Stats: 3,143,321 members, 7,780,798 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 10:25 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (62) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2158185 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Onyeenyeh: 6:53pm On Feb 16, 2019
Hi, I can help. Sent you a message.
Newmum0615:
I need help bringing my recently re-issued driver's license over from Nigeria please. If there is anyone coming in soon from Lagos to Ontario and is willing to help, please PM me. I am humble please. Thank you.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Francent: 7:07pm On Feb 16, 2019
For any lawyer or anyone that has gone through divorce route , Pls i need an answer to this question

is it mandatory that a couple must officially separate before divorce in Nigeria? Is there any paper work to show for it , or is it possible to file for divorce right away once a fellow wants out of a marriage.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by femora007(m): 7:42pm On Feb 16, 2019
Sometimes while reading through this thread I feel as if I'm out of this country already cool

34 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by enquirer123: 7:57pm On Feb 16, 2019
Philippians4v9:
Yes you will get a tax refund, most new immigrants who started working in the middle of the year most times get all their taxes back

thanks very much

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jhoci: 8:28pm On Feb 16, 2019
Like Smileymum said, contact the airline and see if you can modify your ticket (you'll have to pay for this). I believe you should be able to. Else, you might have to buy another ticket for Toronto-Calgary taking into consideration your arrival time in Toronto. Also bear in mind that you'll have to pay for your checked in luggage if you go with this option.

Barryston:
I only booked to Toronto shocked sadwhat can I do now?

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by nkay1888(f): 9:12pm On Feb 16, 2019
hello please I’m also microbiologist. Have a masters degree and 2 years experience in the food industry. Please what type of bridging programs did u find out. Just got my PPR, will be moving in May.

Hi @salford1, I've not had much experience in the laboratory as a microbiologist apart from the experience I got during my 6 months SIWES training out of school when I was in 300L. The work experiences I've had over the years are;
1. Program Assistant in an NGO (maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS related)and;
2. Currently a data analyst at a maternal and child health hospital. That being said, my plan is to go back in line with my course of study my focus being on food safety/quality assurance and i've actully thought going back to school to take some courses will do the trick.

The reason why I brought up the question was because I've always been told that Microbiology isn't a professional course even when my friends and I discuss about the inability to secure a job at a hospital as a microbiologist as a medical laboratory scientists is given preference over us and wanted to know if same applies over there.

I wouldn't also mind taking some courses to fit back into the NGO world ( WHO,UNDP and the likes) as it was such a breeze working with those innocent mothers and children. And please don't judge me because I asked about fitting in as a microbiologist and now diverted to working in an NGO grin I'm just keeping my options open here.

And thanks to @vole and @winterpeg for chipping in[/quote]

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Theokleia: 10:21pm On Feb 16, 2019
Pls dear people of God, I nee your help oh.
I think I started looking for job too early.
I applied via Zip Recruiter rather casually oh.
This evening I got mail for interview.
It's a customer service representative - consultant.
Actually the salary was what attracted me it's $60-80k annually.
Pls can this job role be done virtually?
I actually just submitted my passport [color=#770077][/color]

4 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Lastruct: 10:44pm On Feb 16, 2019
Newmum0615:
MY LANDING STORY…a long one.

Take the first step in faith. You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step” ---Martin Luther King Jr.

…and my journey to the Maple leaf country began.

Chaii...Newmum, You are always the best, always surpassed my expectations. My wife is not on this platform but I ensured I sent your landing gist to her WhatsApp to read and learn one or few things there. Thank you for this one again. I pray for a safe and sound delivery for you., May God almighty bless your family real good. Enjoy your stay as we also join you in June. Cheers

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Erec(m): 11:01pm On Feb 16, 2019
nkay1888:
hello please I’m also microbiologist. Have a masters degree and 2 years experience in the food industry. Please what type of bridging programs did u find out. Just got my PPR, will be moving in May.

Hi @salford1, I've not had much experience in the laboratory as a microbiologist apart from the experience I got during my 6 months SIWES training out of school when I was in 300L. The work experiences I've had over the years are;
1. Program Assistant in an NGO (maternal and child health, HIV/AIDS related)and;
2. Currently a data analyst at a maternal and child health hospital. That being said, my plan is to go back in line with my course of study my focus being on food safety/quality assurance and i've actully thought going back to school to take some courses will do the trick.

The reason why I brought up the question was because I've always been told that Microbiology isn't a professional course even when my friends and I discuss about the inability to secure a job at a hospital as a microbiologist as a medical laboratory scientists is given preference over us and wanted to know if same applies over there.

I wouldn't also mind taking some courses to fit back into the NGO world ( WHO,UNDP and the likes) as it was such a breeze working with those innocent mothers and children. And please don't judge me because I asked about fitting in as a microbiologist and now diverted to working in an NGO grin I'm just keeping my options open here.

