Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,344 members, 7,800,673 topics. Date: Wednesday, 17 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? (16959 Views)

Australian Man Sacked From His N50m Job For Ejaculating On Women In Public / Lagos Police Officer With A Bottle Of Beer In Public Arrested. Photos / How I Become A Vehicle Diagnostic Technician Through Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Iyajison: 7:31pm On Jan 04, 2019
mayprince:
I am an undergraduate student of a federal university,like someone said "2019 is about opportunities and collaborations"...Then I discovered I might be opportuned to be in a position this year 2019 to give speech (public speaking),making public speaking one of my 2019 goals and
the ability to communicate a message, sell an idea, or paint a vision is a critical skill for anyone who wants to have an impact on the others. 

Having not done or knowing anything about public speaking because I don't participate in debate neither have I experienced one which is why I need all nairalander's help in highlighting the steps I need to take to become skilled in public speaking,and I know the platform is the best stepping stone to achieve it.

It's simple..

Jxt attain the position, get a good skilled public speaker to give u prepared speeches... Ur good to go bro...
Ur so called president does same..

just a suggestion
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Correspondence(m): 7:36pm On Jan 04, 2019
mayprince:

These books are expensive, public speaking by Dale Carnegie is around #195,000

You can download it free

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by collitexnaira(m): 7:40pm On Jan 04, 2019
xxxtedyxxx:
Practice practice...

go to waptrick...

type : public speaking" in the search bar
click search.

then tick pdf

lots of cool ebooks on public speaking are there..

then download this...

"the describers dictionary"

I swear your writing and speaking go improve within 1 week... smiley

Broh, am really interested in the describer's dictionary you mentioned, i have searched it online for download but i couldn't get it. Please send it to my email if you have it, Sontomaria@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Nobody: 7:42pm On Jan 04, 2019
TedX is spreading across Nigeria, attend their events in your city. There is Toastmasters in Lagos Nigeria. They have events that help boost your public speaking skills. Volunteer to speak at local events in your industry. Public speaking requires more and more practice.
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by TeaY2(m): 7:43pm On Jan 04, 2019
mayprince:
I am an undergraduate student of a federal university,like someone said "2019 is about opportunities and collaborations"...Then I discovered I might be opportuned to be in a position this year 2019 to give speech (public speaking),making public speaking one of my 2019 goals and
the ability to communicate a message, sell an idea, or paint a vision is a critical skill for anyone who wants to have an impact on the others. 

Having not done or knowing anything about public speaking because I don't participate in debate neither have I experienced one which is why I need all nairalander's help in highlighting the steps I need to take to become skilled in public speaking,and I know the platform is the best stepping stone to achieve it.

You need to be trained on some necessary public speaking skills.
You can download some of the public speaking trainings materials through the link below (videos and ebook).
https://impactconnect.com.ng/category/public-speaking/
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Jan 04, 2019
mayprince:

Well, public speaking is excentially an inate ability.
I knew I always had the ability,but all I needed was to work on it

Some of my strategies to developing myself were
1)building confidence:no matter how good you are with words,if you can't face crowds,you talent is a waste,you must gain self confidence through prayer and practice I'll talk more on that.

2)build your vocabulary: this is very important,because if you must speak publicly you need to have a lot of words at your disposal,you can do this by reading across many range of knowledge.so I advise you to Read, read and read some more.

3)practice :constantly talk to yourself on different topics reapetedly,do this often and with time you would have mastered the at.

4)build a charisma:don't speak as if you are reciting a poem,put in an interesting and bold attitude when speaking,this will give you an exceptional impression on your audience.

I have a great deal of experience with public speaking,so I know what I am talking about.
Hope this is helpful.

