will bless and help me again. My story has encouraged me and I hope it will encourage someone else that although this journey not appear to be easy nonetheless God is omnipresent and he is still in the background working things out for your good.
I cannot wait to come back to tell you that God has done it!

God has done it!

I remember when I shared my last testimony, I promised to come back and updates you all in all honesty I have many reasons to be thankful to God considering all he has done for me he loves me so tenderly he thinks about me he considers everything.

Between then and now a lot of waters have gone under the bridge. I was putting in applications and suffering rejections. On most of the occasions I had done the second level and even final interview even presented to the CEO’s and still rejection. Initially, I developed thick skin but over time it began to get to me and there was almost no motivation to apply to other opportunities. I was enjoying my current role, however, I wanted more primarily because I knew I had the capacity to do more.

In March, I was assigned a new manager and things were good, I was doing my work and making progress and suddenly, I was redeployed to another brand. Initially I was happy, I saw it as progress with additional responsibility but when the renumeration did not change, my eyes cleared. I wanted to challenge the redeployment, because the thought of building my credibility again from scratch did not sit very well with me since ‘I had been there done that.’ I went back into the place of prayer to ask God why and in my grumbling the Lord reminded me “whatsoever work your hands find to do, do it with all your might”

I started learning the new brand products, systems, applications, and processes. During the onboarding process, there were some negative experiences that left a sour taste in my mouth, getting to work every day was becoming an uphill task. During my breaks, I would go out to worship and pray because that was the only way my spirit could be lifted.

Sometime in the beginning of May, I got a word of prophecy from an online prayer meeting I attend (Kornerstone Counselling Center http://kstonecc.org/) that “what is mine is mine and nobody will take that which is mine.” I was thankful, and I continued praying with that until
I received another rejection, and I became weak. I could not understand this one because we had negotiated pay and I was basically waiting for an offer. On the 24th of May, the Lord in his mercy knowing I was feeling downtrodden sent another word of prophecy with a timeline “that it will happen suddenly, that people have lined up to help me and I will see manifestation before the end of the week.” In my mind, I laughed because I did not have any major applications pending.

On Friday 28th May in the morning, I received an offer for a part-time lecturer role I applied to a long time ago. Initially I was confused because I did not think it wise to leave my full-time permanent role for a part-time offer. I discussed with my wife, and we prayed then we decided to accept the offer. In the afternoon that same Friday, I received another offer for a consultancy role which was also part-time. The pay combined was significantly more than what I was earning, so I began to thank God well because things had balanced out.

The God we serve is a humorous God. On Monday the 31st of May. I received an invite to complete an on-demand interview for another institution which I completed immediately, that same Monday in the afternoon, I received a call from the same Institution asking for my availability for a second level interview. I told them I was available immediately so they setup a teams call, and we had the Interview. It was quite interesting because at the end of the interview they asked for my references. On Tuesday the 1st of June, they made me an offer (with pay well over double what I was earning) and full-time, asking if I am available to start on Wednesday 2nd June which I gladly obliged.

As if that was not enough, on Wednesday the 2nd of June, I received a call from the company I used to work for in Nigeria. They had somewhat of a crisis and needed someone to rescue the situation. They gave me a blank cheque in relation to how much I wanted to earn and for old times’ sake I said yes!

As of my writing this, I have assumed all four roles all of which are work from home at my own time. The primary application I was required to learn after I was redeployed is what I use in one of the new jobs. In all honesty, it is a lot of work and truly an amazing learning experience. Sometimes I am petrified about the feats I must deliver, nonetheless; I know God will help me! The Lord is too faithful to fail me and that He is too faithful to disappoint me… He has proven Himself in my life and I have come to realize that He is too faithful to fail me… what He starts He always finishes.

My prayer now is for God to give me strength, wisdom, and an excellent spirit to deliver exceptionally with good success across all four roles… and again I will come back to testify.

81 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TitilayoAde: 5:20pm On Jun 16, 2021
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JORDAN55: 5:38pm On Jun 16, 2021
Hello,
I came into canada last november on study permit, Last week , I got this email(screenshot below) from IRCC asking me to renew my medical. I want to know if it I should ignore considering that I am already in Canada or I should go and renew the medical as requested.

Kindly help me house !

1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmaker: 5:50pm On Jun 16, 2021
alteco007:

Hi, I used GTBank and the average balance was on the letter. No idea on fidelity
Thanks. I went to another Fidelity branch and was told the same thing. Na wa.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmaker: 5:57pm On Jun 16, 2021
phabulous88:

Banks and stupidd policies.
How difficult is it to issue you a letter stating your average balance for 6 months?! Your own account o! Information that can be extracted in less then 30 seconds.
And after they will be blaming Buhari
Nigeria will just frustrate you left, right, center, up and down.
The matter just tire me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by OnyiJust: 10:54pm On Jun 16, 2021
Alchemist01:
Ohhh, my ticket is one way, no return ticket cus I am going as an international student.

