Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,711 members, 7,805,923 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:30 AM

Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? (33585 Views)

JAMB Score For Medicine, Is 248 Okay? / ABU Zaria Denies Girl Who Scored 302 In JAMB Admission For Medicine & Surgery / JAMB 2023 Cut Off Mark for Medicine, Law, Engineering, Accounting etc (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by tightpussy156: 6:01am On Jan 06, 2019
Mr man masters an PhD no be achievement. remembered after school the next thing is to make money if you can't make money after ur masters an PhD u will be seriously frustrated in life. u will regret why u even do the programme.it is better u go for ur medicine if you can do it because I wish you good.let me give u example my junior sister got her b.s.c. in microbiology after that she went to apply for direct entry an still wrote jamb for this medicine but the direct entry did not work out the other one work out so she started from 100 level but today she is well sucessfull with her own hospital.self employment. she just bought 2016 Lexus jeep and already have three houses.you see it everything in life is focus I wish she did not go for that medicine she would have not been successful like this maybe still looking for job.I did masters an PhD but today am not even working with the master an phd. for so many years.I still work with my b.s.c. I even regret why I wasted my money an time in maters an PhD.master an PhD are frustrated in Nigeria except you do it abroad.so it up to you I have given you a good advice.

5 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by bolinjkezzy(m): 6:13am On Jan 06, 2019
oke48:
[s]Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned[/s]

Is finishing a PhD at 26 now an achievement? The main question should be what exactly are your career goals? Why do you want to do a masters and PhD in biochemistry? Why do you want to study medicine? Etc

My candid advice is that provided you're doing very well in biochemistry, you could further your studies or career by exploring an area that bridge both biochemistry and medicine.

If you don't like this, then you can go for your medicine if that's what gives you joy. It's better to do what you naturally have passion for. Better later than never.

Shalom!
Career goal no dy naija again, we all want job security.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by oke48(m): 6:25am On Jan 06, 2019
Jiang:

I know some1 who applied for medicine but was given statistics, d guy was disappointed, but he believed in destiny, put his all to study that course. He graduated with an extremely good result & immediately after service he got employed at CBN.

The point is sometimes people try desperately to change thier course when they had no idea they are working away from thier correct path. Sometimes when you try to do something & thier are obstacles almost at every single step, My brother do urself a favor & just leave that thing unless of course it's the nature of that stuff to have said obstacles.

The point is sometimes people try desperately to change thier course when they had no idea they are working away from thier correct path

God bless you for this statement.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Jman06(m): 6:43am On Jan 06, 2019
EbubeDam:

my bad fir trying to clear you, dts y Africans wont grow.
Well Im a jnr reg in one of the teaching hospital in 9ja.
I hv my facts
You are a junior reg and still typed that only MBBS and mls graduates can do MPH What about Nurses, Pharmacists, dentists, med rehab guys etc. You obviously have little information at your disposal concerning MPH. I know someone with BSc biology who did MPH. The issue is not doing MPH, but getting a job with it. Someone with BSc
in any biological science can do MPH but the question is; after MPH, what next? wait endlessly for a rare UN job? While the healthcare graduates can at least apply their knowledge in practice, the biology graduate is restricted to only few jobs. Even when those few jobs come up, he is still at disadvantage because he'll still have the healthcare professionals (who wish to work for such NGO jobs) to contend with, and those professionals will always be preferred by the organization.
The best bait for BSc guys is to further in the academia up to PhD level.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Cajal(m): 7:48am On Jan 06, 2019
I think u should go for medicine.After ur MBBS degree u can decide based on what u have passion for. If it's lecturing or clinical practice
Now that the Medical and dental council of Nigeria are saying no to non doctors taking medical students at medical schools.
U will have that privilege of choosing to either lecture at Nigeria medical schools or a clinician.
U can also decide to travel abroad for ur post graduate training in medicine and surgery... What is being referred to as residency training.
Go for medicine... start ur post graduate training on either Biochemistry or residency training in either surgery, medicine or paedo or OBS and gyna...best of luck
As for money....only God Almighty make people rich

2 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by lebienconnu: 7:52am On Jan 06, 2019
My guy, go for medicine. Get UTME form (I did this, yes kee, after a BSc) and apply for Direct Entry. When you graduate as doctor you will have so many options to choose from viz:
1 Get a paid job
2 Do MBA and open your own medical center. (very rewarding if you have entrepreneurial skill. This is my plan sha. Pray for me)
3 Take foreign exams and commoti for this country.
4 Write primary and go into residency here.

