Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,298 members, 7,808,012 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:21 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (52) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2181929 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by damilola1978: 7:23am On Feb 10, 2019
Philippians4v9:
Hello Everyone,

Welcome to all newly landed immigrant, you can learn about the Canada Child Benefit from this video.
Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-ZxQzj4MM0
we are still waiting for your filing taxes part 2 vid

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 7:49am On Feb 10, 2019
czaratwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMtBEgk9ls
many would get their citizenship revoked. But i wonder what bargaining chip he used, in getting out that fast

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by tempest01(m): 8:23am On Feb 10, 2019
ceyrahtlk:

Just in case you don't find anyone to help you soon, someone in Nigeria should post it to you via registered mail. It is trackable online and I believe within 2 weeks you should get it

Yeah...but It's expensive. Twenty something thousand.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DrMrsCK: 8:49am On Feb 10, 2019
tempest01:

You can use Nipost. N1200. It will arrive within 2 weeks. Make sure you register it so you can track it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceyrahtlk(f): 10:30am On Feb 10, 2019
tempest01:

No, i don't mean courier. Registered mail is the normal NIPOST but with tracking number. I doubt if it should be more than 1500. Please confirm again.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceyrahtlk(f): 10:31am On Feb 10, 2019
DrMrsCK:

You can use Nipost. N1200. It will arrive within 2 weeks. Make sure you register it so you can track it.

Same thing I told him but seems he his confusing registered mail with courier
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:05am On Feb 10, 2019
alt3r3g0:
For newly landed peeps to Calgary, i have a transit pass for the month of feb to give out. Pm me if you can make it to downtown during the week to pick up.
I just sent you a pm , please let me know when I can pick it up, I really would love to pick it up today please.
I just landed and I only can move around with my hosts bus pass to come retrieve that today.

Please respond urgently. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Gregeal: 11:43am On Feb 10, 2019
Good day all, if u know anybody that is interested in renting a one-bedroom basement in Cambridge, Ontario, kindly PM me. Available on 1st March

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by vascey(m): 11:56am On Feb 10, 2019
czaratwork:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERMtBEgk9ls

Morale of the story- if per chance crime is your calling and no sort of discouragement will change your mind, at least wait till you get your citizenship properly.

The main perpetrator of the crime got a meagre 7 years in a fine jail and got released to his mansion and 4wd after 2 years of good behavior. He even has the effrontery to call the police for cbc. shocked

The unfortunate ones claiming victim would most likely have their permanent residency status revoked with strong suspension. Others will have their fraudulent citizenship revoked. Talk about equality!

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by alt3r3g0: 2:10pm On Feb 10, 2019
Guitarlife:

I just sent you a pm , please let me know when I can pick it up, I really would love to pick it up today please.
I just landed and I only can move around with my hosts bus pass to come retrieve that today.

Please respond urgently. Thanks.

I have received only one PM and replied but yet to get a feedback from the person. If that's you, please reply via PM. If not, send another as I am yet to get it.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 2:18pm On Feb 10, 2019
Amakaota:
I live in Prince George. It's a beautiful city. You won't regret it here. I'm a nurse too.

Thanks for your response Amaka. I sent you a private message...would like to ask one or few questions from you if you don’t mind. Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Inception12: 3:05pm On Feb 10, 2019
This happened to me as well. The lady at the Mississauga test center didn't even bother checking my licence online. She just looked at the card and said it cant be verified. When i asked why, she just said am clogging the line. I went to the etobicoke center and got it confirmed in a few minutes. I guess it matters which agent you land on that particular day. It might just be skin color bias unfortunately
MissMoroti:

I think its only fair for me to update after i got a solution
So the winches in etobicoke drivetest center rejected my license claiming its fake and cant be verified. She didnt even collect the authentication letter or anything. She just looked at the license and said NO. I tried to ask why and explain what “graduated u25” meant. She blatantly told me I’m holding the line and i should go and report to MTO in ottawa if I’m not satisfied with what she told me.
I left and went to northyork drivetest center, that one didnt even bother to check my license because the etobicoke winch has already written something on my file online.