That means I do not qualify for PTA right ?

Sorry but No you won't qualify.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Simsimz(f): 1:39am On Jun 17, 2021
Madcow:

He has proven Himself in my life and I have come to realize that He is too faithful to fail me… what He starts He always finishes.

My prayer now is for God to give me strength, wisdom, and an excellent spirit to deliver exceptionally with good success across all four roles… and again I will come back to testify.

Amen. He sure will. Congratulations

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JORDAN55: 2:05pm On Jun 17, 2021
JORDAN55:
Hello,
I came into canada last november on study permit, Last week , I got this email(screenshot below) from IRCC asking me to renew my medical. I want to know if it I should ignore considering that I am already in Canada or I should go and renew the medical as requested.

Kindly help me house !

Hello house, please help !!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rosepetraaa: 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2021
JORDAN55:

Call IRCC. I'm sure it's a system generated mail.

Since you're already in Canada, I don't think you need the medicals.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 8:05pm On Jun 17, 2021
JORDAN55:

Ignore it.

It is an error. Most people got it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mamababe(f): 8:52pm On Jun 17, 2021
Congratulations, thanks for sharing this wonderful testimony. May we all be favoured in the land
[quote author=Madcow post=102788910]

God has done it!

I remember when I shared my last testimony, I promised to come back and updates you all in all honesty I have many reasons to be thankful to God considering all he has done for me he loves me so tenderly he thinks about me he considers everything.

Between then and now a lot of waters have gone under the bridge. I was putting in applications and suffering rejections. On most of the

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tinyemeka(m): 9:52pm On Jun 17, 2021
maziude:

This is totally dependent on the VO that would handle your case. While some vo might be generous some have no joy (because you folks presented the opportunity to them).

Find an immigration lawyer or wait for a year before you apply.

In fact once she get to Canada, let her look for an immigration lawyer and narrate to them. They would advice accordingly.

PS: She shouldn’t have said no. There are other things/people she could have used as home ties. In fact , once a married person is applying for study visa, the expectation most of the vo’s have is that their family will join them. I am sure she would have still gotten the visa even if she says you guys are coming with her.

If in her study visa application, she had stated that she'd be travelling with her family, what else could she use as home ties?

Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JORDAN55: 1:07am On Jun 18, 2021
maziude:

Ignore it.

It is an error. Most people got it.

Thank you ��
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jideks: 2:24pm On Jun 18, 2021
Hello everyone,
I just got PPR for my Masters program. I'm headed to Western University. Please is anyone here based in London Ontario? I would like to know what life is like?
Is there any WhatsApp or telegram group?
Can anyone help me secure accommodation that is very close to Western, such that I won't need transport?
Ps: I'm a lady
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sapte(f): 4:16pm On Jun 18, 2021
Hello all, please how much should I show as POF when applying for my husband and kids SOWP.

I want to get started with theres once I land
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 4:44pm On Jun 18, 2021
Knelsoon:
Can anyone recommend a good business I can invest $70kcad into few months after landing in canada.

I am already looking into some businesses but since I am not on ground yet, it's been a little difficult getting the real time infos. I don't know if $70k will be enough.

Hopefully I will be landing in Calgary in few months, waiting for IRCC.

Recommendations are welcomed. Thank you.

How about invest in real estate. Like preconstruction (off plan construction) you'll need to pay the initial deposit on the property to the developer. Like a condo worth $400,000 say deposit is 15% $60,000 which you have to pay. In about 18 months to 3 years (average construction life cycle) towards completion the value would have increased to around $500,000. You sell the condo via assignment this should be stated in the initial agreement with the developer that you can assign your unit to someone else.

You (assignor) sell your unit "piece of paper" to the new buyer (assignee). They pay the initial deposit back to you $60,000 and on final closing after they have secured a mortgage they pay the developer $340,000 and the balance of $100,000 to you.

So in a space of 2 to 3 years you have earned $100,000 from $60,000 making a total of $160,000.

The Holy of grail of real estate.

37 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by SlowlybtSurely: 4:51pm On Jun 18, 2021
^^^ Solid advice.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by miolad20(m): 4:57pm On Jun 18, 2021
Search on Youtube for Onyeka Asamaka or Osariemen Opaluwa. They make videos on life in London, ON.

Jideks:
Hello everyone,
I just got PPR for my Masters program. I'm headed to Western University. Please is anyone here based in London Ontario? I would like to know what life is like?
Is there any WhatsApp or telegram group?
Can anyone help me secure accommodation that is very close to Western, such that I won't need transport?
Ps: I'm a lady

7 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (469) (470) (471) (472) (473) (474) (475) ... (708) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Oladim001(m)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 89
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.