Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,468 members, 7,808,686 topics. Date: Thursday, 25 April 2024 at 03:20 PM

Virus Threathens My Job - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Virus Threathens My Job (1090 Views)

How Can I Create A Virus Or Malware? / Please How Do I Remove Shortcut Virus On My Android. / Can A Jpeg, Png Or Gif Carry Virus? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Virus Threathens My Job by aribells(m): 9:23am On Apr 18, 2007
Good day My fellow Naira Landers

I do not know where to post this, but i know i need Solution

I work with an American oil servicing firm in Nigeria
Just like any other Corporate Organization Browsing is an Offense
Except for official Purpose or outside work hours

when i get to office i usually sign in my messanger to see upcoming mails
One of my friends on my messanger list said i should Click a link to see his Picture

That was the Genesis of the problem
Unknown to me it was a Virus
This are now the effects
It has made the Site my permanent home page
It automatically sent the link to all the contact in my list, some of who i know will have clicked it an now be facing the same problem
My Task manager is no longer active.
Run is no longer available on my system.
If i want to compose an email, once i type the email i want to send it to, and i type the subject it will just add the following for me
"Click www, com to check out my pics" and send the message Automatically

From my Knowledge the Virus is a program that is runing. that is why it has disabled the task manager so that i cannot end the Program.

Please does anyone have an idea to the solution.

What i just discovered is that the it has now spread to two system in the company
The Virus is not only threathning My computer and Network.
It is threathning My JOb
Re: Virus Threathens My Job by Chiz2(m): 10:17am On Apr 18, 2007
use ur XP CD to repair it

C:\chkdsk /r

then install a good antivirus program.
i'd recommend avg or bitdefender which u can download 4 free
then scan for the virus

Alternatively, run the windows restore under accessories, system tools
restore as far back as u feel comfy with i.e a week b4 d virus effects started
than get an antivirus prog and scan thoroughly
Re: Virus Threathens My Job by alexis(m): 8:19am On Apr 19, 2007
SOrry oh!,

Seems it's time you leave microsh*t - Try and explore MACs and other linux distributions, SUSE is good.
Re: Virus Threathens My Job by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 10:51am On Apr 19, 2007
Hi alexis,

I'm sorry about the virus issue. If its the virus i'm suspecting i.e a trojan-gen, the run disappears and the virus duplicates the internet explorer icon on your desktop and start up menu. you must first install an antivirus. AVG home edition is good, but i use avast home edition. its free and can be downloaded from

www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html
www.download.com/Avast-Home-Edition/3000-2239_4-10375520.html .

When installing, don't install to the default location which is the c drive. The virus has a way of destroying some vital files there so the antivirus wont work properly. Create a folder on the desk top and install to the folder. Then scan.

After that, use the windows cd and repair your system as follows C:\chkdsk /r

Restoring your system may not solve the problem cos the virus also blocks that. After restoring and the system reboots, the system would tell you that the restore operation could not work. So restoring may be out of it.

You may have to manually delete the duplicated internet explorer icon from the desktop and start menu. You may also have to manually change your internet explorer home page as follows: open the internet explorer page, click on tools, internet options, and under home page, click on "use blank".

It you are in the IT dept, from your system, scan all the computers on your network. If your company runs on a unix or linux server, the virus won't affect the server.

Wish you the best and hope this does not affect your job
Re: Virus Threathens My Job by alexis(m): 3:53pm On Apr 20, 2007
sleek chic,

I am not the one the one with the virus issue but thanks anyways.

(1) (Reply)

Books You Can't Do Without -- The Very Best You've Read / Software Testing / Newbie Needs Help In 'programming'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.