Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,951 members, 7,806,746 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 10:28 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (68) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2181095 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:40pm On Feb 22, 2019
hi guys Iam currently in Calgary, I came in to Canada 2 weeks ago but I have found the IT market here is not so robust for me as an application support analyst.

I have registered for the alberta health card but yet to get it, as a FSW/express entry am considering moving to Ontario, any problem with that ? MY SIN printout carries Alberta aaddress wont this be a problem ?

I am currently staying with a friend here in Calgary so if anyone has moved from Alberta to ontario or from any other province to Ontario please advise me.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ready4glory: 7:43pm On Feb 22, 2019
IykeD:

If you have an idle phone say samsung, put the sim cards inside it and keep the phone on always. As long as you receive sms and calls on them, they will remain active. Also, occasionally load say N100 on them.

Cheers

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ready4glory: 7:44pm On Feb 22, 2019
Mizwisdom:

In addition to what has already been suggested, you can also get someone back home to send you regular VTU credit to keep extending your validity

Thank you ma'am.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmgb1: 8:02pm On Feb 22, 2019
Mizwisdom:

In addition to what has already been suggested, you can also get someone back home to send you regular VTU credit to keep extending your validity

How do u get VTU sent to a sim without network?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gistwivkome(f): 8:31pm On Feb 22, 2019
Mehn.. I can’t believe I’m feeling warm in 2 degrees... it’s just been four weeks. What will happen to me when I go home for Christmas?��

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mapleking: 8:53pm On Feb 22, 2019
gistwivkome:
Mehn.. I can’t believe I’m feeling warm in 2 degrees... it’s just been four weeks. What will happen to me when I go home for Christmas?��

Hmnnnn...this is the feeling I can’t wait for

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mizwisdom(f): 8:55pm On Feb 22, 2019
Kmgb1:

How do u get VTU sent to a sim without network?
I'm assuming he will roam
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mapleking: 8:55pm On Feb 22, 2019
Guitarlife:
hi guys Iam currently in Calgary, I came in to Canada 2 weeks ago but I have found the IT market here is not so robust for me as an application support analyst.

I have registered for the alberta health card but yet to get it, as a FSW/express entry am considering moving to Ontario, any problem with that ? MY SIN printout carries Alberta aaddress wont this be a problem ?

I am currently staying with a friend here in Calgary so if anyone has moved from Alberta to ontario or from any other province to Ontario please advise me.

Bruv, can I PM you. I was thinking of landing in Calgary too but with your post I am considering Ontario as I am in the IT industry. What’s the prospect for software developers in Alberta?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Tiry87: 9:10pm On Feb 22, 2019
[/quote]
aworldcitizen:
Landing Gist.
Family of 5.
Happy new year all. I didn’t want my landing gist to have part 1 & 2; hence I waited for it to be almost complete.

Our PPR took over 10months and we had less than 5 weeks to travel from when COPR was issued. Everything was a mad rush! Bought winter jackets and sweaters from Yaba market.

Flight was scheduled with Ethiopian airline on the 19th December. We were entitled to 10bags and 5 hand luggage but we had only 5bags and 1 hand luggage.

Check in and customs was a breeze as we had only one bag of food. Our bags were not weighed since we were way below our baggage allowance.

Flight from Lagos to Addis Ababa was ok,the kids behaved surprisingly nice, they watched cartoons and didn’t sleep at all. Take off was a bit scary for our youngest child as he hadn’t flown ever. Food was crappy and the kids passed on it but hubby and I ate.

About 2 hours waiting time at Addis Ababa which went by very quickly. We ate part of the snacks I had prepacked. ( Chinchin,biscuit,plantain chips). We were given priority boarding as we had kids.

Airplane used Fromm Addis Ababa to Toronto was same size howbeith newer. I was disappointed as I wanted more leg space. Food was served and the kids managed to eat a bit of the pasta. Everyone slept the whole 8 hours to Dublin.

