Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,350 members, 7,808,223 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 09:00 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (76) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182112 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:06pm On Mar 02, 2019
Am sorry to drop this here but I believe so far the landing senior will prove me right or wrong.

Was on a thread where someone is considering leaving naija for Canada on a 7M annual salary job and a lot of opinions ensue but I dropped mine here. Pls tell me if this PR journey is not worth it

This is the more reason I have embarked on the PR journey and so far am closer to Canada than Nigeria even though am still in naija but am existing in utopia, a more perfect Canadian world.

I can't imagine having to live and serve a country like naija and still need to beg for help on social media at my old age.

Imagine parents spending there last on there children only to want to look up to them when they graduate hoping that they will get a good job but the children have to face evil reality of joblessness in naija eventually been frustrated not been able to cater for themselves let alone the parents. eventually the parent will be more poorer than they anticipated.

A country where I won't have to worry about school fee for my children for the first 14 years of their lives is worth trying.

Talking about tax, when you pay ur tax for certain facilities and amenities and u are really enjoying it I see no need to complain. U pay Nepa bill here in naija and also run generator simultaneously, u are doing yourself thinking u dey form big boy all because u collect 7M per annum. The stress of having to pull, polluting the air with toxic fumes from the general or kick start and some will even invest heavily on solar and inverter out of the 7M o just because u wanna cave a niche for yourself....�

In Canada u work and get paid as at when due/per hour if u wanna hustle and ur work hour tallies with ur pay. No salary delay, no outrageous security challenge, like robbery and kidnapping cos u struggle to buy Tokunbo Benz and people think u have arrived in naija, no rushing at bus terminal like we have in Oshodi when the conductor have to open his smelly armpit over your head to collect fair.

Even, just and exposed society and people where nobody cares whether u trek with ur God given legs or u cruise on a 2019Range Rover sport.

I will like to take my chances going to Canada and am so dead sure I won't regret it. Will come back here to share my Landing gist soon and my progress in Canada. Can't imagine my child going through the same suffering I went thro in naija where u only get job by having to know people and not considering u base on your level of competence and experience.

Been working in Naija since I left university and no employer is even interested in the fact that I have a 2-1, all they ask of is who refers u here, are u computer literate as if everybody should study computer science.... Abegi

46 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 02, 2019
Topsmamen:

The question now is......who will mark @raphrulz' PPR script? grin

The guy go too fail ooo
Cos me na 2.5/10 I go give am
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jennypharb1: 3:26pm On Mar 02, 2019
Topsmamen:

His own go bad gan, everyone else will have to mark it. That kind minus 9/10 grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Topsmamen: 3:36pm On Mar 02, 2019
pyruvateluv:
The guy go too fail ooo

Lmao! 2.5. grin

Jennypharb1:
His own go bad gan, everyone else will have to mark it. That kind minus 9/10 grin

Hahaha! If everyone else marks, dat part 7 go finish be dat.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 3:38pm On Mar 02, 2019
Folafikemi:
Am sorry to drop this here but I believe so far the landing senior will prove me right or wrong.

Was on a thread where someone is considering leaving naija for Canada on a 7M annual salary job and a lot of opinions ensue but I dropped mine here. Pls tell me if this PR journey is not worth it

Just as the say goes, to each his own. Just as Nigeria,
Canada can never be a one-size-fits-all.

As for me, Nigeria is one of the countries I would love to immigrate to one day.

9 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Kmgb1: 3:49pm On Mar 02, 2019
optionese:
Hello everyone, its been ages. Finally landed this week in Brampton. Hoping for a fruitful stay in Canada

Oh wow! wondered about you a couple of times,glad u are doing okay and landed FINALLY

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by vcole: 4:33pm On Mar 02, 2019
Welcome to Canada
optionese:
Hello everyone, its been ages. Finally landed this week in Brampton. Hoping for a fruitful stay in Canada

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 4:36pm On Mar 02, 2019
TheCongo2:

Just as the say goes, to each his own. Just as Nigeria,
Canada can never be a one-size-fits-all.

As for me, Nigeria is one of the countries I would love to immigrate to one day.

Are u not a Nigerian? Besides naija is good but not to be compared to Canada. Lots of variables are involved

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by TheCongo2: 5:20pm On Mar 02, 2019
Folafikemi:

Are u not a Nigerian? Besides naija is good but not to be compared to Canada. Lots of variables are involved

That is exactly my point.
Nigeria and Canada have this one thing in common:
Neither of them is and will never be a one-size-fits-all.

For some people, Nigeria is way better than Canada. For other people Canada is better.

You have said it well, there are a lot of variable involved.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by maternal: 6:20pm On Mar 02, 2019
Folafikemi:

This is the more reason I have embarked on the PR journey and so far am closer to Canada than Nigeria even though am still in naija but am existing in utopia, a more perfect Canadian world.

I can't imagine having to live and serve a country like naija and still need to beg for help on social media at my old age.

Imagine parents spending there last on there children only to want to look up to them when they graduate hoping that they will get a good job but the children have to face evil reality of joblessness in naija eventually been frustrated not been able to cater for themselves let alone the parents. eventually the parent will be more poorer than they anticipated.

A country where I won't have to worry about school fee for my children for the first 14 years of their lives is worth trying.

