Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,646 members, 7,801,878 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 03:26 AM

Understanding Depression And Suicide - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Understanding Depression And Suicide (470 Views)

Depression And How To Deal / How Can I Battle With Depression And Suicidal Thoughts / How To Fight Depression In Nigeria: What To Do When Depressed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Understanding Depression And Suicide by kiddoiLL(m): 10:04am On Jan 03, 2019
Hello, Happy new year y'all.
This might be long for some of you who hate long articles but bear with me.
The reason I'm writing this post is because of the thread I saw yesterday concerning the DJ who committed suicide and the reactions I saw from almost everyone.
I thought well I'm sure it's nothing they've experienced and so it's easy to sit down there and judge a suicidal person. The comments on that thread was so mean and pointless. You see people calling him a Coward, others say stuffs like I can't kill myself for any reason o, while some just call the dead different names. You judge and call he or she names and yet you don't understand half of what he or she went through.

Is it really possible to understand why people commit suicide?
Personally I don't think it is but when you've never been in that position, you won't know how bad or messed up it is for someone to consider suicide.
This post isn't to encourage suicide, this post isn't to justify suicide, no it is not. This post is for you out there who will sit in your comfort zone or deal with what you're facing and because you have/had the grace to survive, you'll term people who couldn't as weaklings and cowards and say different stuff. It really needs to stop, it only proves to someone else who is on the verge of breaking how judgemental people can be no matter what.

I don't know what the DJ went through, I have no idea, some say it's general issues that led to depression, some say its because of a woman. (How stupid does it sound to say a man with a wife and possibly kids killed him just because of the wife)

No matter what you try to say, you can't feel what someone else is going through, while someone is facing their demons and battling, you can never understand that it's the said person alone against the world.
Families and friends could reach out, suicidal people only see death as a way out because they're At a point where life makes no meaning, Hopelessness is all they feel and they see nothing valuable to live for.
To the living soul, you see it as selfish and lame decisions. Weak people do not, I repeat weak people don't commit suicide. It takes someone strong to only do that, and with how strong they were, it only comes at the point where the spirit is broken and when they feel to get peace, they need to be dead.

I'll just drop this perfect analogy by David Foster Wallace here:

"The so-called 'psychotically depressed' person who tries to kill herself doesn’t do so out of quote 'hopelessness' or any abstract conviction that life’s assets and debits do not square. And surely not because death seems suddenly appealing. The person in whom Its invisible agony reaches a certain unendurable level will kill herself the same way a trapped person will eventually jump from the window of a burning high-rise. Make no mistake about people who leap from burning windows. Their terror of falling from a great height is still just as great as it would be for you or me standing speculatively at the same window just checking out the view; i.e. the fear of falling remains a constant. The variable here is the other terror, the fire’s flames: when the flames get close enough, falling to death becomes the slightly less terrible of two terrors. It’s not desiring the fall; it’s terror of the flames. And yet nobody down on the sidewalk, looking up and yelling ‘Don’t!’ and ‘Hang on!’, can understand the jump. Not really. You’d have to have personally been trapped and felt flames to really understand a terror way beyond falling”

Take your time and understand what that means, and that you can't stay down there and judge people, acting like you understand why they did or not once again let's stop this calling of names and stop acting like it's that easy. Someone out there who is suicidal is definitely seeing all of it, and it doesn't stop them, all it outs in their head is how it's obvious that they'll never be understood.

Only few who've been on that part will understand the battle and the demons you face.
This is my 2 cents.

Cc Lalasticlala
Cc Mynd44
Cc Fynestboi
Cc Seun

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Understanding Depression And Suicide by JasonScoolari: 10:15am On Jan 03, 2019
Beautifully presented.

But KiddoiLL, no matter what the situation is, Suicide shouldn't be an option.

We don't need to be in their shoes to see reasons for their cowardly act.
Re: Understanding Depression And Suicide by kiddoiLL(m): 10:25am On Jan 03, 2019
JasonScoolari:
Beautifully presented.

But KiddoiLL, no matter what the situation is, Suicide shouldn't be an option.

We don't need to be in their shoes to see reasons for their cowardly act.
Lol bro, again with the word “Coward”... cowards run from fights, cowards doesn't face any of their Battles.
You can't term someone who has been fighting for his life over years as coward when he finally loses and gives in.
We can't be strong forever, pray you don't get depressed to the point you get suicidal, in fact pray none of your family members do.
I think we can express ourselves in ways that'll be clear and say what we feel about them without calling them cowards or weaklings, don't you agree with me on that?.. it's the calling of names that's bad, it does no good to anyone

1 Like

Re: Understanding Depression And Suicide by JasonScoolari: 10:31am On Jan 03, 2019
kiddoiLL:
Lol bro, again with the word “Coward”... cowards run from fights, cowards doesn't face any of their Battles.
You can't term someone who has been fighting for his life over years as coward when he finally loses and gives in.
We can't be strong forever, pray you don't get depressed to the point you get suicidal, in fact pray none of your family members do.
I think we can express ourselves in ways that'll be clear and say what we feel about them without calling them cowards or weaklings, don't you agree with me on that?.. it's the calling of names that's bad, it does no good to anyone
Lol, so you expect us to sing their praises and call them heroes? cheesy

Bro, they only end up adding more problems.

-Unnecessary burial budget.
-Unnecessary condolence visit.

You sef, think am.
Re: Understanding Depression And Suicide by kiddoiLL(m): 10:41am On Jan 03, 2019
JasonScoolari:
Lol, so you expect us to sing their praises and call them heroes? cheesy

Bro, they only end up adding more problem,

-Unnecessary burial budget.
-Unnecessary condolence visit.

You sef, think am.
on the contrary bro, I don't..come on that's you exaggerating. I've been through that shít, I've stayed depressed and suicidal for years, but I came out of it..
Now will I say I'm some sort of hero just because I didn't break? Nope, what hero is that? At the same time I can't call the people who failed and stopped fighting cowards. I know how what it is to feel that way.. Let's just express or say whatever we want to without calling them names such as cowards or heroes..
My brother I can't call anyone of them names, I can only thank God I survived what they couldn't survive

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Understanding Depression And Suicide by JasonScoolari: 10:45am On Jan 03, 2019
kiddoiLL:
on the contrary bro, I don't..come on that's you exaggerating. I've been through that shít, I've stayed depressed and suicidal for years, but I came out of it..
Now will I say I'm some sort of hero just because I didn't break? Nope, what hero is that? At the same time I can't call the people who failed and stopped fighting cowards. I know how what it is to feel that way.. Let's just express or say whatever we want to without calling them names such as cowards or heroes..
My brother I can't call anyone of them names, I can only thank God I survived what they couldn't survive
No need stretching it further bro.

Thanks!

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Things You Should Do Before You Die / Iobit Uninstaller Pro Crack + Torrent Is Here / PHONE: Govt Approves Plans To Block Calls From GLO To Airtel Lines

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.