Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,582 members, 7,809,111 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 11:29 PM

Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone (8493 Views)

How To Get GLO 50 Thousand Free Airtime / See How Much Etisalat Charged Me For 4mb On Their Pay-go / See What MTN Charged Me For An SMS (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Profcamsey(m): 4:45pm On Jan 03, 2019
I bought a phone via AliExpress and it reached my local post office yesterday. On getting there today, I was asked to pay 50 thousand naira for custom duty. Please, who has had the same experience? I don't want to be duped. I have been receiving parcels from there and I was never charged more than #200.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by shedy03(m): 5:44pm On Jan 03, 2019
Profcamsey:
I bought a phone via AliExpress and it reached my local post office yesterday. On getting there today, I was asked to pay 50 thousand naira for custom duty. Please, who has had the same experience? I don't want to be duped. I have been receiving parcels from there and I was never charged more than #200.
How much did the phone cost?
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Profcamsey(m): 5:51pm On Jan 03, 2019
shedy03:

How much did the phone cost?

$400+
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by shedy03(m): 5:57pm On Jan 03, 2019
Profcamsey:

$400+
Must be a high end phone. But 50K duty!
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by talut(m): 6:44pm On Jan 03, 2019
I smell a scam. whilst not know much on cases like this, isn't nipost service suppose to be almost free of charge?

Try as much as possible to find out . Hopefully someone here will help you. Besides I don't think custom charge should be collected in the post office. If there was any custom related problem, the phone wouldn't even get to the post office.

5 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by nonny400(m): 6:48pm On Jan 03, 2019
talut:
I smell a scam. whilst not know much on cases like this, isn't nipost service suppose to be almost free of charge?

Try as much as possible to find out . Hopefully someone here will help you. Besides I don't think custom charge should be collected in the post office. If there was any custom related problem, the phone wouldn't even get to the post office.

I agree. OP please don't be scammed by those thieves

5 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by docsholz(m): 6:50pm On Jan 03, 2019
Profcamsey:
that's way too high , it's fraud

3 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by SilentVboy: 7:17pm On Jan 03, 2019
Profcamsey:
@op, just as u rightly said, its #200 that is normally charged or at most #500 depending on the size...

But something happened.......

Its the courier that was used to send your package that caused the prob.

I have an aunt in Lag that works with Nipost. When I used to collect my ordered packages there, she said I should never receive package via a particular section in the nipost office but can't remember the section. I asked why?
She said because they charge real high fees. But never cared to ask further cos I do not receive from that section.
I even saw a guy there really shouting and angry cos he was asked to pay 25k before collecting a phone.

3 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Jackossky(m): 7:58pm On Jan 03, 2019
Were you not the guy that made a disparaging statement on the Xiaomi thread saying you always get away with #200 custom fee and was skeptical of a guy who said he was billed 7000+?

If it's you, then tell me, how is the billing cheesy..is it real or a sham coz I am thinking of ordering a phone from AliExpress cool

21 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Collins4u1(m): 9:55pm On Jan 03, 2019
it's very high oooo.
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by eastTKBorn: 10:03pm On Jan 03, 2019

1 Like 4 Shares

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 03, 2019
shocked

Where's Lalasticlacla sef!

3 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Dollabiz: 11:18pm On Jan 03, 2019
I advice those who still buys from aliexpress and other online sites abroad to desist except they are using cargo service or people who can easily scale through custom hurdle. since buhari came in a lot has changed and many still clamouring to vote these people again.

the new custom boss appointed by buhari instructed that all ordinary mails coming in should now go through thorough check that express mails such as dhl fedex tnt ems goes through ,and duty charged after evaluation! if you are lucky sometimes when their is overload at the customs they won't check that's why some still pays 500naira ! its now luck ! buy at your own risk! since they started checking they have detected that expensive items are being shipped via regularly mail and undervalued so they revaluate your package and use their hscode to charge you high duty same as ups and dhl fedex...so be careful except if u are buying toy of 1 dollar

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by flexerking(m): 11:25pm On Jan 03, 2019
Jackossky:
Were you not the guy that made a disparaging statement on the Xiaomi thread saying you always get away with #200 custom fee and was skeptical of a guy who said he was billed 7000+?

If it's you, then tell me, how is the billing cheesy..is it real or a sham coz I am thinking of ordering a phone from AliExpress cool
hahaha lesson learnt

3 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by trulygirl: 12:43am On Jan 04, 2019
Why do guys think Nigerian Customs is declaring high returns of late. Ordered some items few months ago for around $700 over 200k naira. I was forced to pay 80k for custom duty. I was like what is going on. So please be careful while importing items.

