Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,684 members, 7,801,967 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 07:10 AM

Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 - Travel (100) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 (2177505 Views)

Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 3) / Living In The USA - Life Of An Immigrant Part 1 / Living In The Uk-life Of An Immigrant (part 2) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (712) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by evanehman: 6:51pm On Mar 31, 2019
GEJDHERO:
What if the passport is Genuine?

Solomon island citizen can only visit canada as tourist and cannot work or study as a tourist,it 1000% impossible

Let not derail the forum it about living in canada..i wish you good luck and be very careful of fraudsters ..bye

10 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GEJDHERO: 7:00pm On Mar 31, 2019
evanehman:

Solomon island citizen can only visit canada as tourist and cannot work or study as a tourist,it 1000% impossible

Let not derail the forum it about living in canada..i wish you good luck and be very careful of fraudsters ..bye
Thanks for the info.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Richness1104: 7:10pm On Mar 31, 2019
4 bags, a baby and a madam, we entered MMIA by 11:30 am. Our boxes were slightly overweight, but the lady checked them in. Proceeded to collection of boarding pass. The ticket issue was resolved right at the desk, the officer was able to make a note on it in case of subsequent questioning. That was done in good time too and we had to go off to departures. It was an emotional one for my FIL and wife, made me realize much more that this step had to be worth it.

FIL left and we proceeded into the departure hall, one or two conversations with the customs officers and that was it. No direct request for ‘shai shai’. It was coded in their exceptional attention and services, so we were not obliged to. We just did at our own discretion.
We departed at about 3:40pm. The 5 hours flight was good. We were served about 30 minutes into our journey. Brethren, the hunger that was wiring us had doctorate degree. We were prepared to eat the worst. When the meal finally came it was redemption song for us! Amen! We ate everything, even the one that was supposed to be dessert follow join. We kuku get Flagyl for hand. I asked for cereal for baby, although we had packed in the diaper bag. The hostess was not forthcoming, so I asked for another meal so the mother would eat for two. Lol. We were given bassinet for the baby, I guess it was because we had picked the bulkhead seats for that flight when we checked in on line. She didn’t stay in it though. By the time the second meal came, we now started forming posh as hunger no dey matter again. There was a central in-flight entertainment that we weren’t interested in.

We landed in Cairo, and had a stopover of two hours. The flight to Toronto was cool too. No bassinet. Good meals. We had eaten twice before they woke us up again for breakfast. I had to ask wetin we con dey chop since? In- flight entertainment was okay. Wifey watched different movies, while I was stuck on the satellite movement of the plane. 12 hours later, we landed in YYC baibeeeee!!! I stylishly shaku-shakued into the airport. Sincerely, this place is not overrated, the people are cool, friendly, exceptionally good to babies. We were asked basic questions at the point of entry including how much we were coming with and if we had goods to follow. We proceeded to immigration to stamp our COPR and process our PR card. The guy that attended to us was awesome. We waited for few minutes and we were advised on when we will get our PR cards. Then he said, ‘Welcome to Canada’. The handout they gave us to read ehn, no be here. The books contain information that would be needed. We proceeded to get our SIN and it was smooth too.

Our connecting flight to Alberta was in 4hrs, so we ate and roamed the airport. We boarded our Air Canada flight and it was okay. Meals were served at different prices except water which was free. There was in-flight entertainment. We landed about 2:30pm Calgary time. I walked out of the airport to get a taxi, I had to do a reverse (Micheal Jackson's moonwalk style) back in immediately. The cold that touched my skull ehn. Got Uber to take us to our Airbnb apartment. Eyes closed, we didn’t wake up until midnight same day.

So far, we have registered for health services, gotten our phone lines, opened bank accounts, been to the settlement agency, accommodation is almost sorted. Our cargo also arrived in one week from cargo date. So the ministry of Poundo and Egusi elemi meje continues although wifey has said we should be eating posh food. Lessons learnt so far; Its everybody’s country, do not be intimidated. Be kind and ask questions politely. Reading did not stop at IELTS, this is just the beginning. Read everything, receipts, contracts, coupons, laws, agreements e.t.c so you don’t enter one chance. Having a car is a necessity, the expanse of land is crazy, the country is freaking big. For those who have friends helping them around, give those friends a tight hug cos they are saving you alot. Uber fare is crazy. Grocery shopping is not so bad except for those that buy names. You only have to check and recheck for discounts and offers. Know why you are here, don’t do follow follow. In all, I am certain it’s gonna be a good place. Besides my phonetics is changing small small o, I can’t help it. *winks* All the best guys.
[/color][/quote]my friend ,my friend. No goodbyes? Anyways, just keep praying for me because I am joining you soon

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by GEJDHERO: 7:11pm On Mar 31, 2019
evanehman:

Please can u give me a total amount it would cost to immigrate as a skilled Personel.Rough estimate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by jelmusboy(m): 7:16pm On Mar 31, 2019
All you need can be found on page 1 of this thread

GEJDHERO:
Please can u give me a total amount it would cost to immigrate as a skilled Personel.Rough estimate
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by philip3(m): 7:29pm On Mar 31, 2019
jelmusboy:
My people my people, how una dey?

