Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,601 members, 7,801,742 topics. Date: Thursday, 18 April 2024 at 09:40 PM

Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... (5867 Views)

Help A Brother, Tickling Noise At The Top And Bluish Smoke On Cold Start / Electrical Faults, Brain Box, Burnt Coil, New Engine On Nissan Moran 04 / Rattle Sound On Cold Start RX350 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 9:34am On Jan 06, 2019
Happy new year folks...

I recently did oil change for my a car,its a Toyota camry 2010 2.5L engine.Due to how busy i was during the service i didnt supervise.

I was driving days later when i saw oil lamp sign flashing on the dash board,i quickly pulled over and called my regular mechanic who inspected and discovered that the oil filter used was virtually disintegrated since it was small and was not appropriate hence blocking the flow of oil.

The filter was replaced with the right one and the flashing stopped.However,next day on cold start up i heard this rattling sound coming from the engine for like 2/3 seconds.Although car drives normal with no other issues.

How can it be fixed and what effect does it have on the engine?

NB:Sound only comes up on cold start.

CC:Gazzuzz,Ikenna351,others.

Please help.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by dru23(m): 11:01am On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:
Happy new year folks...

I recently did oil change for my a car,its a Toyota camry 2010 2.5L engine.Due to how busy i was during the service i didnt supervise.

I was driving days later when i saw oil lamp sign flashing on the dash board,i quickly pulled over and called my regular mechanic who inspected and discovered that the oil filter used was virtually disintegrated since it was small and was not appropriate hence blocking the flow of oil.

The filter was replaced with the right one and the flashing stopped.However,next day on cold start up i heard this rattling sound coming from the engine for like 2/3 seconds.Although car drives normal with no other issues.

Please help.
My advice take it to carquest / Radauto to have it checked out. At times the mechanic might over fill the engine oil .. Those kazzems mechanics don't give a "F" at all .. And also fake oil filters can potentially coz engine break down.. Have it check asap.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by HeavenlyBang(m): 11:04am On Jan 06, 2019
Hmmm.

Does it come back when you rev? You could be dealing with rod knock.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Connoisseur(m): 11:15am On Jan 06, 2019
I have had mine for over two years; 2007 Toyota Avalon. I had a bump brush against the oil sump, the rattling sound comes on cold start and you won't hear it till the next morning.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:26am On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:
Happy new year folks...

Please help.

when an engine looses oil pressure the first parts to suffer are the the parts at the top of the engine, camshaft, chain guides cam lobes etc. The next to follow are the crankshaft/bearings. As it is your engine narrowly survived a fatal engine freeze which would have been detrimental to your pocket. The design of the 2ar/2GR engines are awesome, oil flow/passages are over engineered, they provide protection over and beyond the call of duty.

Engine has suffered instant wear and tear that would have taken 5-10years to achieve by the actions that just happened. You can ignore the startup noise and engine will continue to serve without any further damage, or you can decide to rebuild the engine.

The options are yours.

Gazzuzz

Www.Gazzuzz.com
+2348033910382
Mainland Lagos.

3 Likes

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 12:13pm On Jan 06, 2019
Connoisseur:
I have had mine for over two years; 2007 Toyota Avalon. I had a bump brush against the oil sump, the rattling sound comes on cold start and you won't hear it till the next morning.

Exactly how it behaves,so how is the performance of your car these past years?
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 12:14pm On Jan 06, 2019
GAZZUZZ:

when an engine looses oil pressure the first parts to suffer are the the parts at the top of the engine, camshaft, chain guides cam lobes etc. The next to follow are the crankshaft/bearings. As it is your engine narrowly survived a fatal engine freeze which would have been detrimental to your pocket. The design of the 2ar/2GR engines are awesome, oil flow/passages are over engineered, they provide protection over and beyond the call of duty.

Engine has suffered instant wear and tear that would have taken 5-10years to achieve by the actions that just happened. You can ignore the startup noise and engine will continue to serve without any further damage, or you can decide to rebuild the engine.

The options are yours.

Gazzuzz

Www.Gazzuzz.com
+2348033910382
Mainland Lagos.