1 Like

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by hyfr(m): 1:30am On Jan 04, 2019
This is bad business. 50k for s $400 phone? Haba e for better say u buy icloud locked iphone 8plus come use d 50k unlock am jare. undecided
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Lexusgs430: 1:42am On Jan 04, 2019
trulygirl:
Why do guys think Nigerian Customs is declaring high returns of late. Ordered some items few months ago for around $700 over 200k naira. I was forced to pay 80k for custom duty. I was like what is going on. So please be careful while importing items.

Raising money for FG or Ali & Co ........
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Profcamsey(m): 2:00am On Jan 04, 2019
Jackossky:

Who?
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by nedubest(m): 2:29am On Jan 04, 2019
for what na
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Abrahamdgreat(m): 5:24am On Jan 04, 2019
I hope say all this stuff na sakamanje cos I just order screen #40k... If them try am kpere na either blood flow or all my family members go follow go beg for there grin grin

4 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Abrahamdgreat(m): 5:30am On Jan 04, 2019
SilentVboy:
@op, just as u rightly said, its #200 that is normally charged or at most #500 depending on the size...

But something happened.......

Its the courier that was used to send your package that caused the prob.

I have an aunt in Lag that works with Nipost. When I used to collect my ordered packages there, she said I should never receive package via a particular section in the nipost office but can't remember the section. I asked why?
She said because they charge real high fees. But never cared to ask further cos I do not receive from that section.
I even saw a guy there really shouting and angry cos he was asked to pay 25k before collecting a phone.
When did she tell u this exactly

1 Like

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by bomasek(m): 8:29am On Jan 04, 2019
trulygirl:
U sure the said item is 200k? What duty rate is the item?
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by obichiddy(m): 10:01am On Jan 04, 2019
This is a serious issue nowadays at Enugu. They said they were given that mandate Oct 17th 2018, by the new boss in charge to be collecting a charge for every item weighing above 0.2kg.
#200 for range 0.2kg - 0.4kg
#500 for range 0.4kg and above.
Then for the heavily weighted items, I have no idea yet. But of a truth someone came to collect a phone and was asked to pay 8k. The weight of the phone I don't know but it should not be more than 2kg. I am so scared cos I'm presently expecting a handheld sewing machine. God help us in this country.

5 Likes

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by zolajpower: 10:14am On Jan 04, 2019
Sue them
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Olibboy: 10:15am On Jan 04, 2019
scam alert
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by fibonacci2526: 10:54am On Jan 04, 2019
Custom charge is real but 50k is damn too much.

1 Like

Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by SilentVboy: 10:54am On Jan 04, 2019
Abrahamdgreat:
When did she tell u this exactly
It was in 2016..
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Olachase(m): 11:39am On Jan 04, 2019
my IPhone 8 still day with DHL till today base on custom fee sometimes I wonder if our government want good for us
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by Yelutide: 11:40am On Jan 04, 2019
Profcamsey:

OP, don't pay that money. They want to scam you. N500 is what you are suppose to pay and not N50K.
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by fibonacci2526: 11:42am On Jan 04, 2019
Yelutide:

OP, don't pay that money. They want to scam you. N500 is what you are suppose to pay and not N50K.

Not #500, if you are unlucky you will be charged with custom fee ranging from 3-12k. That 50k is too much though.
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by bomasek(m): 11:55am On Jan 04, 2019
Olachase:
my IPhone 8 still day with DHL till today base on custom fee sometimes I wonder if our government want good for us
How much is the duty
Re: Nipost Charged Me 50 Thousand Naira For A Phone by KingOfAllIgbos: 1:20pm On Jan 04, 2019
It is a scam run by Nigerian Customs + the courier companies e.g. DHL and FedEx.

Yes, you are supposed to pay custom duty on particular items but the money is hardly ever remitted to FG coffers.

I know all these because i showed FedEx pepper. If you ask their MD my surname, he still remembers, because i actually took it all the way to their HQ in U.S.A. i got death threats over this case sef

It became a long drawn out case all over 60k so i eventually dropped it because i didnt get access to the overall Customs Boss, Hammed Ali or whatever his name is

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Airtel Might Block Bis On Other Phones Today / Ever Wondered Why The NO: 5 On Every Phone Keyboard Has A Dot Behind It? / Download Fmwhatsapp V8.45 Mod Latest Version For Android

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.