2 Likes

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by mayprince(m): 7:53pm On Jan 04, 2019
Correspondence:

You can download it free

I really doubt this tho.....can you provide the link pls?
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by lexy2014: 8:11pm On Jan 04, 2019
mayprince:

Everyone is saying read this, read that. How many u wan read? Ur head go just burst. Most times, ur success isn't discovered in reading d books written by other men. Ur success is in u discovering urself. If u attend church, pls join ur Sunday school department. There u will discover urself. U will learn 2 fail, learn 2 learn, learn 2 prepare & learn 2 succeed in d art of public speaking

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Infinixhot2: 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2019
I thought I have created a Thread on that before... https://www.nairaland.com/4599868/how-speak-confidently-crowd
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Infinixhot2: 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2019
I thought I have created a Thread on that before... https://www.nairaland.com/4599868/how-speak-confidently-crowd
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Infinixhot2: 8:21pm On Jan 04, 2019
I thought I have created a Thread on that before...
https://www.nairaland.com/4599868/how-speak-confidently-crowd[b]I thought I have created a Thread on that before...
https://www.nairaland.com/4599868/how-speak-confidently-crowd[/b]I thought I have created a Thread on that before...
https://www.nairaland.com/4599868/how-speak-confidently-crowd

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by tintingz(m): 8:22pm On Jan 04, 2019
Randy100:
Look down on everybody as if they are chicken. You will be alright.
Lol, I watched somewhere that you can imagine the crowd in their undies and that will boost one confidence in public. grin

OP, The main key in public speaking is confidence, work on that first and the rest is easy.
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by xpress101(m): 8:31pm On Jan 04, 2019
Start by speaking to yourself in front of a mirror to watch how to comport yourself.
Then start by speaking Infront of 3 people, probably friend and let them take notes and score you.
Then increase the number.
Look for events where you can speak

mayprince:

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by deelummy: 8:36pm On Jan 04, 2019
This is probably the best decision you will ever make if you really want to improve your speaking and leadership skills.
Testimonies abound.

You can read a million books about it, withoutpractice, the best you'll become is a guru on theories of public
Speaking.

TM international offers you the platform you need to speak, write and listen. Registration is very affordable and you can even be attending free of charge for as long as you want.

A couple of centres are scattered throughout Lagos, google ikeja toastmasters club. Join them 2nd and 3rd Saturdays at Lasuth. You life will never remain5the same.

Learn more about them on their website. Toastmasters international
2undeee:
Join Toastmasters

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Virtutis: 8:38pm On Jan 04, 2019

Adding to what others have enumerated, write a lot. When you write you'd be able to crystallise your thoughts, making it easy for you to present them succinctly and in the most concise form.
Also, join the Literary and Debating Society of your school. I'm sure you'd have one, just ask around. Be heavily involved in the various activities and debating competitions that would present themselves.
Finally, practice, practice and practice! Speak, speak and speak more with any little opportunity you can grab.
I'm also working seriously on public speaking this year.

All the best!

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by ABUPHARM(m): 8:46pm On Jan 04, 2019
maxipharo:
Take courses on Udemy.com
Is it a free program?
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by subcbouy: 8:52pm On Jan 04, 2019
lexy2014:

Everyone is saying read this, read that. How many u wan read? Ur head go just burst. Most times, ur success isn't discovered in reading d books written by other men. Ur success is in u discovering urself. If u attend church, pls join ur Sunday school department. There u will discover urself. U will learn 2 fail, learn 2 learn, learn 2 prepare & learn 2 succeed in d art of public speaking
Funny you! Why do you need LWRS (Listening, Writing, Reading n Speaking) in the first place? Yes, not all books direct you to success but what you see or read on paper such as listed by people here will inspire your self discovery. You will still need to listen from others too. You don't need to read all books to be successful; you only need their opinions and that will help you a lot my friend. But, If you have the capability to read all of these books, do so friend. It will add to your knowledge.
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by ABUPHARM(m): 8:56pm On Jan 04, 2019
gr8tone:
what gives most people confidence in public speaking is the quantum of knowledge thy possess on the topic of discussion. I personally have stage fright, but that only comes to play when I don't have adequate information on the given topic. You can boost your confidence by reading and Learning well. Be a better listener.

You said it all

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by sanmtiago(m): 9:10pm On Jan 04, 2019
Okay now my own problem is knowing to many vocabularies and not being able to curb my circumlocution. Sometimes I feel embarrassed for knowing to many vocabs. Peers even laugh at me when I speak to them in numbers and they treat whatever my opinions are with unsavory flippancy.. Please guys how do I learn to speak without being too verbose??