Any one you choose, you will not regret. You will be saving lives. Putting smiles on people's faces. Restoring hopes where they are lost. Rest assured you will be fulfilled and immensely rewarded. You will get a lot of "thank you very much, Doctor" plus ya alert join (in my own opinion the latter is more important)

On a different note, Private Parole is very sweet considering our booming population. I can't help but wonder why guys are trooping abroad for pasture when the one here is far greener, albeit for those who have the discerning eyes.

On a final note (me and notes, I don taya), please know that once you have passion for medicine it will follow you to your grave especially if you have the intellectual wherewithal to pursue it. I know PhD holders who got DE into medicine.

My padi, best of luck.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 8:02am On Jan 06, 2019
Jman06:
You are a junior reg and still typed that only MBBS and mls graduates can do MPH What about Nurses, Pharmacists, dentists, med rehab guys etc. You obviously have little information at your disposal concerning MPH. I know someone with BSc biology who did MPH. The issue is not doing MPH, but getting a job with it. Someone with BSc
in any biological science can do MPH but the question is; after MPH, what next? wait endlessly for a rare UN job? While the healthcare graduates can at least apply their knowledge in practice, the biology graduate is restricted to only few jobs. Even when those few jobs come up, he is still at disadvantage because he'll still have the healthcare professionals (who wish to work for such NGO jobs) to contend with, and those professionals will always be preferred by the organization.
The best bait for BSc guys is to further in the academia up to PhD level.

Guy dont quote me, go and check differences between environmental public health and public health proper and stop saying gibberish!!!!
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by ghettochild(m): 9:17am On Jan 06, 2019
Welcome to our world.. Biochemistry will get u no job in Nigeria so its better u either go do ur masters n PhD but note u will end up in d educational system so I would ultimately advice u go for medicine outside of naija... I repeat outside Naija.. As long as u got d funds....
For u it shd be three years or four in most foreign countries
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Iyajelili(f): 9:32am On Jan 06, 2019
Neddyogu:

Graduates of Sociology, Statistics and co pursue MPH but a graduate of BCH can't? I hear u sir
Hello please can you put me through how I can successfully apply for MPH? I mean, schools that offers the course in Nigeria.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by arinzos(m): 10:17am On Jan 06, 2019
Iyajelili:

Hello please can you put me through how I can successfully apply for MPH? I mean, schools that offers the course in Nigeria.
Follow this Link.
https://www.nairaland.com/2061430/careers-public-health/14

Most of your Questions will be answered.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by NigeriaB(m): 10:19am On Jan 06, 2019
https://www.nairaland.com/3173873/quit-jobeventually-turn-down-offer
dis mite help,..open dat link. He is in 500L now
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by dane15: 12:09pm On Jan 06, 2019
Aremson14:
Good day everyone. I am a final yr biochemistry student. And i have been wondering what to do after school. Ive always dreamt of studying medicine but the situation here in Nigeria has discouraged me(due to how difficult it is to get the admission even after scoring good enough scores in Jamb and p.utme).

I'm speculating if i should take a direct entry form or i shld just head for my masters as soon as im done. Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned. But then there is this medicine i also love.

Your advice would be appreciated especially those that have been in this situation before and have already passed through this, any regrets.

Enyi m, my advice to you is simple-What is your passion?

If you study and practise medicine for financial rewards in Nigeria, your tears go full bucket o. Why do you think they are always going on strike? And mind you, gone are the days of automatic jobs for Doctors o. The competition for the few vacancies in Private hospitals is stiff and that is one of the many reasons why they are leaving the country in droves.

