Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,143,304 members, 7,780,716 topics. Date: Thursday, 28 March 2024 at 08:21 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (80) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2158147 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (708) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Greatkhad: 7:23am On Mar 05, 2019
canadaman18:

Yes feel free buddy.

And honestly the feeling of some days being difficult will never go away. You'll just learn to embrace it lol so don't let that discourage you.

My expertise is back end and yeah I get your reservation towards front end. Although most times companies have a UX designer who creates the mock ups so all you have to do is follow their design and add the logic to make it work

Oh they do, thats great then. What languages do u code in? I just started python.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by DadR: 7:26am On Mar 05, 2019
Thanks for the feedback.

canadaman18:

User support from what I know is not as strict interview wise so I wouldn’t bother with Leetcode or CTCI. Best to just focus on learning a bit about the product you’ll be supporting but I’m not an expert in the area so I can’t say for certain .

If you have any kind of technical background and some certifications I don’t think it’ll be too hard getting an entry level IT job in Ontario. might take a few months of looking though

At the end of the day it depends what you’re passionate about , if you’re passionate about it you’ll be good at it and if you’re good at it and pray and trust God ,there are jobs

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 7:57am On Mar 05, 2019
Maples779:
Thanks Palominopeaches, I literally teared up when I saw Canny. Thanks for the well-wishes, I truly appreciate. May we all find what we seek in this land

Aww you're welcome dear

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Palominopeaches(f): 8:39am On Mar 05, 2019
canadaman18:
Hey folks, this advice is specifically for those in IT Field more specifically software / computer engineers ,and Full stack developers

There is a lot of demand for professionals in the aforementioned fields with extremely good salaries. It is not rare to meet an entry level grad making 80,000+ a year , infact that is what a top grad can expect in the GTA. An experienced developer can make 150K + easily. Now given the demand , are these jobs easy to get , YES and NO.

Why No?
Unlike a lot of professions (and of course no disrespect to those professions) software interviews are much more than a cultural fit or situational questions. You can expect multiple rounds of technical interviews and questions like "What is OOP" will be warm up at the most. So how do you get yourself prepared for this "exam" , the only answer is practice. It doesn't matter if you have been a developer for 10+ years, without practice you'll have forgotten a lot of the fundamental Data Structures and Algorithms which will be heavily tested for.

What then is the best way to practice :
1. ' www dot leetcode dot come ' is one I highly recommend. There are tons of questions but if you can solve one or two questions per day in easy mode and then ramping up difficulty progressively , after 2-3months you should be among the top candidates in most interviews.

2. Cracking The Coding Interview is another one . This is a comprehensive book that covers a lot of topics as well as provides tips on how to ace interviews at companies like Google, Amazon etc

I came here to share this because I know we Nigerians are smart and I personally want to see more Nigerians in top tier tech jobs but it's hard because most people wont even pass the first round relying simply on their existing experience.

Why Yes?
As I said above if you religiously go through the above material , youll find that your skills will move to a whole new level and these interviews will become very easy.

For anyone who takes interest in the materials and has questions on algorithms or implementations and so on , let me know

Source : Im a software engineer at one of the top 3 companies in the world.

Happy Coding guys !

Hello sir, I just sent you a mail. Please check. Thanks

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MissTobs: 9:42am On Mar 05, 2019
titiclassy:
LANDING GIST (LANDED 2 WEEKS AGO)

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD

In preparation for the winter I had gon to Yaba to gt some gears. was fortunate to meet a merchant that had very nice things...so i made 3 different trips to his place and ended up buying more than i planned (my luggage allowance paid for it but I am enjoying the nice wears now)
Congrats @titiclassy. Please can you share the contact of your Yaba Merchant and a rough estimate of how much he sells each item.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ottawasenators: 10:11am On Mar 05, 2019
Very detailed points here i must say.

Now for someone like myself(Techno-Functional consultant) in the ERP implementation space (SAP, oracle) , any advice that will be of help to me, considering i'm heading to ottawa. I have researched and confirmed availability of jobs in my specialty in Ottawa.

canadaman18:

Sauga is definitely a solid location for Software related jobs and youre close to Toronto so good pick smiley

Depends what your background is and what your area of interest is. Software development is pretty broad and I personally think its much better to become a master of one specific area and some knowledge of others than just knowing a bit of everything with no expertise in one(other developers will argue with me on this i'm sure).

In general there is Back End Development which usually involves very strong knowledge of C++, Python or Java.