Less than an hour at Dublin for refuelling, no one was allowed to disembark or use the toilet. We took off again, then the drama began! The kids became restless, my son cried non stop and nothin could pacify him. He was starving and I regretted not packing cereal and sandwich for him. My legs ached, and I was tired of running after the kids inthe plane. At a point I let them be and they disturbed almost everyone. Many were friendly towards them and tried to engage them. Finally the flight attendant brought them gift bags filled with toys, bricks , stickers, colour pencils and colour papers. That kept them busy for the rest of the journey.

Food was served 5 times all through but after the 3rd round, I stopped collecting as the food was bland and I was just so tired.

We landed Toronto Pearson at about 8am, I filled the landing card, proceeded to custom who asked me if I had milk or chicken. We were then directed to immigration. Lao,the queue was so lonnnng. We were separated into PR and student visa. Finally it got to our turn, not much question, asked us if we have ever been convicted and how much we have. Welcomed us to canada and directed us to were we will get our SIN.

We were done at about 12noon, claimed our baggage, dropped our declaration card and exited the building. Jumped into the TAXI straight A’s the cold hit our faces. Got to our Airbnb in less than 20mins and really loved the place.

Everyone was starving and thank God I brought complete ingredients for spaghetti. Made a quick fix using sardine and sat her tomato. Quick shower for everyone and we all slept.

The next 2 days, our body system was stilll messed up. We couldn’t do much and just kept sleeping,waking, eating and sleeping again.

By the 3rd day we were well rested and started exploring our environment, went to open our bank account and got our mobile. Did some shopping also.

We stayed in Toronto till 26th of December before we proceeded to Ottawa our final destination. We got a car and the journey was about 5 hours. We stopped over half way at the at the gas station, grabbed some panini and hot chocolate. We got to our Airbnb which was actually just bordering Gatineau. Really nice apartment. Made Eba and warmed our Egwusi.Everyone ate and slept off.

Apartment hunting started and we were getting frustrated, we had no reference, no jobs, no guarantors. Most agents were on holiday and cancelled many of the viewing bookings. Taxi was really expensive. Many of the apartments had been leased out and only February was vacant. I was almost getting depressed as the weather was way colder than in Toronto and moving around was a challenge. God showed up for us on the 31st and we got a nice 2 bedroom. No application was made, no reference was required, no pay stud. The woman just liked me and decided to favour us. Paid 1st and last month, signed the lease agreement.

School hunt starts on Thursday for myself and the kids as I do not plan working immediately.

God bless us all and may we all have a great year.
[quote author=aworldcitizen post=74367226]Landing Gist.
Family of 5.
Happy new year all. I didn’t want my landing gist to have part 1 & 2; hence I waited for it to be almost complete.

Our PPR took over 10months and we had less than 5 weeks to travel from when COPR was issued. Everything was a mad rush! Bought winter jackets and sweaters from Yaba market.

Flight was scheduled with Ethiopian airline on the 19th December. We were entitled to 10bags and 5 hand luggage but we had only 5bags and 1 hand luggage.

Check in and customs was a breeze as we had only one bag of food. Our bags were not weighed since we were way below our baggage allowance.

Flight from Lagos to Addis Ababa was ok,the kids behaved surprisingly nice, they watched cartoons and didn’t sleep at all. Take off was a bit scary for our youngest child as he hadn’t flown ever. Food was crappy and the kids passed on it but hubby and I ate.

About 2 hours waiting time at Addis Ababa which went by very quickly. We ate part of the snacks I had prepacked. ( Chinchin,biscuit,plantain chips). We were given priority boarding as we had kids.

Airplane used Fromm Addis Ababa to Toronto was same size howbeith newer. I was disappointed as I wanted more leg space. Food was served and the kids managed to eat a bit of the pasta. Everyone slept the whole 8 hours to Dublin.

