Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,377 members, 7,808,336 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:27 AM

I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! (1812 Views)

Please When Is The Best Time Of The Year To Go Into Farming / I Want To Go Into Farming Biz This Year / Please I Need Your Advice Before Venturing Into Farming (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by ernie4life(m): 11:36am On Jan 02, 2019
I recently acquired 3 plots of land at the outskirt of Ph,
am currently working but would like to use the 3 plots for commercial farming,
i will appreciate recommendation from experts in the house on what type of farming i can engage in that will be profitable and wont need me all the time.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by bilag17(m): 2:36pm On Jan 02, 2019
ernie4life:
i will appreciate recommendation from experts in the house on what type of farming i can engage in that will be profitable and wont need me all the time.

My good friend, there's no profitable business you want to do, that will not need your presence most of the time, most especially at startup. The demand for your time in agriculture is even more.

Carefully, think deep to actually confirm your interest in farming, and be ready to contend with pilfering when you're not available most of the time.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by ernie4life(m): 3:31pm On Jan 02, 2019
[quote author=bilag17 post=74381767]

My good friend, there's no profitable business you want to do, that will not need your presence most of the time, most especially at startup. The demand for your time in agriculture is even more.

Carefully, think deep to actually confirm your interest in farming, and be ready to contend with pilfering when you're not available most of the time.[/quote

You are very correct ,

Thats why i came here is seek advice from experienced hands on how to deal with it especially now that am still at the planning process.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by kolaomoobba: 9:22pm On Jan 02, 2019
Am interested in beekeeping, anybody with idea of where I can acquire practical training please. I live in Abuja and am ready to visit the farm provided its in or around Abuja.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by amosbitrus(m): 9:35am On Jan 03, 2019
if you need advice on fish farming. call 08132939727

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by nurey(m): 9:56am On Jan 03, 2019
ernie4life:

The only farming that won't take much of your time are crops, that land is too small for tree crops which commands cash, you are left with cash crops, your best bet is fruit and vegetables water melon, ugu, cucumber, egg plant etc.

Now whether the land can support such is different.

There are alot of things you can do on a 3 plot that can fetch you money and it's called agribusiness but you need money to make money.

Imagine having a borehole and 2 green houses on that land then you plant strawberry, broccoli, radish, giant yellow-red-green bell pepper my brother with ogbonge marketing you will be smiling to your vault.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by ernie4life(m): 11:45am On Jan 03, 2019
nurey:

The only farming that won't take much of your time are crops, that land is too small for tree crops which commands cash, you are left with cash crops, your best bet is fruit and vegetables water melon, ugu, cucumber, egg plant etc.

There are alot of things you can do on a 3 plot that can fetch you money and it's called agribusiness but you need money to make money.

Imagine having a borehole and 2 green houses on that land then you plant strawberry, broccoli, radish, giant yellow-red-green bell pepper my brother with ogbonge marketing you will be smiling to your vault.

so long as the business is viable am sure i can provide the capital needed
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by nurey(m): 11:54am On Jan 03, 2019
ernie4life:

so long as the business is viable am sure i can provide the capital needed

There is more to sustainability in business than splashing money on it.

Start by identifying the need you want to provide to your area

Do a research on it knowing about it and why people in your area aren't into it.

Write a business plan to support the development of the business that way you monitor your spending and profitability which will determine viability of such business.

Agriculture isn't always profitable it's not a get rich quick scheme but with determination and other things you can make it.

If your area people eat animals and they buy from afar, you can even rear animals on the land and start a fresh meat supply. Kill a goat everyday share with family and friends for a fee, they put the word out and the business grows.

2 Likes

Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by femnet29(m): 4:21pm On Jan 03, 2019
I can suggest the stress crop like cashew, orange, mango, or you go for pineapple farming, those are the crops that u may not need much attention.
For any enquiry contact
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by SEGLIZ: 6:22pm On Jan 03, 2019
femnet29:
I can suggest the stress crop like cashew, orange, mango, or you go for pineapple farming, those are the crops that u may not need much attention.
For any enquiry contact

would cashew go well on 3 plots of land? I have an acre.

1 Like

Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by SEGLIZ: 6:24pm On Jan 03, 2019
nurey:

what can you advise on an acre?
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by nurey(m): 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2019
SEGLIZ:

what can you advise on an acre?

Like I said fruits and vegetables command more returns in farming than cash crops.

Water melon, cucumber, egg plant, egusi, pawpaw etc
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by Neduzze5(m): 8:55pm On Jan 03, 2019
ernie4life:

I stay in Port Harcourt also, outskirts of Port Harcourt actually and I have 2 plots of land where I am running a fish farm. In addition to that, I have also added plantains and banana's to the mix. Banana's are a good source of income which would not need your everyday presence, if you know, you know.

You can plant these bananas and harvest and sell of every year and subsequently every 6 months. I sell one bunch of banana between 3 to 6k.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by wura2020: 9:25pm On Jan 03, 2019
kolaomoobba:
Am interested in beekeeping, anybody with idea of where I can acquire practical training please. I live in Abuja and am ready to visit the farm provided its in or around Abuja.

I am an aspiring beekeeper in Abuja. We have a cooperative association of beekeepers in Abuja. Send WhatsApp message ( 08076007388) to our President and you are set to go. We have apiary (bee farm) @ Anagada where you can take practical coaching with live bees. They sting though but the sting is medicinal.
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by ernie4life(m): 11:09pm On Jan 03, 2019
Neduzze5:

I stay in Port Harcourt also, outskirts of Port Harcourt actually and I have 2 plots of land where I am running a fish farm. In addition to that, I have also added plantains and banana's to the mix. Banana's are a good source of income which would not need your everyday presence, if you know, you know.

You can plant these bananas and harvest and sell of every year and subsequently every 6 months. I sell one bunch of banana between 3 to 6k.

Nice one, how can I see you so you can mentor me
Re: I Want To Go Into Farming, Help! by Neduzze5(m): 9:10am On Jan 04, 2019
ernie4life:

Nice one, how can I see you so you can mentor me

Send me a message on WhatsApp... My phone number is on my signature.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Rice Production Guide For 1 Hectare Of Land / 500 12weeks Broilers For Sale / How To Grow Maggots Artifially Which Inturn Can Be Feed To Fish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.