Thanks for your response,What are cost implications to fix it?I don't stay in Lagos.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 12:15pm On Jan 06, 2019
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 12:17pm On Jan 06, 2019
HeavenlyBang:
Hmmm.
Does it come back when you rev? You could be dealing with rod knock.
It doesn't...Only on cold start in the morning.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by HeavenlyBang(m): 12:21pm On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:

It doesn't...Only on cold start in the morning.
Just low oil pressure on cold startup, then. Gazzuzz pretty much has the gist of it. Since it's a short knock, you won't be dealing with much extensive damage over time. Live with it or rebuild.

If it ever becomes more severe, rebuild immediately.

1 Like

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:30pm On Jan 06, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Just low oil pressure on cold startup, then. Gazzuzz pretty much has the gist of it. Since it's a short knock, you won't be dealing with much extensive damage over time. Live with it or rebuild.

If it ever becomes more severe, rebuild immediately.

it could also be the type of oil he recently used after the failure. The 2ar and 2gr series have dual VVTI systems and quad VVTI systems respectively, it's easy to get away with it in the older 2az and 3mz series, but these newer engines have 0 tolerance for nonsense.

5 Likes

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by mayor2013: 12:39pm On Jan 06, 2019
You were close to having an engine lock. Here is another question here for you. What viscosity of engine oil have you been using. Expect to have the following changed

1) timing chain
2) timing chain damper
3) camshaft sprocket
4)timing chain adjuster (upon inspection)
5) camshaft bearings( upon inspection)

Lastly I hope your engine is sludge free. Reason for the question, if otherwise that's more commitment of funds What engine type do you have in it

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by jarkbauer: 1:56pm On Jan 06, 2019
Fix it ASAP. just googled it and this what i got.

Bolts used to secure the variable valve timing control device can become loose, causing the vehicle to stop while being driven. Early warning for this condition can be identified as a brief rattle noise for approximately 1 second upon a cold start-up.

Description of Problem:
The subject vehicles are equipped with a Variable-Valve Timing (VVT) system which controls the camshafts to provide optimal valve timing under certain driving conditions. The bolts used to secure the housing and sprocket of the intake-side VVT gear assembly could become loose due to abnormal impacts generated within the gear assembly immediately after a cold start-up.

If this occurs, the VVT gear will not control the intake valves correctly. In certain cases, the VVT gear housing and sprocket could separate and result in the engine stopping while the vehicle is being driven, increasing the risk of a crash.

Toyota theorized that the condition could be related to an engine noise issue at start-up being investigated on certain engines. The VVT internal component could rattle when the lock-pin, which latches to the VVT housing and secures the internal components to maintain the camshaft in the most delayed position, unlatches at cold-start. Toyota conducted reproduction testing and was able to duplicate noise but was unable to duplicate the loose bolts condition.

Through reproduction testing, Toyota confirmed that, with the lock-pin disengaged during a cold engine start, the impact force between the VVT internal component and the housing could become larger if engine oil, which is pumped into the VVT unit to control the position of the camshaft, drains back into the oil pan while parked. In addition, Toyota theorized that the impact force varies in specific engine types due to cam profile and intake valve spring load. Toyota continued its investigation and testing to clarify the relationship between the impact force exerted inside the VVT housing at cold-start and bolt loosening.

2 Likes

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 2:00pm On Jan 06, 2019
mayor2013:
You were close to having an engine lock. Here is another question here for you. What viscosity of engine oil have you been using. Expect to have the following changed

1) timing chain
2) timing chain damper
3) camshaft sprocket
4)timing chain adjuster (upon inspection)
5) camshaft bearings( upon inspection)

Lastly I hope your engine is sludge free. Reason for the question, if otherwise that's more commitment of funds What engine type do you have in it

Engine type is 2.5L 4-cylinder 2AR-FE engine...I actually switched from the 0w-40 to the recommended 5w-30 oil type.

But the main culprit like I said earlier and upon inspection was using a wrong oil filter which was found to be disintegrated thereby causing a blockage leading to loss of oil pressure.

Thanks for your input.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by jarkbauer: 2:01pm On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:

Engine type is 2.5L 4-cylinder 2AR-FE engine...I actually switched from the 0w-40 to the recommended 5w-30 oil type.