And thanks to @vole and @winterpeg for chipping in

Hi, I pray for you God to easily link you with your helper.

I studied statistics from the University and I have been longing to work as a data analyst. please link me to your Organisation so I can continue when the position becomes vacant. 0803 954 4572 thank you

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 12:33am On Feb 17, 2019
So somewhere in Canada. This is how we cool our pot of stew!... make all of una do enter #OurCanada

48 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 1:55am On Feb 17, 2019
Thank you.
As a matter of fact, I became his first ever client 3days ago. My mum's birthday was coming up and we decided to get her a Samsung note8. It wasn't available in Akure so I hit him up and told my brothers to move funds to his position. Slot in Lagos were also out of stock so we settled for an s9. He made all the calls to slot and personally picked the phone from their location.He got it on first bus to Akure at the Ojota motor park the following day and phone was received in pristine condition. smiley
simiolu1:

Your friend should read up on DoorDash... That's all the validation he needs.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 2:42am On Feb 17, 2019
Be careful!
Is the company name Gloxba?
The offer is too good to be true you know? What the mostly do is sign you up and after a couple of day not doing anything, send you money and tell you to withdraw and send a portion back to them. When the fraud casts, the bank will debit you for the full amount and that might be the beginning of wrecking your credit in Canada.

I got a similar offer but the probably saw me as too difficult so they stopped replying. I asked for JD and SLAs but they obviously didn't have any.
Theokleia:

8 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 3:24am On Feb 17, 2019
Congratulations chief!
Which department you dey for HQ and wetin be your banking experience for naija?
amdman:
TESTIMONY TIME

So I have been 6weeks in Canada and I can say that God has been so faithful, so much so that my greatest challenge many a times is making the best choice amongst many good options. Here are a few highlights:

Starting a Business
Participating in Acces' Entrepreneurship Connections has been very helpful in getting to understand how things work here. My business' niche is highly regulated, so there is a lot of work to be done. Lots of useful contacts made. Looking forward to Business Day 1.

Finding Work
First week of February, I decided to start job-hunting so that bills will be getting paid. Before the week was out, I got and resumed at this interesting job at an Airline Servicing Company. Also got an RBC invite for an info session and interview. Aced it and got an offer to resume at RBC this February as a fulltime staff. They will be bearing the cost of obtaining some certification that I require. Today, I got another offer from TD Bank...but RBC's offer appears better, and I love the atmosphere at RBC's head office where I will be working.

Finding Accommodation
This has remarkably been easy. When I needed to move from Airbnb to a more permanent accommodation, I found a lovely place in Toronto where the Landlady didn't care about my newness to Canada. No job reference, credit check or guarantor required and rent is paid month to month (not first and last as is usually required). Now because of my new job at RBC, I need to move to Mississauga. Guess what? A Canadian friend connected me to a couple in Brampton that have a furnished 1-bedroom basement apartment for rent and we agreed on a month to month rent of $625 CAD! For a 1-bed apartment within GTA! Amazing!

There are so many other things to be thankful for in this new place called HOME, and it can only get better.

TIP: Doing as much research as possible before landing is important to hit the ground running.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by cashhip: 4:09am On Feb 17, 2019
Yes you can, as far as you are a registered student. You dont need to submit anything.
Nuel182:
Can someone on a study Visa, use their new Nigerian drivers license in Regina almost immediately
And what would they be required to submit for verification..
Thanks!!!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MummyJaygirls: 5:28am On Feb 17, 2019
Theokleia:

One chance, shine ya eyes
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by patwears(m): 6:03am On Feb 17, 2019
Anyone in ottawa or plans to come who need information help can ask will be glad to help.

18 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by pauloverdi: 9:24am On Feb 17, 2019
My people my people grin

Happy new year. I trust the lord has been blessing your hustle. i can see that this our ministry is expanding every month. Eku cold to the people in canada already... eku election to those in Nigeria right now... things can only get better

please i would like to find out more about grand prairie in alberta from our brethren in and around the area.. i have a job offer there but this BC island life don dey make man too comfortable and unwilling to resettle.. i plan to be in GP soon to scope out the place sha. please all advice about how to move around affordably without a personal car, the areas where i should rent if im going to relocte my family there, schools, etc.. all input is welcome abeg... who dey ask question no dey miss road wink

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nogen: 10:13am On Feb 17, 2019
Beautiful landing stories @ newmum0615 , amnman and our engr. Congrats on your wife's new job,engr. Amnman, congrats too.

May Canada continue to favour you all .

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 10:52am On Feb 17, 2019
patwears:
Anyone in ottawa or plans to come who need information help can ask will be glad to help.

