Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,480 members, 7,781,404 topics. Date: Friday, 29 March 2024 at 01:56 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (483) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2158476 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 8:17pm On Jul 16, 2021
Marykelly:
Hi everyone, please I need advice on the best route to take, I have my ICAN with 4years plus professional experience and I intend to get my CPA would it be better to;
1. Take ACCA and then convert to CPA or
2. Taking the CPA directly or
3. Take a diploma and then pursue CPA
Thanks for your responses.
Option 1 is not more possible.
For option 2 and 3, compare costs and time lines. Employers will be able to relate to option 2 more
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by unitedCA: 12:25am On Jul 17, 2021
nowhere:
Start first. They may not give her if she states she has her husband here. Traditionally, she is not your fiancee, she is your wife but Canada wants the marriage certificate to prove she is your spouse.

Had it been you have the certificate, she would just try the visit visa and while here you guys file for spousal sponsorship within Canada after say four months she gets her open work permit.

Yea, I just have to try and put in my best... Thanks for the advice
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by unitedCA: 12:26am On Jul 17, 2021
Dimple10:
I think that she can come in with a visitor's visa, you get married at the court in Canada and you file for change of status but you will need proof of relationship to go with your application cos they will ask.

Definitely...proof of relationship must be established . Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by unitedCA: 12:29am On Jul 17, 2021
OyiBeeBee:
You can apply for vistiors visa for her under family reunification (citing that she's your fiance)
You'd also have to fill an authorization to travel orm which would be notarized by a lawyer and submit alongside the application.

In your invitation letter, make sure you clearly state and convince the visa officer beyond all reasonable doubt that she will return back to her country after the visit. Because the major reason she'd be denied a visitors visa is based on family ties in Canada (YOU)

family reunification .. Yes!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by unitedCA: 12:32am On Jul 17, 2021
NaijaCanadian28:

This is what my friend did…. She got a visitors visa, came to Canada, her hubby applied for her PR , at that point she was able to apply for a open work permit. She applied for that and it was approved and she was able to use that to work and get OHIP. One year after her PR was approved. They did court wedding in Nigeria before she came here. You and your fiancé can do a court wedding here when she’s able to travel to Canada.

Thank you for your advice.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Teau: 3:11am On Jul 17, 2021
Thank you.

Please any info on how to get affordable accommodation in Regina, Saskatchewan.

maziude:

Check cic website. There are travel guidelines there.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Sterling289128: 8:43am On Jul 17, 2021
For those living in British Columbia, which one of Coquitlam or New Westminster is better as a student to live in?
Any idea of the cost of two bedroom there and lastly, is there a group for those living in British Columbia?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Davidganna10: 9:00am On Jul 17, 2021
ednut1:
carry your negativity away. No immigration pathway lasts forever anyways, Canada cannot stop it anytime soon. They have an aging population and will keep having. Average Canadians Today want to be dog and cat mums instead of having real children lol
you no go blame. Cost of raising kids are expensive, even with the government monthly child benefit.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by RELAN2446(m): 9:06am On Jul 17, 2021
Hello house
I will be travelling to Toronto on August 20 through Ethiopian airline, by then I will ve been fully been vacinated. Am looking for someone to share Airbnb for the 14days quarantine plan or someone we can travel together. Kindly dm if you are in this category or if you ve advise you can give me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Marykelly: 11:51am On Jul 17, 2021
Thank you
ednut1:

Option 1 is not more possible.
For option 2 and 3, compare costs and time lines. Employers will be able to relate to option 2 more
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maziude: 1:34pm On Jul 17, 2021
RELAN2446:
Hello house
I will be travelling to Toronto on August 20 through Ethiopian airline, by then I will ve been fully been vacinated. Am looking for someone to share Airbnb for the 14days quarantine plan or someone we can travel together. Kindly dm if you are in this category or if you ve advise you can give me.

You may be exempted from quarantining.