Less than an hour at Dublin for refuelling, no one was allowed to disembark or use the toilet. We took off again, then the drama began! The kids became restless, my son cried non stop and nothin could pacify him. He was starving and I regretted not packing cereal and sandwich for him. My legs ached, and I was tired of running after the kids inthe plane. At a point I let them be and they disturbed almost everyone. Many were friendly towards them and tried to engage them. Finally the flight attendant brought them gift bags filled with toys, bricks , stickers, colour pencils and colour papers. That kept them busy for the rest of the journey.

Food was served 5 times all through but after the 3rd round, I stopped collecting as the food was bland and I was just so tired.

We landed Toronto Pearson at about 8am, I filled the landing card, proceeded to custom who asked me if I had milk or chicken. We were then directed to immigration. Lao,the queue was so lonnnng. We were separated into PR and student visa. Finally it got to our turn, not much question, asked us if we have ever been convicted and how much we have. Welcomed us to canada and directed us to were we will get our SIN.

We were done at about 12noon, claimed our baggage, dropped our declaration card and exited the building. Jumped into the TAXI straight A’s the cold hit our faces. Got to our Airbnb in less than 20mins and really loved the place.

Everyone was starving and thank God I brought complete ingredients for spaghetti. Made a quick fix using sardine and sat her tomato. Quick shower for everyone and we all slept.

The next 2 days, our body system was stilll messed up. We couldn’t do much and just kept sleeping,waking, eating and sleeping again.

By the 3rd day we were well rested and started exploring our environment, went to open our bank account and got our mobile. Did some shopping also.

We stayed in Toronto till 26th of December before we proceeded to Ottawa our final destination. We got a car and the journey was about 5 hours. We stopped over half way at the at the gas station, grabbed some panini and hot chocolate. We got to our Airbnb which was actually just bordering Gatineau. Really nice apartment. Made Eba and warmed our Egwusi.Everyone ate and slept off.

Apartment hunting started and we were getting frustrated, we had no reference, no jobs, no guarantors. Most agents were on holiday and cancelled many of the viewing bookings. Taxi was really expensive. Many of the apartments had been leased out and only February was vacant. I was almost getting depressed as the weather was way colder than in Toronto and moving around was a challenge. God showed up for us on the 31st and we got a nice 2 bedroom. No application was made, no reference was required, no pay stud. The woman just liked me and decided to favour us. Paid 1st and last month, signed the lease agreement.

School hunt starts on Thursday for myself and the kids as I do not plan working immediately.

aworldcitizen:
Landing Gist.
Family of 5.

Please what type of visa did u apply for that make u go with the whole of your family? your respond will be helpful has am planning to relocate to Canada with my family too God bless u
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gistwivkome(f): 9:14pm On Feb 22, 2019
You need to visit the sister thread. All the info you need is there.
https://www.nairaland.com/5031893/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Tiry87:
[color=#000000][/color]
Please what type of visa did u apply for that make u go with the whole of your family? your respond will be helpful has am planning to relocate to Canada with my family too God bless u

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AZeD1(m): 9:20pm On Feb 22, 2019
Guitarlife:

You are free to move and the address on SIN print out is just the address you used to register.

By the way, you once said, you were planning on moving towards Machine Learning/AI so I'll suggest looking for junior developer roles instead of application support(Its what I'll have done).

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by mikkyphp(m): 9:30pm On Feb 22, 2019
Guitarlife:

To make this move, you have to consider the your pocket cos you need to have enough money for rent and other sundry expenses. Moving into roles you have no previous experience in is usually a challenge, except you're coming in fresh from College as a GLP or Co-op student.
I thought your plan was to take any job for now, whilst you're reading for your analytics courses.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ceemac: 9:37pm On Feb 22, 2019
[quote author=KINGTELLER post=75981178][/quote]

All you need do is to go take multiple height measurements from different places, you know there are bound to be parallax and other measurements errors.