But the main culprit like I said earlier and upon inspection was using a wrong oil filter which was found to be disintegrated thereby causing a blockage leading to loss of oil pressure.

Thanks for your input.

I dont think its up to 3secs. 3secs is very long.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 2:03pm On Jan 06, 2019
jarkbauer:

I dont think its up to 3secs. 3secs is very long.
Like 2 secs...Actually very brief.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by mayor2013: 2:53pm On Jan 06, 2019
Engine needs to be split up
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 3:38pm On Jan 06, 2019
mayor2013:

Is there any effect detrimental to the engine if i continue to live with it?Car drives normal...
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by jarkbauer: 3:44pm On Jan 06, 2019
mayor2013:

Engine needs to be split up? whats that? making things complicated? google cold morning rattle camry. It is everywhere on the internet. You can even get a technical release on how to fix it. But it an expensive fix.

1 Like

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by mayor2013: 3:48pm On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:

Is there any effect detrimental to the engine if i continue to live with it?Car drives normal...

No effect on a short term but on a long term yes there would be
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by GAZZUZZ(m): 3:48pm On Jan 06, 2019
Now you have confused the poor man. cheesy

3 Likes

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by mayor2013: 3:51pm On Jan 06, 2019
Hi
jarkbauer:

Engine needs to be split up? whats that? making things complicated? google cold morning rattle camry. It is everywhere on the internet. You can even get a technical release on how to fix it. But it an expensive fix.

So how did your Google say it would be fixed. How do you change a timing chain guide for instance without taking things apart. Too much of a rush huh!! Calm down
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by mayor2013: 3:52pm On Jan 06, 2019
GAZZUZZ:
Now you have confused the poor man. cheesy

grin
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by mayor2013: 3:54pm On Jan 06, 2019
@ op . Change your oil viscosity as a first point of call to 0w20 since you have been using a wrong viscosity

1 Like

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by jarkbauer: 3:55pm On Jan 06, 2019
mayor2013:
Hi

So how did your Google say it would be fixed. How do you change a timing chain guide for instance without taking things apart. Too much of a rush huh!! Calm down

maybe you should explain what you mean by split up.(to separate out into parts, like dismantle the engine?)
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 4:56pm On Jan 06, 2019
mayor2013:

Not sure I want any kazeem ripping into the engine for the noise.it cld get worse...How i wish peeps like Gazzuzz are close by.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by HeavenlyBang(m): 7:12pm On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:

Not sure I want any kazeem ripping into the engine for the noise.it cld get worse...How i wish peeps like Gazzuzz are close by.

Carry am come gimme, I go fix everything.

1 Like

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 7:19pm On Jan 06, 2019
HeavenlyBang:

Carry am come gimme, I go fix everything.
I m located in Uyo... you?
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by bravolad(m): 7:33pm On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:

Thanks for your input.
[quote author=Rayd502 post=74502133]

You are still using the wrong engine oil. The recommended engine oil for the 2.5l 2AR-FE engine is 0w20.

1 Like

Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by Rayd502(m): 8:13pm On Jan 06, 2019
[quote author=bravolad post=74511541][/quote]

It is quite conflicting you know, 0w-20 is written on the engine cap,while on the manual that came with the car 5w-30 was stated as the appropriate oil for this particular engine.

I was using 0w-40 initially because I couldn't lay my hands on 0w-20.
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by bravolad(m): 8:23pm On Jan 06, 2019
Rayd502:

It is quite conflicting you know, 0w-20 is written on the engine cap,while on the manual that came with the car 5w-30 was stated as the appropriate oil for this particular engine.

I was using 0w-40 initially because I couldn't lay my hands on 0w-20.

There’s no conflict. You obviously have the wrong manual. Apparently, the oil filler cap on ur engine is been changed.

Even the predecessor engine 2az uses 5w20. So search for 0w20. It’s available
Re: Two Seconds Rattling Sound Coming From Engine On Cold Start .... by cardoctor(m): 9:50pm On Jan 06, 2019
@OP. I hope u r not choked up with all these suggestions. Adding mine may become an overload.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Where Can I Get The Best Car Painting Or Oven Bake In Ph - Port Harcourt / Carbon Cleaning For Your Engine Is Now Available / Gear Box Problem? Read My Experience.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.