Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,149,915 members, 7,806,659 topics. Date: Tuesday, 23 April 2024 at 08:01 PM

Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites (18191 Views)

Student Unknowingly Passes Night With Snake On Her Bed In Delta State (Video) / ASUU Disagree With Minister Of Education On E-learning / Education On Forex For Student (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by PointZerom: 9:19am On Jan 07, 2019
eliasjohn:
It is very difficult to identify the bite from the snake is dangerous or not. Sometimes the bites from snakes can cause a severe allergic reaction. If the snake doesn't release venom, such bite is a dry bite. It will be painful and may cause swelling and redness. If snake bites and releases poison into the wound, it is Venomous bites. The patient will suffer severe pain around the wound. Also, he may suffer from a headache, breathing difficulty, stomach pain, irregular heartbeat rate, muscle weakness etc. As a medical professional preparing for MOH exam from MOH coaching centre Kerala, I have attended many such cases in hospital.

Pls, can you help me on what to do when scorpion or centipede bites someone. Thanks
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by PointZerom: 9:22am On Jan 07, 2019
Boom33:
Lalasticlala's house

Lmao. ....Pls open a thread on this.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by profeazy: 9:28am On Jan 07, 2019
geezyk:
don't deceive people by telling them the shape of a snake's head determines if it's venom or not, The snake used as illustration for a non venomous snake has the same head as a BLACK MAMBA which is one of the deadliest snakes ever

The illustrator talked about the type of bite, not the head shape. Or does the mamba bite like a non-venomous snake?
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by geezyk(m): 9:34am On Jan 07, 2019
profeazy:

The illustrator talked about the type of bite, not the head shape. Or does the mamba bite like a non-venomous snake?
This you see the illustrations of the head shapes of venomous and non venomous snakes? please see the illustrations again.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by profeazy: 9:38am On Jan 07, 2019
Getintouch2004:

You are clearly half blind or something is seriously wrong with your Iris.

Did you not see the first picture showing their head shape and how he categorized it as venomous and non venomous?

No let me vex this morning ooo

Na the video I watch. The boy narrating did not talk about head. Only the photo did and he did not draw the photo. Watch the video and hear.

1 Like

Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by TOPCRUISE(m): 9:50am On Jan 07, 2019
kiddoiLL:
I've always wondered, in a country like this where our government hardly take anything about the people serious... In Nigeria here do we really have snakes anti-venoms?? I'm not looking to ridicule or paint out anything bad, I just need to know.
I'm that one guy who loves Nat Geo wild a lot and who loves watching documentary on Snakes and dealing with them..
Making anti venoms is very costly due to the production process.. our leaders are the I care less type... so I really don't know, are Nigerian hospitals equipped with Snake anti venoms??
Cause all I hear about mostly is being treated by one baba or the other
You see this cóuņtry caĺled Nigeria is all about our leaders. If snakes are kiĺling our leaders and politicians one by one it is then they will know that snakes anti venom is critical to health facilities of the nation
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by shakmati(m): 9:54am On Jan 07, 2019
humberjade:

What if d snake bites ur buttocks or tummy...where do one tie ojare? grin

Just tie your eyes and wait for it. That means your village people succeeded! grin grin grin

On a more serious note though, rush to the hospital and let's hope they have the right anti-venom.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by hahn(m): 10:30am On Jan 07, 2019
kiddoiLL:
I've always wondered, in a country like this where our government hardly take anything about the people serious... In Nigeria here do we really have snakes anti-venoms?? I'm not looking to ridicule or paint out anything bad, I just need to know.
I'm that one guy who loves Nat Geo wild a lot and who loves watching documentary on Snakes and dealing with them..
Making anti venoms is very costly due to the production process.. our leaders are the I care less type... so I really don't know, are Nigerian hospitals equipped with Snake anti venoms??

The only thing I got here is that snake venoms are costly. That is another business idea especially considering that Nigerian leaders are not concerned about it
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by boomssey(f): 10:33am On Jan 07, 2019
grin
EbukaHades10:
Me,see snake and wait?
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by kiddoiLL(m): 10:39am On Jan 07, 2019
hahn:

The only thing I got here is that snake venoms are costly. That is another business idea especially considering that Nigerian leaders are not concerned about it
Business idea maybe, you'd have to own a snake farm for start up, and doing that is one dangerous thing you don't wanna try, have different species of poisonous snakes in a building of your own (Which I'm sure you can't find one in Nigeria here, I can bet that)...
Then from your farm, you start to milk out Venoms from the fangs of those snakes, which isn't even much in quantity... another risky job, milking out venom from a live poisonous snake, though there are safety gloves to wear but anything can go wrong..
it's the whole processing and trying to create the anti venom from the venom you get that's the main issue, you'll need a multimillion dollar Lab and professionals.... woh make we no deceive ourselves Naija no get!! Some countries still import anti venoms, not to mention Naija having..
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by humberjade: 10:41am On Jan 07, 2019
shakmati:

Just tie your eyes and wait for it. That means your village people succeeded! grin grin grin

cheesy cheesy cheesy grin grin grin

Village people ke grin grin

shakmati:

On a more serious note though, rush to the hospital and let's hope they have the right anti-venom

It is better for one not to experience it at all...because it is baffling that a country with a large population of farmers is experiencing shortage of anti-venom...just like u mentioned, it is either one ties his eyes and wait for it or go d traditional way...at least our forefathers who were mostly farmers must have survived with d help of some antidotes...if we can't import, why can't our govt encourage local hunters and herbalists to find a way out...But are we even cursed as a country; must we import everything?

2 Likes

Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by GogetterMD(m): 10:45am On Jan 07, 2019
kiddoiLL:
Yes, there are antivenoms in the country, though the availability is mostly restricted to high attack-prone areas such as the Plateau and Taraba plains. Availability of antivenoms is also a global issue, as it was declared a public health issue at the last World Health Assembly as one of the Neglected Tropical Diseases to be focused on
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by AreaFada2: 10:48am On Jan 07, 2019
humberjade:

What if d snake bites ur buttocks or tummy...where do one tie ojare? grin

You be real werey. grin cheesy
What is your buttocks doing on the ground in the bush or road? grin

Truly snakebite in 9ja is just luck to survive it, if it injected its venom fully. Just hope it's not the most venomous snakes like mamba, viper or cobra.

Farmers in rural areas are most at risk. Exactly areas where medical facilities are few, poorly equipped or non-existent.

Australia with so many venomous snakes like Inland Taipan (world's most venomous) have done a good job producing anti-venom.

Nigeria should by now have much expertise considering high rate of bites in farming communities, especially areas like Gombe, Plateau, Bauchi, Taraba, Borno, Adamawa and other places. Especially for carpet viper that bites the most in the area, especially during raining season, harvest and flooding periods.

We still import Echitab anti-venom from Costa Rica and questionable/poor quality ones from India after all these years.

We export live snakes only to get expensive anti-venom back. Like we cheaply export crude oil and get refined petrol, kerosene, jet fuel etc back at expensive rates. Na wa for 9ja o.

1 Like

Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by kiddoiLL(m): 10:48am On Jan 07, 2019
GogetterMD:

Yes, there are antivenoms in the country, though the availability is mostly restricted to high attack-prone areas such as the Plateau and Taraba plains. Availability of antivenoms is also a global issue, as it was declared a public health issue at the last World Health Assembly as one of the Neglected Tropical Diseases to be focused on
Imported anti venoms right? Cus I can bet Nigeria can't create anti venoms yet
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by hahn(m): 10:54am On Jan 07, 2019
kiddoiLL:
Business idea maybe, you'd have to own a snake farm for start up, and doing that is one dangerous thing you don't wanna try, have different species of poisonous snakes in a building of your own (Which I'm sure you can't find one in Nigeria here, I can bet that)...
Then from your farm, you start to milk out Venoms from the fangs of those snakes, which isn't even much in quantity... another risky job, milking out venom from a live poisonous snake, though there are safety gloves to wear but anything can go wrong..
it's the whole processing and trying to create the anti venom from the venom you get that's the main issue, you'll need a multimillion dollar Lab and professionals.... woh make we no deceive ourselves Naija no get!! Some countries still import anti venoms, not to mention Naija having..

I was talking about privately though.

The Nigerian government don't have any service.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by kiddoiLL(m): 10:57am On Jan 07, 2019
hahn:

I was talking about privately though.

The Nigerian government don't have any service.
Yea I know you were that's why I said it could be a business idea but close to impossible in this Naija, due to d procedures and requirements.. I'm not sure the government will license anybody to have a snake farm in naija
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by humberjade: 10:57am On Jan 07, 2019
AreaFada2:

You be real werey. grin cheesy
What is your buttocks doing on the ground in the bush or road? grin

Truly snakebite in 9ja is just luck to survive it, if it injected its venom fully. Just hope it's not the most venomous snakes like mamba, viper or cobra.

Farmers in rural areas are most at risk. Exactly areas where medical facilities are few, poorly equipped or non-existent.