So i called MTO customer care and complained, the customer service agent was so upset with the way i was treated and told me that the instruction MTO gave them is that “once there is an authentication letter and they can see my license on “https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/dlApplication/trackStatus” then she had no reason to decline. Na so i go check my license on the site o. My face was there gidigba to prove it was authentic. So the customer care lady gave me an address in downtown toronto; I carried myself and went to downtown. I explained my situation to the agent at ther ServiceOntario in downtown toronto.
Na so she approve me o, I provided all the licenses I have been using since 2008 including all the temporary. The lady was just laughing that it’s not that deep. She checked online and verified o! 11years added and i booked my road test same day.

Inshort, if you bring naija license come and you are coming to ontario. Just respect urself and go to “downtown toronto” that’s where we have sane people!!

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:16pm On Feb 10, 2019
alt3r3g0:

I have received only one PM and replied but yet to get a feedback from the person. If that's you, please reply via PM. If not, send another as I am yet to get it.
I didnt get your pm please can you reach me here instead ayonaira@yahoo.com ?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 6:03pm On Feb 10, 2019
https://events.genndi.com/replay/818182175026321159/ddbee6a893/4/108763337

This is a webinar on good resume writing.

Kindly follow this lady (Linda Raynier) on youtube regardless of which stage you are in your career. Whether you are an apllicant or already working. she has a video on dealing with office politics. She is one of us (based in Toronto) so you can relate to what she says.

44 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kiari: 8:28pm On Feb 10, 2019
Babygirll, give us landing gist naaaaa angry sad sad sad

MissMoroti:

I think its only fair for me to update after i got a solution
So the winches in etobicoke drivetest center rejected my license claiming its fake and cant be verified. She didnt even collect the authentication letter or anything. She just looked at the license and said NO. I tried to ask why and explain what “graduated u25” meant. She blatantly told me I’m holding the line and i should go and report to MTO in ottawa if I’m not satisfied with what she told me.
I left and went to northyork drivetest center, that one didnt even bother to check my license because the etobicoke winch has already written something on my file online.

So i called MTO customer care and complained, the customer service agent was so upset with the way i was treated and told me that the instruction MTO gave them is that “once there is an authentication letter and they can see my license on “https://www.nigeriadriverslicence.org/dlApplication/trackStatus” then she had no reason to decline. Na so i go check my license on the site o. My face was there gidigba to prove it was authentic. So the customer care lady gave me an address in downtown toronto; I carried myself and went to downtown. I explained my situation to the agent at ther ServiceOntario in downtown toronto.
Na so she approve me o, I provided all the licenses I have been using since 2008 including all the temporary. The lady was just laughing that it’s not that deep. She checked online and verified o! 11years added and i booked my road test same day.

Inshort, if you bring naija license come and you are coming to ontario. Just respect urself and go to “downtown toronto” that’s where we have sane people!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by junypapa: 9:57pm On Feb 10, 2019
I have question about misrepresentation that i need to ask.

I applied for a US visa a while back and i got the visa with the help of an agent, he filled my form with a bogus present place of work and i agreed to it.

I got ita in the last draw but i'm scared to submit my application because i didn't intend to use the bogus place of work.

My question is, has anyone got PPR while submitting two different information on both applications?

I'm confuse and don't know what to do.

please house, advise.

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by orobs93(m): 11:39pm On Feb 10, 2019
[

Please can I send you a pmquote author=Oyeleye2011 post=75477033]I am one of silent readers on nairaland since this great platform helped me achieved my dream of coming to canada few years ago. I think it is high time for me to give back to this wonderful platform. I quite agree that few nigerians move to BC because everyone believe that BC is expensive to live in but you start your life in all these cities you mentioned which are affordable like the rest of the cities in canada. Another reason is that nigerians are few in BC so, some of us relate to white people a lot because you don't see many nigerians to relate with grin. So, people goes to Calgary, toronto,

Please

manitoba etc just to be in the midst of nigerians. And so other reasons personally known to nigerians.

So, to your question sir, I will analyse each cities one after the other because i have been to most of the cities either for work or vacation.