Talking about tax, when you pay ur tax for certain facilities and amenities and u are really enjoying it I see no need to complain. U pay Nepa bill here in naija and also run generator simultaneously, u are doing yourself thinking u dey form big boy all because u collect 7M per annum. The stress of having to pull, polluting the air with toxic fumes from the general or kick start and some will even invest heavily on solar and inverter out of the 7M o just because u wanna cave a niche for yourself....�

In Canada u work and get paid as at when due/per hour if u wanna hustle and ur work hour tallies with ur pay. No salary delay, no outrageous security challenge, like robbery and kidnapping cos u struggle to buy Tokunbo Benz and people think u have arrived in naija, no rushing at bus terminal like we have in Oshodi when the conductor have to open his smelly armpit over your head to collect fair.

Even, just and exposed society and people where nobody cares whether u trek with ur God given legs or u cruise on a 2019Range Rover sport.

I will like to take my chances going to Canada and am so dead sure I won't regret it. Will come back here to share my Landing gist soon and my progress in Canada. Can't imagine my child going through the same suffering I went thro in naija where u only get job by having to know people and not considering u base on your level of competence and experience.

Been working in Naija since I left university and no employer is even interested in the fact that I have a 2-1, all they ask of is who refers u here, are u computer literate as if everybody should study computer science.... Abegi

It all depends what you value in life. Personally I don't value money so Canada fits me better. Seems we value the same thing.

19 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MissEmmy: 7:07pm On Mar 02, 2019
Randomsue:

Thank you for sharing and congratulations on a safe arrival.

Your trip was anything but boring jor, you managed to reach 3 provinces in one landing. My kind of trip indeed!

May the land favour you and make you forget how much more ahead the UK and USA seem to be...lol

Cheers

Lol... Amen, Thank you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 8:35pm On Mar 02, 2019
For those of us interested in Farming/Agriculture:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/farmland-matchmaking-ontario-1.5032782

Lots of dormant farmland in Ontario.

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 8:54pm On Mar 02, 2019
Red Seal Trades (Skilled Trades in Canada)

Designated trades are governed by regulations under the Provincial and Territorial Apprenticeship Acts. These regulations outline the administrative procedures and in some case the standards and conditions of training for specific trades (e.g. methods of registering apprentices, curriculum, accreditation, and certification).

1. Agricultural Equipment Technician

2. Appliance Service Technician

3. Auto Body and Collision Technician (previously known as Motor Vehicle Body Repairer (Metal and Paint))

4. Automotive Refinishing Technician (previously known as Automotive Painter)

5. Automotive Service Technician

6. Boilermaker

7. Bricklayer

8. Cabinetmaker

9. Carpenter

10. Concrete Finisher

11. Construction Craft Worker

12. Construction Electrician

13. Cook

14. Drywall Finisher and Plasterer

15. Electric Motor System Technician

16. Floorcovering Installer

17. Gasfitter — Class A

18. Gasfitter — Class B

19. Glazier

20. Hairstylist

21. Heavy Duty Equipment Technician

22. Heavy Equipment Operator (Dozer)

23. Heavy Equipment Operator (Excavator)

24. Heavy Equipment Operator (Tractor-Loader-Backhoe)

25. Industrial Electrician

26. Industrial Mechanic (Millwright)

27. Instrumentation and Control Technician

28. Insulator (Heat and Frost)

29. Ironworker (Generalist)

30. Ironworker (Reinforcing)

31. Ironworker (Structural/Ornamental)

32. Landscape Horticulturist

33. Lather (Interior Systems Mechanic)

34. Machinist

35. Metal Fabricator (Fitter)

36. Mobile Crane Operator

37. Motorcycle Mechanic

38. Oil Heat System Technician

39. Painter and Decorator

40. Partsperson

41. Plumber

42. Powerline Technician

43. Recreation Vehicle Service Technician

44. Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Mechanic

45. Rig Technician

46. Roofer

47. Sheet Metal Worker

48. Sprinkler Fitter

49. Steamfitter/Pipefitter

50. Tilesetter

51. Tool and Die Maker

52. Tower Crane Operator

53. Transport Trailer Technician

54. Truck and Transport Mechanic

55. Welder

For details, go to the Red Seal website: http://www.red-seal.ca/trades/tr.1d.2s_l.3st-eng.html

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Treasure1611: 8:56pm On Mar 02, 2019
Hello My people good day, I would really love to hear from anyone living in New Brunswick. The choice of province to settle is a tough one. We are considering Job opportunities vs Cost of living.
We are wondering if New Brunswick is a good idea for a new immigrant to land and if there are also huge job market for people in finance/banking. Although I'm aware that Ontario is the financial hub of Canada, but worried about the cost of living there.

Will appreciate inputs please, its been a tustle of the mind and we hope to land soon.

Thank you so much.