After taking like 15 measurements, you can statistically sample those data and get the mean, median, mode, mean deviation and standard deviation. Depending on the measure of dispersion you like the most, you can select preferably the mean, mode or standard deviation to fill..

On a side note, one is 5ft 12inches the other is 5ft 10inches, just fill 5ft 11 inches. That is you using sense and being wise. Tolerances are allowed in measurements.

What am I even saying sef, sha find the gist in there.

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jumdah20: 10:17pm On Feb 22, 2019
dispersion you like the most, you can select preferably the mean, mode or standard deviation to fill..

What am I even saying sef, sha find the gist in there.[/quote]

Even I am wondering, lolsssss

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:48pm On Feb 22, 2019
mikkyphp:

To make this move, you have to consider the your pocket cos you need to have enough money for rent and other sundry expenses. Moving into roles you have no previous experience in is usually a challenge, except you're coming in fresh from College as a GLP or Co-op student.
I thought your plan was to take any job for now, whilst you're reading for your analytics courses.
Thanks bro , survival job has been hard to come by in Calgary,I am still studying for my AI/Machine learning tho. Thanks.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:49pm On Feb 22, 2019
AZeD1:

You are free to move and the address on SIN print out is just the address you used to register.

By the way, you once said, you were planning on moving towards Machine Learning/AI so I'll suggest looking for junior developer roles instead of application support(Its what I'll have done).

Thanks bro , survival job has been hard to come by in Calgary,I am still studying for my AI/Machine learning tho. Thanks

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 2:11am On Feb 23, 2019
Mapleking:

Bruv, can I PM you. I was thinking of landing in Calgary too but with your post I am considering Ontario as I am in the IT industry. What’s the prospect for software developers in Alberta?

IT people..... Carry yourself to Ontario

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wisdom77: 3:56am On Feb 23, 2019
You can recharge your MTN SIM abroad from your internet banking platforms.

Mizwisdom:

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by KINGTELLER: 4:58am On Feb 23, 2019
ceemac:

All you need do is to go take multiple height measurements from different places, you know there are bound to be parallax and other measurements errors.

After taking like 15 measurements, you can statistically sample those data and get the mean, median, mode, mean deviation and standard deviation. Depending on the measure of dispersion you like the most, you can select preferably the mean, mode or standard deviation to fill..

On a side note, one is 5ft 12inches the other is 5ft 10inches, just fill 5ft 11 inches. That is you using sense and being wise. Tolerances are allowed in measurements.

What am I even saying sef, sha find the gist in there.

grin grin grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 8:32am On Feb 23, 2019
My Naija people, I know we can be quite self-sufficient as a people, but abeg, use Pre-arrival services (see link below).
As a former Boy Scout, we were taught to always BE PREPARED!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/newcomers/before-services.asp?utm_source=slash-pre-arrival-services-avant-arrivee&utm_medium=short-url-en&utm_campaign=general

26 Likes 26 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ArabianRose(f): 10:39am On Feb 23, 2019
@guitarlife, this might interest you. You might want to follow them on LinkedIn too if you haven't.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by IykeD(m): 11:30am On Feb 23, 2019
kissoflife:

Is it possible to enable roaming while abroad? My SIM stopped worked since I arrived.

The problem is not your SIM card but most likely your phone. Phones like Tecno and Infinix may not work with Canadian phone networks.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by daicee: 11:37am On Feb 23, 2019
I don't know if this question has been asked and answered on this thread but, kindly give help with an answer if you have it.

I have been thinking of a smooth way of transferring the money (the one I declared I am coming to Canada with) to Canada.

Will I be asked, at the point of entry, to show a proof that the funds are already in Canada?

Please, those that have already landed, kindly let us know how you went about with this and what the best options are.