Kelowna
This is one of the fastest growing cities in Canada now. I lived in this city for 3 years because i did my schooling there and also worked there before moving to Kamloops for full time position. Though, i still go there on my days off because of my great network there. It is a relatively big city that has all the social amenities present in bigger cities. It is very affordable to live here if you have a good paying good. Few nigerian doctors are here with a big mansion living in grin. Is just that real estate is becoming pricey now because, it is like a retirement city (Lots of old people with big money), people from nearby bigger cities (vancouver, calgary, edmonton) comes there to purchase house after getting tired of bigger cities rat race grin. Kelowna has one of the best weather in canada. lots of sunshine. It is a tourism city as well, lots of beautiful place to see. Nice beaches, hiking trails, mountains surrounding. i can keep going all day long about kelowna because i love this city. Not too small, not too big. traffic is getting worst now because people are discovering this paradise everyday grin. Lots of construction companies in kelowna which gives you hope of getting a job in your profession sooner or later. I don't know anything about civil engineering job in kelowna or any cities in BC because am in Health care profession but i believe you will probably need so sort of licensing body but lots of construction companies because the city is still developing into a bigger city. And also less competition for jobs compared to bigger cities. Since your wife is a nurse, am very sure he can get health care assistant job with less struggle because BC government is having shortage of these people now then she can focus on getting her nursing licence sooner or later

Vernon
This city is relatively small compared to kelowna. It takes make less than 45minutes to drive between kelowna and vernon. Less opportunities here for you because there is less companies in vernon but bigger opportunities with less jobs competition for your wife because of her profession. I go there if i want to have a feel of country(town) life and want to get away from busy kelowna life. Please don't mind me, am not a city boy, am from a village in nigeria grin. But very affordable and cheap to live there. Weather is very nice as well because we are all in Okanagan area. Kelowna is central okanagan and vernon is north Okanagan. Lots of sunshine. Shorter winter and longer summer like kelowna.

Abbottsford & Nanaimo
These are lower mainland cities that surround almighty Vancouver city. They are bigger cities compared to kelowna but less bigger than Vancouver. People live in these cities and work in vancouver in order to avoid expensive renting or buying houses. Lots of opportunities in a bigger cities as we all know but highly job competition. Your wife might find it more stressful to get full time health care job in these cities because of competition but lots of casual jobs. In term of weather, lots of rain. Please always go out with your umbrella. The weather is nice, not too cold like Vancouver. Always mild winter and lots of rain. They are nice cities but too big for me grin Few nigerians are here because it is bigger cities

Prince Rupert & Prince George
These are Northern BC cities. The more North you go, the less white people you see and more immigrant you see. These cities can be extremely cold because they are in north BC. These cities are relatively big as well but not as bigger as Kelowna. There is a large nigerian community in Prince george, so will not be home sick. Most of them are in health care profession(Doctors, Physiotherapist, Nurse etc) and most of them are in university over there. More opportunities for your wife as health care professional because of less job competition and may be less opportunities for civil engineering jobs though these cities is also consider big for me. Am sure, there will be opportunities as well because they are not smaller cities. they are also good cities but i don't like cold. grin

Victoria
The capital city of BC. Victoria is one of the great city in BC. The first time i was there, i fell in love with the city life for the first time in my life. I wanted to stay but i was offered casual position and i want full time so i left grin. It is a bigger city but nicely planned city. Beautiful beaches (Ocean not Lake like kelowna). Little bit of rain as well. It is very expensive to live in victoria as well but if you have a good paying job, you will be fine. Victoria city is on Island so you need to take ferries or fly out anytime you want to leave island which can expensive compared to road driving. To take your car on ferry is also expensive but i usually go out of island early in the morning to take the first ferries which are normally cheap while i was there. Sure, many opportunities in capital city, lots of companies, government jobs etc. For madam, lots of opportunities as well but she will probably start from casual position then build her seniority hours to get full time position.

Terrace
Am sorry, i don't know anything about this city. I guess that city will be my new adventure in spring or summer time grin

I hope i am able to give you few info about all these cities. Generally, they are all great cities to live. And note, BC
Bring Cash, Everyone know that but all these cities are affordable. Trust me. Don't be afraid. God bless you sir.

[/quote]

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:46am On Feb 11, 2019
alt3r3g0:
For newly landed peeps to Calgary, i have a transit pass for the month of feb to give out. Pm me if you can make it to downtown during the week to pick up.
I have met the poster and picked up the bus pass, am really grateful, many thanks.

26 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 1:03am On Feb 11, 2019
Phewwwwwwwwwwww,finally!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I've been going through this wonderful sister thread since the day I got my PPR...I have told myself I would only read this thread after my PPR (turns out to be a great mistake) because I had to navigate through over 50 pages.

I am seriously torn between Mississauga,Ontario and Calgary,Alberta...I am a lawyer and I would love to continue my career in this field(although I'm not a litigation lawyer in Nigeria...i prefer corporate practice),my wife is an IT guru,so we have heard Ontario will best suit her talents..