On the Biochemistry, a lecturer in the Chemistry department of UI back in the days, Professor Adesomoju used to say that your BSc is a platform for you to achieve your dreams. Your Bsc simply shows that you are trainable. You can still end up as a Chartered Accountant, Architect, Banker if you strategize smartly. I assure you that with a 2:1, and good exposure to GMAT tests and job interviews, you will land a job in no time.

If you have less than a 2:1, you can also decide to take your Post Grad studies in Nigeria, lecture, work as an Industrial Biochemist, a medical biochemist or travel out of the country and take a bridge MSc between Biochemistry and Medicine/Engineering, become a Biomedical Engineer and change your life.

But at the end of the day, it is up to you.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Jman06(m): 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2019
@Mastermindx, I saw your pm but I can't access my mail with this account. I'll add you on WhatsApp
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 12:27pm On Jan 06, 2019
malali:

Lets keep all conversations here,nothing to hide,others might learn as well.
It's all good!
Well, I'm a medical Student in one of the Nigeria Universities
With the hope of practicing in the Abroad ( North America precisely)
Is there any tips,?
Yeah I know I have to write USMLE.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jan 06, 2019
malali:

I see you do programming, I could give you some medical headway related artificial intelligence that could revolutionize the healthcare industry.
But then you would call it lies.........hahahaha.
You have to believe in yourself and accept help from others because you can't do it doesn't mean it can't be don't or those that did it are lying.
Take care, my friend.

BTW...I am not here to boast, just to encourage the young man.
I'm interested in the bolded wink
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by toysleek(f): 12:57pm On Jan 06, 2019
EbubeDam:

Guy dont quote me, go and check differences between environmental public health and public health proper and stop saying gibberish!!!!
One can't be an island of knowledge.. Why can't you learn? My colleague just finished MPH in OAU..She had Bsc in microbiology..

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Masterhub(m): 1:04pm On Jan 06, 2019
oke48:

I guess you would have to put a condition on this statement PhD holder employed in a federal university as lecturer 2 earns a meager 140k .

Even as a PhD student here in Europe, I earn more than what a professor earns in Nigeria. Please always condition your statement, his horizons may be more than what you're assuming. Not everyone would settle for less.

We know money is important but a succesful career is more important for now. If in a way, he finds biochemistry interesting and has a good GP, I could suggest he goes abroad for his MSc and PhD. He won't regret it. I have seen students in his field do extensive research in medical labs. Medicine is far more than just prescribing drugs or carrying out operations for sick patients.
I would like to ask you a question or two about PhD abroad. Thanks
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Neddyogu(m): 1:45pm On Jan 06, 2019
Iyajelili:

Sent u a DM. Let's communicate via email. Cheers
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 1:57pm On Jan 06, 2019
toysleek:

One can't be an island of knowledge.. Why can't you learn? My colleague just finished MPH in OAU..She had Bsc in microbiology.. You are either doing Environmental health or MPH..There's nothing like environmental public health..In fact MPH has core options and statistics option for people in monitoring and evaluation.

U saying thrash..
I don't need to keep saying tyn over nd over.
Use google nd suit ursef
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 1:59pm On Jan 06, 2019
dane15:

Enyi m, my advice to you is simple-What is your passion?

If you study and practise medicine for financial rewards in Nigeria, your tears go full bucket o. Why do you think they are always going on strike? And mind you, gone are the days of automatic jobs for Doctors o. The competition for the few vacancies in Private hospitals is stiff and that is one of the many reasons why they are leaving the country in droves.

On the Biochemistry, a lecturer in the Chemistry department of UI back in the days, Professor Adesomoju used to say that your BSc is a platform for you to achieve your dreams. Your Bsc simply shows that you are trainable. You can still end up as a Chartered Accountant, Architect, Banker if you strategize smartly. I assure you that with a 2:1, and good exposure to GMAT tests and job interviews, you will land a job in no time.

If you have less than a 2:1, you can also decide to take your Post Grad studies in Nigeria, lecture, work as an Industrial Biochemist, a medical biochemist or travel out of the country and take a bridge MSc between Biochemistry and Medicine/Engineering, become a Biomedical Engineer and change your life.