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by titiclassy: 11:46pm On Mar 02, 2019
LANDING GIST (LANDED 2 WEEKS AGO)

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD

We booked LUFTHANSA flight for 14th February (yes oo..that was the VAL gift for the family). We went to Lufthansa office in VI so it was cheaper.My hubby doenst joke with his comfort , so he paid for extra leg room, especially because we are flying with a baby and a toddler. Prior to our leaving, when people ask me how i feel about the relocation..I just say hopeful! even when family and friends were super excited on my behalf, me I just dey hopeful o not anxcious, not sad, but hopeful!..hahaha. I stopped work a week and half before trip. I was given a surprise sendforth party at work which encouraged me a great deal and made me rethink leaving known for unknown..but the rethink didnt last for more than a minute... grin In preparation for the winter I had gone to Yaba to get some gears. was fortunate to meet a merchant that had very nice things...so i made 3 different trips to his place and ended up buying more than i planned (my luggage allowance paid for it but I am enjoying the nice wears now)
I started packing our luggages ..7 checked in luggaages (5 for clothes, shoes, books, albums,household stuff, 2 for some naija food stuff...)thank God for the list that was shared here... i forgot my broom and shea butter sha.. The digital hand scale helped but i still did strong head ,over packed some bags (especially hand luggaes). I had a special hand luggage dedicated for beans and poundo..it was weighing about 15kg..but when nairaland people told me not to try it...i repsected myslef , found a way to distribute the beans and poundo into checked in luggage while i tranfered shoes and boots into hand luggage. lest I forget I also had..3 hand luggages, 3 back packs, one diaper bag ( i smuggeled my entire heavy jeweries and beads into the diaper bag..heheheh.. when only jewelry and beads were weighed 5kg (pls facefront o).
Fast forward to the d-day..parents and inlaws saw us off to teh airport, we took some pictures and said bye bye..that was around 3pm...5hours before check in commenced.
we paid 4k for the 2 bags that contained foodstuff. All of a suddden I started fidgetting, feeling guity that my bags will not pass due to over-weight. So i approached one of teh airline officials and reported myself to him that I have over-weight bags and that he should pls help me when the time comes for check-in (my hubby got so pissed at me for reporting myself already). that was how teh guy started exploiting my fear...he took teh bags and went to weigh them, he told us we were overshooting our allowance by 22kg or so and mentioned that teh only solution was to pay for an extra 23kg which costs $300 there about...i started widing my husband to allow us beg him to collect 50k.na so the guy do shakara for us and left us. At once my husband told me in 'Yoruba' 'u better start offloading all the off-loadables. That was how I jejely put my baby in his stroller and started off-loading some stuff- removed 2 pack of beans out of 3, 2 kegs of plam oit out of 4, 2 of my heavy shoes, 1 family picture frame out of 2, 2 semolina out of 3,one one heavy but fine hand bag that my sister has been wanting to collect..that was how all teh luggages came into teh 23.5-24 kg range and teh hand luggages 8kg. I packed all those extra into a GMG i bought at the airport , I begged one of the customer service ladies to keep it till a friend come to get it that evening. We were given priority checkin because of my baby..infact having an infant travelling with u paves the way. we were given priority for all queues.
My family was a sight to behold during secuity checking and proceeding for boarding due to our plenty load, (7 cabin bags o...with baby stroller and car seat) i cant try that kind of cabin load again moving with kids. Just before boarding they announced that those with more than 1 cabin bags should come and check in the extras..we were so happy..my husband took 3 of our 'buddens' to add to our check-in to be collected at final destination- pearson
Our first trip was very comfortable cos of the extra leg room seats, food was just there.My kids were given toys, coloring book and crayons, snacks too. We all slept for most part of the flight.We landed at frankurt airport and here we had to trek and and also a short train ride within 15th facility before we located our boarding gate. Anyways we experienced a little bit of racism by one of the Air canada officials..they called for priority boarding for anyone with infant and i and my family proceeded to the fornt but she was shocked we were blacks and said we shld hold on (for no explainable reason o)but her coleague interupted and said some words in German and ended it with 'its not fair'..so that was how we sha proceeded into the bus that took us to the plane. Lest i forget our air Canada flight from Frankfurt to Toronto was delyed for 2 hours..all ths people jst they look us..and We were the only blacks in this flight. I just told my husband that my Nairaland people too like cheap...Ethiopian and Egypt air. Seriously...i was looking for just 1 of u guys..common! smiley
The flight to Toronto was just there..we seat felt cramped..ot that they were bad but we had enjoyed space in teh previous flight..my baby and toddler were more active and demanding..but honestly..they behaved better than i had imagened..we imagened the worst..it was their first flght. Good movies We landed Pearson airport at around 3:50pm. We proceeded to immigration. they scanned our passports, minuted on our declaration card and then showed us to take the elevator downstairs to luggage claim. We got our luggages gt one of the luggage movers to move the luggages for $15 or so. We took our bags to customs, they didnt check our bags, she just asked me if we had anythng chicken..and i siad NO, God forbid (in my naija head i was like...chai i shld av smuggled some knorr chicken oo..see as this people no chekc anything..lol)
We left customs and proceeded to exit ..yes o EXIT...We missed out teh boarder service part o!..i totally forgot all the steps Nairaland and other Seniors had mentioned. Our famility friends were outside with their cars waiting for us..we came out of teh airport and lo and behold the cold welcomed us no be for here oooo..you cant imagen...i was almost crying for my baby in teh stroller..because the guy frowned face o.. it was colder than my freezer in lagos o..i mean it.
We drove to our airbnb in South mississauga..very lovely apartment ..our friends brougt plenty jollof rice, naija style chicken, efo riri and friends stew... 3 big bottles of juice..some snacks..We gisted a bit..then ate some jollof and we all went to sleep...Our sleep and wake up schedule was 'wakked' for teh next 4-5 days o..it seems we were always eating in the midnight (naija morning time). It was while I was gisting with a landed senior that I confirmed that we had missed a major step of COPR signing and Visa stamping..I also double checked with my Indian coleagues on whatsapp group (lol). Guess what.some people feel we wld be told to return to naija and re-enter. My slef ad my husband cld not relax well on sunday o .... Thank God Monday 18th was family holiday in Canada..so we begged our family friend to come pick us back to teh airport. it snowwed heavily tht morning but we didnot even mind..My prayers was that they shld do our landing proper for us. We located Boarder service and teh guy initially shakara us that we will have to re-eter Canada. I almost started crying o. I started speaking all the british english i could, told him nobody directed us to sign COPR..that we were not aware of where to go next after immmigration or customs.. so that was how he directed us to anotehr of his coleague and that one now had mercy on us. Na back door (staff lobby) we take enter the COPR area o. We signed COPR, landing date was taken as that day MOnday instaed of the previous Friday. We also got our SIN. We ot back to airbnb feeling releived. made poundo with our efo riro and drank juice and slept.
Fast forward to current situation..we opened account with RBC (1 year free charges on transactions, $2000 credit card each), wrote G1and passed (hubby will get a trainer and write G next week), we got mobile phone package from Rogers (2 huawei p2 pro phones, 11 gig shared, for $140). We booked appointment with settlement agencies New commer center of Peel, Access employment information session, COSTI . We attended a small church in our area and teh pastrs wife have been giving my chidren things, toys clothes, even booster seat for my toddler (the uber drivers cld not take us witout this. Moving around with uber has been expensive but we got to do what we have to do ..its only for a while. The House hunting..chai..it has been discouraing.. the apartments have been asking for requirements (job letters, credit history) that we dont have. Even basement owners does not want to take me with babies...2 of them gave excuses of not being comfortable to put small kids in basement. We got a basement in Brampton but we no too like teh basement..we are still searching sha. Our airbnb runs out in few days and we have an option of a 3 months short rent in a furnished aprtment..its a little above our budget but i guess we will just take it .Myself and hubby are both in the IT domain so we dont want to go out of the GTA. We have started looking for jobs too..and we will keep trying out churches and networking events. Because of the children..we might have to take turns going out. However i learnt that government will bear cost of daycare for the first 12 months if I get a job or go to school. Health card will not be ready till after 3 months. That was how my baby was sick for 2 days and I had to manage it with hot bath, robb, tynenol painkillers and prayers.. I am praying that no one gets ill again o. meanwhile the plenty winter wears have been serving us well o. even our family frinds says they are nice. We have been going to Square One mall every other day to enjoy savory meals and shop groceries in wallmart..may God help our POF..lolzz