So we will definitely welcome seniors/elders input to form our final decision on where to reside when we finally land in Canada sometimes in April.

Thank you very much for the wonderful work y'all are doing!!!

13 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 1:28am On Feb 11, 2019
Barryston:
I've been going through this wonderful sister thread since the day I got my PPR...I have told myself I would only read this thread after my PPR (turns out to be a great mistake) because I had to navigate through over 50 pages.

I am seriously torn between Mississauga,Ontario and Calgary,Alberta...I am a lawyer and I would love to continue my career in this field(although I'm not a litigation lawyer in Nigeria...i prefer corporate practice),my wife is an IT guru,so we have heard Ontario will best suit her talents..

So we will definitely welcome seniors/elders input to form our final decision on where to reside when we finally land in Canada sometimes in April.

Easiest route that I have seen for a foreign trained lawyer to quickly get into corporate practice is via the compliance route. Best if you are able to obtain ACAMS certification.

9 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by oluphilip2008(f): 2:03am On Feb 11, 2019
LANDING GIST!!!! Long Post Alert!!!!

Good day dear Canny family. Here's my landing gist.

My application was submitted on the 3rd of June, 2018. I got to know that my application was approved on the 26th of October, but no ppr mail yet, but then we started preparing for our journey in earnest(we knew after approval, ppr will definitely arrive).

But we waited the whole of November, ppr mail never came, until I eventually wrote a mail to Kyiv VO on the 5thh of December, a day after crossing the 6months processing timeline. PPR mail was released 2days after writing Kyiv VO(7th December). We bought our tickets almost immediately with Ethiopian airlines against 28th January, 2019. We got our approved and stamped passports, as well as our COPR back from Accra on the 6th of January (almost one month after passports submission).

We needed to do some renovations on the house before deciding on what what to do with it. This renovation works set our preparations back with about one week, as the entire house was upside down and we couldn't really do much. Finally we were left with only one week to our travel date, time seemed to be flying so fast that 24hours seemed not to be enough in a day.

We bought a hand digital scale to weigh our bags to ensure they're all within the normal limits. I had put a 4litres palm oil in the freezer about a week earlier (I should have done like 6 smaller bottles of 75cl instead). The palm oil didn't eventually make it as our luggages were already overweight at the dying minute. There was no way to reduce the palm oil and take smaller quantity as it was frozen. Hubby didn't even give me the chance to reason what else we can remove before dropping my palm oil. Very painful, but I couldn't do anything about it.

Our Ethiopian flight was for 1:25pm. Family and friends came to pick us up at around 9am. My brother in law brought a truck and my husband's colleague also came with one of their office trucks to help with our luggages. In total, we had 14 pieces of 23kg bags and 7pcs of 7kg bags, 2 computer bags and one hand bag (reminds me of the popular saying 'eleru town council', that's only for those who understand grin). We're a family of 7. I decided to use all my luggage allowance instead of spending so much money to cargo. We limited our clothings to about 6bags only(mostly native attires). Other personal effects like documents, pictures etc were put in the 7kg bags. The rest of the bags contained foodstuffs (8pcs of 23kgs).

We decided to have some photo sessions before leaving our home, which took another 30mins or more. We finally left the house around 9:40am. We arrived at the Nnamdi Azikiwe int'l airport at about 10:25 am. We got 5trolley guys to help with our luggage. When one of the trolley guys found out we were using Ethiopian airlines, he decided to go for another client. This is because Ethiopian air has moved to the newly constructed terminal, which is a bit far and they had to push the trolleys a long distance. Long story short, we got another guy to push the rest.

We proceeded smoothly for check in. The custom guys separated some of our bags for physical checks after passing them through the scanner. But fortunately for us, a friend of ours who works at the airport stepped in and talked to the guy to allow us go as we were already running late for our flight.

We proceeded to Ethiopian check in counter, got the boarding passes and went to check in our luggages. Even after all the weighing and reweighing we did back home, some of the bags were still over the minimum weight, some were between 23.5 to 23.8, but the guy decided to overlook them since none was up to 24kg. We begged him to check in 5 of the 7hand luggages for us, but he didn't oblige. Saying that Ethiopian airlines does not allow that, and that if we wanted them checked in at all cost, we would have to pay.

