Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,471 members, 7,808,692 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:29 PM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (97) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2182352 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by rainazoe: 9:18am On Mar 28, 2019
Ontario health insurance commences 3months after you take up residence in the province. For me, I was going to be in Ont for about 3 months so I bought travel insurance from Naija(AxA Mansard) to cover me from any form of emergency including medical.

If you are relocating permanently it will also be good to buy coverage for the period where OHIP won't cover and after that OHIP kicks in if you have registered. You do not have to wait till the end of 3months to go and register for OHIP. Once you have your applying documents, go ahead and apply. You will be given a letter with the date coverage will commence.

I don't know how you will do it with a one way ticket as you have to put in the start date and end date of your journey on Axa's but I am sure you can work something out with the insurer when you call their help line.

I bought the family plan which was way cheaper compared to other insurance companies.

jjohndoe83:

Please enlighten me, will insurance purchased here in Nigeria cover me when I move to Canada, to a place like Ontario for instance?

15 Likes 14 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by lobell: 9:29am On Mar 28, 2019
Ifeoma77:

Thanks kiss kiss

Na tenks we go chop? Where's the parry@? joor.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Pegzzyg(f): 9:37am On Mar 28, 2019
Happy Birthday to YOU my Co-Birthday Celebrant! Its our Year of Marching forward Dear
Ifeoma77:

grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 9:44am On Mar 28, 2019
West Edmonton mall

18 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 10:09am On Mar 28, 2019
Pegzzyg:
Happy Birthday to YOU my Co-Birthday Celebrant! Its our Year of Marching forward Dear
Awwwww happy birthday to you!!!! It's our year of marching forward indeed!!
kiss kiss kiss

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 10:10am On Mar 28, 2019
lobell:

Na tenks we go chop? Where's the parry@? joor.
Heheheheheheehe don't worry, the time and venue will be communicated tongue

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ugosample(m): 10:46am On Mar 28, 2019
Why do most Nigerians prefer to move to Ontario tho
why not other provinces?
Like Alberta or even Manitoba?

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 11:42am On Mar 28, 2019
Ugosample:
Why do most Nigerians prefer to move to Ontario tho

why not other provinces?

Like Alberta or even Manitoba?
. Jobs

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ugosample(m): 11:48am On Mar 28, 2019
hayor2014:
. Jobs
So no jobs in Alberta or Manitoba?

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 11:59am On Mar 28, 2019
Ugosample:

So no jobs in Alberta or Manitoba?
Ontario is like Lagos with head offices of companies and has 14.3 million people now, Manitoba like Osun with 1.3 million people...I don't know where to place Alberta that has about 4.3 million people ... But way better than Manitoba job wise..... All beautiful cities though.... Alberta should be like P.H... Economy booms when oil prices and market is good... But now that the oil market is under.... Things are a bit slow.... You'll get a job eventually wherever you go.... But you might start small before you get what you really want

29 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by AdetonaDami(m): 12:10pm On Mar 28, 2019
Ifeoma77:

Awwwww happy birthday to you!!!! It's our year of marching forward indeed!!
kiss kiss kiss

Happy birthday to a rare gem

Pls tell me where the party @ cos I have small gift before you leave for Canada.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by ojsamuel(m): 1:07pm On Mar 28, 2019
wizean:
LANDING GIST

‘Darling, which night do you remember as being the most tensed night for you in the past couple of years?’. ‘Tonight’, she responded. I smiled as she had barely spoken my mind. It was the night before the day our lives would change forever.

The previous day, I suddenly realized our names were not written correctly on our tickets. We called Jumia asap, sent mails and nothing was forthcoming. Village people at work. My chest was doing gbimgbim. I rushed to the airport, Egypt air office and asked for help. I was told my agent had to make a note on the ticket. Agent Kwa, I said it was Jumia, they wondered why we had to book on JUMIA.

The next morning, I put off the alarm right before it rang. No, my natural clock did not wake me up…, I did not sleep. Man was thinking on the 30-hours flight to the promise land. We were prepared by 6.am. FIL came to pick us up at 7.30 am, flight was for 3:05 pm. Did you say ahn ahn, na so na, to avoid stories that touch ni, having experienced a 3hours traffic delay to the cargo company the weekend before departure. True to it, there was traffic as envisaged but FIL mental GPS pass google own, the man sabi road mehn. Moreso we had to make some stops to pick up our items, bid goodbyes and I had to visit the barbers shop. Man had to look sweet for the journey besides I had to barb ‘skin’ so that before the hair grows, I would be able to visit the barber without calculating how much a CAD is to NGN. I also had to settle the ticket name issue as JUMIA was yet to correct it.
Yas! Sweet landing gist. You no fall my hand. grin Congrats bro and all the very best. See you soon wink