I want to invite my mother-in-law via visit visa and I need some clarification.

1. Can I be the invitee instead of my spouse?
2. If yes, does she (mother-in-law) need to show evidence of finance (statement of account) or I can use mine to support her application? Also let me know the amount value
3. If no, does my spouse need to be working to make a successful application for her mum?

I am mostly worried about who to be the invitee and financial status.

Thanks

We just sent an invite letter jointly that is my wife and I both signed and got it notorized.
The daughter in nigeria sponsored her so she showed her own bank details.

I think to sponsor you should have filed taxes,not sure but you may want to find out from the cic website cos there is a checklist of documents needed based on your own situation.

4 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 7:51pm On Mar 31, 2019
19CannyMum:

Please how did you get your fair entry?

I went through CCIS, they will assign you an employment and social councillor, and the social councillor will then initiate the fair entry process for you..Google CCIS Calgary, call the number you find online and book an appointment.

10 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 19CannyMum: 8:54pm On Mar 31, 2019
hayor2014:

I went through CCIS, they will assign you an employment and social councillor, and the social councillor will then initiate the fair entry process for you..Google CCIS Calgary, call the number you find online and book an appointment.

Thank you.

2 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by buchito1(m): 11:20pm On Mar 31, 2019
IykeD:

Your pictures are "clean" bro.
Abeg leave am like that.. We go manage am..

At least make we wey never enter dey dream embarassed embarassed
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by WoodcrestMayor(m): 12:39am On Apr 01, 2019
I full ground my chairman. That smoking thing ehn...I still dey find way to avoid passive smoking. I bin no get money for Snoop ticket jare grin
Na to open akant dey save $20-30 per paycheck to fund these shows o! cheesy

Wizzy is this friday sha cool
Fusion23:

lool was up..you live in Edmonton..was also at the snoop dogg concert at rodgers place...same thing..few blacks ..lots of smoking and vaping....me i dont even smoke so wasnt worried.......made sense die..snoop dogg, bone thugs n harmony.. great performance
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 2:03am On Apr 01, 2019
Welcome to "Village" Square Recreational centre. Indoor pool dey, Ice Hockey dey, Basketball dey, Gym dey, Library dey, lounges dey and plenty other things.

Make IRCC do give everyone visa. Canada is large and would fit us all.!

Las las we would all be alright bi'ithnillah!

50 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by olajide21: 2:04am On Apr 01, 2019
Recreation centre

20 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 2:10am On Apr 01, 2019
People coming to Calgary.....

1) DO NOT book an AIRBNB in the NW ....it's the end of the world... In my opinion

2) Ensure to write your address in your pocket, should your phone die, that paper can save your life, especially during winter/cold.

3) Before leaving home during winter, charge your phone properly, the cold drains battery.

3) Uber fees are crazy here, please learn and perfect the use of Google map from Naija.... You will need the CALGARY TRANSIT APP.....

4) DON use the Calgary Transit app with small kids when you never Sabi use am oooo, if you lost, do it on your own, don't torture the little kids..nah you come Sabi

5) A Nigerian needs to come open a barbershop in this Calgary... Around downtown oooo.... Don't carry us to the bush....

67 Likes 42 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by dasizzling: 6:33am On Apr 01, 2019
thanks for the info Nadina. please is this a yearly fee or monthly?

nadina:

I live in the SW.
In the year we landed I was entitled to the maximum child care subsidy  pay out because we hadn't filed our taxes, so I  paid 437 each for my 2 kids aged 6 and 4 and 377 for my son, the balance was paid by Alberta Works. By the time we filed our taxes the following year, we weren't eligible for subsidy anymore because my family income was above the threshold to receive child care subsidy.

Currently, I pay 500 for my child in Grade 1, 720 for my child in pre-kindergarten and 830 for my son who hasn't started school.

You might find cheaper options, but I chose this particular day home and lady for several reasons. There are both approved and non-approved day homes in every quadrant of the City. The difference is, with the approved day homes, you could be eligible for child care subsidy depending on your family income.