140 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 11:59pm On Mar 02, 2019
phemmi1:
Hello junebaby, pls are u already in Canada? Where r u sitting for ur exam? I should enter Canada in April, going to Calgary. I have a paper left to write in ACCA to qualify. Been trying to find a centre in Calgary but nothing yet.

Make sure your finish that exam in Nigeria, else CPA will not accept the conversion if you come to write any ACCA paper in canada....

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 12:20am On Mar 03, 2019
Hmmmm **Pensive**

Topsmamen:

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 12:20am On Mar 03, 2019
Yeepaaaaa!!!

pyruvateluv:

The guy go too fail ooo
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by raphrulz: 12:21am On Mar 03, 2019
My God ooo!!

Please, forgive and forget naaa cry cry cry cry

Jennypharb1:

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zutlin: 1:00am On Mar 03, 2019
raphrulz:
My God ooo!!

Please, forgive and forget naaa cry cry cry cry

cheesy grin
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Zutlin: 2:07am On Mar 03, 2019
titiclassy:

We booked LUFTHANSA flight for 14th February (yes oo..that was the VAL gift for the family). We went to Lufthansa office in VI so it was cheaper.My hubby doenst joke with his comfort , so he paid for extra leg room, especially because we are flying with a baby and a toddler. Prior to our leaving, when people ask me how i feel about the relocation..I just say hopeful! even when family and friends were super excited on my behalf, me I just dey hopeful o not anxcious, not sad, but hopeful!..hahaha. I stopped work a week and half before trip. I was given a surprise sendforth party at work which encouraged me a great deal and made me rethink leaving known for unknown..but the retink didnt last formore than a minute... grin In preparation for the winter I had gon to Yaba to gt some gears. was fortunate to meet a merchant that had very nice things...so i made 3 different trips to his place and ended up buying more than i planned (my luggage allowance paid for it but I am enjoying the nice wears now)
I started packing our luggages ..7 checked in luggaages (5 for clothes, shoes, books, alums,household stuff, 2 for some nija food stuff...)thank God for the list that was shared here... i forgot my broom and shea butter sha.. The digital hand scale helped but i still did strong head over packed some bags (especially hand luggaes). I had a special hand luggage dedicated for beans and poundo..it was weighing about 15kg..but when nairaland people told me not to try it...i repsected myslef , found a way to distribute te beans and poundo into checked in luggage while i tranfered shoes and boots into hand luggage. lest I forget I also had..3 hand luggages, 3 back packs, one diaper bag ( i smuggeled my entire heavy jeweries and beads into teh diaper bag..heheheh.. when only jewelry and beads were weighing 5kg (pls facefront o).
Fast forward to the d-day..parents and inlaws saw us off to teh airport, we took some pictures and said bye bye..that was around 3pm...5hours before check in commenced.
we paid 4k for the 2 bags that contained foodstuff. All of a suddden I started fidgetting, feeling guity that my bags will not pass due to over-weight. So i approached one of teh airline officials and reported myself to him that I have over-weight bags and that he should pls help me when the time comes for check-in (my hubby got so pissed at me). that was how teh guy started exploiting my fear...he took teh bags and went to weigh them, he told us we were overshooting our allowance by 22kg or so and mentioned that teh only solution was to pay for an extra 23kg which costs $300 there about...i started widing my husband to allow us beg him to collect 50k.na so the guy do shakara for us and left us. At once my husband told me in 'Yoruba' 'u better start offloading all the off-loadables. That was how I jejely put my baby in his stroller and started off-loading some stuff- removd 2 pack of beans out of 3, 2 kegs of plam oit out of 4, 2 of my heavy shoes, 1 family picture frame out of 2, 2 semolina out of 3,one one heavy butfine hand bag that my sister has been craving to collect..that was how all teh luggages came into teh 23.5-24 kg range and teh hand luggages 8kg. I packed all those extra into a GMG i bought at the airport , I begged one of the customer service ladies to keep it till a friend come to get it that evening. We were given priority check -in due because of my baby..infact having an infant travelling realy paves the way. we were given priority for all queues.
My family was a sight to behold during secuity checking and proceeding for boarding due to our plenty load, (7 cabin bags o...with babay stroller and car seat) i cant try that kind of cabin load again moving with kids. Just before boarding they announced that those with more than 1 cabin bags should come and checkin the extras..we were so happy..my husband took 3 of our 'buddens' to add to our check-in to eb collected at final destination-toronto