And there is Front End development which nowadays involves knowledge of Frameworks such as Angular / React / Vue / Rails

There is also Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning but this is fairly advanced and while it doesnt hurt to pick up as a side interest, most jobs only hire very experienced AI engineers or PHD holders. (ofcourse there are exceptions)

There is also the dev ops / build tools route which usually involves a lot of scripting in Bash or PErl. I personally find this boring but some love it.

There is also the Database route although with noSQL technologies becoming more dominant and a lot of scaling and balancing all done automatically and cloud storage , this route I believe is a dying one.

Finally there is Full Stack Development which involves a bit of everything.

Note : the questions asked in interviews at top software companies and the ones youll see in the material I mentioned are usually language independent. Theyll focus more on complex problem solving using any language of your choice although most places from what I hear frown at using JavaScript

To finally answer your question I dont know any bridging programs per say but my advice is once you have an area of interest , use udemy or udacity to learn more about the tool stack for that area, and then work n a personal project which will look good on your resume and get you more comfortable with development. Do this alongside leetcode for optimal result .

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by majjj: 10:29am On Mar 05, 2019
Good day all,
Is there anyone here who can answer this question for me? So my friend got admitted into a university in Canada and is processing her student visa. To my question,her kids are in her application but they have American passports and she didn’t bother including them in her visa application. Will this be an issue for her? Seeing as they have their American passports? Will there be any issue at Nigeria’s immigration or Canada immigration? Thank you!
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ramj: 11:39am On Mar 05, 2019
majjj:
Good day all,
Is there anyone here who can answer this question for me? So my friend got admitted into a university in Canada and is processing her student visa. To my question,her kids are in her application but they have American passports and she didn’t bother including them in her visa application. Will this be an issue for her? Seeing as they have their American passports? Will there be any issue at Nigeria’s immigration or Canada immigration? Thank you!

She needs to include then in her application since she is applying for a Student visa and would be in Canada for more than a year, US Visa holders cant stay in the US indefinitely (they like all visitors can stay for up to six months). She must include then or else they can only enter for a while and leave.

Also they wont have access to any benefit she might be able to enjoy. She would pay for everything for her children

Being American does not grant you limitless access to Canada.

Je m'appelle DoTheRightThing

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by YETI28: 11:52am On Mar 05, 2019
Good morning all.. This is my first time here.. Pls I will like to know how this Canada migration works..how at the end, Canada gives you citizenship... The whole process, from submitting of docemunts to WES and all.. Thnk you very much..
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jennypharb1: 12:00pm On Mar 05, 2019
YETI28:
Good morning all.. This is my first time here.. Pls I will like to know how this Canada migration works..how at the end, Canada gives you citizenship... The whole process, from submitting of docemunts to WES and all.. Thnk you very much..

Follow the link below, you'll learn all you need

https://www.nairaland.com/5031893/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by YETI28: 12:30pm On Mar 05, 2019
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by majjj: 1:07pm On Mar 05, 2019
Ramj:

She needs to include then in her application since she is applying for a Student visa and would be in Canada for more than a year, US Visa holders cant stay in the US indefinitely (they like all visitors can stay for up to six months). She must include then or else they can only enter for a while and leave.

Also they wont have access to any benefit she might be able to enjoy. She would pay for everything for her children

Ramj:

thank you for your response. The kids are American Citizens,not USA visa holders. Does that make it better?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jmnsimone(f): 1:16pm On Mar 05, 2019
US citizens do not have the right to live/reside in Canada without a visa, they can only visit and stay for a maximum of 6 months at a stretch. Please note that during this time, the kids may not be able to go to school or access free health care and other government benefits.

If your friend's plan is for her kids to visit from time to time then they don't need to be added to her application but if she's planning to move with them, they'll need visas

majjj:

thank you for your response. The kids are American Citizens, not USA visa holders. Does that make it better?

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by majjj: 1:21pm On Mar 05, 2019
jmnsimone:
US citizens do not have the right to live/reside in Canada without a visa, they can only visit and stay for a maximum of 6 months at a stretch. Please note that during this time, the kids may not be able to go to school or access free health care and other government benefits.

If your friend's plan is for her kids to visit from time to time then they don't need to be added to her application but if she's planning to move with them, they'll need visas

I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you.
So what is the way forward now? She has already put in an application for her students visa. Does she do a separate one for her kids or can she do that when she gets to canada with them?
I appreciate your answers to my plenty questions.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 1:28pm On Mar 05, 2019
titiclassy:
LANDING GIST (LANDED 2 WEEKS AGO)

ALL THE THANKS TO GOD

Congratulations on your landing and thank you for sharing your story with us.