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/fully-vaccinated-travellers-covid-19.html
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Bhyy(m): 1:41pm On Jul 17, 2021
Hi All,

Anyone going to New Brunswick via Toronto/Montreal by early September? Kindly reach out so we can split hotel cost.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blurpy: 6:10pm On Jul 17, 2021
Truth
Deltayankeeboi:
It’s not about negativity. This was what I meant @bolded. I have come to learn that opportunities like this come with a certain timeframe and those who who get to utilize it during that time are the winners.

I read somewhere that MasterCard foundation scholarship in Canada which had been in existence for over 10 years was stopped early this year I think. So imagine people that were being hopeful of applying probably next year, that opportunity is gone.
Immigration opportunities are just in a constant state of flux, anything can happen or change in a minute.

I pray they don’t actually stop the express entry pathway anytime soon just like you said.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ednut1(m): 5:45am On Jul 18, 2021
Naigara falls

12 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Alchemist01: 8:44am On Jul 18, 2021
Are the following allowed when travelling to Canada from Nigeria?

Fried meat
Groundnut oil
Dried fish
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by saskatoonguy: 9:11am On Jul 18, 2021
Good Day Seniors in the house, I need your advice....

My wife and I finished Masters from UI and we evaluated the Masters degree with WES which we later used in the Express Pool.

As at the time that we sent the transcript for WES evaluation, the Certificate was not ready, so we only uploaded the Notification of result on our WES portal.

Fastforward to some months later, the Certificate was released and we found out that there was mistake on the date of birth on the Certificate. They misplaced Day as Month & Month as Date.

Our Score in the Pool is in the 480s and we are hoping to receive ITA once the FSW draw resumes whereas University of Ibadan cannot effect the changes on time as they said they only print Certificate from abroad. The real date of birth is May 1, 1989 which can rewritten as 01/05/1989 or 05/01/1989(US style). But they wrote January 5, 1989 whereas my month of birth is May. Same Mistake was done for almost all my mate

Hope you saw where the mistake is?

Please what can we do incase we receive ITA soonest and we are to submit our application because the error is corrected?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmama03(f): 10:01am On Jul 18, 2021
I'm trying to find accommodation in Fredericton, New Brunswick. Don't know why I'm not getting response in kijiji, I'm probably not doing something right. Anyone with useful information regarding this please help a sister.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dimple10: 10:27am On Jul 18, 2021
Alchemist01:
Are the following allowed when travelling to Canada from Nigeria?

Fried meat
Groundnut oil
Dried fish

Why Are you planning to travel with groundnut oil? It can pour and mess up your luggage plus its not expensive as far as i know.
You should consult cic website for the meat and fish to be sure.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nifnifemi: 10:33am On Jul 18, 2021
It depends on where your school is located.

My school is in Vancouver and i am looking at Surrey.

Sterling289128:
For those living in British Columbia, which one of Coquitlam or New Westminster is better as a student to live in?
Any idea of the cost of two bedroom there and lastly, is there a group for those living in British Columbia?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Dimple10: 10:36am On Jul 18, 2021
saskatoonguy:
Good Day Seniors in the house, I need your advice....

My wife and I finished Masters from UI and we evaluated the Masters degree with WES which we later used in the Express Pool.

As at the time that we sent the transcript for WES evaluation, the Certificate was not ready, so we only uploaded the Notification of result on our WES portal.

Fastforward to some months later, the Certificate was released and we found out that there was mistake on the date of birth on the Certificate. They misplaced Day as Month & Month as Date.

Our Score in the Pool is in the 480s and we are hoping to receive ITA once the FSW draw resumes whereas University of Ibadan cannot effect the changes on time as they said they only print Certificate from abroad. The real date of birth is May 1, 1989 which can rewritten as 01/05/1989 or 05/01/1989(US style). But they wrote January 5, 1989 whereas my month of birth is May. Same Mistake was done for almost all my mate

Hope you saw where the mistake is?

Please what can we do incase we receive ITA soonest and we are to submit our application because the error is corrected?