Only the 6 bags containing clothes were in proper traveling boxes, we used cargo sacks and Ghana must go bags for the rest of the loads to reduce weight and cost of bags. So after weighing all the bags, he tagged the boxes and asked to take the rest for wrapping, there was only one guy doing shrink wrapping at the new terminal, he had some other people waiting too, so it took a while before it got to our turn. While waiting to wrap, we had to start taking out some things that won't be allowed into the airplane from hand lugages and replace them with other things from the big bags. We finished with the shrink wrapping (@1k per bag) went back to tag them, we found we had overshot the weight of the big bags again, some of them now weighing 24+kg. The guy became angry that we had added other items after he had weighed all the bags, my husband calmly explained to him that we only tried to reshuffle the bags as we needed to take out all liquid and other items that won't make it into the plane. We told him we had initially thought we could check in those hand luggages. He sha grudgingly checked-in all the bags like that. Hubby gave him a little tip thereafter.

At this time, my 2yr old was already crying and throwing tantrums every where. She was hungry as she refused to eat her breakfast before we left the house. I quickly gave her from the food we brought from home before proceeding to the boarding area. My husband started filling the immigration cards. He had only filled 2 of the yellow cards when boarding announcement was made. I had to trash the rest of my baby's food and quickly joined in filling the forms. When the hand luggages were scanned , they discovered some items that we didn't remember to remove, like body cream, toothpaste, shoe polish, lubricant (shame catch me for this one no be small *covers face*).

We finally boarded and we all gave a huge sigh of relief. Plane took off as scheduled. There was in-flight entertainment, but I was too tired to watch anything. Hubby, my 2yr old daughter and I all slept through out the Abuja- Addis leg. My older children engaged themselves with games and movies all through. I've never been a fan of food while flying, cos I usually feel sick from cabin pressure (I had even vomitted on one of my previous trips undecided). To minimize the nausea and motion sickness, I try not to eat while flying. So the first leg I didn't bother to collect food as the sleep was even more important to me.

Our lay over at Addis was for about 2:30 mins. By then I was already super hungry, I had to go to duty free area to buy snacks and drinks, which I couldn't even bring to the boarding area. So I sat there, ate and drank, before going back to the boarding area. The time ran so fast. We boarded for the next flight to Dublin. Had a technical stop for 45mins. I didn't eat on this flight as well, but asked for water. By the time we took off for the Toronto leg, I was already terribly hungry, so I had to eat something. I asked for chicken, ate only the chicken and left the pasta. At least I had something to hold my Tommy grin.
The kids slept for most part of the addis-dublin leg, and slept all through the Dublin-Toronto leg.

We landed Toronto Pearson international at 7:15 am, Tuesday, 29th January, but passengers could not disembark from the plane for almost an hour after landing, the pilot announced parking space was not ready yet. Finally, we arrived at immigration. All documents were checked, questions about criminality and all were asked. All the formalities done and our one way immigrant visa was cancelled, we got the magical 'welcome to Canada'�. I gave them the address of our rented apartment which was not going to be ready for move- in until 7th February.

We proceeded to service Canada and did our SIN registration. We got all the welcome to Canada packages. Every of the officers seemed overly nice, as they all chatted and laughed with us at every point. We felt so welcomed and special.

We went to baggage claim. Got all our bags. We were too tired to start pushing trolley by ourselves. So we got one of the big Trolley guys to carry all the big bags, while we carried the small bags by ourselves. He charged us 32 dollars, at that time we were left with no choice as we were already running late for our connecting flight to Edmonton. When I saw that the distance from the carousel to the baggage check in area was so short, e be like say make I slap the guy grin. After checking our bags it was just about 5mins to boarding. But on getting to the boarding area, it was announced that the flight had been delayed due to bad weather. The flight was originally for 12:46 pm, but we ended up boarding at around 2:50pm. After we finished boarding, plane did not still take off. We were waiting on board for another 40minutes. By this time, my kids were all tired and hungry. I knew food was for sale on Air Canada local flight. So I called them that I wanted to buy food for my kids, but that I had only cash, they said I could only use credit card to pay. Luckily for me, the kids understood our predicament. It turned out that the guy sitting right behind me overheard our conversation with the flight attendant. When it was time to start serving food and drinks, the attendant came to ask what the kids would love to eat. I reminded her of our previous conversation about cash payment and all that, that was when she told us that the gentleman behind us said we should order anything the kids wanted. By this time, they were all fast asleep. So I told her to give them anything that kids usually love. She packed food for all the kids and gave to me, then the man himself still went ahead and ordered some other goodies for them, of course, they couldn't eat any of them. So we did naija style (take away cheesy). We couldn't thank him enough.