May the land favour you and yours.

Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Blackbuddy: 2:44pm On Mar 05, 2019
majjj:

I really appreciate all the responses. Thank you.
So what is the way forward now? She has already put in an application for her students visa. Does she do a separate one for her kids or can she do that when she gets to canada with them?
I appreciate your answers to my plenty questions.

Ask your friend to amend the current application and include her kids. Let her refill the necessary forms to capture their details and resubmit with a letter of explanation that due to her better understanding of the application process now, she wishes to include her kids who will be accompanying her for the duration of her studies. Wishing her the best.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 4:13pm On Mar 05, 2019
ottawasenators:
Very detailed points here i must say.

Now for someone like myself(Techno-Functional consultant) in the ERP implementation space (SAP, oracle) , any advice that will be of help to me, considering i'm heading to ottawa. I have researched and confirmed availability of jobs in my specialty in Ottawa.

Hi there , I dont have any specific advice per say . I know Ottawa is also a good spot for IT jobs, so just look at Glassdoor and try to apply to as many jobs as possible. Job search is most times a numbers game.

One thing I'll say is to consider the government , they typically pay a little less than private sector but you'll have lots of time off , the work is not as demanding(which for some people might be a negative) and you have unrivaled job security. Most times government jobs are not posted on job sites like Glassdoor so you might have to do some extra searching to find them

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 4:15pm On Mar 05, 2019
Greatkhad:

Oh they do, thats great then. What languages do u code in? I just started python.

Python is a good start for people from a non technical background. My only problem with it is a lot of stuff is done for you with the easy-to-use syntax so you might end up not truly understanding what's happening under the hood.

I use Java day to day atm but Ive worked with many others including Python

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 4:43pm On Mar 05, 2019
@agates please Ma I need your help. Sent you a PM.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 6:12pm On Mar 05, 2019
Please for someone going to Calgary,who/where should the FRSC letter be addressed to?.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by optionese: 6:42pm On Mar 05, 2019
Kmgb1:

Oh wow! wondered about you a couple of times,glad u are doing okay and landed FINALLY
Thanks so much
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by optionese: 6:42pm On Mar 05, 2019
vcole:
Welcome to Canada
Thanks vcole

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 6:45pm On Mar 05, 2019
gaggle:
Please for someone going to Calgary,who/where should the FRSC letter be addressed to?.
Thanks
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Aka2003: 7:28pm On Mar 05, 2019
19CannyMum:
Dear Calgarians,

Please would it be possible for me to take my knowledge test, and full Class 5 test within a month of arrival?

Plan is to take knowledge test like in the first week, then acclimatise a bit, take some classes and take the road test in like my 4th week. I'm already preparing for the knowledge test.

Only challenge is that I'm seeing requirements to register for the tests are two government issued IDs... Is there any way to have two Canadian IDs in less than a month or am I misinterpreting this requirement?

Secondly, I've read here (I think vcole mentioned) that one can drive for 90 days without Alberta Drivers Licence. My question is, during these 90 days is my Nigerian licence valid or it has to be backed by an International Drivers Licence?

Thanks in advance for your contributions.
Anything is possible. It all depends on your situation.
1. You can use the authentic Nigerian license for 90 days. You do not necessarily need to have an international driving license as the Nigerian license is in English, but I would advice that you have it as well.
2. You can take the theory test immediately and when you pass you can get the class 7. You then need to hand in your Nigerian license for checks. This is where it is tricky because during the time when the license is being checked, you will only have the class 7 learners permit. You are not allowed to drive without a fully licensed person in the car on a class 7. I believe it takes a couple of weeks to verify the Nigerian drivers license but I may be wrong. Read this: https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/drivers-licence-gdl-exemption.pdf
3. When the Nigeria license is approved you can then take the class 5 basic or class 5 advanced. Note that this depends entirely on the driving record that is transferred from Nigeria. If you have more than 2 years of Nigerian driving experience then you can take the class 5 advanced. When you pass the road test then you get a class 5 license.

I am not sure this process can be finished in a month ( because of the time for verifying the Nigerian license). Also note that you cannot drive legally once you hand in the license for verification, so please plan for a period where you will have only a class 7.