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 10:49am On Apr 01, 2019
@GEJDHERO and @evanehman, the proper thread for immigration discussions is here: https://www.nairaland.com/5031893/canadian-express-entry-federal-skilled

4 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:04pm On Apr 01, 2019
wizean:
LANDING GIST

Congrats on your arrival. May you enjoy this place

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:13pm On Apr 01, 2019
Majesticniyi:
LANDING GIST- very short read!!!

grin

Congrats on your landing, may this land favour you
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Randomsue: 12:20pm On Apr 01, 2019
Landing gist...LONG POST ALERT

We had the most terrifyingly long trip I've ever read about but I'm glad for journey mercies...family of 4 (with a toddler and a 5yo) via Ethiopian air

We left on Thursday, March 28 and MMA guys were a breeze, we were asked to tip at the entrance and also pay for 2k for each bag with agricultural products, but no biggie, thanks to info from here.

We were however lucky that our bags all weighed between 22 and 23kg and we were even allowed to make use of the last 3kg cumulative weight deficit..props to one cheap luggage scale we got on Jumia.

Trip to Addis was awesome, though the plane was almost at capacity, it was a smooth ride and ochara plane. Addis to Dublin and all the waka required to change terminals is the part that got me. As advised here several times, pls aim to travel as light as possible..the waka between airport terminals is real. No one asked us how much we were carrying in Ethiopia but I had to show the funds during body search , which was just to confirm I wasn't carrying anything illegal.

Got to Toronto about 39 mins behind schedule on Friday, March 29 and this is where the drama of our lives began but we didn't know it at the time!

Immigration went very well, we went straight there after getting off the plane before baggage claim. We were asked basic questions like how much we brought but nothing was checked and got our CoPR stamped. Since we got our PPR in July ( I see the side eyes), I was afraid we might need new passport photos, but the lady said it wasn't necessary...let's see how that goes sha!

We attempted getting our SIN done at the airport at first but decided against it when we saw we had barely an hour and half to our connecting flight. We went to baggage claim, hired a big trolley and got assistance cos we had plenty load (paid 20 CAD for trolley and paid the guy that pushed it another 20). The customs guy just took his jolly time and even gave me the proper goods to follow form to fill since I didn't remember to get it done ahead. He stamped and told me to bring it anytime I import and want to pick up the items listed.

We then checked in our bags on the connecting flight...no weighing was done sha. The big mistake we made was that we now chilled at the wrong gate waiting for announcement for our flight, not knowing we were already running late.

Summary...we missed our flight and couldn't get rescheduled on another flight cos of this Boeing issue that has grounded the 737 max. They had grounded like 35 Air Canada planes, so getting rescheduled is now hell. Please take note to either leave a minimum of 5hrs BTW connecting flights or plan ahead incase you miss your flight...this may mean packing ahead for it ( I'll explain)

The ET rep told us the earliest flight we could get was on Tuesday...a whole 4 days away ��‍♀! I just started crying like a baby from exhaustion mostly.

Luckily, we got another deal to head out the next morning but the flight was routed through Vancouver to Winnipeg and there was a 7hrs layover at Vancouver... Yup you read right, 7 DARN HOURS!!! That's how 30 hours was added to our already exhausting journey! The good thing was that ET lodged us in a hotel and gave us free food vouchers ( I've come to learn they didn't do us any big favour but coming from naija, this was a big deal to me)

After all the drama and intrigues, I'm glad we landed safely, got another free voucher for airplane food, got to check in 2 of our big hand luggages for free from Toronto to Winnipeg straight, got to see the beautiful scenery flying over Vancouver and BC as a whole..snow peaked mountains and all. We got to Winnipeg at about 12 midnight March 30th, and we had family waiting for us...this was a relief!

My take always are:

1. Pack light or efficient (boxes with trolleys perhaps) and explore cargo-ing if you can

2. Pack food for the flight, ET food was mostly bleh, and my 5yo survived on bread and cornflakes I had packed

3. Stay focused when you get to Toronto or wherever your first point of landing is to avoid missing connecting flight. Better still, try locating the gate for the next flight as quickly as possible

4. Because we cannot fully plan for everything, try packing a change of clothes in your hand luggage just incase

5. Empty all liquids before connecting flight from Toronto, this one added to our delay seriously. The last boarding call was going on while they were binning my children's Milo ready to drink at the scanner point thingy � ��

6. Luggage scale, saving your naira since 19xx immigration travel waka - tip is to weigh the bags whilst standing on a higher platform than the bag ( I stood on a stool)

7. Change some naira to CAD if you can, you might need it to purchase things at the airport if you find yourself in a situation similar to what we went through

92 Likes 21 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 12:35pm On Apr 01, 2019
The bolded is great advise

hayor2014:

1) DO NOT book an AIRBNB in the NW ....it's the end of the world... In my opinion

2) Ensure to write your address in your pocket, should your phone die, that paper can save your life, especially during winter/cold.