We arrived Edmonton airport at around 7 something. We were welcomed by the cold and the snow sight was beautiful to behold. Two of our friends were waiting at the airport to receive us, let me also say that, I didn't know them from anywhere, I posted on the Edmonton platform that I was going to land in Edmonton and I don't have anybody on ground, this special lady (I call her my angel) contacted me, started scouting for houses for me, she would book appointment for apartment viewing. She has just been wonderful.
Their vans could not take everybody and all the bags, so we had to hire Uber too. We were taken to our cozy airbnb apartment which was to be our home for the next 9days. Our friends had prepared jollof rice and chicken, and drinks. We did justice to the food and we all rested from the long journey which happened to be the most stressful journey I've had in my entire life.

The following day, I bought a phone and a Canadian line, while hubby bought only the line. We opened our bank accounts with RBC, we were given temporary cards with which we can do Atm withdrawals and that our credit cards will arrive in about 10days. They gave us credit limit of 2k each.

We've done the Alberta health registration, visited some immigration agencies. Bredin center has been of great assistance, we were booked at Edmonton Mennonite center for new comers against this coming Tuesday.

We didn't contact the education board for the kids registration until we moved to our rented apartment on Thursday last week. We called the Catholic education board on Friday and the children were booked for assessment against this coming Thursday.

We have also been booked for some employers connect program this coming week.

So far, everything has been going on greatly. Just that the weather has been extreme. But we've shopped for the right winter gears, so we're good.

We're also preparing for the driver's licence knowledge test and all. The vehicle we got couldn't be registered yet as insurance companies are giving us crazy quotes, because we've got a Nigerian license. So, the idea of insurance has been shelved for now till we are able to get the Alberta license.

Thanks to this great family for all the great information being shared on this platform. God bless you all kiss

Sorry to bore you with the long story�

178 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by amdman: 2:18am On Feb 11, 2019
oluphilip2008:

Welcome to Canada!

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 6:22am On Feb 11, 2019
Barryston:

I think you should read up on the NCA procedure for lawyers in Canada. It might be worth starting this week ahead of your landing in Canada.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 7:32am On Feb 11, 2019
junypapa:
I have question about misrepresentation that i need to ask.

I applied for a US visa a while back and i got the visa with the help of an agent, he filled my form with a bogus present place of work and i agreed to it.

I got ita in the last draw but i'm scared to submit my application because i didn't intend to use the bogus place of work.

My question is, has anyone got PPR while submitting two different information on both applications?

I'm confuse and don't know what to do.

please house, advise.

Thanks

Go ask the agent who helped u with your 419 application. He's suddenly not good enough to advise you? You already know the answer to your question deep down.

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jumdah20: 7:58am On Feb 11, 2019
[quote author=oluphilip2008 post=75611589]LANDING GIST!!!! Long Post Alert!!!!

May you find great fulfilment in Canada. Thank you for sharing your wonderful story. Boring ke? At all, I loved every line grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 9:38am On Feb 11, 2019
Congrats @oluphilip2008 on your landing.

I'm interested in the shrink-wrapping. Pls confirm if it is standard procedure that all "ghana must go" bags be shrink-wrapped at the airport i.e. you cannot complete your check-in without the shrink-wrapping.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cochtrane(m): 9:44am On Feb 11, 2019
oluphilip2008:

Interesting story! smiley
Best wishes in Canada.

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Influential101: 9:45am On Feb 11, 2019
Nice read @oluphilip2008 smiley smiley

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sinie: 9:52am On Feb 11, 2019
Good morning all

Pls is there anyone here who prepared for PEBC EE from Nigeria? I need tips on good online courses and materials.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jjohndoe83: 10:19am On Feb 11, 2019
maternal:

Go ask the agent who helped u with your 419 application. He's suddenly not good enough to advise you? You already know the answer to your question deep down.
Why so mean?

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by sinie: 10:54am On Feb 11, 2019
maternal:

SAINT OBI!!

6 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (49) (50) (51) (52) (53) (54) (55) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.