Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,384 members, 7,808,362 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 10:54 AM

Nairaland's Solution To The Nepa (phcn) Crisis. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nairaland's Solution To The Nepa (phcn) Crisis. (949 Views)

“even If Buhari Presents NEPA Bill As Certificate, I Will Vote For Him” –ikpeba / Why Does NEPA(PHCN) Take Light When It's Raining? / Solution To The Nepa/phcn Palava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Nairaland's Solution To The Nepa (phcn) Crisis. by dcafe(m): 8:19pm On Apr 17, 2007
Please can we have well thought out contributions as to how to solve the power outage problem in our Country? If we can thrash it out in this forum, from a positive view point, one day, when a Nairalander becomes President she/he will remember. grin

In a nut shell,
I suggest after much thought. that each State should be decreed to build and operate a power plant which will be managed by the State Government. A lot of research will have to be done per State to determine what type, capacity, location etc. based on projections worked out.

For example a gas powered station will be ideal in the South-South and not in the North.
When this happens a Governor can be held responsible for poor supply of Electricity and States that are better positioned due to natural resources or a better Government, could generate enough power for the state and sell excess power generated to neighboring states.
E.g. power requirements in Lagos State exceed that of Ogun State (Tenfold?). Ogun might generate all it requires and from abundance, still sell to Lagos or Osun state if any of these states so desire.

While this will mean the National grid is History but think, isn't it dead now? The Network can be left for emergency purposes since it spans the length of the country.

When Nitel controlled all telecommunications, they made a mess of it.

In my opinion, it is not right to put Nitel and PHCN on the same pedestal. Telecomms can be sent by airwaves but not electricity, so I can subscribe to Globacom and my neighbor to Celtel or Mtn.
Same cannot be said of Electricity. Whole areas must be connected on the same grid.
My point? Having private companies generate and distribute electricity will not work. Hence my suggestion that the state Government is best positioned to do this.

Is there any Power expert, PHCN staff, Economist e.t.c in the house to tell me why this will not be possible?

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

Elections: Us Threatens Nigeria With Sanctions / Nigeria Is A Joke! / We Gave Senatorial Slot To Obasanjo, Not Iyabo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.