Our first trip was very comfortable cos of the extra leg room seats, food was just there.My kids were given toys, coloring book and crayons, snacks too. We all slept for most part of the flight.We landed at frankurt airport and here we had to trek an dtrek before we located our boarding gate. Anyways we experienced a little bit of racism by one of the Air canada officials..they called for priority boarding for anyone with infant and i and my family proceeded to the fornt but she was shocked we were blacks and said we shld hold on (for no explainable reason o)but her coleague interupted and said some words in German and ended it with 'its not fair'..so that was how we sha proceeded into ths bus that took s to the plane. Lest i forget our air Canada flight from Frankfurt to Toronto was delyed for 2 hours..all ths people jst they look us..and We were the only blacks in this flight. I just told my husband that my Nairaland people too like cheap...Ethiopian and Egypt air. Seriously...i was looking for just 1 of u guys..common! smiley
The flight to Toronto was just there..we seat felt cramped..ot that they were bad but we had enjoyed space in teh previous flight..my baby and toddler wer emre active and demanding..but honestly..they behaved better than i had imagened..we imagened the worst..it was their first flght. Good movies We landed Pearson airport at around 3:50pm. We proceeded to immigration. they scanned our passports, minuted on our declaration card and then showed us to take the elevator downstairs to luggage claim. We got our luggages gt one of the luggage movers to move the luggages for $15 or so. We took our bags to customs, they didnt check our bags, she just asked me if we had anythng chicken..and i siad NO, God forbid (in my naija head i was like...chai i shld av smuggled some knorr chicken oo..see as this people no chekc anything..lol)
That was we left customs and proceeded to exit ..yes o EXIT...We missed out teh boarder service part o!..i totally forgot all the steps Nairaland and other Seniors had mentioned. Our famility friends were outside with their cars waiting for us..we came out of teh airport and lo and behold the cold welcomed us no be for here oooo..you cant imagen...i was almost crying for my baby in teh stroller..because the guy frowned face o.. it was colder than my freezer in lagos o..i mean it.
We drove to our airbnb in South mississauga..very lovely apartment ..our friends brougt plenty jollof rice, naija style chicken, efo riri and friends stew... 3 big bottles of jice..some snacks..We gisted a bit..then ate some jollof and we all went to sleep...Our sleep and wake up schedule was 'wakked' for teh next 4-5 days o..it seems we were always eating in the midnight (naija morning time). It was while I was gisting with a landed senior that I confirmed that we had missed a major step of COPR signing and Visa stamping..I also double checked with my Indian coleagues on whatsapp group (lol). Guess what.some people feel we wld be told to return to naija and re-enter. My slef ad my husband cld not relax well on sunday o .... Thank God Monday 18th was family holiday in Canada..so we begged our family friend to come pick us back to teh airport. it snowwed heavily tht morning but we didnot even mind..My prayers was that they shld do our landing proper for us. We located Boarder service and teh guy iniially shakara us that we will have to re-eter Canada. I almost started crying o. I started speaking all the british english i could told him nobody directed us to sign COPR..that we are not awrae of were to go next after immmigration or customs.. so that was how he directed us to anotehr of his coleague and that one now had mercy on us. Na back door (staff lobby) we take enter the COPR area o. We signed COPR, landing date was taken as that day MOnday instaed of the previous Friday. We also got our SIN. We ot back to airbnb feeling releived. made poundo with our efo riro and drank juice and slept.
Fast forward to current situation..we opened account with RBC (1 year free charges on transactions, $2000 credit card each), wrote G1and passed (hubby will get a trainer and write G next week), we got mobile phone package from Rogers (2 huawei p2 pro phones, 11 gig shared for $140). We booked appointment with settlement agencies New commer center of Peel, Access employment information session, COSTI . We attended a small church in our area and teh pastrs wife have been giving my chidren things, toys clothes, eve booster seat for my toddler (the uber drivers cld not take us witout this. Moving around with uber has been expensive but we got to do what we have to do ..its only for a while. The House hunting..chai..it has been discouraing.. the apartments have been asking for requirements (job letters, credit history) that we dont have. Even basement owners does not want to take me with babies...2 of them gave excuses of not being comfortable to put small kids in basement. We got a basement in Brampton but we no too like teh basement..we are still searching sha. Our airbnb runs out in few days and we have an option of a 3 months short rent in a furnished aprtment..its a little above our budget but i guess we will just take it .Myself and hubby are both in the IT domain so we dont want to go out of the GTA. We have started looking for jobs too..and we will keep trying out churches and networking events. Because of the children..we might have to take turns going out. However i learnt that government will bear cost of daycare for the first 12 months if I get a job or go to school. Health card will not be ready till after 3 months. That was how my baby was sick for 2 days and I had to maanage it with hot bath, robb, tynenol painkillers and prayers.. I am praying that no one gets ill again o. meanwhile the plenty winter wears have been serving us well o. even our family frinds says they are nice. We have been going to Square One mall every other day to enjoy savory meals and shop groceries in wallmart..may God help our POF..lolzz