Australia with so many venomous snakes like Inland Taipan (world's most venomous) have done a good job producing anti-venom.

Nigeria should by now have much expertise considering high rate of bites in farming communities, especially areas like Gombe, Plateau, Bauchi, Taraba, Borno, Adamawa and other places. Especially for carpet viper that bites the most in the area, especially during raining season, haarvest and flooding periods.

We still import Echitab anti-venom from Costa Rica and questionable/poor quality ones from India after all these years.

We export live snakes only to get expensive anti-venom back. Like we cheaply export crude oil and get refined petrol, kerosene, jet fuel etc back at expensive rates. Na wa for 9ja o.

Imagine a farmer doing d no2 in d bush or taking a nap after a hectic session on his farm...u can't be too sure u know... grin grin grin

It is sad that we give a lot and take crumbs back from these countries....but my question is, can't we produce them locally? At least our forefathers who were mostly farmers must have survived these bites with some local anti-venom
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by hahn(m): 10:58am On Jan 07, 2019
kiddoiLL:
Yea I know you were that's why I said it could be a business idea but close to impossible in this Naija, due to d procedures and requirements.. I'm not sure the government will license anybody to have a snake farm in naija

They will when they see money. No be naija? grin
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by lorhema(f): 11:03am On Jan 07, 2019
hahn:

Some people are into the business. That is why you hear about people who own snake farms. They suppy snakes to foreign institutions which produce anti-venom.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by onyekabe(m): 11:09am On Jan 07, 2019
Africa is lacking behind in medicine because we fail to work on African medicine. I have been beaten by a snake twice. The first thing to do when beaten by Snake is to cut the bite open, the more open the cut the better and suck out the blood. Care must be taken not to swallow.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by hahn(m): 11:27am On Jan 07, 2019
lorhema:

Some people are into the business. That is why you hear about people who own snake farms. They suppy snakes to foreign institutions which produce anti-venom.

Do you know the location of anyone?

The only place I know is where they sell snake meat peppersoup grin
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by psalmmycapo(m): 12:29pm On Jan 07, 2019
profeazy:
Snake bites are one of the deadliest form of accidents that occur in the tropics. It is important we know how to differentiate poisonous from non poisonous snakes.
Knowing if the snake that bit someone is poisonous or not could be the difference between life and death. This photo tells how to differentiate between the bites of both.

It is also necessary a person with a snake bite does not panic. Tie the affected area to reduce blood flow from the area to the heart and seek immediate medical attention. Sucking out the poison could be dangerous!

The Cobra is one poisonous snake that is found in Africa and Asia. In this short clip, Adael the Creature Teacher, a wildlife wizkid who is just 11 years old tells us more about snakes. Watch attentively. You might just learn a fact or two you could use to save a life someday.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7PGtagSmaA
this picture is lame one of the deadliest snakes in the world and probably the most deadliest in africa the green and black mamba bith have heads like that which you have slated to be heads of non venomous snakes so please dont derail the public incentive on snakes... most snakes in africa are extremely dangerous we have very snakes in africa that are not... the only thing you should know is this.... while some snakes have venom others job is to cinstrict so when you probably see snakes like pythons and boa constrictors and anacondas and the other that have very large body... you shouldn't be concerned about them biting you actually they might just to hold on but this snakes job is to constrict which us as dangerous as their venom dont underestimate them... they can break ones hand with just constriction...so basically y'all should be extremely careful...and once that picture of heads of snakes for verification is lame... and wrong thanks.. for more you can watch ob nat geo wild or log in to snakes in the city...
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by GIFTD: 12:36pm On Jan 07, 2019
Here in nairaland everyone is free to type all sorts of rubbish but it's ur duty to find out the truth. Polyvalent anti venom are common, it's only the monovalent ones that are scarce because of the cost of production specie specificity so that it is only at places where the specie abound that it's needed that u can find them
kiddoiLL:
Because even some modernized aDear sister Blessing, how's is Chukwuememeka doing? Tell ur sister to include vit.c while purchasing the cough syrup. On no account should that boy cough or run nose because it provoke the nosebleed. Tnxnd European countries still struggle to keep up producing it, it's not an easy thing to produce...it's not as if it's produced in factories like drugs... If you know how valuable Snake anti venom is and how hard it is to produce, you'll understand why I'm asking
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by goodnewscliff(m): 12:43pm On Jan 07, 2019
inland taipan..... d most deadliest snake in d world.... e get anti venom
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by kiddoiLL(m): 12:49pm On Jan 07, 2019
GIFTD:
Here in nairaland everyone is free to type all sorts of rubbish but it's ur duty to find out the truth. Polyvalent anti venom are common, it's only the monovalent ones that are scarce because of the cost of production specie specificity so that it is only at places where the specie abound that it's needed that u can find them
Uncle I only asked a question at first if Nigerian hospitals do didn't I?
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by Arcmida(m): 4:08pm On Jan 07, 2019
I heard a victim should eat the cooked head of the snake
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by AreaFada2: 6:02pm On Jan 07, 2019
humberjade:

Imagine a farmer doing d no2 in d bush or taking a nap after a hectic session on his farm...u can't be too sure u know... grin grin grin

It is sad that we give a lot and take crumbs back from these countries....but my question is, can't we produce them locally? At least our forefathers who were mostly farmers must have survived these bites with some local anti-venom

In theory we can. But like every other aspect of life, we do not fund research purposefully to achieve self-sufficiency in any given sphere. So we seek the easy (but often expensive) way out: importation.

You basically have to follow FOUR key steps in aniti-venom (AV) in production: extract anti-venom, inject very minute amount into chosen domestic animals, extract the plasma/purity to removes microbes/viruses and other impurities with product quality control AND officially formulate the product for the market/use.

Of course each of the FOUR steps involves several things in it. Of which from step three to four pre-clinical & clinical trials are CRUCIAL to assess efficacy, safety/side effects and viability over time. For example a storage process that will not render the AV inefficient has to be devised considering that rural areas where they are MOST needed may not have stable electricity or electricity at all. Antivenom (a protein) is very susceptible to heat.

In the West, monoclonal anti-bodies are made in university labs. Undergraduate stuff. Any life science or medical student worth his salt will have done same or at least tried at undergrad level. So if employed in Biotech company later, the whole anti-body process won't come as a surprise, albeit in industrial scale.

1 Like

Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by GogetterMD(m): 6:12pm On Jan 07, 2019
kiddoiLL:
Imported anti venoms right? Cus I can bet Nigeria can't create anti venoms yet
Yes, imported. Not a lot of countries manufacture amtivenom as its research is capital intensive
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by lastmaster(m): 10:34pm On Jan 07, 2019
Op you mean that when we see a snake, we should start observing their head shapes and fang to know whether they are venomous or not.You need a brain transplant guy.As far I am concerned, snakes should be treated as one I.e venomous.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by humberjade: 10:40pm On Jan 07, 2019
AreaFada2:

In theory we can. But like every other aspect of life, we do not fund research purposefully to achieve self-sufficiency in any given sphere. So we seek the easy (but often expensive way) out: importation.

You basically have to follow FOUR key steps aniti-venom (AV) in production: extract anti-venom, inject very minute amount into chosen domestic animals, extract the plasma/purity to removes microbes/viruses and other impurities with product quality control AND officially formulate the product for the market/use.

Of course each of the FOUR steps involve several things in it. Of which from step three to four pre-clinical & clinical trials are CRUCIAL to assess efficacy, safety/side effects and viability over time. For example a storage process that will not render the AV inefficient has to be devised considering that rural areas where they are MOST may not have stable electricity or electricity at all. Antivenom (a protein) is very susceptible to heat.

In the West, monoclonal anti-bodies are made in university labs. Undergraduate stuff. Any life science or medical student worth his salt will have done same or at least tried at undergrad level. So if employed in Biotech company later, the whole anti-body process won't come as a surprise, albeit in industrial scale.

May God help us in this country...i know we will get it right someday...but in d meantime, i expect varsities who have d capability to finance such projects like Covenant should pursue it....since our public varsities are just too stagnant and underfunded to do so.
Re: Some Education On Dealing With Snake Bites by AreaFada2: 11:03am On Jan 08, 2019
GogetterMD:

Yes, imported. Not a lot of countries manufacture amtivenom as its research is capital intensive

Actually this is no excuse. Money stolen by one governor can more than do it. Much of the research has been done abroad that we can learn from.

Considering that we only need to work on around 5 most common venomous snakes (carpet viper being by far the most important), it cannot cost that much. We lots of the snake around. Extracting the venom is pretty low tech too. We have a reasonably large number of bite victims for clinical trial. So the costly part would be actual serum production in animals, purification and formulation.

(1) (2) (Reply)

ASUU Holds Street Rallies In Onitsha And Awka. / 2012/ 2013 Waec Gce Registration / WAEC: Computer-based Test Will Lead To Mass Failure In Northern Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 101
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.