3) Before leaving home during winter, charge your phone properly, the cold drains battery.

3) Uber fees are crazy here, please learn and perfect the use of Google map from Naija.... You will need the CALGARY TRANSIT APP.....

4) DON use the Calgary Transit app with small kids when you never Sabi use am oooo, if you lost, do it on your own, don't torture the little kids..nah you come Sabi

5) A Nigerian needs to come open a barbershop in this Calgary... Around downtown oooo.... Don't carry us to the bush....

5 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by wizean(m): 12:46pm On Apr 01, 2019
Welcome to maple land

Randomsue:

We had the most terrifyingly long trip I've ever read about but I'm glad for journey mercies...family of 4 (with a toddler and a 5yo) via Ethiopian air

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Licious07(f): 2:28pm On Apr 01, 2019
[quote author=Randomsue post=77169754]Landing gist...LONG POST ALERT

Thank God for journey mercies. I can imagine how tired and disappointed you felt when you bursted into tears. May you find favour in Canny.
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by CanadianNaija: 2:37pm On Apr 01, 2019
olajide21:
Recreation centre

Thank you for the pictures. It helps people like me being delayed by Accra, to be able to still feel any excitement about this journey.

7 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by captainhoo: 3:45pm On Apr 01, 2019
Randomsue:

6. Luggage scale, saving your naira since 19xx immigration travel waka - tip is to weigh the bags whilst standing on a higher platform than the bag ( I stood on a stool)

7. Change some naira to CAD if you can, you might need it to purchase things at the airport if you find yourself in a situation similar to what we went through

Congratulations!!

Can you share the name/picture of the scale you got from jumia please,
Did you change your naira to CAD at MMA or BDC?
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by joo2018: 5:27pm On Apr 01, 2019
Canadian Slang Vs Nigerian Slang | Couple Challenge

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyufCT164bw&index=197&list=WL&t=0s

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Ifeoma77(f): 6:01pm On Apr 01, 2019
Wow @Randomsue, that was a hell of a journey!!
Welcome home kiss
Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by hayor2014(m): 6:53pm On Apr 01, 2019
nadina:

I live in the SW.
In the year we landed I was entitled to the maximum child care subsidy  pay out because we hadn't filed our taxes, so I 

Can I please have the name, address and phone number of the day home... wifey and I are both starting work in 2 weeks time...it's kinda urgent please

3 Likes

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by fizzile(m): 7:14pm On Apr 01, 2019
Randomsue:

We left on Thursday, March 28 and MMA guys were a breeze, we were asked to tip at the entrance and also pay for 2k for each bag with agricultural products, but no biggie, thanks to info from here.
Please can you share the info. Thanks alot

1 Like

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by salford: 7:34pm On Apr 01, 2019
hayor2014:

You are right that this is subjective. Anywhere in Calgary could be end of the world depending on where you are coming from and where you are going to.

Newer communities would usually be far from the centre since the city is expanding out in all 4 quadrants. e.g I lived in Aspen Woods SW and sometimes drop off my kids at Silverado SW. Oh boi that was far despite both town being in the same quadrant.

Going from Cranston SE to downtown or going from Evanston NW to downtown would probably be around the same lenght. They both end of the world. Best would be to avoid AnB situated on the fringes of the city irrespective of the quadrant.

8 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by 4Barr: 8:05pm On Apr 01, 2019
hayor2014:

try Sids Hair Studio its around downtown close to Sunalta on 12th Avenue. They are ethiopians and the are very good with clippers. lol

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2 by Godisincontrol: 8:24pm On Apr 01, 2019
captainhoo:

Did you change your naira to CAD at MMA or BDC?

If possible,get from BDC/Aboki/Exchange guys as their rates are usually lower than what you would find at the airport. Check abokifx for the prevailing rate on the day of purchase so you know how to bargain.

8 Likes 8 Shares

(1) (2) (3) ... (97) (98) (99) (100) (101) (102) (103) ... (712) (Reply)

Canada Visit/tourist Visa Discussion. / Canadian Express Entry/federal Skilled Workers Program Connect Here

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.