But at the end of the day, it is up to you.

U said it all chief!

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Samcent: 2:31pm On Jan 06, 2019
EbubeDam:

Hello, gud afternoon!
I have been following your submissions concerning who can be admitted for MPH program in Nigerian universities.
I'm sorry your facts are wrong! B.Sc in Biochemistry and Microbiology are FULLY ELIGIBLE to go for MPH. This am very sure of.

Note:
I am a public health practitioner- Immunization and Vaccine Logistics is my core area.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Abcruz(m): 2:45pm On Jan 06, 2019
Aremson14:
Good day everyone. I am a final yr biochemistry student. And i have been wondering what to do after school. Ive always dreamt of studying medicine but the situation here in Nigeria has discouraged me(due to how difficult it is to get the admission even after scoring good enough scores in Jamb and p.utme).

I'm speculating if i should take a direct entry form or i shld just head for my masters as soon as im done. Im quite young so i think if i go for my masters and phd as soon as im done i shall be a phd holder by 26 provided everything goes as planned. But then there is this medicine i also love.

Your advice would be appreciated especially those that have been in this situation before and have already passed through this, any regrets.

A dream left unfulfilled may turn into a nightmare. Follow your passion and give no room for excuses. Because an excuse is capable of executing a man.
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by toysleek(f): 3:09pm On Jan 06, 2019
EbubeDam:

my bad fir trying to clear you, dts y Africans wont grow.
Well Im a jnr reg in one of the teaching hospital in 9ja.
I hv my facts
You have no friggin' facts and you are not a junior reg..Why claiming to be a doctor when you are not? Wannabe..In Jan 2018, you claimed you were in 400l MLS, went through your posts and realized you've been interested in anything MLS.Better face your books and finish well because if you end up with a 2-2, no MPH for you oo

6 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Ayobami7(m): 3:40pm On Jan 06, 2019
德英国加
Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by cornel9297: 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2019
It is audible to the deaf and visible to the blind that you have passion for medicine and I will advice you to go for it.
Medicine is the only course that guarantees you job after graduation(whether LUCRATIVE or not) in this godforsaken country.

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by arinzos(m): 4:55pm On Jan 06, 2019
toysleek:

You have no friggin' facts and you are not a junior reg..Why claiming to be a doctor when you are not? Wannabe..In Jan 2018, you claimed you were in 400l MLS, went through your posts and realized you've been interested in anything MLS.Better face your books and finish well because if you end up with a 2-2, no MPH for you oo
Chai.
grin

4 Likes

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Amakababe(f): 5:22pm On Jan 06, 2019
malali:
I make over $800,000 dollars a year. At 40years I am a multi-millionaire ($$) Reading medicine is not all but its the first step.
I am a doctor.
oga my womb is open ooo. coman fùck abeg

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by ayanbaba2(m): 5:28pm On Jan 06, 2019
jason7:
Hi, my advice is to secure your future by going for medics, there nothing to show of your masters in your subject matter as of Nigeria of today believe it or not, so go for medicine, fortunately admission is still on at eko University of medical and health sciences , and they accept direct entry, jupeb,A levels and premed. you can call this no 08106172902, reach them via there website ekounimed.edu.ng and click there Facebook page for further Enquiry,hope this help.

do they offer nursing too?

am a graduate of biochemistry!

1 Like

Re: Advice: Should I Go For Medicine Or For A Masters? by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jan 06, 2019
menzo4u:

That is if the person asks for road earlier before missing road. This one don miss road. Do you know what it means to spend those precious years in the University only to end up asking this kind of question? This is a career-related question.

Immediately after secondary school, these are life issues that should have been clarified even before seeking admission into the University. Many people just want to be certificate holders without defined purpose in life.

In his own words, the OP said, " I am a final year student and I have been wondering what to do after school..." what a foolish statement!

boss, you have a point

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

If You Are A Genius, Answer This Question! / Okorocha To Build Islamic University In Daura, Buhari’s Hometown / Iyore Olaye Graduates From Ivy League School As Only Black Lady In 2016

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.