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Bigwig02(m): 9:17pm On Jan 04, 2019
Randy100:

Vital Point, even if u read inspiration novels or attend seminar, just try to see everyone(Ur Audience) as ur play mate.,
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by flimsy2(m): 9:21pm On Jan 04, 2019
like some one says read books.. YouTube really helped me a lot.. by watching speeches made by professionals like jack ma and chimamanda adichie

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Godsfavour78: 9:33pm On Jan 04, 2019
2undeee:
Join Toastmasters

is toastmasters a functional organization in Nigeria?
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by deelummy: 9:36pm On Jan 04, 2019
Yes! Very functional
Godsfavour78:
is toastmasters a functional organization in Nigeria?
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by chiefolododo(m): 9:53pm On Jan 04, 2019
Randy100:
truth
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Godsfavour78: 9:57pm On Jan 04, 2019
deelummy:
Yes! Very functional
Nigeria has 36 states sir
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by MexManuel(m): 10:10pm On Jan 04, 2019
@op if you can, take up side teaching jobs or volunteer to offer/participate in training where you would render lectures on stuffs you can do well.
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Batworks: 10:22pm On Jan 04, 2019
I will be candid with you no matter the number of literature you read on public speaking it will still not take the fear of public speaking away when you mouth the podium you still fell your nerve. Nevertheless what i can prescribe for you is training practice brings perfection thet say at any slight oppurtunity you see try and address people maybe 10 maybe 20 from there you get used to public speaking. smiley

1 Like

Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by newinsta: 12:09am On Jan 05, 2019
I thought myself how to speak in public and now am training my staff on that, only few things are needed 1. have content (be loaded) 2. don't talk, communicate 3. do it often, good examples teachers and pastors
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Effort9(m): 1:10am On Jan 05, 2019
1. Get certified by Shaw academy or udemy or Alexander Oburoh.
2. Follow Tedtalks, evan carmicheal , Jack canfield, Eric Thomas, D'Ladder and Patrick Bet David youtube channels.
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Thobiy(m): 4:12am On Jan 05, 2019
xxxtedyxxx:
Practice practice...

go to waptrick...

type : public speaking" in the search bar
click search.

then tick pdf

lots of cool ebooks on public speaking are there..

then download this...

"the describers dictionary"

I swear your writing and speaking go improve within 1 week... smiley
pls can I get pdf of describer dictionary
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by lexy2014: 5:33am On Jan 05, 2019
subcbouy:
Funny you! Why do you need LWRS (Listening, Writing, Reading n Speaking) in the first place? Yes, not all books direct you to success but what you see or read on paper such as listed by people here will inspire your self discovery. You will still need to listen from others too. You don't need to read all books to be successful; you only need their opinions and that will help you a lot my friend. But, If you have the capability to read all of these books, do so friend. It will add to your knowledge.

subcbouy:
Yes, not all books direct you to success.

You don't need to read all books to be successful;

But, If you have the capability to read all of these books, do so friend. It will add to your knowledge.

I can c u are using d word "you". Are u sure u understand d topic being discussed? If u did, u should have directed ur counsel 2d dude who is looking 4 help as I did 4 him.

Second, u seem 2b contradicting urself. U seem 2b correcting me but u are reemphasing what I said earlier.

Third, y will a person b reading "all of these books?" Is there anyone who became a good public speaker by reading "all of these books?"
Re: 2019 Goal: How Do I Become Skilled In Public Speaking? by Observer007(m): 6:42am On Jan 05, 2019
mayprince:

1. Have a mastery of the subject matter.
2. A passion for the subject. Very key.
3. Build your vocabulary. Read wide.
4. Self confidence. Also, being properly dressed at all times when you have to speak can significantly boost your confidence.
5. Practice. Practice. Practice. In smaller group settings and continue moving up to speaking at larger gatherings.
6. Join Toastmasters International. To accelerate your growth in public speaking.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

South African Senior Military Officer Dismissed Over Social Media Comment / How Do I Handle Such A Boss / What Is A Well-paying Job In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.