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MissTobs: 1:42pm On Mar 28, 2019
Why does everyone say not to land with ponmo? Can I? Is it considered 'meat'??
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ugosample(m): 2:57pm On Mar 28, 2019
hayor2014:
Ontario is like Lagos with head offices of companies and has 14.3 million people now, Manitoba like Osun with 1.3 million people...I don't know where to place Alberta that has about 4.3 million people ... But way better than Manitoba job wise..... All beautiful cities though.... Alberta should be like P.H... Economy booms when oil prices and market is good... But now that the oil market is under.... Things are a bit slow.... You'll get a job eventually wherever you go.... But you might start small before you get what you really want

hmmm

I see

I like your analogy tho

how you put it

you must be a very imaginative person

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 2:58pm On Mar 28, 2019
hayor2014:
apt.
In addition, people tend to also move to where they have initial support for the first few weeks of arrival. Alot of Nigerians in Toronto, ON and Calgary, AB to an extent, so lots of Nigerians move to those cities.
E.g When the oil wahala started in Calgary, a lot of non Calgarian Canadians just there for work moved out especially those from the east coast. However, the population seems unchanged or increasing due to replacement by new immigrants, lots from Nigeria too.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iaatmguy(m): 4:35pm On Mar 28, 2019
salford:

apt.
In addition, people tend to also move to where they have initial support for the first few weeks of arrival. Alot of Nigerians in Toronto, ON and Calgary, AB to an extent, so lots of Nigerians move to those cities.
E.g When the oil wahala started in Calgary, a lot of non Calgarian Canadians just there for work moved out especially those from the east coast. However, the population seems unchanged or increasing due to replacement by new immigrants, lots from Nigeria too.
please, i sent you a mail
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 4:54pm On Mar 28, 2019
iaatmguy:
please, i sent you a mail
Okay. I would check and get back to you.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 7:12pm On Mar 28, 2019
olajide21:
Everyone waiting for snow to melt before landing, happy to let you'all know that the snow is all gone!!!!!!!!!.... Canada is waiting for una. Better to come start early and get it over in good time.

Which snow is melting...? Here in Ottawa... I hear we've 3 winters...

6 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 7:19pm On Mar 28, 2019
ottawasenators:
You know sometimes when reality sets in, a lot of people just suddenly realize it aint just easy to close shop and relocate almost immediately grin

1,000,000 likes...

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Jumdah20: 7:48pm On Mar 28, 2019
Such yummy landing gist. Had me laughing grin, we too, we go shakushaku follow you. May the land favour you.

quote author=wizean post=77042247][color=#990000] LANDING GIST

[i]‘Darling, which night do you remember as being the most tensed night for you in the past couple of years?’. ‘][/quote]

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 9:11pm On Mar 28, 2019
AdetonaDami:

Happy birthday to a rare gem
Pls tell me where the party @ cos I have small gift before you leave for Canada.
Thank you dear, kiss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by MacShiff: 9:29pm On Mar 28, 2019
Hello everyone, I landed in Edmonton on Sunday. Is there any WhatsApp group? Kindly add me.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 9:36pm On Mar 28, 2019
Good Canny family, pls can someone work me through Biometrics centers in Lagos or how do I go about it pls
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 10:11pm On Mar 28, 2019
Three weeks and 37 dollars :10 cents later....I finally have my Calgary Transit pass...make interview start to show face.. tongue tongue tongue

14 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:54pm On Mar 28, 2019
Blackbuddy:

Hi, you are allowed to bring pets into Canada/

Thanks sir

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jendy36(m): 11:49pm On Mar 28, 2019
Greetings everyone.

For someone applying for a visitor Visa in Canada for a startup conference in order to pitch a startup product, How much is expected to be in the persons statement of account?

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by iPopAlomo(m): 12:01am On Mar 29, 2019
hayor2014:
Three weeks and 37 dollars :10 cents later....I finally have my Calgary Transit pass...make interview start to show face.. tongue tongue tongue

Got my Presto after 4 days... I was this excited too...

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 12:18am On Mar 29, 2019
iPopAlomo:

Got my Presto after 4 days... I was this excited too...
this one is not excitement oooo, it's relief, the Uber and 3.40 I spend every 90 minutes is not small...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by evanehman: 12:26am On Mar 29, 2019
rainazoe:
Ontario health insurance commences 3months after you take up residence in the province. For me, I was going to be in Ont for about 3 months so I bought travel insurance from Naija(AxA Mansard) to cover me from any form of emergency including medical.

If you are relocating permanently it will also be good to buy coverage for the period where OHIP won't cover and after that OHIP kicks in if you have registered. You do not have to wait till the end of 3months to go and register for OHIP. Once you have your applying documents, go ahead and apply. You will be given a letter with the date coverage will commence.

I don't know how you will do it with a one way ticket as you have to put in the start date and end date of your journey on Axa's but I am sure you can work something out with the insurer when you call their help line.

I bought the family plan which was way cheaper compared to other insurance companies.

Please how do you settle or cover the emergency cost, you just present your insurance policy at the hospital or how or you pay and later reclaim money back from the AXA Mansard insurance,am just insterested ,how it works ??

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 7:08am On Mar 29, 2019
Good Canny family, pls can someone work me through Biometrics centers in Lagos or how do I go about it pls

Pls I need answers to this as I have to fix this part ASAP
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 8:34am On Mar 29, 2019
Ask here: https://www.nairaland.com/5031893/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

Folafikemi:

Pls I need answers to this as I have to fix this part ASAP

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Nobody: 10:34am On Mar 29, 2019

(1) (2) (3) ... (94) (95) (96) (97) (98) (99) (100) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.