Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,515 members, 7,808,878 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 06:30 PM

Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? (265 Views)

"Once Saved, Forever Saved": Wrong And Unscriptural! / Daddy Freeze Is A Liar, Tithing Is Very Scriptural And Was Approved By Jesus / 21 Reasons Why “praying For Your Enemies To Die” Is Unscriptural (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? by Uduakuduakobong(m): 8:45pm On Jan 01, 2019
Happy New Year world!

The year is so fresh and everyone has a big dream, a plan and resolutions for the new year.

Money is something that keeps most thing alive and fresh. As it is written, '...money answereth all things'.

Jobs are not paying well in Nigeria(that's when you have one) and people resort to many way of making and getting this money, without killings, rituals, extortion, etc.

Betting in today's world have to a great extent brought answers to the wishes, even prayers of many. Lifes have been changed genuinely after wins from bets.

The question is this; Is betting really sinful? Answers shouldn't be given based on what many think is morally right or wrong. Give me scriptures.

Another one is this; cant one be blessed from betting? Why this question? People I know prayed after booking some bets and later won, testifying.

Like I said, scriptural references correctly directed towards this issue is needed and without any concrete and direct one, I may say, it isn't sinful, but its taken by individuals, especially the highly 'spirikokos' as simply morally wrong, which I feel is baseless.
Happy new year once again!!!
Re: Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? by Righteousness89(m): 8:51pm On Jan 01, 2019
Unscriptural
Re: Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? by Uduakuduakobong(m): 9:41pm On Jan 01, 2019
MONEY247:
I am really need of money. I don't even have up to 200 naira on me . I am really tired here.
Friend, be encouraged! The year is pregnant for u.
Re: Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? by viyon02: 10:00pm On Jan 01, 2019
Unscriptural PERIOD
Re: Betting- Scriptural Or Unscriptural? by Nobody: 1:14am On Jan 02, 2019
The word gamble means to risk something of value on an outcome that depends on chance. Because the outcome of a lottery depends on chance and playing it involves risk, then, by definition, playing the lottery is gambling including betting.
The main purpose of playing the lottery is to win money, and the Bible tells us what our attitude toward money should be. So often, riches get in the way of a man’s spiritual benefit (Mark 4:19; 10:25). Jesus teaches, “No one can serve two masters. Either you will hate the one and love the other, or you will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and money” (Luke 16:13). First Timothy 6:10 is where we find the famous warning that the love of money is the root of all kinds of evil.
Playing the lottery as a get-rich-quick scheme is statistically futile, and it focuses the lottery player on the temporary riches of this world ( Proverbs 23:5). The fact is, God wants people to earn their money honestly by working hard: “The one who is unwilling to work shall not eat” (2 Thessalonians 3:10). We ought to gain wealth through diligence, as a gift from the Lord: “Lazy hands make for poverty, but diligent hands bring wealth” (Proverbs 10:4).
Gamblers, including players of the lottery, typically covet money and the things that money can buy. God forbids covetousness: “You shall not covet your neighbor’s house. You shall not covet your neighbor’s wife, or his male or female servant, his ox or donkey, or anything that belongs to your neighbor” (Exodus 20:17; 1 Timothy 6:10). One of the world’s lies is that money is the answer to life’s problems. People are lured into playing the lottery with promises that their lives will improve if they can only hit the jackpot. If they can just get lucky with the numbers, their problems will disappear. Such hopes are empty (Ecclesiastes 5:10–15).
So, we would do well to be cautious about playing the lottery. There are many better uses for the money spent on a ticket, and we must guard our hearts against covetousness and our lives against addictions to gaming. Betting makes one to be addicted hence you become more concern for money not God. You love money to point that you forget about your creator. Don't be deceived about moderation because when you get into it, it might be difficult to opt out. Hence it is advisable to stay clear. Have this to meditate that you brought nothing to this world and you would go without anything. So what will it profit you to stress yourself over betting at the expense of your soul. Isn't better you forfeit it to redeem your soul than fight for it and still loose your soul?

(1) (Reply)

God's Sons And The Greater Glory Revealed In 2019 / Jesus' Pattern Of Prayer / A Follower Of What Is Good

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.