Already responded on the other thread but see here
Just get an affidavit abi age declaration plus original birth certificate if you have. add an LOE explaining discrepancies. If the correct date was on the statement of result, that helps too. @saskatoonguy

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lola14: 10:55am On Jul 18, 2021
Happy Sunday guys

I am interested in having a female flat mate
going to British Cloumbia.

Please send a mail.

Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by itwillendinprai: 2:31pm On Jul 18, 2021
Please family, I honestly need your clarification on this matter as am on a very tight corner now.

I arrived Canada in May with a student Visa, I paid my first semester fee before coming and recently paid for 2nd Semester fee with the intention that I'll complete my program. However, as a mature student with unique situation and a child here, It's been too much struggle for me and it's already affecting my grades.

Lately, am beginning to consider other easier or better options of getting PR without violating the terms and conditions of my study permit, one of which is the Pilot program for Child Care giver/Personal Support Worker.

1.) Please does a study permit holder qualify for it?

2.) If yes, are there any implication? Like, misrepresentation issue?

3.) Is there any other better option for me as I realized am not ready for studies now considering the stress I went through before coming here to face study stress again.

4.) If it's possible, which province is more favorable as am willing to relocate anywhere to achieve the PR/Citizenship dream?

5.) Is it necessary to withdraw my husband's SOWP application to avoid misrepresentation issue?

6.) I still have plans to go back to school, but that will be after settling down, this time as part-time

Please I'd really appreciate your contribution on this matter so as to make the right decision on time before losing my 2nd Semester fee as there's deadline for withdrawal.

Thank you all in advance.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:37pm On Jul 18, 2021
itwillendinprai:
Please family, I honestly need your clarification on this matter as am on a very tight corner now.

I arrived Canada in May with a student Visa, I paid my first semester fee before coming and recently paid for 2nd Semester fee with the intention that I'll complete my program. However, as a mature student with unique situation and a child here, It's been too much struggle for me and it's already affecting my grades.

Lately, am beginning to consider other easier or better options of getting PR without violating the terms and conditions of my study permit, one of which is the Pilot program for Child Care giver/Personal Support Worker.

3.) Is there any other better option for me as I realized am not ready for studies now considering the stress I went through before coming here to face study stress again.

4.) If it's possible, which province is more favorable as am willing to relocate anywhere to achieve the PR/Citizenship dream?

5.) Is it necessary to withdraw my husband's SOWP application to avoid misrepresentation issue?

6.) I still have plans to go back to school, but that will be after settling down, this time as part-time

Please I'd really appreciate your contribution on this matter so as to make the right decision on time before losing my 2nd Semester fee as there's deadline for withdrawal.

this is why I usually laugh when people attempt this. You came as a student to study not to do psw, your best bet is to return your child to Nigeria, complete your studies. Looks for job and apply for pr using provinces nomination or cec. This is a lesson to many who think they can easily hustle their schools fees. If you dont have money or a sponsor stay away from Canada

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Queenmama03(f): 7:57pm On Jul 18, 2021
If you put your mind to it, you can do it. With the way you sound you've already convinced yourself that you can't complete your studies. The path you want to thread is risky, I'll advise you hang in there, complete your studies and try to get a job. Remember that nothing good comes easy.

itwillendinprai:

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 8:44pm On Jul 18, 2021
Queenmama03:
If you put your mind to it, you can do it. With the way you sound you've already convinced yourself that you can't complete your studies. The path you want to thread is risky, I'll advise you hang in there, complete your studies and try to get a job. Remember that nothing good comes easy.

Work and study at full-time is not humane. You see folks split and add more semesters to complete their studies.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by itwillendinprai: 9:17pm On Jul 18, 2021
Lagbaja88:
this is why I usually laugh when people attempt this. You came as a student to study not to do psw, your best bet is to return your child to Nigeria, complete your studies. Looks for job and apply for pr using provinces nomination or cec. This is a lesson to many who think they can easily hustle their schools fees. If you dont have money or a sponsor stay away from Canada

You just judged me wrongly, but it's fine, I still appreciate your contribution. Truth is, I don't have any financial issues whatsoever, I was very comfortable and still comfortable before leaving Nigeria. I am not working as a student here and don't have such plan even with my student work permit for now.
As a matter of fact, I can comfortably pay for a 2 year program here without working, so money is not the issue, it's the stress of studying that is beginning to affect my health..