Hope this helps. Note that I am not an expert in this field. Try and do some more research. You can start here https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx

17 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by czaratwork: 1:38am On Mar 06, 2019
Treasure1611:
Hello My people good day, I would really love to hear from anyone living in New Brunswick. The choice of province to settle is a tough one. We are considering Job opportunities vs Cost of living.
We are wondering if New Brunswick is a good idea for a new immigrant to land and if there are also huge job market for people in finance/banking. Although I'm aware that Ontario is the financial hub of Canada, but worried about the cost of living there.

Will appreciate inputs please, its been a tustle of the mind and we hope to land soon.

Thank you so much.

TD bank is currently recruiting for their finance hub in Monckton. Visit their site. That is if they are still recruiting. It's been on for a while.

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 1:48am On Mar 06, 2019
gaggle:
Thanks

Please anyone with a response will be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:12am On Mar 06, 2019
canadaman18:

Python is a good start for people from a non technical background. My only problem with it is a lot of stuff is done for you with the easy-to-use syntax so you might end up not truly understanding what's happening under the hood.

I use Java day to day atm but Ive worked with many others including Python
You are right, but python is the language of the future altho you might not be a good programmer if you learn to programme with Python.
What I have done is to switch totally to Python with my data science and AI projects but I run my Data Structures and algorithm course with JAVA.

That way I am not loosing out on the nitty gritty behind the hood.

Take for example there is a pop method in Python, something that you have to code a stack to get in JAVA.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by canadaman18: 2:50am On Mar 06, 2019
Guitarlife:

You are right, but python is the language of the future altho you might not be a good programmer if you learn to programme with Python.
What I have done is to switch totally to Python with my data science and AI projects but I run my Data Structures and algorithm course with JAVA.

That way I am not loosing out on the nitty gritty behind the hood.

Take for example there is a pop method in Python, something that you have to code a stack to get in JAVA.

Python is a language for the future for sure and very nice with Data science . I personally have used both but was just saying it’s nice to learn with Java

Also i’m not sure if I understand what you mean by coding the stack? Java has a stack class which has the pop method. Unless you are simply saying that in python no extra work is required to instantiate a stack unlike Java

Apologies if i misunderstood you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 2:57am On Mar 06, 2019
canadaman18:

Python is a language for the future for sure and very nice with Data science . I personally have used both but was just saying it’s nice to learn with Java

Also i’m not sure if I understand what you mean by coding the stack? Java has a stack class which has the pop method. Unless you are simply saying that in python no extra work is required to instantiate a stack unlike Java

Apologies if i misunderstood you

@bolded Yup thats what I meant. Its just so difficult to assume that JAVA will go out anytime soon.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MacShiff: 6:06am On Mar 06, 2019
gaggle:

Please anyone with a response will be highly appreciated. Thanks.

You can use

DRIVERS LICENCING
ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION
CANADA

cc: Salford

1 Like 3 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by gaggle: 6:07am On Mar 06, 2019
MacShiff:

You can use

DRIVERS LICENCING
ALBERTA TRANSPORTATION
CANADA

cc: Salford

Thank You.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:05am On Mar 06, 2019
Aka2003:

Anything is possible. It all depends on your situation.
1. You can use the authentic Nigerian license for 90 days. You do not necessarily need to have an international driving license as the Nigerian license is in English, but I would advice that you have it as well.
2. You can take the theory test immediately and when you pass you can get the class 7. You then need to hand in your Nigerian license for checks. This is where it is tricky because during the time when the license is being checked, you will only have the class 7 learners permit. You are not allowed to drive without a fully licensed person in the car on a class 7. I believe it takes a couple of weeks to verify the Nigerian drivers license but I may be wrong. Read this: https://www.alberta.ca/assets/documents/drivers-licence-gdl-exemption.pdf
3. When the Nigeria license is approved you can then take the class 5 basic or class 5 advanced. Note that this depends entirely on the driving record that is transferred from Nigeria. If you have more than 2 years of Nigerian driving experience then you can take the class 5 advanced. When you pass the road test then you get a class 5 license.

I am not sure this process can be finished in a month ( because of the time for verifying the Nigerian license). Also note that you cannot drive legally once you hand in the license for verification, so please plan for a period where you will have only a class 7.

Hope this helps. Note that I am not an expert in this field. Try and do some more research. You can start here https://www.alberta.ca/exchange-non-alberta-licences.aspx

Thank you very much. Very clear explanation. So the gist I'm getting is that during that period I'm on class 7, I can use my international drivers permit to drive unaccompanied.

However I saw on Albertas website that one has to submit ALL prior licences including the international permit. Will do some more research today.

2 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (77) (78) (79) (80) (81) (82) (83) ... (708) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.