Hello bro... Can I send you a PM...??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Francent: 11:02am On Feb 17, 2019
Francent:
For any lawyer or anyone that has gone through divorce route , Pls i need an answer to this question

is it mandatory that a couple must officially separate before divorce in Nigeria? Is there any paper work to show for it , or is it possible to file for divorce right away once a fellow wants out of a marriage.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 11:35am On Feb 17, 2019
Looll this crossed my mind a few days back. Who needs a freezer when there's snow grin

olajide21:
So somewhere in Canada. This is how we cool our pot of stew!... make all of una do enter #OurCanada

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by patwears(m): 2:28pm On Feb 17, 2019
Yes you can
iPopAlomo:

Hello bro... Can I send you a PM...??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:47pm On Feb 17, 2019
Newmum0615:
Part 2:

Catch ya guys later.

I sha find you reach here, also my first post here.

Congratulations on your bon voyage to the Great Land. Your landing gist was terrific and see me smiling like na me dey tell the story.

The land shall prosper you and family. Mighty things God will do for you. Mama Ejima....enjoy your new country....., we are still pushing election helter-skelter here. Lol

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jbelieve: 5:01pm On Feb 17, 2019
Please has anyone recently registered and started a course with ACCES? Kindly indicate.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 5:24pm On Feb 17, 2019
sammyengr:
Where are my people in Winnipeg Manitoba
Please help your brother

Sent you a private message request, would you mind connecting?

Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:37pm On Feb 17, 2019
Thanks,but I'd would take a test there right?
cashhip:
Yes you can, as far as you are a registered student. You dont need to submit anything.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Newmum0615: 7:44pm On Feb 17, 2019
Thanks sis.
Nogen:
Beautiful landing stories @ newmum0615 , amnman and our engr. Congrats on your wife's new job,engr. Amnman, congrats too.

May Canada continue to favour you all .

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olisestephen212(m): 8:24pm On Feb 17, 2019
Francent:

No it is not mandatory, because that is not the only ground for the dissolution of a marriage in Nigeria..

The court hearing a petition for a decree of dissolution of a marriage shall hold the marriage to have broken down irretrievably if, but only if, the petitioner satisfies the court of one or more of the following facts-

(a) that the respondent has wilfully and persistently refused to consummate the marriage;

(b) that since the marriage the Respondent has committed adultery and the petitioner finds it intolerable to live with the respondent;

(c) that since the marriage the respondent has behaved in such a way that the petitioner cannot reasonably be expected to live with the respondent;

(d) that the respondent has deserted the petitioner for a continuous period of at least one year immediately preceding the presentation of the petition;

(e) that the parties to the marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least two years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition and the respondent does not object to a decree being granted;

(f) that the parties to the marriage have lived apart for a continuous period of at least three years immediately preceding the presentation of the petition;

(g) that the other party to the marriage has, for a period of not less than one year failed to comply with a decree or restitution of conjugal rights made under this Act;

(h) that the other party to the marriage has been absent from the petitioner for such time and in such circumstances as to provide reasonable grounds for presuming that he or she is dead.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by vascey(m): 8:27pm On Feb 17, 2019
vascey:

Guys pls help out. 8 months post AOR and 7 months and counting since my file was sent to Accra Visa Office. They haven't even touched it with a long stick (that stick u use in getting a dead rat out from under the bed).

So please sign and free us.

I know this thread is not for annoucing PPR. But considering the fact that I solicited for your assistance, I feel obligated to tell you all that I got my PPR last week. I'm thankful for those that responded to our call. I look forward to joining our greats on this thread in providing valuable insight to those who need it. Currently planning a March landing (not soft landing) and will be reaching out to some of you for assistance. I hope my request will be met with the same fervor and favor this thread is known for.

Merci

81 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Desdes: 8:33pm On Feb 17, 2019
Congratulations!!!
vascey:

I know this thread is not for annoucing PPR. But considering the fact that I solicited for your assistance, I feel obligated to tell you all that I got my PPR last week. I'm thankful for those that responded to our call. I look forward to joining our greats on this thread in providing valuable insight to those who need it. Currently planning a March landing (not soft landing) and will be reaching out to some of you for assistance. I hope my request will be met with the same fervor and favor this thread is known for.

Merci
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 10:08pm On Feb 17, 2019
amdman:
TESTIMONY TIME

So I have been 6weeks in Canada and I can say that God has been so faithful, so much so that my greatest challenge many a times is making the best choice
There are so many other things to be thankful for in this new place called HOME, and it can only get better.

TIP: Doing as much research as possible before landing is important to hit the ground running.

Favor after favor. God is good

Ride on

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 11:51pm On Feb 17, 2019
Congratulations @vascey!!!

vascey:

Merci

(1) (2) (3) ... (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) (64) (65) ... (708) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64