Please don't try to discourage others as some people are schooling and working here, it may not be easy for them, but it's not worth generalizing it to discourage people that can afford to do so.
I only need advise on another pathway to PR on a study permit without misrepresentation.

20 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by itwillendinprai: 9:23pm On Jul 18, 2021
nowhere:

Work and study at full-time is not humane. You see folks split and add more semesters to complete their studies.

Thank you for your contribution, am actually not working and don't intend to, at least till my program is over as I cannot handle the two at same time. Only studies alone is giving me this headache not to talk of adding work to it.
Am looking at other options to PR aside studies, otherwise am considering going back to Nigeria.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by itwillendinprai: 9:28pm On Jul 18, 2021
Queenmama03:

Thank you so much for the encouragement, I really appreciate kiss . I keep reminding myself of this everyday, but am getting overwhelmed day by day and it's beginning to affect my health. God help me oo.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CountVersailles(f): 9:28pm On Jul 18, 2021
itwillendinprai:

Many graduates coming from Nigeria usually underestimate the amount of work it takes to do graduate school in developed countries like Canada and the US. Contrary to what most people think, graduate school in these countries is actually very difficult. Usually there is a lot of assignments and homeworks, and this is not something the Nigerian student is used to. Besides, most of the concepts are not discussed at a high-level, but usually a more detailed often difficult low-level filled with maths (for STEM) or lots of readings (for Management). This can be a very big problem for the Nigerian student who isn't used to this method of study. But the good news is that if you do not give up, you will succeed. It may appear difficult, but if you put in the required effort, ask for help from your professors or from fellow students, you will eventually understand. My advice to you is to dig deep within you and find that extra effort to succeed. Don't give up. Having a kid is not an excuse. There have been many people like you who made it eventually through graduate school. You just need to tell yourself that you can do it.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:28pm On Jul 18, 2021
itwillendinprai:

Thank you for your contribution, am actually not working and don't intend to, at least till my program is over as I cannot handle the two at same time. Only studies alone is giving me this headache not to talk of adding work to it.
Am looking at other options to PR aside studies, otherwise am considering going back to Nigeria.
Okay. Weigh things, future and Naija. No matter what you do, don't allow already-spent cash to waste.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:37pm On Jul 18, 2021
itwillendinprai:

none to the best of my knowledge. Find an employer to sponsor your on work permit, learn French to increase crs score for express entry etc

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by itwillendinprai: 9:39pm On Jul 18, 2021
CountVersailles:

Many graduates coming from Nigeria usually underestimate the amount of work it takes to do graduate school in developed countries like Canada and the US. Contrary to what most people think, graduate school in these countries is actually very difficult. Usually there is a lot of assignments and homeworks, and this is not something the Nigerian student is used to. Besides, most of the concepts are not discussed at a high-level, but usually a more detailed often difficult low-level filled with maths (for STEM) or lots of readings (for Management). This can be a very big problem for the Nigerian student who isn't used to this method of study. But the good news is that if you do not give up, you will succeed. It may appear difficult, but if you put in the required effort, ask for help from your professors or from fellow students, you will eventually understand. My advice to you is to dig deep within you and find that extra effort to succeed. Don't give up. Having a kid is not an excuse. There have been many people like you who made it eventually through graduate school. You just need to tell yourself that you can do it.

Apt!!! Thank you and God bless you. This is my major challenge as I wasnt prepared for the back to back case studies and assignments after missing several weeks of lecture. The stress is killing, I've been depressed severally but have managed to keep pushing. Thank you again.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (480) (481) (482) (483) (484) (485) (486) ... (708) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.