Thank God for a safe landing.

Please do you speak Dutch (or whatever language the airline staff at Frankfurt spoke)? I was just wondering how you knew that the reason your family was delayed a bit at priority boarding was due to your race - and not some other reason.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by kay2011(m): 2:12am On Mar 03, 2019
1 year stock taking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I clocked 1 year in Canada today like play like play o and it has been an interesting journey.

I remember writing about how I got my first job with TD Bank 3 weeks after landing in Canada (I think it is in part 1 of this thread). I started as CSR with TD Bank in May 2018. Though, it was not the best paying job but it helped me to pay some of my bills and got me into the financial industry. While I was at it, I was actively looking for something bigger and better.

In July 2018, one of the recruitment agencies got me an interview for another role, aced it and I got a 6 month contract role with another bank. I left TD Bank but I was just getting to like the bank. Before i forget, we had a road trip to Niagara falls in one weekend like that. The kids really enjoyed it the Water Park. I started the new role in August 2018, it was supposed to run till February 2019. That's how I started paying almost $400/month on transportation to work o ( I live in Brampton and travel on the GO Train to Downtown Toronto everyday for work). My weekly overtime hours pay for that.

Met some Naija people in the course of my waka here and we had a small Christmas get together with my new Naija friends. It was a fun. Madam was elated at passing her first turkey baking challenge. Abeg, I am still looking for more Naija people in this neighborhood.

So, one faithful afternoon in the first week in January 2019 like that while I was having my lunch, na so my Manager came to call me that I should see him after my break, I was like "abi contract don end be that? or was I not delivering my deliverable". Anyway, I went to see the guy and he was like they were offering me a conversion of my status from contract to full term employee. I was even doing shakara that I wanted a senior role. Anyway, I sha took the offer.

I am enjoying the job and the stuff I am learning. It's looking upward and cant complain. I feel the need for a part time job, so I started a travel website : http://budgetfaresnow.com/ for flights, hotels and shopping. Abeg make una help a brother. I also have a block of (4nos) 3 bedroom flat for sale in Ikorodu, Lagos. I am hoping to register a business soon in Canada and see how well it goes.

Conclusion:
1. Everybody's story is different
2. It might be important to start small to sort out the bills
3. Last last, everybody will be alright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

143 Likes 18 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by behati: 2:55am On Mar 03, 2019
hayor2014:

Make sure your finish that exam in Nigeria, else CPA will not accept the conversion if you come to write any ACCA paper in canada....
I don't think this information is correct, if it is, then quote your source. This is why it is good for people to research basic stuff for themselves, and when in doubt, contact the authority (CPA in this case).

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by titiclassy: 3:05am On Mar 03, 2019
Zutlin:

Thank God for a safe landing.

Please do you speak Dutch (or whatever language the airline staff at Frankfurt spoke)? I was just wondering how you knew that the reason your family was delayed a bit at priority boarding was due to your race - and not some other reason.

I don't know the point u r trying to make. But I will just answer ur qstn ..yes I picked what they were communicating. Hope u r fine now.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Elektra008(f): 5:25am On Mar 03, 2019
kay2011:
1 year stock taking !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I clocked 1 year in Canada today like play like play o and it has been an interesting journey.

I remember writing about how I got my first job with TD Bank 3 weeks after landing in Canada (I think it is in part 1 of this thread). I started as CSR with TD Bank in May 2018. Though, it was not the best paying job but it helped me to pay some of my bills and got me into the financial industry. While I was at it, I was actively looking for something bigger and better.

In July 2018, one of the recruitment agencies got me an interview for another role, aced it and I got a 6 month contract role with another bank. I left TD Bank but I was just getting to like the bank. Before i forget, we had a road trip to Niagara falls in one weekend like that. The kids really enjoyed it the Water Park. I started the new role in August 2018, it was supposed to run till February 2019. That's how I started paying almost $400/month on transportation to work o ( I live in Brampton and travel on the GO Train to Downtown Toronto everyday for work). My weekly overtime hours pay for that.

Met some Naija people in the course of my waka here and we had a small Christmas get together with my new Naija friends. It was a fun. Madam was elated at passing her first turkey baking challenge. Abeg, I am still looking for more Naija people in this neighborhood.