God bless you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 12:30pm On Feb 23, 2019
ArabianRose:
@guitarlife, this might interest you. You might want to follow them on LinkedIn too if you haven't.
Thank you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by naijagirlhope: 1:30pm On Feb 23, 2019
Lastruct:
Hey my people. Please oh, I just got a good deal from Jumia, Abuja to Calgary through London Gatwik Airport.
Stop over of about 5hours, will I be needing a transit. VISA please. It’s urgently needed my people. Thank you guys.

Hi @Lastruct...congrats on the PR. Please I need your help to clarify some issues for me concerning medical and I would like to email you. My email is naijagirlhope@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aka2003: 7:39pm On Feb 23, 2019
Lastruct:
Hey my people. Please oh, I just got a good deal from Jumia, Abuja to Calgary through London Gatwik Airport.
Stop over of about 5hours, will I be needing a transit. VISA please. It’s urgently needed my people. Thank you guys.
I am not sure but i would assume it depends on the airport you arrive at. If you arrive in Heathrow then you need a visa to transfer to Gatwick. Is your flight to Calgary via WestJet? I think it’s best you check with the airlines

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by JESUnifemi4eva: 7:43pm On Feb 23, 2019
If you are using MTN, go to a service centre and request for 'keep my number'. It costs N1,200 for a 3-year cycle. I don't have the details for other service networks. Your MTN Sim will work here but bear in mind that roaming charges are horrendous. You are also charged about N50 if you receive text messages, but you can always recharge your phone using online banking platforms or even short USSD Codes depending on your Nigerian Financial Institution.

ready4glory:
Good morning great people. I'm having some concerns about my phone numbers. I really don't want them recycled to some other people, so how can I keep them active even after landing in Canada?

22 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 40manlappy: 10:09pm On Feb 23, 2019
Guitarlife:

@Fusion23 cc Mapleking

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Mapleking: 10:39pm On Feb 23, 2019
Your command is my wish sir

hayor2014:

IT people..... Carry yourself to Ontario
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by femora007(m): 7:13am On Feb 24, 2019
salford:

1. You need P. GEO to practice as a geologist. You could however get your Geo in training just like Engineer in training. I haven't seen any new or recently landed geo getting geo jobs. Some of the Geos (oil industry) I know actually lost jobs. Alberta oil sector is not quite down, but it is very down. Na optimization dey reign now for those still operatimg. We have one of the most expensive oil mining process in the world so Alberta took a heavy hit. No suprise Calgary has either the highest or second highest unemployment rate amongst cities in Canada. Office jobs which Calgary is majorly known for were seriously affected.
Are there any other jobs you might be willing tp explore outside the oil industry?

On the brighter side, the Conservative party are likely to win the election in Alberta in a couple of weeks. Although, the conservative government do not control the world price of oil, but maybe just maybe some of the conventional energy investors that fled during the down turn will return since the Conservative are usually against anything green energy or sustainable development.

2. I highly doubt you will get a realtor job that pays salary. They are usually strictly commision. They collect some percent of the sellers sale. If you are good at selling or flipping houses, you could make tons of money. I mean serious tons of money. Why would a realtor need salary anyway when some of the super realtors can sell 6 houses in a good month and make nothing less than 10k on each house sold. The housing industry is one of the biggest industry in Canada for a reason.

3. Food safety certificates courses are usually for people working or hoping to get a job in a place where food is prepared on a large scale. I know Provincial health services are one of the major employers of people with such certificates. I do not know maybe you meant a different food processing industry since what you hold is an advanced certificate. Have you checked Alberta occ info or indeed ca to see where such certificate(s) would lead you?

4. Can't say much about this since this will majorly depend on what you love doing. Your best bet would be to explore careers that are recession proof. The closest thing to your Geo if you decide to look for similar alternate careers with better career prospect at the moment (while keeping SAIT in mind) would be Civil Engineering/Tech.

Good luck!
How readily available is job in the agricultural sector, either crops or animals?

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) ... (65) (66) (67) (68) (69) (70) (71) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: Bibitayo2 and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.