Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,104 members, 7,807,332 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 12:22 PM

Can Men Be Feminists? - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Can Men Be Feminists? (399 Views)

Why We Should Not Be Feminists / Daughters Of Chimamanda: Twitter Feminists’ Revolution / African Feminists And The Luxury Of Madness (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Can Men Be Feminists? by mikeycharles(m): 7:04pm On Jan 03, 2019
I previously wrote about this on Medium with the exact same title but I still want to revisit the same topic here on this platform.
Who is a feminist? Well Chimamanda Adichie gave us a brief and concise definition in one of her TED's talk titled "Why We Should All Be Feminists" which Beyoncé later used for her single titled "Flawless", she aptly defined it as "A person who believes in the social, political and economic equality of the sexes". There is an important word here which is to be noted; "person", there was no gender associated to the word, it simply stated a person implying that it could ether be male or female. But why is it common for most men to have an apathy for feminism and it's activities?

There are many reasons why this is so but I have come to some conclusions;
Society, the system is built in such a way whereby the woman is seen as a helper or a home builder and most housekeeping duties are relegated to her, she is to cook, clean and take care of the home. For example in Nigeria, the female child is taught to sweep while the boys dare not touch the broom. I remember in secondary school then, the girls would be assigned to sweep the classrooms and school compound while the boys either go out to play or wait outside for the classrooms to be swept.
The men are held to a different standard than their female counterpart, they are groomed to be engineers, medicals doctors etc to be able to fend and provide for their families. They are to make sure there is food on the table, shelter and clothes for their families.
Simple is it not? Responsibilities have been "equally" shared amongst them but why has there been an uproar to change what the system has built, why are the tables now been turned. Some women have noticed that there has been some impartiality or preference when it comes to job types and the roles they have been assigned to carryout, there are even cases where male workers are paid higher than female workers. So this has resulted to the advocacy for equal rights for both men and women but why are there complications concerning this issue.
I once heard a man saying and I quote "What is a woman doing talking about football" he made this utterance during a match analysis ignoring the fact that there are women who participate in sports just like men and love the game than some men but that's a whole different demographic.

Most ladies want a man to ask them out on a date, pay for the meals, sweep them off their feet and take them back home like some Disney movie but later on the man might ask the lady to fix him a late night meal and she will quickly decline citing that they are both human beings and should know how to cook since most chefs are males themselves. This irks out the man and to maintain peace he stays mute, the next day he tells her to wash his fabrics, to which she yells and proudly (ignorantly) declares herself as a feminist.
The issue here is a lady can't claim to be a feminist and then try to conform to societal standards of what is expected of a man, this will result in a conflict since the man has also been conditioned to conform to societal standards of what is expected of a woman as a wife or partner.
I know in Africa we are still growing but the issue of gender roles applies in almost every society and culture, some persons are trying to act "woke" to feed their own ego and selfish interests but cry foul when the same is applied to them. You can't enslave anybody, you both agreed to date each other with mutual respect for one another, you cannot try to "devalue" the male gender and in turn uplift yourself, that is just one sided and cannot be considered feminism since there is no equality.
I know there is a lot of orientation needed but please no do pass yourself lol.
Re: Can Men Be Feminists? by Klinee: 10:03pm On Jan 04, 2019
Most people(male and female) don't have value for male gender anymore.
Men are being treated with disdain with no respect, that's why a criminal that was arrested will be humiliated, kill, burn or stripe unclad if it is a male but if it is female, she will be pampered and accord some respect and dignity.
Even in the police station such scenero occur, male inmates will be stripe before going into the detention cell while their female counterpart are allowed clothed.
In work premises such scenero took place too, men and women who perform equivalent task, the male counterparts are very much likely to be underpaid compared to their female ones.

(1) (Reply)

.. / Female Artist, Kofo Drew A Portrait Of DJ Cuppy / Complete List Of Ethnic Groups In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.