So, one faithful afternoon in the first week in January 2019 like that while I was having my lunch, na so my Manager came to call me that I should see him after my break, I was like "abi contract don end be that? or was I not delivering my deliverable". Anyway, I went to see the guy and he was like they were offering me a conversion of my status from contract to full term employee. I was even doing shakara that I wanted a senior role. Anyway, I sha took the offer.

I am enjoying the job and the stuff I am learning. It's looking upward and cant complain. I feel the need for a part time job, so I started a travel website : http://budgetfaresnow.com/ for flights, hotels and shopping. Abeg make una help a brother. I also have a block of (4nos) 3 bedroom flat for sale in Ikorodu, Lagos. I am hoping to register a business soon in Canada and see how well it goes.

Conclusion:
1. Everybody's story is different
2. It might be important to start small to sort out the bills
3. Last last, everybody will be alright !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice one. I pray for good testimonies also.ur customer service job with TD, u had a banking job in Nigeria previously? Was it In customer service? I am still trying to fit in my customer service bank job for an acceptable noc equivalent.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 6:40am On Mar 03, 2019
Folafikemi:

2.1?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:10am On Mar 03, 2019
hayor2014:

Does this applies too to CIMA, i.e I must finish it before I arrive canny?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 03, 2019
sad
Renzel1:
Good evening
I’m inquiring on the Canadian permanent residence or work permit if it’s possible to also get a job that’s work and travel
PS I’m not a graduate I’d need to be enlightened more on this thanks
For instance get an evaluation of my transcript in the university for a work permit
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AdetonaDami(m): 7:35am On Mar 03, 2019
titiclassy:

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD

We booked LUFTHANSA flight for 14th February (yes oo..that was the VAL gift for the family). We went to Lufthansa office in VI so it was cheaper.My hubby doenst joke with his comfort , so he paid for extra leg room, especially because we are flying with a baby and a toddler. Prior to our leaving, when people ask me how i feel about the relocation..I just say hopeful! even when family and friends were super excited on my behalf, me I just dey hopeful o not anxcious, not sad, but hopeful!..hahaha. I stopped work a week and half before trip. I was given a surprise sendforth party at work which encouraged me a great deal and made me rethink leaving known for unknown..but the retink didnt last formore than a minute... grin In preparation for the winter I had gon to Yaba to gt some gears. was fortunate to meet a merchant that had very nice things...so i made 3 different trips to his place and ended up buying more than i planned (my luggage allowance paid for it but I am enjoying the nice wears now)
I started packing our luggages ..7 checked in luggaages (5 for clothes, shoes, books, alums,household stuff, 2 for some nija food stuff...)thank God for the list that was shared here... i forgot my broom and shea butter sha.. The digital hand scale helped but i still did strong head over packed some bags (especially hand luggaes). I had a special hand luggage dedicated for beans and poundo..it was weighing about 15kg..but when nairaland people told me not to try it...i repsected myslef , found a way to distribute te beans and poundo into checked in luggage while i tranfered shoes and boots into hand luggage. lest I forget I also had..3 hand luggages, 3 back packs, one diaper bag ( i smuggeled my entire heavy jeweries and beads into teh diaper bag..heheheh.. when only jewelry and beads were weighing 5kg (pls facefront o).
we paid 4k for the 2 bags that contained foodstuff. All of a suddden I started fidgetting, feeling guity that my bags will not pass due to over-weight. So i approached one of teh airline officials and reported myself to him that I have over-weight bags and that he should pls help me when the time comes for check-in (my hubby got so pissed at me). that was how teh guy started exploiting my fear...he took teh bags and went to weigh them, he told us we were overshooting our allowance by 22kg or so and mentioned that teh only solution was to pay for an extra 23kg which costs $300 there about...i started widing my husband to allow us beg him to collect 50k.na so the guy do shakara for us and left us. At once my husband told me in 'Yoruba' 'u better start offloading all the off-loadables. That was how I jejely put my baby in his stroller and started off-loading some stuff- removd 2 pack of beans out of 3, 2 kegs of plam oit out of 4, 2 of my heavy shoes, 1 family picture frame out of 2, 2 semolina out of 3,one one heavy butfine hand bag that my sister has been craving to collect..that was how all teh luggages came into teh 23.5-24 kg range and teh hand luggages 8kg. I packed all those extra into a GMG i bought at the airport , I begged one of the customer service ladies to keep it till a friend come to get it that evening. We were given priority check -in due because of my baby..infact having an infant travelling realy paves the way. we were given priority for all queues.
My family was a sight to behold during secuity checking and proceeding for boarding due to our plenty load, (7 cabin bags o...with babay stroller and car seat) i cant try that kind of cabin load again moving with kids. Just before boarding they announced that those with more than 1 cabin bags should come and checkin the extras..we were so happy..my husband took 3 of our 'buddens' to add to our check-in to eb collected at final destination-toronto
Our first trip was very comfortable cos of the extra leg room seats, food was just there.My kids were given toys, coloring book and crayons, snacks too. We all slept for most part of the flight.We landed at frankurt airport and here we had to trek an dtrek before we located our boarding gate. Anyways we experienced a little bit of racism by one of the Air canada officials..they called for priority boarding for anyone with infant and i and my family proceeded to the fornt but she was shocked we were blacks and said we shld hold on (for no explainable reason o)but her coleague interupted and said some words in German and ended it with 'its not fair'..so that was how we sha proceeded into ths bus that took s to the plane. Lest i forget our air Canada flight from Frankfurt to Toronto was delyed for 2 hours..all ths people jst they look us..and We were the only blacks in this flight. I just told my husband that my Nairaland people too like cheap...Ethiopian and Egypt air. Seriously...i was looking for just 1 of u guys..common! smiley
The flight to Toronto was just there..we seat felt cramped..ot that they were bad but we had enjoyed space in teh previous flight..my baby and toddler wer emre active and demanding..but honestly..they behaved better than i had imagened..we imagened the worst..it was their first flght. Good movies We landed Pearson airport at around 3:50pm. We proceeded to immigration. they scanned our passports, minuted on our declaration card and then showed us to take the elevator downstairs to luggage claim. We got our luggages gt one of the luggage movers to move the luggages for $15 or so. We took our bags to customs, they didnt check our bags, she just asked me if we had anythng chicken..and i siad NO, God forbid (in my naija head i was like...chai i shld av smuggled some knorr chicken oo..see as this people no chekc anything..lol)
That was we left customs and proceeded to exit ..yes o EXIT...We missed out teh boarder service part o!..i totally forgot all the steps Nairaland and other Seniors had mentioned. Our famility friends were outside with their cars waiting for us..we came out of teh airport and lo and behold the cold welcomed us no be for here oooo..you cant imagen...i was almost crying for my baby in teh stroller..because the guy frowned face o.. it was colder than my freezer in lagos o..i mean it.
We drove to our airbnb in South mississauga..very lovely apartment ..our friends brougt plenty jollof rice, naija style chicken, efo riri and friends stew... 3 big bottles of jice..some snacks..We gisted a bit..then ate some jollof and we all went to sleep...Our sleep and wake up schedule was 'wakked' for teh next 4-5 days o..it seems we were always eating in the midnight (naija morning time). It was while I was gisting with a landed senior that I confirmed that we had missed a major step of COPR signing and Visa stamping..I also double checked with my Indian coleagues on whatsapp group (lol). Guess what.some people feel we wld be told to return to naija and re-enter. My slef ad my husband cld not relax well on sunday o .... Thank God Monday 18th was family holiday in Canada..so we begged our family friend to come pick us back to teh airport. it snowwed heavily tht morning but we didnot even mind..My prayers was that they shld do our landing proper for us. We located Boarder service and teh guy iniially shakara us that we will have to re-eter Canada. I almost started crying o. I started speaking all the british english i could told him nobody directed us to sign COPR..that we are not awrae of were to go next after immmigration or customs.. so that was how he directed us to anotehr of his coleague and that one now had mercy on us. Na back door (staff lobby) we take enter the COPR area o. We signed COPR, landing date was taken as that day MOnday instaed of the previous Friday. We also got our SIN. We ot back to airbnb feeling releived. made poundo with our efo riro and drank juice and slept.
Fast forward to current situation..we opened account with RBC (1 year free charges on transactions, $2000 credit card each), wrote G1and passed (hubby will get a trainer and write G next week), we got mobile phone package from Rogers (2 huawei p2 pro phones, 11 gig shared for $140). We booked appointment with settlement agencies New commer center of Peel, Access employment information session, COSTI . We attended a small church in our area and teh pastrs wife have been giving my chidren things, toys clothes, eve booster seat for my toddler (the uber drivers cld not take us witout this. Moving around with uber has been expensive but we got to do what we have to do ..its only for a while. The House hunting..chai..it has been discouraing.. the apartments have been asking for requirements (job letters, credit history) that we dont have. Even basement owners does not want to take me with babies...2 of them gave excuses of not being comfortable to put small kids in basement. We got a basement in Brampton but we no too like teh basement..we are still searching sha. Our airbnb runs out in few days and we have an option of a 3 months short rent in a furnished aprtment..its a little above our budget but i guess we will just take it .Myself and hubby are both in the IT domain so we dont want to go out of the GTA. We have started looking for jobs too..and we will keep trying out churches and networking events. Because of the children..we might have to take turns going out. However i learnt that government will bear cost of daycare for the first 12 months if I get a job or go to school. Health card will not be ready till after 3 months. That was how my baby was sick for 2 days and I had to maanage it with hot bath, robb, tynenol painkillers and prayers.. I am praying that no one gets ill again o. meanwhile the plenty winter wears have been serving us well o. even our family frinds says they are nice. We have been going to Square One mall every other day to enjoy savory meals and shop groceries in wallmart..may God help our POF..lolzz

Cannyland will favour you and your family

Please one question, you said they shared list of what to bring?
Broom and shear butter? please these are for what and please if you can share the link of where the list was listed I will be happy.

God bless you

8 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hardhewoonmee(f): 8:39am On Mar 03, 2019
congrats on your successful landing, please what cargo company did you use .yhanks
UXC007:
Congratulations... May God bless the works of your hands in cannyland

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hardhewoonmee(f): 8:47am On Mar 03, 2019
hi titi...please what cargo company did you use for your stuffs....
congrats on ur successful landing..I hope you're settlingin gradually.

thanks n have a great day

titiclassy:

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Debsify: 9:20am On Mar 03, 2019
kay2011:
so I started a travel website : http://budgetfaresnow.com/ for flights, hotels and shopping. Abeg make una help a brother.

Hi, your website is good, i'll definately use it when I need to book a flight, but try and secure your website.

8 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (73) (74) (75) (76) (77) (78) (79) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 211
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.